IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:54 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
checkster wrote:How difficult is it to get an RA position?

I don't know why you'd want to be one. Having to put up with constant bickering and handling noise complaints every weekend?

Kidding of course

I can't help but think this too when I see RA even though I've never lived on campus anywhere.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
checkster wrote:How difficult is it to get an RA position?

I don't know why you'd want to be one. Having to put up with constant bickering and handling noise complaints every weekend?

Kidding of course

Just to clarify (in case people actually are confused by this acronym, which is possible) RA stands for research assistant, not the job that undergrads have where they manage dorms.

DportIA wrote:Any one out at the bars in Iowa City tonight? I'm up in the homeland for a few nights respite from Austin right now.

Didn't see this yesterday, but we'll be out tonight. Feel free to text me if you want to join us... I'll PM you my number.

punkyg0608 wrote:Yeah, that's my issue with it I think! 37.5% is just too hard to predict! And it's also difficult to compare with scholarships at other schools with different stipulations. Wouldn't it suck to be one of those students in that 2.5% difference between 37.5% and 40%?

ANY cutoff is hard to predict. Iowa ranks top 10% (I think) and then just gives cutoffs at 12.5% and 37.5%. It makes it easy on their calculations. Historically, this has been between a 3.42 and a 3.48, where 3.3ish is the median.

It would suck to be those 2.5% between 37.5% and 40%. But it would also suck to be just below the cutoff at any school, no matter what the cutoff is. 37.5% vs. 40% vs. top third shouldn't really be a meaningful analysis point in your school decision. "Student in good standing" vs. a class rank stip would be, however.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Full tuition scholarship!

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:12 pm

DportIA wrote:Full tuition scholarship!

What are your numbers? Do you plan on taking it?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Congrats! Deserves celebration eh?

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Nice! Congrats! How did you find out?

This gives me a lot of hope because I think our numbers are fairly similar.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Jack Smirks wrote:

What are your numbers? Do you plan on taking it?

According to his post history, it looks like 162, 3.5x, URM Mex-Am

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Opie wrote:

Nice! Congrats! How did you find out?

This gives me a lot of hope because I think our numbers are fairly similar.

Yes 162 3.55 MX Iowan
I actually set up an appointment with Financial Aid because I knew I would be in the area. When I sat down with her, she told me "So, I know why you're here. But, I'll let you tell me..." which I responded I was just concerned about the cost of legal education and my desire to attend Iowa and live in Iowa.

Then she said "Well, since you're here, we haven't mailed it out, but we've decided to give you a full tuition scholarship. Congratulations!"

She said it would be in the mail within 10 days, and also informed me that appointments never influence scholarship decisions, but that since I was sitting in front of her, he wanted to break the news.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:31 pm

Accepted via status checker! How will I find out about scholarship information?

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Bmarce wrote:Accepted via status checker! How will I find out about scholarship information?

Potentially via telegram, but more likely via smoke signal. Just keep your eyes to the sky.

Bmarce

Postby Bmarce » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Bmarce wrote:Accepted via status checker! How will I find out about scholarship information?

Potentially via telegram, but more likely via smoke signal. Just keep your eyes to the sky.

I'll do that. :mrgreen: I am happy that I got in, I thought I was a ding for sure because I didn't perfectly follow their directions concerning my personal statement.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:

Sorry for jumping on, but I am beyond excited that somebody knows about telegrams. When I was going over my course's syllabus with my students, I told them that while phones are banned in class, I will permit telegrams at any time. They all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language...

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm

7ate9 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Sorry for jumping on, but I am beyond excited that somebody knows about telegrams. When I was going over my course's syllabus with my students, I told them that while phones are banned in class, I will permit telegrams at any time. They all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language...

Just remember that the average high school senior has never watched someone roll down a crank window in a car. It's a brave new world.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Opie wrote:
7ate9 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Just remember that the average high school senior has never watched someone roll down a crank window in a car. It's a brave new world.

Unfortunately, these are college students! The joys of teaching...

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 pm

7ate9 wrote:
Opie wrote:
7ate9 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Unfortunately, these are college students! The joys of teaching...

Wow, not knowing telegrams?? College students?! What college do you teach at? Maybe you're a teacher of mine!

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Wow, not knowing telegrams?? College students?! What college do you teach at? Maybe you're a teacher of mine!

I teach in the southeast. Most of them are good kids, but I think this may be their first time taking a legitimate modern US history course.

Perhaps they knew about telegraphs, but I shocked them. I am extremely eccentric in the way I teach, since I find that it helps them maintain interest.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 am

DportIA wrote:
Opie wrote:

She said it would be in the mail within 10 days, and also informed me that appointments never influence scholarship decisions, but that since I was sitting in front of her, he wanted to break the news.

That's amazing: this person got a sex change in the middle of the interview!

:wink:

But really, congrats.

amb8819

Postby amb8819 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:49 am

I was accepted yesterday via Status Checker. It must have been the URM boost that got me in because my stats are 3.5,157. I am an AA male from Alabama. What are my chances of recieving a Law Opportunity Fellowship that would cover all of tution?

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Accepted yesterday via status checker and email.

checkster

Postby checkster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Still waiting, probably not looking too good. Oh well.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:52 pm

amb8819 wrote:I was accepted yesterday via Status Checker. It must have been the URM boost that got me in because my stats are 3.5,157. I am an AA male from Alabama. What are my chances of recieving a Law Opportunity Fellowship that would cover all of tution?

I think that depends on how compelling your addenda and PS were.

Congrats on admission! You're right that you probably got some help from URM, but enjoy. This is one of the few times in life it helps you.

amb8819

Postby amb8819 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:45 am

Opie wrote:
amb8819 wrote:I was accepted yesterday via Status Checker. It must have been the URM boost that got me in because my stats are 3.5,157. I am an AA male from Alabama. What are my chances of recieving a Law Opportunity Fellowship that would cover all of tution?

Congrats on admission! You're right that you probably got some help from URM, but enjoy. This is one of the few times in life it helps you.

How much leverage will I have in negotiations? This is my LSN, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/amb8819
If Iowa gives me a full ride, I'll go there, no questions asked.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:25 am

amb8819 wrote:
Opie wrote:

How much leverage will I have in negotiations? This is my LSN, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/amb8819

Depends on your decisions and scholarships from UIUC, UIB, WUSTL, and Michigan. Those will help you leverage a better offer from Iowa (potentially). None of your other schools will help at all, I'm sorry to say.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

chrisbru wrote:
amb8819 wrote:
Opie wrote:

Depends on your decisions and scholarships from UIUC, UIB, WUSTL, and Michigan. Those will help you leverage a better offer from Iowa (potentially). None of your other schools will help at all, I'm sorry to say.

This.

IUB is giving out good money from what I hear. You might get something leverage worthy there.

amb8819

Postby amb8819 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 am

Congrats on admission! You're right that you probably got some help from URM, but enjoy. This is one of the few times in life it helps you.[/quote]

If Iowa gives me a full ride, I'll go there, no questions asked.[/quote]

Depends on your decisions and scholarships from UIUC, UIB, WUSTL, and Michigan. Those will help you leverage a better offer from Iowa (potentially). None of your other schools will help at all, I'm sorry to say.[/quote]

This.

IUB is giving out good money from what I hear. You might get something leverage worthy there.[/quote]

I appreciate the advice. Is it at all possible to leverage my status as an AA male? I checked Iowa's stats on the LSAC website, they have very few black people there, I would imagine that this is not by Iowa's choice. I would assume that they get very few black applicants, could I use this fact to my advantage?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”