IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

amb8819 wrote:I appreciate the advice. Is it at all possible to leverage my status as an AA male? I checked Iowa's stats on the LSAC website, they have very few black people there, I would imagine that this is not by Iowa's choice. I would assume that they get very few black applicants, could I use this fact to my advantage?

You might be able to. IMO, the reason there are relatively few AAs at Iowa is that Iowa has a 50% in-state requirement and there are fewer AAs in Iowa than most other races. That makes AA applicants that want to go to Iowa a bit of a rarity, and what AA applicants they do get may be from out of state and have to compete in that more difficult pool.

It might help your leverage that you are an AA male. I wouldn't use that as the sole leverage though. I'd wait until you have something more substantive and then mention that you think you could bring diversity to the campus because of your background when you are writing to leverage that other scholarship.

Also, I'm not sure if I would push the race card too much at Iowa because the admissions dean himself is an AA male who is well-established in the law school admissions realm. He may not buy it as much as some other deans would. I'm not sure if that's true or not, and maybe he likes to look out for AAs himself, but I would use caution.

Good luck with negotiations, and congrats again on admission!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Opie wrote:
amb8819 wrote:I appreciate the advice. Is it at all possible to leverage my status as an AA male? I checked Iowa's stats on the LSAC website, they have very few black people there, I would imagine that this is not by Iowa's choice. I would assume that they get very few black applicants, could I use this fact to my advantage?

You might be able to. IMO, the reason there are relatively few AAs at Iowa is that Iowa has a 50% in-state requirement and there are fewer AAs in Iowa than most other races. That makes AA applicants that want to go to Iowa a bit of a rarity, and what AA applicants they do get may be from out of state and have to compete in that more difficult pool.

It might help your leverage that you are an AA male. I wouldn't use that as the sole leverage though. I'd wait until you have something more substantive and then mention that you think you could bring diversity to the campus because of your background when you are writing to leverage that other scholarship.

Also, I'm not sure if I would push the race card too much at Iowa because the admissions dean himself is an AA male who is well-established in the law school admissions realm. He may not buy it as much as some other deans would. I'm not sure if that's true or not, and maybe he likes to look out for AAs himself, but I would use caution.

Simply put - No, you can't use that as leverage. They will already consider that in your admissions decision as subsequent scholarship evaluation. The reason you can leverage scholarships from other schools is because it says, "I have more financially responsible offers from your peer schools, but would like to go to Iowa... Can you help lessen that disparity so it is not a factor in my decision process?" This is new information that wasn't originally considered in your evaluation at Iowa.

The whole idea behind leverage is that you have an incentive to go to a peer school instead of the school you are negotiating with.

Also - yeah, Collins probably doesn't respond to the diversity card as much as white deans because he's more aware of what it is like to be in that position.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

Simply put - No, you can't use that as leverage. They will already consider that in your admissions decision as subsequent scholarship evaluation. The reason you can leverage scholarships from other schools is because it says, "I have more financially responsible offers from your peer schools, but would like to go to Iowa... Can you help lessen that disparity so it is not a factor in my decision process?" This is new information that wasn't originally considered in your evaluation at Iowa.

The whole idea behind leverage is that you have an incentive to go to a peer school instead of the school you are negotiating with.

Also - yeah, Collins probably doesn't respond to the diversity card as much as white deans because he's more aware of what it is like to be in that position.

I think one reason schools negotiate is because not only are you not going to go to their school, but you're saying you'll go to a school they definitely don't want you to go to. It's not the same if the schools aren't peer. They could care less if you go to a third tier school, because they aren't competing with them and you going there isn't going to tip the scales.

amb8819

Postby amb8819 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Perhaps I was not clear at first, it was never my plan to email them and say "I am black, give me a fullride". I am hoping to use possible offers from IUB, UIUC or WUSTL as leverage, I just wanted to know if it is at all proper to bring up diversity at all.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:52 pm

amb8819 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. Perhaps I was not clear at first, it was never my plan to email them and say "I am black, give me a fullride". I am hoping to use possible offers from IUB, UIUC or WUSTL as leverage, I just wanted to know if it is at all proper to bring up diversity at all.

I don't think it is bad to re-emphasize the things you bring to the table, but you should do it in a brief way.

Anyone else get an email from Nichelle Closson?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:What do you mean by saying your presence in class isn't needed? I obviously know very little about the actual law school process. Are classes similar to UG where you are supposed to read for each class session and then the teacher gives relevant information in class (including stuff not in the textbook that you will be tested on)? Or is it basically just read the book, study, and take the final?

Way late to this, but I'll throw in my couple pennies.

Sebastian pretty much explained it. I feel like I could have not gone to class (for the most part) and done exactly the same as I did on my exams (top 37.5%, so if you're gunning this may or may not be advice worth taking.) Class just goes overly in-depth into things that don't even end up on the exams. I also didn't outline myself, I just used one from a past student (thanks, btw, traekhat if you're around). Also - briefing cases is a waste of time. Just get a case briefs book

Things to do:
*Keep up with reading
*Read an E&E to go along with casebook, and review when finals get near
*Review case brief book for cases that were covered in class
*Make sure you understand everything in your outline
*Figure out how to take law school essay exams
*If you have a multiple choice exam, use bar prep books to practice

Thanks! That helps a lot. Out of curiosity, is your grade based solely on your final test? Or are there papers/numerous tests? If you can't tell, I know nothing about the law school structure itself.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:What do you mean by saying your presence in class isn't needed? I obviously know very little about the actual law school process. Are classes similar to UG where you are supposed to read for each class session and then the teacher gives relevant information in class (including stuff not in the textbook that you will be tested on)? Or is it basically just read the book, study, and take the final?

Way late to this, but I'll throw in my couple pennies.

Sebastian pretty much explained it. I feel like I could have not gone to class (for the most part) and done exactly the same as I did on my exams (top 37.5%, so if you're gunning this may or may not be advice worth taking.) Class just goes overly in-depth into things that don't even end up on the exams. I also didn't outline myself, I just used one from a past student (thanks, btw, traekhat if you're around). Also - briefing cases is a waste of time. Just get a case briefs book

Things to do:
*Keep up with reading
*Read an E&E to go along with casebook, and review when finals get near
*Review case brief book for cases that were covered in class
*Make sure you understand everything in your outline
*Figure out how to take law school essay exams
*If you have a multiple choice exam, use bar prep books to practice

Thanks! That helps a lot. Out of curiosity, is your grade based solely on your final test? Or are there papers/numerous tests? If you can't tell, I know nothing about the law school structure itself.

You are not obsessing nearly enough! You should have already read One L, 1L of a Ride, Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, and at least a couple of other books by now about this. :mrgreen:

Usually the grade is based only on the single final which is graded blind. Sometimes there are other factors, but that's always an exception.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm

You are not obsessing nearly enough! You should have already read One L, 1L of a Ride, Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, and at least a couple of other books by now about this.

Usually the grade is based only on the single final which is graded blind. Sometimes there are other factors, but that's always an exception.

Haha it's people like you that make me obsess! You're not even in law school yet and you know it all! Lol I feel like I am so far behind and will be lost come the first day if I don't catch up to the Opie's of the world.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
You are not obsessing nearly enough! You should have already read One L, 1L of a Ride, Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, and at least a couple of other books by now about this.

Haha it's people like you that make me obsess! You're not even in law school yet and you know it all! Lol I feel like I am so far behind and will be lost come the first day if I don't catch up to the Opie's of the world.

Don't worry. I'm one of those people that remembers everything he hears and reads, so I've just absorbed all of this. If you want a good overview that will be helpful, read (I can't believe I'm telling this to my competition) Acing Your First Year of Law School by Noyes and Noyes. It's brief and incredibly useful.

bigpig

Postby bigpig » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Just accepted via status checker this afternoon. I understand that 2L and 3L students can received in-state tuition either through a journal or through an RA position. How difficult/competative is getting an RA spot?

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 am

Just got a save-the-date for the ASW. Apparently, there is no need to RSVP at this time, but there is reason to worry slightly about the Iowa admission's office's opinion of our reading comprehension.

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 am

chill wrote:Just got a save-the-date for the ASW. Apparently, there is no need to RSVP at this time, but there is reason to worry slightly about the Iowa admission's office's opinion of our reading comprehension.

Mentioning it twice wasn't enough to keep me from RSVPing, so I'm glad they wrote it a third time...and highlighted it.

Are we allowed to bring spouses to this thing?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 am

chill wrote:Just got a save-the-date for the ASW. Apparently, there is no need to RSVP at this time, but there is reason to worry slightly about the Iowa admission's office's opinion of our reading comprehension.

So, do I need to RSVP now? Also, when does scholarship info come out?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks! That helps a lot. Out of curiosity, is your grade based solely on your final test? Or are there papers/numerous tests? If you can't tell, I know nothing about the law school structure itself.

First year required classes (Torts, Contracts, and Property first semester, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure second semester) are all more-or-less socratic based classes ranging in size from 40 students to 80 students. The grade is nearly 100% from the 3 to 4 hour final that is given at the end of the semester, although some professors reserve the right to adjust grades slightly up or down based on class participation. Tests are labeled with a number, so the professor does not know whose test he/she is grading while going over it. Tests can be essay, short answer, multiple choice, or a combination of those, but there was at least one essay on each test I had first semester, and multiple choice on two of the three

LAWR is a 2 credit writing course taken both first and second semester. This grade each semester is comprised of 2 writing assignments and in-class participation.

The elective you take second semester will be graded based on the professor. Some classes are identical to first year required courses, some have take home tests, some don't have a final and are based on papers and participation throughout the semester.

bigpig wrote:Just accepted via status checker this afternoon. I understand that 2L and 3L students can received in-state tuition either through a journal or through an RA position. How difficult/competative is getting an RA spot?

It seems like pretty much everyone that wants one can get one, and preference is given to out-of-state students. However, things like library assistant and such also count as an "RA" distinction.

What are the dates for ASW?

nickjive wrote:

Parents and spouses were both in attendance last year, though the majority of attendees were flying solo (I'm assuming mostly because it is a Thursday night and Friday during the day, and people work).

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Opie wrote:

So, do I need to RSVP now? Also, when does scholarship info come out?

:lol: :lol:

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks! That helps a lot. Out of curiosity, is your grade based solely on your final test? Or are there papers/numerous tests? If you can't tell, I know nothing about the law school structure itself.

First year required classes (Torts, Contracts, and Property first semester, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure second semester) are all more-or-less socratic based classes ranging in size from 40 students to 80 students. The grade is nearly 100% from the 3 to 4 hour final that is given at the end of the semester, although some professors reserve the right to adjust grades slightly up or down based on class participation. Tests are labeled with a number, so the professor does not know whose test he/she is grading while going over it. Tests can be essay, short answer, multiple choice, or a combination of those, but there was at least one essay on each test I had first semester, and multiple choice on two of the three

LAWR is a 2 credit writing course taken both first and second semester. This grade each semester is comprised of 2 writing assignments and in-class participation.

The elective you take second semester will be graded based on the professor. Some classes are identical to first year required courses, some have take home tests, some don't have a final and are based on papers and participation throughout the semester.

bigpig wrote:Just accepted via status checker this afternoon. I understand that 2L and 3L students can received in-state tuition either through a journal or through an RA position. How difficult/competative is getting an RA spot?

It seems like pretty much everyone that wants one can get one, and preference is given to out-of-state students. However, things like library assistant and such also count as an "RA" distinction.

What are the dates for ASW?

nickjive wrote:

Parents and spouses were both in attendance last year, though the majority of attendees were flying solo (I'm assuming mostly because it is a Thursday night and Friday during the day, and people work).

March 22nd and 23rd.

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:01 pm

ASW is putting a serious wrench in my spring break plans...

In other news, SMU put me on hold, so things are looking more and more likely for Iowa.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:56 pm

EMAW12 wrote:ASW is putting a serious wrench in my spring break plans...

In other news, SMU put me on hold, so things are looking more and more likely for Iowa.

Correction: ASW IS your spring break plan. You get their Thursday morning, do ASW stuff Thursday and Friday, then party Friday night and Saturday. Then you go home hungover and tired Sunday. That's ASW Iowa City style.

KShip

Postby KShip » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:57 pm

Admitted!

App complete on 01/19/12
Admitted (Status Checker) 01/25/12
Resident URM + Non-trad 162/3.45

When is scholarship info coming out? (Just kidding. I read before posting)

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 pm

Haha all these damn scholarship jokes!! I keep getting ready to rage-post only to realize I've been fooled.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am

Opie wrote:

Correction: ASW IS your spring break plan. You get their Thursday morning, do ASW stuff Thursday and Friday, then party Friday night and Saturday. Then you go home hungover and tired Sunday. That's ASW Iowa City style.

Or hit spring break Saturday-Thursday and roll into IC just in time for the Thursday night mixer.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm

For the people that did receive scholly info already, did you status checker mailings update to show that it was on the way?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

Or hit spring break Saturday-Thursday and roll into IC just in time for the Thursday night mixer.

What is the date for ASW this year?

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

22nd and 23rd of March.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:14 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

Jesus fuck Tyler, read one page back you lazy ass.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”