IOWA 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeerMaker

Re: IOWA 2012

Postby BeerMaker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm

brupe wrote:Preliminary Waitlist for me, 2nd year in a row.

sorry to hear that, brupe. what are your stats? i'm not planning for much better news myself.

brupe

Postby brupe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:23 pm

NOT good stats at all, which is why I expected a straight denial. 2010 graduate, 3.7 gpa, 153 lsat. But I've got 3 years of paralegal experience and my recs were all from UI alum lawyers so I think that's what got me a prelim waitlist.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 pm

brupe wrote:NOT good stats at all, which is why I expected a straight denial. 2010 graduate, 3.7 gpa, 153 lsat. But I've got 3 years of paralegal experience and my recs were all from UI alum lawyers so I think that's what got me a prelim waitlist.

Not to sound like the usual TLSer, but how many times have you taken the LSAT?

BeerMaker

Postby BeerMaker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:52 pm

brupe wrote:NOT good stats at all, which is why I expected a straight denial. 2010 graduate, 3.7 gpa, 153 lsat. But I've got 3 years of paralegal experience and my recs were all from UI alum lawyers so I think that's what got me a prelim waitlist.

Hey brupe, you have a legit GPA. Have you considered taking the LSAT again? I scored 151 once and now I have a 166. With a lot of studying, you could match that GPA with a high enough LSAT that Iowa would most likely give you a lot of $$

Also, if you're working as a paralegal, it would be crazy to give up that cash and pay full tuition at Iowa. Just my opinion. I could see studying really hard an profiting from the paralegal cash for a while and then going to Iowa when you're good and ready.

UWSP2012

Postby UWSP2012 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Did you guys get a scholarship offer in your letter of admission?

jbabs

Postby jbabs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:21 pm

No, my scholarship offer came about a month after the initial admissions letter.

brupe

Postby brupe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I've taken it twice, best score being 151 :( . It's depressing to say lol. I thought I'd apply just in case. I've been working for my 2nd year outside of school,so I'm not too worried, I do enjoy the cash that that rolls in. I've got plenty of time. If I get denied again this time, I'll probably take another 2 or 3 years off and actually study really really hard for the lsat then go back...as I said, the bank roll is pretty sweet and it's not like I'm doing a job that doesn't benefit me! I'm writing an Appellee Proof Brief for the Supreme Court as we speak :)

btw384

Postby btw384 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Got my snail mail acceptance letter yesterday saying scholarship info is still to come. Got another package today, but all it had was a letter from the Provost saying what dates deposits are due.

False alarm.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:17 pm

brupe wrote:I've taken it twice, best score being 151 :( . It's depressing to say lol. I thought I'd apply just in case. I've been working for my 2nd year outside of school,so I'm not too worried, I do enjoy the cash that that rolls in. I've got plenty of time. If I get denied again this time, I'll probably take another 2 or 3 years off and actually study really really hard for the lsat then go back...as I said, the bank roll is pretty sweet and it's not like I'm doing a job that doesn't benefit me! I'm writing an Appellee Proof Brief for the Supreme Court as we speak :)

I'm jealous! Do you work in Iowa currently?

Definitely save some cash (so you don't have to borrow as much to live off) and work hard on the LSAT. The guides in the LSAT section on TLS are great. I know a 180 probably isn't in store for you, but do the methods in the forum and maybe take a class, you can probably break 160. Couple a 160 with your GPA and great experience and you should get in. They know you want it!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 pm

brupe wrote:I've taken it twice, best score being 151 :( . It's depressing to say lol. I thought I'd apply just in case. I've been working for my 2nd year outside of school,so I'm not too worried, I do enjoy the cash that that rolls in. I've got plenty of time. If I get denied again this time, I'll probably take another 2 or 3 years off and actually study really really hard for the lsat then go back...as I said, the bank roll is pretty sweet and it's not like I'm doing a job that doesn't benefit me! I'm writing an Appellee Proof Brief for the Supreme Court as we speak :)

If you're in Iowa somewhere I'd be happy to look over a practice test or two that you've taken and help out as well as give recommendations for more prep work.

armstrot

Postby armstrot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:55 pm

congrats!!! I got my acceptance letter a couple days ago and thought it was pretty weird that they enclosed medical forms and vaccination forms in it. Nothing else. The other schools sent a nice personal notes, scholarship letter, cool brochures and all kinds of cool stuff that made you excited about the school. But Iowa was like "just want to make sure you don't have any diseases"....i thought it was very weird...did you guys get that or was it specifically for me?
btw384 wrote:Got my snail mail acceptance letter yesterday saying scholarship info is still to come. Got another package today, but all it had was a letter from the Provost saying what dates deposits are due.

False alarm.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:32 pm

armstrot wrote:congrats!!! I got my acceptance letter a couple days ago and thought it was pretty weird that they enclosed medical forms and vaccination forms in it. Nothing else. The other schools sent a nice personal notes, scholarship letter, cool brochures and all kinds of cool stuff that made you excited about the school. But Iowa was like "just want to make sure you don't have any diseases"....i thought it was very weird...did you guys get that or was it specifically for me?
btw384 wrote:Got my snail mail acceptance letter yesterday saying scholarship info is still to come. Got another package today, but all it had was a letter from the Provost saying what dates deposits are due.

False alarm.

My acceptance letter from Dean Byrd came with a brochure about the university as a whole and a giant university map. I later got a letter from the assistant provost with the medical form.

brupe

Postby brupe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks @Chrisbru, I'm in Ottumwa right now. I'd love that.
@Opie, that's what I'm going to be shooting for, I know I'd get in with that, as my mother is a tenured professor in the graduate college of nursing at Iowa. And Iowa is my alma mater! The only thing holding me back is that damn Lsat.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:42 pm

brupe wrote:Thanks @Chrisbru, I'm in Ottumwa right now. I'd love that.
@Opie, that's what I'm going to be shooting for, I know I'd get in with that, as my mother is a tenured professor in the graduate college of nursing at Iowa. And Iowa is my alma mater! The only thing holding me back is that damn Lsat.

Frankly, if you could get up to a 170, you could probably have a full ride at Northwestern with an ED app. Not sure if you're interested in that, but thought I'd mention it.

armstrot

Postby armstrot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, that's good that at least they weren't doing this to everybody, I guess I am just so special ;)
Opie wrote:
armstrot wrote:congrats!!! I got my acceptance letter a couple days ago and thought it was pretty weird that they enclosed medical forms and vaccination forms in it. Nothing else. The other schools sent a nice personal notes, scholarship letter, cool brochures and all kinds of cool stuff that made you excited about the school. But Iowa was like "just want to make sure you don't have any diseases"....i thought it was very weird...did you guys get that or was it specifically for me?

False alarm.

My acceptance letter from Dean Byrd came with a brochure about the university as a whole and a giant university map. I later got a letter from the assistant provost with the medical form.

ClarissaT

Postby ClarissaT » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by ClarissaT on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickjive

Postby nickjive » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:05 pm

ClarissaT wrote:Hi all,

I got my acceptance letter from Iowa a couple weeks ago and my scholarship letter this week! - I got a Merit Scholarship of $24,682 per year which is $74,046 in total.

I was also accepted to Minnesota a few weeks ago and received a full-tuiton scholarship. I was surprised to receive a better scholarship from Minnesota than from Iowa, especially since I am an Iowa resident. My LSAT score is 168, GPA 3.8.

Is there any chance I could negotiate with Iowa about my scholarship to see if they will match Minnesota's full-tuition scholarship?...I would really rather stay in Iowa but would like to have as little debt as possible.

I've also been given a full-tuition scholarship at Drake which I am also considering...

Any advice?

Pretty sure your Iowa scholarship is full tuition since you're in state. If you don't want it, I'll take it! :)

jbabs

Postby jbabs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:20 pm

I got my acceptance letter from Iowa a couple weeks ago and my scholarship letter this week! - I got a Merit Scholarship of $24,682 per year which is $74,046 in total.

I was also accepted to Minnesota a few weeks ago and received a full-tuiton scholarship. I was surprised to receive a better scholarship from Minnesota than from Iowa, especially since I am an Iowa resident. My LSAT score is 168, GPA 3.8.

Is there any chance I could negotiate with Iowa about my scholarship to see if they will match Minnesota's full-tuition scholarship?...I would really rather stay in Iowa but would like to have as little debt as possible.

I've also been given a full-tuition scholarship at Drake which I am also considering...

Any advice?

You've already got your full ride from Iowa, since in-state tuition is exactly $24,682. I suppose you could try to negotiate for a stipend, but I don't think they're that generous. :P

ClarissaT

Postby ClarissaT » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Last edited by ClarissaT on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:04 pm

The loan is to cover books, fees, expenses, travel, medical etc that is associated with living.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 pm

typ3 wrote:The loan is to cover books, fees, expenses, travel, medical etc that is associated with living.

Yup.

Honestly, though, go to Minnesota if you want to work in Minnesota. If you want to work in Des Moines, Drake vs. Iowa would be a hard choice. If you want to work elsewhere in Iowa, go to Iowa. If you want to work in a place that isn't Iowa or Minnesota... Well, Iowa vs. Minnesota is pretty much a toss up.

knightjd

Postby knightjd » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:57 pm

"Preliminary waitlist" today via status checker... bummer. Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 pm

knightjd wrote:"Preliminary waitlist" today via status checker... bummer. Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Anybody know what the difference between preliminary and regular waitlist is? Just curious.

knightjd

Postby knightjd » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Opie wrote:
knightjd wrote:"Preliminary waitlist" today via status checker... bummer. Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Anybody know what the difference between preliminary and regular waitlist is? Just curious.

"Okay I called! A "preliminary waitlist" is different from a normal waitlist because preliminary waitlists could be accepted anytime between now and March 1st. A normal waitlist wouldn't get their decision until after March 1st. So... there ya go !"'

....Just copied that from last years thread, so there's still a chance!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Any advice?

Lol, I had the same problem with the scholarship. I was expecting it to say "Full Tuition" if they were to give me one, so when it said $74,046, I thought it was partial. Especially with the loan being thrown in, I was really confused. Thankfully TLS helped clear it up for me too. I think the fact that other people have gotten scholarships worth $130,000 made it more confusing for me initially.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”