IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Send in now and send your score in as soon as possible. Money tends to run out early and there isn't a lot dolled out mid cycle. However, after first deposits a lot of scholarships are administered again.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:54 pm

typ3 wrote:Send in now and send your score in as soon as possible. Money tends to run out early and there isn't a lot dolled out mid cycle. However, after first deposits a lot of scholarships are administered again.

So you recommend sending without the score and updating with it?

Trojan228

Postby Trojan228 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:Send in now and send your score in as soon as possible. Money tends to run out early and there isn't a lot dolled out mid cycle. However, after first deposits a lot of scholarships are administered again.

So you recommend sending without the score and updating with it?

I would also like to know peoples thoughts on this. I do not want to send an 'incomplete' application to Iowa unless they are expecting it

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Your score is sent separate from your application and fee. It is a different processing fee and step you have to do in your LSAC account from CAS. It's $12 per report sent I believe or $18. So technically you can send it whenever you want independent of your formal application.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:53 pm

typ3 wrote:Your score is sent separate from your application and fee. It is a different processing fee and step you have to do in your LSAC account from CAS. It's $12 per report sent I believe or $18. So technically you can send it whenever you want independent of your formal application.

Get your PS, LORs, etc. done ASAP! I waited to see my score before sending to T50 schools (because of my 2.9 GPA, I didn't want to send it in, get a lower score than I hoped for, and then have to send them something again telling them I'm retaking in Dec), but if you're not considering a retake then by all means send in as SOON as you're done. LSAC will send your LSAT score as soon as they get it, and it will ensure your app is at the front of the pack.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

If they want me to go to their school, the Hawks better pull this game together.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Opie wrote:If they want me to go to their school, the Hawks better pull this game together.

Let's not talk about it. That was embarrassing.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:If they want me to go to their school, the Hawks better pull this game together.

Yeah, that shouldn't have happened. I just keep telling myself that we don't have the same team we did a couple of years ago.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Yeah, that shouldn't have happened. I just keep telling myself that we don't have the same team we did a couple of years ago.

We'll see how Northwestern goes, I guess.

Another plus to Iowa City? Drinking is freaking cheap. $1 draws on Wed, $2 you-call-it on Thurs, $3 any liquor/beer in the bar or $3 pitchers of busch light for FAC was my week. I guess Fri/Sat night you'll pay $3 for wells, draws, and bottles.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:12 pm

Cabs are also extraordinarily cheap. So if you don't want to spend $3/4 drinks for too many drinks on Friday / Saturday night you can pregame hard at home and cab downtown for under $5.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:18 pm

typ3 wrote:Cabs are also extraordinarily cheap. So if you don't want to spend $3/4 drinks for too many drinks on Friday / Saturday night you can pregame hard at home and cab downtown for under $5.

:shock: => :D

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:51 am

Ernert wrote:
typ3 wrote:Cabs are also extraordinarily cheap. So if you don't want to spend $3/4 drinks for too many drinks on Friday / Saturday night you can pregame hard at home and cab downtown for under $5.

Yep I live pretty far away from the law school in Iowa City and I leave 15 minutes before class in the mornings and make it there fine. With time to park/ walk etc.

On the weekends when I cab home i've paid anywhere from 4 to 6 dollars and I live a lot further out than the places near the law school. Gotta love midwest cities.

Also cabs are everywhere downtown or you can just walk home and it's certainly doable until winter sets in... then you won't want to.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 am

Ernert wrote:

Depends on where you live... But mostly accurate. It's about $15 from my place in Coralville, but $5-$7 from where most law students live. Even better if you put 3-4 people in a cab.

We'll often drive to a friend's place close to downtown, drink for an hour or two before going out, then hit a cab to the bars. Can't be $2 or so per person for a ride DT. Plus, most bars don't have cover charges the majority of nights.

You will spend more on home game weekends, especially big games.

ETA: When it's nice out, the guys will walk downtown from the apartments near the law school. Takes about 15-20 minutes. The girls almost always cab since they don't want to walk in their nighttime apparel and heels.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:59 am

I once had a colleague from NYC pull out his phone and update his facebook after getting the bill at a Des Moines bar.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:51 pm

NYC/LA/Miami bar tabs are so outrageous and it spills over into their sporting venues too. Gotta love paying double digits for a beer at a baseball game..

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:57 pm

typ3 wrote:NYC/LA/Miami bar tabs are so outrageous and it spills over into their sporting venues too. Gotta love paying double digits for a beer at a baseball game..

Only bad thing about college sports... No beer in the stadium.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:27 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:NYC/LA/Miami bar tabs are so outrageous and it spills over into their sporting venues too. Gotta love paying double digits for a beer at a baseball game..

Well.. legally.

Disclaimer: I do not condone drinking alcohol on university property unless it is an officially alcohol permit licensed event.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Well.. legally.

Disclaimer: I do not condone drinking alcohol on university property unless it is an officially alcohol permit licensed event.

:shock: --> :lol:

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Well.. legally.

:shock: --> :lol:

Well, thought I should add that since you never know who is on these things.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:40 pm

typ3 wrote:
[/quote]

I don't condone being sober enough to drink by the time the game starts. :D

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Those three hour long games can be very sobering. If only we could leave during halftime.
Last edited by chrisbru on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Those three hour long games can be very sobering. If only we could leave during halftime.[/quote]

Three hours isn't nearly long enough to sober up if properly drunk (read: drinking from 6 am until kickoff and starting with a good buzz from previous night).
I

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Opie wrote:
Three hours isn't nearly long enough to sober up if properly drunk (read: drinking from 6 am until kickoff and starting with a good buzz from previous night).
I

I don't know you, but this is incorrect. I am significantly more sober at the end of the game than the start. I loved undergrad tailgating because we could leave at halftime and top off the drunkenness.

Although it depends on your size too. I'm a 210 pound guy.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
I

I don't know you, but this is incorrect. I am significantly more sober at the end of the game than the start. I loved undergrad tailgating because we could leave at halftime and top off the drunkenness.

I'm only about 180, but I don't generally drink beer, so 5 hours of drinking for me = hardly able to stand.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
I

I'm only about 180, but I don't generally drink beer, so 5 hours of drinking for me = hardly able to stand.

I'm 160 and after 3 hours of not drinking I normally sober up a bit. I'm with you that 5 hours or so seems to be a good number for me. I can't do a 9am-2am drinkathon-- met some med students that managed that the first game of the year this year. Hats off to those guys, an impressive feat.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”