IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:What is the date for ASW this year?

Jesus fuck Tyler, read one page back you lazy ass.

ITT: We prove that you can fail RC completely and still go to Iowa.

chill

Postby chill » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

No wonder they felt the need to highlight that P.S. in the save the date email. They've seen the bleak reality that is the Iowa TLS thread.

ETA: RC was my worst section on the LSAT.
Last edited by chill on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I got 11 of my 15 wrong on RC :|

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:16 pm

RC was my far and away worst section...

Im starting to see a trend. Maybe this explains all the scholarship questions as well?

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:53 pm

I actually did okay on RC. I failed games big time. LR is my best. Perhaps I don't belong here. :|

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Opie wrote:I actually did okay on RC. I failed games big time. LR is my best. Perhaps I don't belong here. :|

Same here, so don't fret. I'm sure a lot of future Hawkeyes did poorly on games.

To quote the great Pat Bennitar, "we belong."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Opie wrote:I actually did okay on RC. I failed games big time. LR is my best. Perhaps I don't belong here. :|

For me:

Logic games > Logic Reasoning >>>>>>>> Reading Comprehension

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Y r we tlking about lsat lulz

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:58 pm

As fun as this conversation is, with an Iowa Score of 179.047, am I looking at some $ or what? I know the "when is the scholly info coming" joke and everything, but with my cycle going a little worse than I expected (aside from the Iowa acceptance) I'm starting to get paranoid that I will be looking at sticker at Iowa.

Somebody tell me I'm just being neurotic.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:00 am

EMAW12 wrote:As fun as this conversation is, with an Iowa Score of 179.047, am I looking at some $ or what? I know the "when is the scholly info coming" joke and everything, but with my cycle going a little worse than I expected (aside from the Iowa acceptance) I'm starting to get paranoid that I will be looking at sticker at Iowa.

Iowa resident? Are you a URM? We need a little bit more information. You're right on the cusp for the "lowest offered full ride", but that doesn't mean that everyone above that number got one.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:04 am

EMAW12 wrote:As fun as this conversation is, with an Iowa Score of 179.047, am I looking at some $ or what? I know the "when is the scholly info coming" joke and everything, but with my cycle going a little worse than I expected (aside from the Iowa acceptance) I'm starting to get paranoid that I will be looking at sticker at Iowa.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I got in two months ago with numbers pretty close to yours and I haven't got a dime. I got 25% at UIUC though if you're waiting on them.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

chrisbru wrote:
Iowa resident? Are you a URM? We need a little bit more information. You're right on the cusp for the "lowest offered full ride", but that doesn't mean that everyone above that number got one.

White male. Non-resident.

Opie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I got in two months ago with numbers pretty close to yours and I haven't got a dime. I got 25% at UIUC though if you're waiting on them.

Illinois put me on hold.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:52 am

Opie wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I got in two months ago with numbers pretty close to yours and I haven't got a dime. I got 25% at UIUC though if you're waiting on them.

OPIE! Chill out. It's Feb. 2nd... I told you that I got in Dec. 3rd last cycle and didn't hear a word about a scholarship until mid-February. Be patient, my friend, don't count it out yet.

EMAW12 wrote:

Don't quote me, but you should probably expect to pay sticker. There have been scholarships for white non-residents with your numbers in the past, but they are the exception not the rule.

So there is a chance, but not a large one.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am

chrisbru wrote:

OPIE! Chill out. It's Feb. 2nd... I told you that I got in Dec. 3rd last cycle and didn't hear a word about a scholarship until mid-February. Be patient, my friend, don't count it out yet.

EMAW12 wrote:

Don't quote me, but you should probably expect to pay sticker. There have been scholarships for white non-residents with your numbers in the past, but they are the exception not the rule.

I know, but I just want to be done with the cycle. :?

EMAW12, I think you're probably looking at sticker as well. You never know though. Applicants are down and they may not run out of money as fast. Did you write a PS that answered all of the questions in the instructions?

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

My PS certainly didn't address all of the questions. Whoops.

Well if I choose Iowa, I suppose I'll plan on paying sticker, and see about these RA opportunities.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 pm

EMAW12 wrote:It certainly didn't address all of them. Whoops.

Well if I choose Iowa, I suppose I'll plan on paying sticker, and see about these RA opportunities.

You never know. It could happen.

I would say visit, but it's already been confirmed that visits don't affect scholarships at Iowa.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 pm

I think you're gonna get some Iowa money Opie. I don't know about full ride, but I bet you'll get something.

clairech

Postby clairech » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:16 pm

What's the general turn-around rate of Iowa? Went under review on Jan 30. Thanks for any info~

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:34 pm

clairech wrote:What's the general turn-around rate of Iowa? Went under review on Jan 30. Thanks for any info~

It varies a lot. Mine took about two weeks, but I went complete right before a big wave. I think it kind of depends on what they're doing at the time. I would suspect they'll get it done quickly since we're late in the cycle.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 pm

EMAW12 wrote:My PS certainly didn't address all of the questions. Whoops.

This is almost certainly irrelevant.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:41 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Really? I thought they were big on that.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Really? I thought they were big on that.

Not for scholarship consideration. Unless it's a diversity statement.

I mean, don't quote me on this, but scholarships are to entice you to go to Iowa instead of a peer school. They do this by trying to make it more financially viable than what they think you may get for other peer schools.

TIKITEMBO

Postby TIKITEMBO » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm

I mean, don't quote me on this, but scholarships are to entice you to go to Iowa instead of a peer school. They do this by trying to make it more financially viable than what they think you may get for other peer schools.

I did quote you. :wink:

But seriously I am panicking a bit on this. I addressed a couple of these points, but didn't talk about others. I'm considering sending an LOCI or addendum that address those questions. I'm already in review (have been for about two weeks) and I have a crap LSAT so I can not afford to have this f-d up. Is sending an LOCI or addendum a good idea?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

EMAW12 wrote:White male. Non-resident.

EMAW12, I think you're probably looking at sticker as well. You never know though. Applicants are down and they may not run out of money as fast. Did you write a PS that answered all of the questions in the instructions?

You never know. During my cycle, a couple half-ride offers went out well after ASW. Then again, the scholarship situation was generally screwy that year, so that may not be typical protocol. Good luck!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

EMAW12 wrote:White male. Non-resident.

You never know. During my cycle, a couple half-ride offers went out well after ASW. Then again, the scholarship situation was generally screwy that year, so that may not be typical protocol. Good luck!

This, there were a few half-rides given out after ASW last year. Also I was accepted and received my scholarship on the day of ASW via email.. and I was given 2 weeks to send a deposit. :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”