IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:42 pm

game6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
chill wrote:Breaks my heart because this has been such a fun thread, but just withdrew from Iowa. Hoping that opens up a spot for one of y'all on the WL or still waiting to hear back.

(I just got tired of wondering when scholarship info would come out)


Yikes, poor form... I got my scholarship info on this day last year. I hope you don't get a full ride in the mail that was mailed before you withdrew... :D


Word, I just got mine yesterday.


Oh myyyyyyy. Going downstairs to check my mail now. Will let y'all know.

ETA: no envelope of regret. Honestly, Iowa would've had to have given me a full ride + living expenses + the ability to spend winters in not Iowa. Liked the school, but I don't want to live in the midwest permanently and their placement into my preferred region is pretty rough.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:54 pm

chill wrote:
game6 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
chill wrote:Breaks my heart because this has been such a fun thread, but just withdrew from Iowa. Hoping that opens up a spot for one of y'all on the WL or still waiting to hear back.

(I just got tired of wondering when scholarship info would come out)


Yikes, poor form... I got my scholarship info on this day last year. I hope you don't get a full ride in the mail that was mailed before you withdrew... :D


Word, I just got mine yesterday.


Oh myyyyyyy. Going downstairs to check my mail now. Will let y'all know.

ETA: no envelope of regret. Honestly, Iowa would've had to have given me a full ride + living expenses + the ability to spend winters in not Iowa. Liked the school, but I don't want to live in the midwest permanently and their placement into my preferred region is pretty rough.


Yeah, if you're looking for outside the midwest, this is probably not the place. What region are you hoping for? Have you been accepted anywhere in that region?

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Opie wrote:
Yeah, if you're looking for outside the midwest, this is probably not the place. What region are you hoping for? Have you been accepted anywhere in that region?


Looking to get back to the west coast (particularly the Pacific Northwest) eventually. I'm in to our lower-ranked law school out here and WL'ed at the University of Washington. Honestly, I think I'll probably end up at Northwestern-- their placement rates seem fairly promising for the west and I'm really excited by their course offerings and culture. What're you thinking?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm

chill wrote:
Opie wrote:
Yeah, if you're looking for outside the midwest, this is probably not the place. What region are you hoping for? Have you been accepted anywhere in that region?


Looking to get back to the west coast (particularly the Pacific Northwest) eventually. I'm in to our lower-ranked law school out here and WL'ed at the University of Washington. Honestly, I think I'll probably end up at Northwestern-- their placement rates seem fairly promising for the west and I'm really excited by their course offerings and culture. What're you thinking?


Well, I'm dead set on staying in Des Moines, so I'll probably go to Drake. I think my chances at Des Moines employment are good there and I have a pretty decent scholarship offer. Iowa could still send me a scholly, but I don't think I have the cash flow for the living expenses while still supporting my family back in Des Moines.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 am

chill wrote:
Opie wrote:
Yeah, if you're looking for outside the midwest, this is probably not the place. What region are you hoping for? Have you been accepted anywhere in that region?


Looking to get back to the west coast (particularly the Pacific Northwest) eventually. I'm in to our lower-ranked law school out here and WL'ed at the University of Washington. Honestly, I think I'll probably end up at Northwestern-- their placement rates seem fairly promising for the west and I'm really excited by their course offerings and culture. What're you thinking?


I love Seattle, I used to live there. Northwestern will be great for you... I think that the Seattle/Portland markets are pretty crowded, so going to a T14 with ties to the area will give you an even better shot than UW.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am

chrisbru wrote:
chill wrote:
Opie wrote:
Yeah, if you're looking for outside the midwest, this is probably not the place. What region are you hoping for? Have you been accepted anywhere in that region?


Looking to get back to the west coast (particularly the Pacific Northwest) eventually. I'm in to our lower-ranked law school out here and WL'ed at the University of Washington. Honestly, I think I'll probably end up at Northwestern-- their placement rates seem fairly promising for the west and I'm really excited by their course offerings and culture. What're you thinking?


I love Seattle, I used to live there. Northwestern will be great for you... I think that the Seattle/Portland markets are pretty crowded, so going to a T14 with ties to the area will give you an even better shot than UW.


+1 to that. Also, I think NW places as well on the West coast as any of the other T14 outside of the CA schools. The other schools are so East coast or Chicago focused.

User avatar
YankeeFan2
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby YankeeFan2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:57 pm

I have a question about scholarships........and NO this is not about when you get the information. (I could look that up multiple times in this discussion.)

I have seen some people post that they received a full scholarship from Iowa and I have looked at the index calculator and a huge congrats to those people. But my numbers are not going to give me a full scholarship.

So, I would love to know if anyone has received a scholarship that was less than full tuition. If you have, what was the amount? What stipulations? What were were numbers?

Feel free to either PM or post here as I am sure others would like to know as well.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:I have a question about scholarships........and NO this is not about when you get the information. (I could look that up multiple times in this discussion.)

I have seen some people post that they received a full scholarship from Iowa and I have looked at the index calculator and a huge congrats to those people. But my numbers are not going to give me a full scholarship.

So, I would love to know if anyone has received a scholarship that was less than full tuition. If you have, what was the amount? What stipulations? What were were numbers?

Feel free to either PM or post here as I am sure others would like to know as well.


From some previous discussions and looking at LSN, it seems like there are sometimes awards for OOS that take you to the IS level and sometimes half tuition schollies toward the end of the cycle. I haven't seen or heard of either coming out this cycle though.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 am

Opie wrote:
From some previous discussions and looking at LSN, it seems like there are sometimes awards for OOS that take you to the IS level and sometimes half tuition schollies toward the end of the cycle. I haven't seen or heard of either coming out this cycle though.


Yeah non-full scholarships will likely be later in the cycle if they decide to give them.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 am

So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin :)

Also, a couple questions about housing and computers. The Emerald Court apts. are $665/month no internet included, everything else pretty standard for 2 bedrooms. Is this a pretty good price for a married student.

What is a normal price to pay for a law school laptop? The dell website with the school discount was going to be about $1200-1400

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
From some previous discussions and looking at LSN, it seems like there are sometimes awards for OOS that take you to the IS level and sometimes half tuition schollies toward the end of the cycle. I haven't seen or heard of either coming out this cycle though.


Yeah non-full scholarships will likely be later in the cycle if they decide to give them.


+1. This. From my knowledge the administration hands out half scholarships after the initial deposit deadline to lure candidates around the 75th percentile to boost medians.

northerniowan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby northerniowan » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin :)

Also, a couple questions about housing and computers. The Emerald Court apts. are $665/month no internet included, everything else pretty standard for 2 bedrooms. Is this a pretty good price for a married student.

What is a normal price to pay for a law school laptop? The dell website with the school discount was going to be about $1200-1400


Unfortunately, Iowa does not respect or honor your CCW permit: --LinkRemoved--

However, with all of the hippies there I highly doubt you'll need the protection lol.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

northerniowan wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin :)

Also, a couple questions about housing and computers. The Emerald Court apts. are $665/month no internet included, everything else pretty standard for 2 bedrooms. Is this a pretty good price for a married student.

What is a normal price to pay for a law school laptop? The dell website with the school discount was going to be about $1200-1400


Unfortunately, Iowa does not respect or honor your CCW permit: --LinkRemoved--

However, with all of the hippies there I highly doubt you'll need the protection lol.

Well, you can't have it all I guess. I won't be delivering pizza anymore there anyways and that's the only time I carry.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:07 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
northerniowan wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin :)

Also, a couple questions about housing and computers. The Emerald Court apts. are $665/month no internet included, everything else pretty standard for 2 bedrooms. Is this a pretty good price for a married student.

What is a normal price to pay for a law school laptop? The dell website with the school discount was going to be about $1200-1400


Unfortunately, Iowa does not respect or honor your CCW permit: --LinkRemoved--

However, with all of the hippies there I highly doubt you'll need the protection lol.

Well, you can't have it all I guess. I won't be delivering pizza anymore there anyways and that's the only time I carry.


The good news is, the rest of the state of Iowa is pretty good about concealed carry. I'm a bit of a gun nut myself, so I feel your pain. I don't think any of the universities in the state allow carry, but I know at least one person who does it anyway.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Opie wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:
northerniowan wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin :)

Also, a couple questions about housing and computers. The Emerald Court apts. are $665/month no internet included, everything else pretty standard for 2 bedrooms. Is this a pretty good price for a married student.

What is a normal price to pay for a law school laptop? The dell website with the school discount was going to be about $1200-1400


Unfortunately, Iowa does not respect or honor your CCW permit: --LinkRemoved--

However, with all of the hippies there I highly doubt you'll need the protection lol.

Well, you can't have it all I guess. I won't be delivering pizza anymore there anyways and that's the only time I carry.


The good news is, the rest of the state of Iowa is pretty good about concealed carry. I'm a bit of a gun nut myself, so I feel your pain. I don't think any of the universities in the state allow carry, but I know at least one person who does it anyway.

Good to know Opie, thought I was going to be the only one who didn't think guns were evil. You know if IC has any official/unofficial ranges nearby?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:25 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:Good to know Opie, thought I was going to be the only one who didn't think guns were evil. You know if IC has any official/unofficial ranges nearby?


IC is very liberal in general, but Iowa as a whole is pretty moderate. I'm not sure about ranges in Eastern Iowa, but I know there are a few decent ones in central Iowa.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Opie wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Good to know Opie, thought I was going to be the only one who didn't think guns were evil. You know if IC has any official/unofficial ranges nearby?


IC is very liberal in general, but Iowa as a whole is pretty moderate. I'm not sure about ranges in Eastern Iowa, but I know there are a few decent ones in central Iowa.

Sweet, I can handle less than a couple hours away. Don't have an xbox so I can't get my target practice fix via halo :)

User avatar
punkyg0608
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby punkyg0608 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 pm

In case anyone is interested, Iowa seems unwilling to negotiate scholarship stipulations. I tried and heard back within an hour, which made it seem like they won't even consider it.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:48 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:In case anyone is interested, Iowa seems unwilling to negotiate scholarship stipulations. I tried and heard back within an hour, which made it seem like they won't even consider it.


Ouch, that makes it seem like they had a form letter ready and admin assistants were pre-authorized to use it.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:In case anyone is interested, Iowa seems unwilling to negotiate scholarship stipulations. I tried and heard back within an hour, which made it seem like they won't even consider it.


Good to know. I'm debating whether or not to ask. I figure that, like you said, there is no chance, but I don't see the harm if I plan on going elsewhere if the stipulations remain.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:In case anyone is interested, Iowa seems unwilling to negotiate scholarship stipulations. I tried and heard back within an hour, which made it seem like they won't even consider it.


Good to know. I'm debating whether or not to ask. I figure that, like you said, there is no chance, but I don't see the harm if I plan on going elsewhere if the stipulations remain.


I get the impression that Iowa's policies are strictly guided by the regents. Which means their hands are almost always tied on everything.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby JOThompson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
punkyg0608 wrote:In case anyone is interested, Iowa seems unwilling to negotiate scholarship stipulations. I tried and heard back within an hour, which made it seem like they won't even consider it.


Good to know. I'm debating whether or not to ask. I figure that, like you said, there is no chance, but I don't see the harm if I plan on going elsewhere if the stipulations remain.

It doesn't hurt to try. One of my classmates successfully negotiated away the top 1/3 requirement. He was on a half-ride scholarship. I haven't heard of any other similar stories though.

So just to post something non-scholarship related, does anyone know whether Iowa honors CCW permits? I know my undergrad school did. Just checkin

No, according to my roommate. He carries everywhere possible (bar, biking, grocery store, etc.) and he won't go near the law school while carrying.

northerniowan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby northerniowan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am

ilovehalusky wrote:
Opie wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Good to know Opie, thought I was going to be the only one who didn't think guns were evil. You know if IC has any official/unofficial ranges nearby?


IC is very liberal in general, but Iowa as a whole is pretty moderate. I'm not sure about ranges in Eastern Iowa, but I know there are a few decent ones in central Iowa.

Sweet, I can handle less than a couple hours away. Don't have an xbox so I can't get my target practice fix via halo :)


http://www.izaak-walton.org/

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am

It doesn't hurt to try. One of my classmates successfully negotiated away the top 1/3 requirement. He was on a half-ride scholarship. I haven't heard of any other similar stories though.


All the reason I need to give it a shot. I figure if they've done it before, there is a chance, no matter how small, that they could do it again. I don't have my fingers crossed but you never know. Thanks!

And out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the worst that can happen by asking to get stipulations removed? I want to ask at both Iowa and Drake, but both schools gave me such extremely generous awards I don't want to appear ungrateful or greedy. They wouldn't rescind an offer, would they? Maybe it's just my midwestern manners, but I don't want to look like I'm asking for handouts when they've already done so much. I just figured I'd ask because, like everyone says, "what's the worst that could happen?" I just want to make sure that "the worst" is indeed just the response "no" lol.

User avatar
ilovehalusky
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovehalusky » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:54 am

northerniowan wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:
Opie wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Good to know Opie, thought I was going to be the only one who didn't think guns were evil. You know if IC has any official/unofficial ranges nearby?


IC is very liberal in general, but Iowa as a whole is pretty moderate. I'm not sure about ranges in Eastern Iowa, but I know there are a few decent ones in central Iowa.

Sweet, I can handle less than a couple hours away. Don't have an xbox so I can't get my target practice fix via halo :)


http://www.izaak-walton.org/

Thanks this is sweet!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Zoe107 and 8 guests