IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:06 pm

chrisbru wrote:
tyro wrote:Withdrew from the preliminary waitlist.

Thank you for this. I don't really ever want to meet you IRL.

Ouch! :lol:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:35 pm

IIRC they'll do mileage and gas.. but that's just going off of what I remember MOS saying in an older thread.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 pm

I heard a rumor that Iowa is way short on their number for the class of 2014 and is practically begging for transfers from other big ten law schools, espeically if they have connections to Iowa (particularly Iowa residents). Can anyone confirm or deny?

tyro

Postby tyro » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:
tyro wrote:Withdrew from the preliminary waitlist.

Thank you for this. I don't really ever want to meet you IRL.

Yepper; no beef here Iowa is a great state and I do have multi-generational ties but the waitlist and the lack of a potential scholly was too much for an OOSer. GLGL and honestly I think just about anyone can enjoy Iowa. Really wanted it but just didn't have the numbers.

ilovetonyromo

Postby ilovetonyromo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm

BKCentral wrote:I've only 50% kept up with this thread, so my apologies if this has been asked within the past couple of weeks, but has anyone heard back from the prelim waitlist?

I'd like to know this as well

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I heard a rumor that Iowa is way short on their number for the class of 2014 and is practically begging for transfers from other big ten law schools, espeically if they have connections to Iowa (particularly Iowa residents). Can anyone confirm or deny?

I don't really see how this would be true... Collins had said he was trying to curb class size a bit, and our class is a healthy 180. However, maybe there are current students who are looking to transfer up that I don't know about.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:17 pm

btw384 wrote:
tzombus wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:So does FAFSA have to be filled out before they consider you for scholarships at Iowa? The way they word it on their website makes it easy to interpret it that way

I think the answer to this question is yes, but I'm nowhere near certain. If you haven't filled it out yet, though, it might not be a bad idea to get it completed pretty soon here, just in case.

Scholarships at Iowa seem to be pretty murky territory. I was accepted over a month ago, and I filled out my FAFSA on Jan. 1. Still no word on scholarship money. They even sent me some form to verify that I was a self-supporting student, which is odd since I obviously am self-supporting based on my FAFSA.

Despite my experience, it seems like some people got scholarship information pretty soon after being accepted, even without filling out the FAFSA. I would be concerned that I wasn't getting a scholarship, but I'm above one 75% and at median for the other, which I would think would be good for something. Hopefully they give some news soon, because I am starting negotiations and looking to make a decision!

I'm waiting on scholarship info from Iowa and one other school. If I send them the confirmation of the self-supporting status, would it be alright to wait a few weeks and, provided I hear nothing from them, send them my reasons for why I believe I qualify for a scholarship? Or is this in bad taste?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:28 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:I heard a rumor that Iowa is way short on their number for the class of 2014 and is practically begging for transfers from other big ten law schools, espeically if they have connections to Iowa (particularly Iowa residents). Can anyone confirm or deny?

I don't really see how this would be true... Collins had said he was trying to curb class size a bit, and our class is a healthy 180. However, maybe there are current students who are looking to transfer up that I don't know about.

Thanks for the update. I seem to remember that the party line from admissions was that they were planning on a smaller incoming class last year so I was a bit surprised when I heard this rumor. Still, my ultimate goal is to practice in Iowa so going to school there would make my life a bit easier. I don't think I'm really willing to give up a scholarship at my current school where OOS tuition is almost the same as in state tution would be at Iowa.

zarathustra25

Postby zarathustra25 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Accepted to Iowa last week and received scholarship info in the mail Friday. I am an in-state resident and turned my app in around mid-January, so pretty late. With a 163/3.76 I was not expecting much financial aid, but got a 24k a year merit scholarship, with the stipulation that I remain in the top third of the class. That stipulation seems kind of tough, but I am thinking that even a year of no tuition at Iowa is going to be my best offer. I only applied to 3 other schools that were pretty big reaches, with the plan of likely going to Iowa unless a miracle happens, so I'll probably see a lot of you this fall.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Not that I know of. Because the state regulations for a law class only apply to the incoming class.

The class of 2014 was smaller than previous classes because of the economy. Also the reason why there has been a decrease in class sizes by 35 students over the last 4 years.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 pm

typ3 wrote:

Not that I know of. Because the state regulations for a law class only apply to the incoming class.

The class of 2014 was smaller than previous classes because of the economy. Also the reason why there has been a decrease in class sizes by 35 students over the last 4 years.

I figured I'd come to the right place to get to the bottom of this.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Real question is, why would you ever want to leave Nebraska? ;)

haha but I suppose you have degrees from Iowa and Nebraska both so... what's making you itch to get back?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:09 pm

typ3 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Real question is, why would you ever want to leave Nebraska? ;)

haha but I suppose you have degrees from Iowa and Nebraska both so... what's making you itch to get back?

All of my family and my wife's family is in eastern Iowa. We'd like to be close to our parents. Also, Omaha kinda sucks.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
All of my family and my wife's family is in eastern Iowa. We'd like to be close to our parents. Also, Omaha kinda sucks.

I agree with this.

Depending on how you did, it might be possible to get a scholarship as a transfer, but I do not know for sure.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:07 am

Fair enough. Hard to beat free daycare.

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Deposit paid today :) Will be a Hawkeye woot!

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:51 pm

How did people fill out #8 on the self supporting student verication form?

edit: Total number of hours for which you plan to register at the UI (fall v spring hours).
Last edited by llachans on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 pm

If people haven't, can you please add your numbers to http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com

The site helps future applicants and the data is used by lawschoolpredictor.com.

Pay it forward.

tzombus

Postby tzombus » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Just posted my numbers and such to LSN. Also, found out on Saturday that I scored full-tuition to Iowa! :) Hurray!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

llachans wrote:How did people fill out #8 on the self supporting student verication form?

edit: Total number of hours for which you plan to register at the UI (fall v spring hours).

15 hours per semester is the norm

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Anyone else move to 2/13 in review from an earlier in review?

chill

Postby chill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Breaks my heart because this has been such a fun thread, but just withdrew from Iowa. Hoping that opens up a spot for one of y'all on the WL or still waiting to hear back.

(I just got tired of wondering when scholarship info would come out)

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 pm

chill wrote:Breaks my heart because this has been such a fun thread, but just withdrew from Iowa. Hoping that opens up a spot for one of y'all on the WL or still waiting to hear back.

Sorry to hear that, but your parenthetical is the best I have seen on this board to date.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

chill wrote:Breaks my heart because this has been such a fun thread, but just withdrew from Iowa. Hoping that opens up a spot for one of y'all on the WL or still waiting to hear back.

Yikes, poor form... I got my scholarship info on this day last year. I hope you don't get a full ride in the mail that was mailed before you withdrew... :D

game6

Postby game6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Yikes, poor form... I got my scholarship info on this day last year. I hope you don't get a full ride in the mail that was mailed before you withdrew... :D

Word, I just got mine yesterday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”