IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gail

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Gail » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:25 pm

they never sent me an indication that they received my LOCI. my transripts just officially updated today. Send another letter/email?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Gail wrote:they never sent me an indication that they received my LOCI. my transripts just officially updated today. Send another letter/email?

No. Chill out. Adcoms are busy this time of the year. A lot of times they won't send notification of a LOCI since it is not a necessary letter / document for admission.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 pm

typ3 wrote:
Gail wrote:they never sent me an indication that they received my LOCI. my transripts just officially updated today. Send another letter/email?

No. Chill out. Adcoms are busy this time of the year. A lot of times they won't send notification of a LOCI since it is not a necessary letter / document for admission.

+1 remember that any professors on the adcomm have been grading and the admissions people are trying to get decisions and schollies out.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:27 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Cycle of this thread:

New person posts for first time once they get accepted
They then ask how long it is until scholarship information comes out
They then post once they receive said information
They then ask about stipulations
Repeat with new poster

In an effort to stem the wash-rinse-repeat of the forum I was wondering if any current students out there would mind talking about their favorite and least favorite parts of living in Iowa, specifically Iowa City.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 pm

somewherewarm wrote:

Repeat with new poster

In an effort to stem the wash-rinse-repeat of the forum I was wondering if any current students out there would mind talking about their favorite and least favorite parts of living in Iowa, specifically Iowa City.

This should be legendary.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm

somewherewarm wrote:In an effort to stem the wash-rinse-repeat of the forum I was wondering if any current students out there would mind talking about their favorite and least favorite parts of living in Iowa, specifically Iowa City.

Based on my undergrad:

- More eclectic than I was expecting (I'm from Chicago and was afraid I'd miss the hippy-esque parts of the city)
- There is always something to do (there's more bars than you could imagine, restaurants of all different styles and ethnicities, constant bands at Blue Moose, and a ton of free events sponsored by the university)
- Professors. At least in my undergrad, professors were always willing to make themselves available. For the most part, they were extremely helpful, friendly, and open-minded.

Dislikes:
- In my opinion, outside of Iowa City, it's pretty dull. (Not trying to slam Iowa, but aside from an occasional hockey match, I really didn't find much of a reason to venture outside IC).
- The weather (I'm from Chicago so I'm used to it, but getting around IC is TERRIBLE come winter. It's not unusual for the city to have a shortage of salt for the icy sidewalks.)
- Parking. Simply, it sucks.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions regarding Iowa City. I've really grown to love the area.

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:30 pm

llachans wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:In an effort to stem the wash-rinse-repeat of the forum I was wondering if any current students out there would mind talking about their favorite and least favorite parts of living in Iowa, specifically Iowa City.

Based on my undergrad:

- More eclectic than I was expecting (I'm from Chicago and was afraid I'd miss the hippy-esque parts of the city)
- There is always something to do (there's more bars than you could imagine, restaurants of all different styles and ethnicities, constant bands at Blue Moose, and a ton of free events sponsored by the university)
- Professors. At least in my undergrad, professors were always willing to make themselves available. For the most part, they were extremely helpful, friendly, and open-minded.

Dislikes:
- In my opinion, outside of Iowa City, it's pretty dull. (Not trying to slam Iowa, but aside from an occasional hockey match, I really didn't find much of a reason to venture outside IC).
- The weather (I'm from Chicago so I'm used to it, but getting around IC is TERRIBLE come winter. It's not unusual for the city to have a shortage of salt for the icy sidewalks.)
- Parking. Simply, it sucks.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions regarding Iowa City. I've really grown to love the area.

This is highly specific and probably easily googleable, but: Is there good Ethiopian food in town? Good Thai? Good Vietnamese?

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:50 pm

chill wrote:This is highly specific and probably easily googleable, but: Is there good Ethiopian food in town? Good Thai? Good Vietnamese?

The Ethiopian place in Iowa City closed down last year. I'm not sure what ended up replacing it.

There is really good Thai and Vietnamese food (as well as Chinese and Japanese). It's extremely easy to find good Asian food. There is a high level of Asian foreign exchange students and Iowa City accomodates them very well.

I would also highly recommend the two Indian restaurants downtown.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:02 pm

somewherewarm wrote:

Repeat with new poster

Still a 0L right now, but I grew up in Iowa City. With that said, I'll admit I can't really compare it too much, but I love it. Of every town I have been to, Iowa City is one of my favorites (beat only by Minneapolis).

The reason for my love of Iowa City is the community feel of the town. While being enough of a metro to satisfy my interests, it is a place where you feel a sense of community. It is a decent sized town, but it is small enough to know people and truly learn the city. I sometimes feel like bigger towns (like DM) feel vacant.

And I have to give a shout-out to the amazing food. Hamburg Inn can't be beat. Pagliai's is another favorite that has the best pizza I've ever had (may be biased, but I like it better than anything I've even had in Italy). Which-Wich and Z'Maricks are also great downtown choices.

The only downside to the town is that it sometimes has too much of a college-town feel. While I normally love downtown IC, I avoid it at all costs Thursday-Saturday nights (drunk kids) or weekday afternoons (trying to drive is a nightmare) while school is in session. Some people, however, don't mind that sort of thing.

jbabs

Postby jbabs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Iowa's a great place to live, albeit a sleepy one. Overall, the people are really nice, the cost of living can't be beat, and Des Moines (UI's major market) is just large enough to keep a busy professional entertained.

As for the University of Iowa/Iowa City: stay away. In my experience, the professors have proven profoundly unhelpful and supremely patronizing, the advising system is broken beyond belief, and you have to fight with the administration so they don't completely screw you over. Iowa City's only a fun place to be if you enjoy nuturing a nascent case of liver cirrhosis. Iowa City's nightlife primarily consists of packed, obnoxious bars teeming with undergrads, or equally atrocious house parties. The University's sponsored events are a joke, at best - no one I know bothers to go. The only way to make life in Iowa City tolerable for more than a year is to spend most of your time incredibly drunk. IC's one redeeming aspect would be the food - Hamburg Inn is a fantastic diner, and Z'Mariks, the Bread Garden, Mesa, etc. are all really good. But that's just my 2¢.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:13 pm

jbabs wrote:

Iowa's a great place to live, albeit a sleepy one. Overall, the people are really nice, the cost of living can't be beat, and Des Moines (UI's major market) is just large enough to keep a busy professional entertained.

As for the University of Iowa/Iowa City: stay away. In my experience, the professors have proven profoundly unhelpful and supremely patronizing, the advising system is broken beyond belief, and you have to fight with the administration so they don't completely screw you over. Iowa City's only a fun place to be if you enjoy nuturing a nascent case of liver cirrhosis. Iowa City's nightlife primarily consists of packed, obnoxious bars teeming with undergrads, or equally atrocious house parties. The University's sponsored events are a joke, at best - no one I know bothers to go. The only way to make life in Iowa City tolerable for more than a year is to spend most of your time incredibly drunk. IC's one redeeming aspect would be the food - Hamburg Inn is a fantastic diner, and Z'Mariks, the Bread Garden, Mesa, etc. are all really good. But that's just my 2¢.

+1111111111111 on Mesa. Completely forgot about that place. I can't get enough of it.

jbabs

Postby jbabs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Best pizza I've ever had; I'm not sure what I'll do if/when I leave Iowa City. How far do y'all think they'll deliver? :P

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

llachans wrote:
chill wrote:This is highly specific and probably easily googleable, but: Is there good Ethiopian food in town? Good Thai? Good Vietnamese?

The Ethiopian place in Iowa City closed down last year. I'm not sure what ended up replacing it.

There is really good Thai and Vietnamese food (as well as Chinese and Japanese). It's extremely easy to find good Asian food. There is a high level of Asian foreign exchange students and Iowa City accomodates them very well.

+1 to all of this. I miss David's.

My recommendations: Thai Spice and Thai Flavors for Thai food, Mekong for Vietnamese, Oyama for Japanese (3 samurai is good too, but the name is gaijin as fuck).

Also, the area immediately surrounding IC is nothing special, but there are other cool spots in Iowa.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 pm

jbabs wrote:Best pizza I've ever had; I'm not sure what I'll do if/when I leave Iowa City. How far do y'all think they'll deliver? :P

Haha if they could deliver an hour and a half north, I know what I'd be eating for dinner.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Also, everyone go watch Iowa Nice on YouTube. That's all you need to know to love Iowa.

chill

Postby chill » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Opie wrote:
llachans wrote:

My recommendations: Thai Spice and Thai Flavors for Thai food, Mekong for Vietnamese, Oyama for Japanese (3 samurai is good too, but the name is gaijin as fuck).

Also, the area immediately surrounding IC is nothing special, but there are other cool spots in Iowa.

For Vietnamese: I'm talking down-home, steaming, bowls-so-big-you-could-wash-a-dog-in-'em, slurpable pho. Banh mi and bun are great, but, man, I think winter finals without pho would be impossible. Thrilled to hear there's more than breaded tenderloins and Maid Rite burgers in town-- used to live in downstate Illinois and it was bleak.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:39 pm

chill wrote:
Opie wrote:
llachans wrote:

For Vietnamese: I'm talking down-home, steaming, bowls-so-big-you-could-wash-a-dog-in-'em, slurpable pho. Banh mi and bun are great, but, man, I think winter finals without pho would be impossible. Thrilled to hear there's more than breaded tenderloins and Maid Rite burgers in town-- used to live in downstate Illinois and it was bleak.

The pho at Mekong is great. IC is not Chilicothe by any stretch. I've heard it called the Athens of the Midwest.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am

llachans wrote:

Wait, where is the good Vietnamese food? All I tried was Mekong, and it was the worst alleged Vietnamese food I've ever had. I love Vietnamese food, but I have yet to find any here.

Anyway, Pros:
- The food in Iowa City (Vietnamese notwithstanding) is good for such a small town
- It's kind of expensive (117% of national average cost of living) for what it is, but it's still a fairly inexpensive city overall
- There are a lot of things going on, especially if you like drinking, sports, cycling, arts, folk music, and undergrads vomiting
- Fall and Spring are great in Iowa

Cons:
- Undergrads are everywhere
- Hipsters are everywhere
- It's liberal, as mentioned earlier, but it's certainly not diverse. It's a typical Midwestern college town: a bunch of very liberal (and generally not accepting of conservative viewpoints), middle and middle-upper class white people. If you're looking for diversity in any meaningful way, this really isn't the place. If your idea of "diverse" is "liberal," then you're in the right place.
- Traffic really sucks for how small this town is.
- Winter sucks. Well, winter sucks every other year except this one.
Last edited by sebastian0622 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:30 am

Oh, and Chill...if you go through Des Moines, go to A Dong for Vietnamese food downtown. Fantastic. If you're going for pho in particular, there are actually about 5-6 really good spots in Des Moines, but A Dong has the best menu overall.

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:50 am

Hmm, I guess I got admitted today. But, could anyone tell me that my feeling is right or not? Herein is what they say in the admission e-mail:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee of The University of Iowa College of Law has voted to admit you to the first year class entering in August 2011."

So, do Iowa Law seriously play a trick on me or they seriously want to grant me a time machine?

Thanks.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 am

risingdragon wrote:Hmm, I guess I got admitted today. But, could anyone tell me that my feeling is right or not? Herein is what they say in the admission e-mail:

"I am pleased to inform you that the Admissions Committee of The University of Iowa College of Law has voted to admit you to the first year class entering in August 2011."

So, do Iowa Law seriously play a trick on me or they seriously want to grant me a time machine?

Thanks.

You didn't know, Doc Brown got his PhD from Iowa...

I would not look too much into it. Other schools I've been accepted to/applied to have had similar mistakes. One had it on their admitted students page, I found it quite humorous. My Iowa acceptance e-mail from back in December did not even have a date.

Congratulations, by the way!

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 am

7ate9 wrote:
risingdragon wrote:Hmm, I guess I got admitted today. But, could anyone tell me that my feeling is right or not? Herein is what they say in the admission e-mail:

Thanks.

You didn't know, Doc Brown got his PhD from Iowa...

I would not look too much into it. Other schools I've been accepted to/applied to have had similar mistakes. One had it on their admitted students page, I found it quite humorous. My Iowa acceptance e-mail from back in December did not even have a date.

Congratulations, by the way!

Thanks a lot for your answer. I hope they would not make any mistakes on amount of zeros of my scholarship if they would grant me some... :D

jsvaughn

Postby jsvaughn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 am

preliminary waitlist via status checker

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 am

somewherewarm wrote:

Skipping everyone's comments so as to give you my first reactions. I'll do specifically Iowa City/Coralville (I live in Coralville).

Pros:
*The energy in this city is unbelievable. I've lived in other college towns, and nothing compares to it. Sure, the sidewalks aren't ALWAYS moving, and it slows down in the winter, but people here love to be here, and that shows
*The bar scene is intimate without getting stale. I feel like I'm familiar with most of the bars in town, I recognize the same bartenders working every weekend, I know where the bathrooms are, etc. But there are enough bars that I don't get bored if I go out 3 or 4 nights a week, because we can mix it up. No, it's not a big city with different districts, but for a college town it is great.
*Big Ten sports (especially football.) There is nothing like a football Saturday in Iowa City, even when the Hawks are mediocre at best. Some people may hate the traffic, but I love the support and energy that comes in for Hawkeye sports. Men's basketball is picking up steam this year, and the wrestling team is ALWAYS phenomenal.
*It's easy to get away from campus. If you get tired of the hustle and bustle, city campus feel of the university... Hey, hop in the car and drive 10 minutes to Coralville. I love living in Coralville, and I don't care who knows it. :D I have a fenced in yard, a park down the street from my house, and it's a short drive to everywhere I want to go. When it is nice out, I can walk to the mall in 5 minutes or so.... Sure, the mall is mediocre, but it's got everything I need - Food, best buy, sports store, and target.
*Options - There are a TON of food options as far as typical Iowa cities go. There is actually pretty good asian food - Indian, Thai, Chinese, Sushi. Plus there are typical college town options, delivery, upscale, etc.
*It's a young, liberal city... Which I feel like is easier to move to, because it feels more "open arms" for new people. And although its young and liberal, you're not out of place if you're an older, more conservative person by any means.
*Open-minded - You won't (in general) be judged for who you are. There's a thriving LGBT scene (with THE best gay bar in Iowa right in the Ped Mall), there's a thriving Hipster scene (I can't even walk into the Mill without being handed a Grain Belt or PBR), EDM/House/Dubstep/Electro scene (Gabe's and Blue Moose host electronic DJs at least once a week), Live music (from Radio Moscow to Childish Gambino to New Found Glory to William Elliot Whitmore, you can see everything here), and the list goes on, and on, and on. If there is something you are into, you bet your ass you can find people who share that interest with you without much searching.

Cons:
*It can feel small after a while. I moved from Des Moines to Ames, to Seattle, then to Iowa City... And coming back to Iowa everything feels smaller. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not a good thing. You'll know the IC/Coralville area like the back of your hand by the time you graduate, but I love that. Also, Cedar Rapids is 30 minutes away, the Quad Cities are an hour away, Des Moines is 2 hours away, Madison and Milwaukee are 3 hours away, and Chicago is 3.5 hours away. It's VERY EASY to change the scenery, which is really nice.
*Midwest weather. Yes, it will be cold from mid-November until early-March. It's not that bad, but it depends on the year. I don't think we've been below 20 degrees yet, and have had no snow. It's a little better than being in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Chicago, and a little worse than being in Kansas City/St. Louis.

I'll try to think of more cons, but all-in-all I love Iowa to death. I left for over a year and just couldn't wait to get back here. Sure, the cities are smaller and we may be behind as far as social scene development goes... But the people are top notch, the values are good, it's easy to be who you want to be, and I, for one, am never bored.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

One more positive to my list: the weather. Everyone is putting that on their negative lists, but Iowa weather is awesome. If you don't like snow and cold, you may dislike it, but then why in the world are you living in Iowa? Lol the cold weather is beautiful here. Although, nothing beats a fall day in Iowa City.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”