IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ilovetonyromo

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby ilovetonyromo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Just got put on the preliminary waitlist. What does this mean, is it different than a regular waitlist. Also what can I do at this point, just wait or should I send them a letter of interest?

Thanks

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:07 pm

ilovetonyromo wrote:Just got put on the preliminary waitlist. What does this mean, is it different than a regular waitlist. Also what can I do at this point, just wait or should I send them a letter of interest?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what were your stats? I'm hoping to get waitlisted.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:07 pm

I got P/WL also, 167/3.3. And from what I researched, it's just that your stats are too close to call, so they put away your app for a designated period of time and once they review more apps they will either accept or deny you (Probably around February or March).

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 pm

typ3 wrote:I haven't heard of Iowa dropping stipulations for scholarships. I could be wrong.

I do know they offer full rides without stipulations, but I haven't encountered too many students with those. Usually it's the top 1/3rd stipulation.

There are full scholarships for URMs and Non-Traditional students called Law Opportunity Fellowships, they do not have stipulations other than good standing.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:00 pm

llachans wrote:
ilovetonyromo wrote:Just got put on the preliminary waitlist. What does this mean, is it different than a regular waitlist. Also what can I do at this point, just wait or should I send them a letter of interest?

Thanks

Out of curiosity, why would you want to be waitlisted? You don't really want to go, but need to show your parents you tried?

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Personally, I would have voted for Ron Paul.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:51 am

MoS wrote:
llachans wrote:

Thanks

Out of curiosity, why would you want to be waitlisted? You don't really want to go, but need to show your parents you tried?

Nope. I went to Iowa for my undergrad and love the area. I'm afraid I probably don't have the stats to get in though. Waitlist > denial.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

llachans wrote:
MoS wrote:
llachans wrote:

Thanks

Nope. I went to Iowa for my undergrad and love the area. I'm afraid I probably don't have the stats to get in though. Waitlist > denial.

Still seems like an odd thing to say to me. I guess the way I see it is that denial/waitlist/in but not enough money to attend are all equal.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:24 pm

I was in Iowa City last night at TCB, talking to a long lost friend at the bar about what I'd be doing after undergrad. For me, this meant talking about law school. After we had stopped talking, a guy to my right asked me: "so you're thinking law school eh?"

He is a 3L at Iowa and told me emphatically to not attend Iowa unless I got a full tuition scholarship because the legal market is so poor. He said some people on Review in top third still had no job prospects.

His constructive advice was twofold: he advised work experience, and to "shake the Iowa money tree". He had 4 job offers in Shanghai from his 4 years of business management in China after undergrad. His rank is between top third and top half. Second, he said that Iowa negotiates, and they hate to lose qualified instate students.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:04 pm

DportIA wrote:I was in Iowa City last night at TCB, talking to a long lost friend at the bar about what I'd be doing after undergrad. For me, this meant talking about law school. After we had stopped talking, a guy to my right asked me: "so you're thinking law school eh?"

He is a 3L at Iowa and told me emphatically to not attend Iowa unless I got a full tuition scholarship because the legal market is so poor. He said some people on Review in top third still had no job prospects.

His constructive advice was twofold: he advised work experience, and to "shake the Iowa money tree". He had 4 job offers in Shanghai from his 4 years of business management in China after undergrad. His rank is between top third and top half. Second, he said that Iowa negotiates, and they hate to lose qualified instate students.

The legal market isn't static. Who knows what it will be like in 3 years, ya know?

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:I was in Iowa City last night at TCB, talking to a long lost friend at the bar about what I'd be doing after undergrad. For me, this meant talking about law school. After we had stopped talking, a guy to my right asked me: "so you're thinking law school eh?"

The legal market isn't static. Who knows what it will be like in 3 years, ya know?

Well. Really. OCI is how you're going to pay off debt if you don't get a full scholarship. So if you're starting in 2012, you have to hope that in 2013 the legal market is going to be crazy for the hiring.

CaptainJack

Postby CaptainJack » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

JOThompson wrote:
CaptainJack wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
CaptainJack wrote:Just got the letter on my scholarship info. $137,520 as well as the research position the second two years. Although I'm surprised at the amount, I've seen in numerous times now. The stip of top 37.5% makes me think things could be ruthless among competing students as to not lose the money. Is there any knowledge of how many lose their scholarship?

see the first page, there is a little bit of talk about the top third stip in the intro that Type3 provided
Also - not to take anything away from Captain Jack, because full ride is awesome, but could Captain Jack's award be an indication that maybe full scholarships will go down a little further into the class this year? I ask because Capt. J's LSAT/GPA Formula score is 179.125, which would have been 3rd level Full Ride consideration in 2011, but appears to be auto full ride this year. Unless, we just aren't seeing many of the full scholarship awards on this thread.
Again, my purpose here is both fingers crossed, maybe I am in the running for a full scholarship when I thought I had no chance. Not trying to bash anyone.
Thoughts?

Don't worry about offending me. I was pretty shocked as well. That Iowa would give me that much more than Tulane (75k). But I also just got into UVA so this entire process is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Congrats on UVA.

Which way are you leaning now? If you're thinking about Iowa, I'd recommend that you negotiate away the scholarship requirements.

Thanks. I really have no idea where I'm leaning. If Iowa wouldn't be so harsh on the stip I think it would for sure be a top choice. UVA would be sticker so not taking on that kind of debt. Could I use it to negotiate though? Still waiting on Minnesota and Colorado scholarship info. Fallback is full ride to Nebraska. I currently live in Omaha and like it here.

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm

HOLY CRAP. I actually got in (3.5/160). It was, in my eyes, a huge long-shot. I wouldn't really consider it unless I knew I was getting some scholarship money (which seems highly unlikely). When do they notify people about tuition scholarships?

Edit: I just went back a page and saw information on scholarship notification.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:38 pm

CaptainJack wrote:Thanks. I really have no idea where I'm leaning. If Iowa wouldn't be so harsh on the stip I think it would for sure be a top choice. UVA would be sticker so not taking on that kind of debt. Could I use it to negotiate though? Still waiting on Minnesota and Colorado scholarship info. Fallback is full ride to Nebraska. I currently live in Omaha and like it here.

What do you want to do and where do you want to do it? Unless you can negotiate away the scholarship stipulation, I think UVA at sticker is generally a safer choice for placement flexibility. Of course, if you want to stay in Iowa or the midwest or want nonprestigious PI, Iowa might still be the better call regardless of the stipulation. Worst case scenario, I think you'd still receive free tuition the first year (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and then still qualify for instate for 2/3L if you find an RA job. The good news is that I know at least one student who successfully convinced the school to drop the top 1/3 requirement.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm

edit: decided to actually look back on stip info instead of re-asking
Last edited by Ernert on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Does anyone know when Iowa sends out the urm/ non traditional student Law Opportunity Fellowships? These are scholarships with no percentile stipulations. At this point, it is cheaper for me to attend Illinois. And for an Iowa resident, that's a strange situation.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Cycle of this thread:

New person posts for first time once they get accepted
They then ask how long it is until scholarship information comes out
They then post once they receive said information
They then ask about stipulations
Repeat with new poster

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:59 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Cycle of this thread:

New person posts for first time once they get accepted
They then ask how long it is until scholarship information comes out
They then post once they receive said information
They then ask about stipulations
Repeat with new poster

Yes.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 am

Kinda b-o-r-i-n-g. Please read previous posts before posting.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

brupe wrote:Kinda b-o-r-i-n-g. Please read previous posts before posting.

+1. We're happy to help, but it's irritating to answer the same questions over and over.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 am

Agreed @Chrisbru. on a side note, i submitted my loci today. fingers crossed! hope has not been given up.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 pm

brupe wrote:Agreed @Chrisbru. on a side note, i submitted my loci today. fingers crossed! hope has not been given up.

You could still get in. A lot of people recently go into UIUC that didn't expect to (myself included). Perhaps some are withdrawing.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Oh fabulous! Congrats!! Definitely staying optimistic here

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

llachans wrote:
MoS wrote:
llachans wrote:

Thanks

Haha I didn't think I would get accepted either and that's exactly why I was ecstatic to get waitlisted. Could possibly lead to admission. I don't get how its so hard to understand.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”