IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NCB166

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby NCB166 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:How would you guys recommend asking them if it is possible to have the stipulations removed? A nice email vaguely mentioning it? Flat out asking?

Does anybody have an answer for this? At the very least, Shredder, could you PM me what you wind up doing and the end result? I'm not to the point where the scholarship stipulation makes the difference with whether or not I attend Iowa, but I could very well be there soon.

bigpig

Postby bigpig » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 pm

typ3 wrote:Who on this thread is for sure coming for ASW? Also how many would be interested in a TLS meetup?

+1

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Opie wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:I'll be at ASW and would love to get acquainted with the bar scene.

It takes far more than the weekend to get acquainted with the IC bar scene. It takes about a semester of intense study IMO.

Okay well then I'd at least like to have "Syllabus day" during ASW.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:43 am

EMAW12 wrote:
Opie wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:I'll be at ASW and would love to get acquainted with the bar scene.

It takes far more than the weekend to get acquainted with the IC bar scene. It takes about a semester of intense study IMO.

I like how you put that. Our last Syllabus day before law school (where such a thing doesn't exist).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 am

Opie wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:
Opie wrote:

I like how you put that. Our last Syllabus day before law school (where such a thing doesn't exist).

Tentative Syllabus:
Thursday:
6-8pm - Introductions (Meet and greet put on by the law school
8-9 - Airliner
9-10 - Joe's Place
10-11 - Blue Moose
11-12 - Sports Column
12 - Close - Bo James

Friday:
8am-3pm - Recovery/listen to people talk at you
4-7pm - F.A.C. (Friday After Class) at DC's
7-9pm - Dinner/drinks - Saloon
9-11pm - Pool @ TCB
11-12pm - Pints
12 - Close - Library

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:17 pm

Nice closing out the weekend at Library. I fully support that bar crawl schedule Chris. Good work. It'll be good to stop at a few places that I haven't been to lately, IE Bo James etc.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Tentative Syllabus:
Thursday:
8-9 - Airliner
9-10 - Joe's Place
10-11 - Blue Moose
11-12 - Sports Column
12 - Close - Bo James

Friday:
9-11pm - Pool @ TCB
11-12pm - Pints
12 - Close - Library

I also like the inclusion of the Library at the end. It is smart of you to include people like me who truly value academics. Most people think going to the library after midnight on a Friday is ridiculous, but I think it is a great time to get ahead for the upcoming week. Glad to see that, even in the midst of intense drinking, Iowa students value knowledge. :lol:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Tentative Syllabus:
Thursday:
8-9 - Airliner
9-10 - Joe's Place
10-11 - Blue Moose
11-12 - Sports Column
12 - Close - Bo James

Friday:
9-11pm - Pool @ TCB
11-12pm - Pints
12 - Close - Library

I also like the inclusion of the Library at the end. It is smart of you to include people like me who truly value academics. Most people think going to the library after midnight on a Friday is ridiculous, but I think it is a great time to get ahead for the upcoming week. Glad to see that, even in the midst of intense drinking, Iowa students value knowledge. :lol:

The library is a bar / club downtown Iowa City.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:56 pm

typ3 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Tentative Syllabus:
Thursday:
8-9 - Airliner
9-10 - Joe's Place
10-11 - Blue Moose
11-12 - Sports Column
12 - Close - Bo James

Friday:
9-11pm - Pool @ TCB
11-12pm - Pints
12 - Close - Library

Man, I am really bad at making my sarcasm clear on the internet lol. I thought the smilely face would do the trick!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
typ3 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Tentative Syllabus:
Thursday:
8-9 - Airliner
9-10 - Joe's Place
10-11 - Blue Moose
11-12 - Sports Column
12 - Close - Bo James

Friday:
9-11pm - Pool @ TCB
11-12pm - Pints
12 - Close - Library

Man, I am really bad at making my sarcasm clear on the internet lol. I thought the smilely face would do the trick!

I assumed you were considering you said you were from the area. However, other people on the thread might not pick up on it. I would hate for people to show up back at Boyd Law Building drunk and attempt to get inside. I'm sure getting arrested for trespassing at ASW weekend wouldn't be the best thing.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm

typ3 wrote:I assumed you were considering you said you were from the area. However, other people on the thread might not pick up on it. I would hate for people to show up back at Boyd Law Building drunk and attempt to get inside. I'm sure getting arrested for trespassing at ASW weekend wouldn't be the best thing.

Iowa hasn't gotten on Above the Law lately. Might as well have 0L's be the reason it does.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

I assumed you were considering you said you were from the area. However, other people on the thread might not pick up on it. I would hate for people to show up back at Boyd Law Building drunk and attempt to get inside. I'm sure getting arrested for trespassing at ASW weekend wouldn't be the best thing.

I literally lol'd

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

I literally lol'd

+1

tzombus

Postby tzombus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:59 am

Hey guys, I'm brand new on here, so hi! I was accepted to Iowa about a week ago and just visited the law school a few days ago. My index is just over 180 and Dean Byrd said that he recommended me for a full-tuition scholarship, but I haven't gotten a letter with the scholarship offer yet. Do you guys who were accepted to Iowa last year think there's much of a chance that the scholarship committee would decide on a different offer than what Dean Byrd recommended me for? I'm just nervous because I applied a little late in the cycle (app. sent 1/25).

Anyway, I'm glad to join you all and hope to meet you at ASW in March! :D

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 am

tzombus wrote:Hey guys, I'm brand new on here, so hi! I was accepted to Iowa about a week ago and just visited the law school a few days ago. My index is just over 180 and Dean Byrd said that he recommended me for a full-tuition scholarship, but I haven't gotten a letter with the scholarship offer yet. Do you guys who were accepted to Iowa last year think there's much of a chance that the scholarship committee would decide on a different offer than what Dean Byrd recommended me for? I'm just nervous because I applied a little late in the cycle (app. sent 1/25).

Welcome to TLS! I wouldn't sweat it. I couldn't imagine him saying that and then it not happening.

tzombus

Postby tzombus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:16 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
tzombus wrote:Hey guys, I'm brand new on here, so hi! I was accepted to Iowa about a week ago and just visited the law school a few days ago. My index is just over 180 and Dean Byrd said that he recommended me for a full-tuition scholarship, but I haven't gotten a letter with the scholarship offer yet. Do you guys who were accepted to Iowa last year think there's much of a chance that the scholarship committee would decide on a different offer than what Dean Byrd recommended me for? I'm just nervous because I applied a little late in the cycle (app. sent 1/25).

Welcome to TLS! I wouldn't sweat it. I couldn't imagine him saying that and then it not happening.

Thanks! I'll keep hanging in there. Hopefully the letter will come sometime soon!

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm new on TLS too, but I sent my application in about 2 weeks before you and had the same index score and got full tuition, I had above average internship/service experience but you probably shouldn't worry too much.

ilovehalusky

Postby ilovehalusky » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm

DportIA wrote:
typ3 wrote:Who on this thread is for sure coming for ASW? Also how many would be interested in a TLS meetup?

I booked my flight today, and I'm in for a TLS meet up, provided there is alcohol involved.

Ditto

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:54 pm

I got an email from byrd telling me I was being considered for a full tuition scholarship via email and got a letter in the mail about 4 days later dated the same date as his email.

tzombus

Postby tzombus » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 pm

DportIA wrote:

I booked my flight today, and I'm in for a TLS meet up, provided there is alcohol involved.

I'll be at ASW for sure, but I'm still twenty for a few months yet so I won't be able to join the TLS group on the bar scene. Hopefully I'll run into some of you at the formal events.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Anyone else get the email saying they'll cover your travel expenses (iirc it was up to $300) to visit the school? I didn't read it super closely, but I'm assuming this is only if you matriculate?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:38 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Anyone else get the email saying they'll cover your travel expenses (iirc it was up to $300) to visit the school? I didn't read it super closely, but I'm assuming this is only if you matriculate?

I didn't get that email (probably because I'm only like 180 miles away), but I would guess that they do this to get you to visit so that you'll want to matriculate.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Anyone else get the email saying they'll cover your travel expenses (iirc it was up to $300) to visit the school? I didn't read it super closely, but I'm assuming this is only if you matriculate?

I didn't get that email (probably because I'm only like 180 miles away), but I would guess that they do this to get you to visit so that you'll want to matriculate.

Lol my parents live in IC (my hometown) and I currently live an hour and a half away and am in the city every couple of months. That's why I found it so strange lol. I alway wanted to check out Hotel Vetro though...might beat staying with my parents if I can make it down to ASW :lol: .

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:22 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Lol my parents live in IC (my hometown) and I currently live an hour and a half away and am in the city every couple of months. That's why I found it so strange lol. I alway wanted to check out Hotel Vetro though...might beat staying with my parents if I can make it down to ASW :lol: .

Vetro is cool. Iowa House is nice too. I've always been more of a bed and breakfast kind of person though.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Vetro is cool. Iowa House is nice too. I've always been more of a bed and breakfast kind of person though.

Oh I like me some B&Bs as well! I'm either ultra-modern or down-home comfort (hate the generic in between). When I go to Minneapolis for instance, I want a modern downtown hotel, but when I went out to Virginia and North Carfolina this summer, it was B&Bs all the way!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”