IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:Haha! I'm a lot wiser now. Class of 2000. I literally was just trying to get out of gym and though free college credits were nice. Wouldn't have been a bad deal if I hadn't picked this career.

*fistbumpfortheoldpeopleclub*
also class of 2000, but I graduated early, so I'm not 30 :D

I'm not either!
For the next 18 days.

Happy early birthday old man 8)
I've still got over a year.

Thanks APH! And it's cool. I like being surrounded by younger women. ;)

Shredderrrr, I haven't graduated yet either.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Anyone else notice the trend that you need a 166 or 3.9x to get a full tuition? Do you think that that will continue, or is that just the starting point?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone else notice the trend that you need a 166 or 3.9x to get a full tuition? Do you think that that will continue, or is that just the starting point?

Those seem a bit higher than the magic numbers during my cycle. Hm.

P.S. If anyone has questions about the school, I'm happy to answer them. Just send me a PM.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 pm

CaptainJack wrote:
Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
CaptainJack wrote:Just got the letter on my scholarship info. $137,520 as well as the research position the second two years. Although I'm surprised at the amount, I've seen in numerous times now. The stip of top 37.5% makes me think things could be ruthless among competing students as to not lose the money. Is there any knowledge of how many lose their scholarship?

see the first page, there is a little bit of talk about the top third stip in the intro that Type3 provided
Also - not to take anything away from Captain Jack, because full ride is awesome, but could Captain Jack's award be an indication that maybe full scholarships will go down a little further into the class this year? I ask because Capt. J's LSAT/GPA Formula score is 179.125, which would have been 3rd level Full Ride consideration in 2011, but appears to be auto full ride this year. Unless, we just aren't seeing many of the full scholarship awards on this thread.
Again, my purpose here is both fingers crossed, maybe I am in the running for a full scholarship when I thought I had no chance. Not trying to bash anyone.
Thoughts?

Don't worry about offending me. I was pretty shocked as well. That Iowa would give me that much more than Tulane (75k). But I also just got into UVA so this entire process is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Congrats on UVA.

Which way are you leaning now? If you're thinking about Iowa, I'd recommend that you negotiate away the scholarship requirements.

Smumps

Postby Smumps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:25 pm

Just randomly looked at status checker - says I'm in and to wait for details.

I plugged in my information and my "Iowa score" is 183.06 - does this mean I have a good shot at a scholarship?

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Smumps wrote:Just randomly looked at status checker - says I'm in and to wait for details.

I plugged in my information and my "Iowa score" is 183.06 - does this mean I have a good shot at a scholarship?

You'll probably get full tuition.

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 am

I mailed them last Tuesday. No e-mail or anything.

Kind of really worried. Still waiting for my transcript to update. School mailed the thing on this Tuesday. So either the mail is moving slow or LSAC is.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 am

Gail wrote:I mailed them last Tuesday. No e-mail or anything.

Kind of really worried. Still waiting for my transcript to update. School mailed the thing on this Tuesday. So either the mail is moving slow or LSAC is.

From my interactions at work, I can tell you that the mail is running VERY slow right now.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Did scholly info come via snail mail for everyone??

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:46 pm

chill wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Did scholly info come via snail mail for everyone??

Adding to this question, how long did it come after your acceptance? Before the random medical forms? After the random medical forms? (How long after?)

I think it came in the mail about 2 weeks after my medical form

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Keep in mind that scholarships are not awarded in the same order as admissions decisions. Therefore length or time between decision and scholly doesn't really mean anything. It might mean SONETHING if two people got their decisions at about the same time and have very similar numbers, but outside if that I would say it means little.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 pm

chill wrote:
Opie wrote:Keep in mind that scholarships are not awarded in the same order as admissions decisions. Therefore length or time between decision and scholly doesn't really mean anything. It might mean SONETHING if two people got their decisions at about the same time and have very similar numbers, but outside if that I would say it means little.

Good to know. My index number's a 181.x and I was getting nervous that my very low GPA was precluding me from a scholarship offer. Iowa's a pretty strong candidate for me, but would be a much stronger one with a scholarship.

Also, it'd be a stronger one if they heated campus to at least 40 degrees all winter. Just hoping that's in their plans.

The bus stops right outside the law building. There's really no
Reason to be outside longer than a minute or so. And FWIW it's been over 40 most of this winter. I'm expecting destruction of epic proportions in February.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I received my original scholarship information by e-mail. I heard a few days after my acceptance, which was in mid-December. About a week or so later, I received the scholarship information by snail mail.

Good luck!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 pm

chill wrote:
Opie wrote:Keep in mind that scholarships are not awarded in the same order as admissions decisions. Therefore length or time between decision and scholly doesn't really mean anything. It might mean SONETHING if two people got their decisions at about the same time and have very similar numbers, but outside if that I would say it means little.

Good to know. My index number's a 181.x and I was getting nervous that my very low GPA was precluding me from a scholarship offer. Iowa's a pretty strong candidate for me, but would be a much stronger one with a scholarship.

Also, it'd be a stronger one if they heated campus to at least 40 degrees all winter. Just hoping that's in their plans.

You're considering Iowa and don't want miserable winters?! Lol that's the best part of the Midwest! Snow and cold! I couldn't imagine living somewhere insufferably hot year-round.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Eh, it's been warm here all winter. 62 where I'm from north of the state of Iowa.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:59 pm

I got an email from Byrd the day I was accepted-- however this was an exception because it was during ASW and I was already touring a different law school when I was accepted.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 am

I just got 75% tuition to UIUC. I am getting somewhat impatient about getting scholarship information from Iowa. Come on home state school.

But this is my question. Does anyone know how much Iowa is willing to negotiate scholarships from peer schools like Illinois?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 am

DportIA wrote:I just got 75% tuition to UIUC. I am getting somewhat impatient about getting scholarship information from Iowa. Come on home state school.

But this is my question. Does anyone know how much Iowa is willing to negotiate scholarships from peer schools like Illinois?

I don't know about negotiation, but I would imagine that an in-state URM would be very competitive at Iowa. Iowa (the state, not the school) has a smaller percentage of URMs that most states, and since 50% of the admits need to be in-state, they probably have to get what in-state URMs they can. Plus, you numbers are strong enough even without the URM.

I think you'll get full-tuition or close to it.

Congrats in UIUC! I got in last night with 25%. I'm pretty excited. That's the first merit scholarship I've ever received.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Opie wrote:
DportIA wrote:I just got 75% tuition to UIUC. I am getting somewhat impatient about getting scholarship information from Iowa. Come on home state school.

I don't know about negotiation, but I would imagine that an in-state URM would be very competitive at Iowa. Iowa (the state, not the school) has a smaller percentage of URMs that most states, and since 50% of the admits need to be in-state, they probably have to get what in-state URMs they can. Plus, you numbers are strong enough even without the URM.

Congrats in UIUC! I got in last night with 25%. I'm pretty excited. That's the first merit scholarship I've ever received.

Well it looks like I am in the middle of you two! I got 50%. Not even considering going there though.

If I plan on going to Drake with the Opperman, is it dumb to ask Iowa if they could remove the stipulations on my scholarship? I mean I don't really have nothing to lose if I likely won't end up there, but I fear that I would look/sound like a complete asshole. Is it a normal thing to ask for?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:

Well it looks like I am in the middle of you two! I got 50%. Not even considering going there though.

If I plan on going to Drake with the Opperman, is it dumb to ask Iowa if they could remove the stipulations on my scholarship? I mean I don't really have nothing to lose if I likely won't end up there, but I fear that I would look/sound like a complete asshole. Is it a normal thing to ask for?

I'm not sure how many people ask for that. I don't think it's an asshole thing to do. Might change your decision process a little.

I'm nit really looking at UIUC either, but it's decent leverage.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I haven't heard of Iowa dropping stipulations for scholarships. I could be wrong.

I do know they offer full rides without stipulations, but I haven't encountered too many students with those. Usually it's the top 1/3rd stipulation.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”