IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:19 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Unfortunately for me, your argument for why class rank isn't the only important factor only strengthens my initial belief. Lol I have no substantial prior WE, UG majors are useless (Sociology, Philosophy, and Criminology), and average/sub-par people skills. Unless I get on a journal, it looks like I better get good grades!



I don't want to sound like a dick but... Fuck, you sure you want to go to law school right now? This is quite a claim, and basically says "Hey, I'm only gonna get a job if a firm blindly offers those with good grades without looking at anything else" and that just doesn't happen. You could work for a few years, figure out how to network and further your people skills, then come to law school.

That being said, maybe your people skills aren't average/sub-par as you think. I thought my people skills were pretty average until I came to law school and realize that, actually, they are quite good in comparison.


Lol I can always leave it to you to get all hot and bothered. I'm just trying to be honest about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not going to go in thinking "I've got a job made!" I lack skills in some areas and subsequently need to make up for them other places. And when I say I don't have excellent people skills, I just mean that I'm not the most memorable person. I can interview well and am a friendly person, I just wasn't blessed with an engaging and dynamic personality. Taking a few years off won't change the personality I have lol.

I know it'll be tough to get a job. Hence why I refuse to pay even just 50k for my education.



People can learn to do a lot of things out of necessity. Maybe you need someone or something to light a fire under you to get a sense of urgency.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Unfortunately for me, your argument for why class rank isn't the only important factor only strengthens my initial belief. Lol I have no substantial prior WE, UG majors are useless (Sociology, Philosophy, and Criminology), and average/sub-par people skills. Unless I get on a journal, it looks like I better get good grades!



I don't want to sound like a dick but... Fuck, you sure you want to go to law school right now? This is quite a claim, and basically says "Hey, I'm only gonna get a job if a firm blindly offers those with good grades without looking at anything else" and that just doesn't happen. You could work for a few years, figure out how to network and further your people skills, then come to law school.

That being said, maybe your people skills aren't average/sub-par as you think. I thought my people skills were pretty average until I came to law school and realize that, actually, they are quite good in comparison.


Lol I can always leave it to you to get all hot and bothered. I'm just trying to be honest about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not going to go in thinking "I've got a job made!" I lack skills in some areas and subsequently need to make up for them other places. And when I say I don't have excellent people skills, I just mean that I'm not the most memorable person. I can interview well and am a friendly person, I just wasn't blessed with an engaging and dynamic personality. Taking a few years off won't change the personality I have lol.

I know it'll be tough to get a job. Hence why I refuse to pay even just 50k for my education.



Step one: stop thinking you get people "hot and bothered" when they make a suggestion. Reason 1) it sounds like you think you sexually excite me, which I can promise is not true and 2) it shows that you read things posted in a very negative light.

I'm sitting in class and am pretty sure my heart rate has been consistent all day. I was merely trying to point out the things that are useful in being successful in law school. Which is why I added the second part about most people here not really having that good of social skills anyway.

Although, it is a little warm in here...

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:Step one: stop thinking you get people "hot and bothered" when they make a suggestion. Reason 1) it sounds like you think you sexually excite me, which I can promise is not true and 2) it shows that you read things posted in a very negative light.

I'm sitting in class and am pretty sure my heart rate has been consistent all day. I was merely trying to point out the things that are useful in being successful in law school. Which is why I added the second part about most people here not really having that good of social skills anyway.

Although, it is a little warm in here...

I thought the same thing.

User avatar
nickjive
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby nickjive » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute. We're NOT supposed to get people sexually excited on TLS?

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby btw384 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 pm

ITT: shredderrrrrr sexually assaults TLSers with seemingly innocuous phrases.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Unfortunately for me, your argument for why class rank isn't the only important factor only strengthens my initial belief. Lol I have no substantial prior WE, UG majors are useless (Sociology, Philosophy, and Criminology), and average/sub-par people skills. Unless I get on a journal, it looks like I better get good grades!



I don't want to sound like a dick but... Fuck, you sure you want to go to law school right now? This is quite a claim, and basically says "Hey, I'm only gonna get a job if a firm blindly offers those with good grades without looking at anything else" and that just doesn't happen. You could work for a few years, figure out how to network and further your people skills, then come to law school.

That being said, maybe your people skills aren't average/sub-par as you think. I thought my people skills were pretty average until I came to law school and realize that, actually, they are quite good in comparison.


Lol I can always leave it to you to get all hot and bothered. I'm just trying to be honest about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm not going to go in thinking "I've got a job made!" I lack skills in some areas and subsequently need to make up for them other places. And when I say I don't have excellent people skills, I just mean that I'm not the most memorable person. I can interview well and am a friendly person, I just wasn't blessed with an engaging and dynamic personality. Taking a few years off won't change the personality I have lol.

I know it'll be tough to get a job. Hence why I refuse to pay even just 50k for my education.



Step one: stop thinking you get people "hot and bothered" when they make a suggestion. Reason 1) it sounds like you think you sexually excite me, which I can promise is not true and 2) it shows that you read things posted in a very negative light.

I'm sitting in class and am pretty sure my heart rate has been consistent all day. I was merely trying to point out the things that are useful in being successful in law school. Which is why I added the second part about most people here not really having that good of social skills anyway.

Although, it is a little warm in here...


Obviously you missed the two lol's in my response indicating that I wasn't really trying to attack you.

And I didn't even think about "hot and bothered" being taken like that lol. I have always used it as it's defined in the dictionary as "flustered: thrown into a state of agitated confusion." Lol I guess I should've checked out the "urban" dictionary. Come on, get with the times shredderrrrrr.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:05 pm

If this thread is any indication of next year, class of 2015 will definitely be a party

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:10 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:Shredderrrr, I think we are somewhat alike regarding this. I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think though, as long as you can fake it. Even basic sales/customer service jobs can show you whether you can interact. If you can be courteous, make eye contact, etc. you can probably get by just fine as long as you know what you are doing.


You get the distinction I'm trying to make! Just because I don't have the most enigmatic personality doesn't mean I can't be successful. I've had to deal with clients in tons of jobs and have done great at it. In fact, I got a pay raise at an old job due to receiving unsolicited positive customer feedback. My bosses tend to like me as well. I can fake it pretty well and can interact successfully. It is just my shy-ness that prevents me from truly being a personable character.

I guess I should've just said I have "average" social skills. I just meant to say that compared to people like my girlfriend who make people instantly fall in love with them due to their unique and engaging personality, I am pretty bland. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't build relationships/successfully communicate with others.

All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm

People can learn to do a lot of things out of necessity. Maybe you need someone or something to light a fire under you to get a sense of urgency.


Hmmm...that fire is getting me all hot and bothered now

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:17 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.


Both of the two.

ETA: add sales and call center to that list as well. We should require these like some countries require military service.

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby btw384 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.


Both of the two.

ETA: add sales and call center to that list as well. We should require these like some countries require military service.

I don't think I would wish call center work on my worst enemy.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:20 pm

btw384 wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.


Both of the two.

ETA: add sales and call center to that list as well. We should require these like some countries require military service.

I don't think I would wish call center work on my worst enemy.


I have about ten years of experience in it at various levels. This is why I don't fear law school in the least.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.


Both of the two.

ETA: add sales and call center to that list as well. We should require these like some countries require military service.


And blue collar work! Lol I worked at a steel fabrication/foundry equipment company and it was the hardest shit I've ever done. It a. gave me tons of respect for blue-collar workers and b. showed me that I had to have a white-collar career (because I am too much of a bitch to handle steel all day).

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


Too bad, bartending is a lot of fun. I personally think everyone should work in food or drink service at some point in their life, it builds character. Or I shouldn't be the only one to have had to suffer through it. One of the two.


Both of the two.

ETA: add sales and call center to that list as well. We should require these like some countries require military service.


And blue collar work! Lol I worked at a steel fabrication/foundry equipment company and it was the hardest shit I've ever done. It a. gave me tons of respect for blue-collar workers and b. showed me that I had to have a white-collar career (because I am too much of a bitch to handle steel all day).


I did one of those and it had the OPPOSITE effect. Of course, it was probably less physically demanding than steel, but it made me see that the people that worked there were unintelligent, hypocritical, and hateful. I couldn't stand it. Plus I hated that they always wanted more money for work I felt like a robot or monkey could be doing.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:28 pm

I did one of those and it had the OPPOSITE effect. Of course, it was probably less physically demanding than steel, but it made me see that the people that worked there were unintelligent, hypocritical, and hateful. I couldn't stand it. Plus I hated that they always wanted more money for work I felt like a robot or monkey could be doing.


Really? Granted, my co-workers weren't the most upstanding people, but they were all in their 40's, working long hours for shit pay to support their families, and were grinding/welding/transporting steel in the middle of an Iowa summer. I feel like people always assume that because these jobs have very light qualifications to be obtained, they are inherently of lower value. Hell, if I had my choice, I'd rather spend 50 years in an intellectually challenging job over a physically demanding job regardless of pay.

btw384
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby btw384 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Opie wrote:I have about ten years of experience in it at various levels. This is why I don't fear law school in the least.

Damn. I'd say you're ready for anything after that WE.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I did one of those and it had the OPPOSITE effect. Of course, it was probably less physically demanding than steel, but it made me see that the people that worked there were unintelligent, hypocritical, and hateful. I couldn't stand it. Plus I hated that they always wanted more money for work I felt like a robot or monkey could be doing.


Really? Granted, my co-workers weren't the most upstanding people, but they were all in their 40's, working long hours for shit pay to support their families, and were grinding/welding/transporting steel in the middle of an Iowa summer. I feel like people always assume that because these jobs have very light qualifications to be obtained, they are inherently of lower value. Hell, if I had my choice, I'd rather spend 50 years in an intellectually challenging job over a physically demanding job regardless of pay.


This is the part that bothered me the most. That place was probably the most hostile place to work on the planet. Since people there crudely discussed sexually explicit topics in the breakroom and even in shift meetings all the time, one of the new guys thought it would be okay to mention he talked his girl into some less-standard stuff. He was referred to as "the [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]" for the remainder of the time I worked there (another 4 months) and probably still is if he's there.

Basically, if your interests were outside of beer, NASCAR, and maybe football, you were nothing to them. Plus they make $60k a year to climb up a and down a ladder and push boxes of plastic around all day.

Granted, that's not to say that every place is like that, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
I did one of those and it had the OPPOSITE effect. Of course, it was probably less physically demanding than steel, but it made me see that the people that worked there were unintelligent, hypocritical, and hateful. I couldn't stand it. Plus I hated that they always wanted more money for work I felt like a robot or monkey could be doing.


Really? Granted, my co-workers weren't the most upstanding people, but they were all in their 40's, working long hours for shit pay to support their families, and were grinding/welding/transporting steel in the middle of an Iowa summer. I feel like people always assume that because these jobs have very light qualifications to be obtained, they are inherently of lower value. Hell, if I had my choice, I'd rather spend 50 years in an intellectually challenging job over a physically demanding job regardless of pay.


This is the part that bothered me the most. That place was probably the most hostile place to work on the planet. Since people there crudely discussed sexually explicit topics in the breakroom and even in shift meetings all the time, one of the new guys thought it would be okay to mention he talked his girl into some less-standard stuff. He was referred to as "the [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]" for the remainder of the time I worked there (another 4 months) and probably still is if he's there.

Basically, if your interests were outside of beer, NASCAR, and maybe football, you were nothing to them. Plus they make $60k a year to climb up a and down a ladder and push boxes of plastic around all day.

Granted, that's not to say that every place is like that, but it just left a bad taste in my mouth.


Haha I don't blame you then. The guys I worked with didn't really talk; they just got their shit done (this is probably a result of their age). Every once in a while they'd tell me about music I had to check out but that was the extent of it. Lol I'm glad I didn't work where you did. I wouldn't have lasted a day...

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:05 pm

In other news, there's a 164/3.74 on LSN that got a full-tuition scholly. That's exciting!

Bmarce
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Bmarce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Opie wrote:In other news, there's a 164/3.74 on LSN that got a full-tuition scholly. That's exciting!


I guess this person is a non URM? I was looking through past years on LSN, I have seen people with much worse numbers get full rides from Iowa....

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Bmarce wrote:
Opie wrote:In other news, there's a 164/3.74 on LSN that got a full-tuition scholly. That's exciting!


I guess this person is a non URM? I was looking through past years on LSN, I have seen people with much worse numbers get full rides from Iowa....


No URM status listed.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/game6

Bmarce
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Bmarce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Opie wrote:
Bmarce wrote:
Opie wrote:In other news, there's a 164/3.74 on LSN that got a full-tuition scholly. That's exciting!


I guess this person is a non URM? I was looking through past years on LSN, I have seen people with much worse numbers get full rides from Iowa....


No URM status listed.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/game6



I was just saying that I was not surprised by the offer, seeing as how they have given fullrides to people with lesser numbers. That is not to say that I understand their methodology for deciding scholarship amounts. It likely differs for URMs. Two examples from past years: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cre8tive262
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mcfielch

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:24 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Shredderrrr, I think we are somewhat alike regarding this. I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think though, as long as you can fake it. Even basic sales/customer service jobs can show you whether you can interact. If you can be courteous, make eye contact, etc. you can probably get by just fine as long as you know what you are doing.


You get the distinction I'm trying to make! Just because I don't have the most enigmatic personality doesn't mean I can't be successful. I've had to deal with clients in tons of jobs and have done great at it. In fact, I got a pay raise at an old job due to receiving unsolicited positive customer feedback. My bosses tend to like me as well. I can fake it pretty well and can interact successfully. It is just my shy-ness that prevents me from truly being a personable character.

I guess I should've just said I have "average" social skills. I just meant to say that compared to people like my girlfriend who make people instantly fall in love with them due to their unique and engaging personality, I am pretty bland. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't build relationships/successfully communicate with others.

All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


I think you mean charismatic?

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm

typ3 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Shredderrrr, I think we are somewhat alike regarding this. I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think though, as long as you can fake it. Even basic sales/customer service jobs can show you whether you can interact. If you can be courteous, make eye contact, etc. you can probably get by just fine as long as you know what you are doing.


You get the distinction I'm trying to make! Just because I don't have the most enigmatic personality doesn't mean I can't be successful. I've had to deal with clients in tons of jobs and have done great at it. In fact, I got a pay raise at an old job due to receiving unsolicited positive customer feedback. My bosses tend to like me as well. I can fake it pretty well and can interact successfully. It is just my shy-ness that prevents me from truly being a personable character.

I guess I should've just said I have "average" social skills. I just meant to say that compared to people like my girlfriend who make people instantly fall in love with them due to their unique and engaging personality, I am pretty bland. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't build relationships/successfully communicate with others.

All I'm trying to say is that I probably wouldn't make a good bartender lol.


I think you mean charismatic?


No, I thought having a mysterious/difficult to understand personality was a good thing?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Baby Gaga, cathy95, Justtrying2help, mike90018, swoonster, tylergreenandgold and 15 guests