IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Silver

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by Opie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:21 pm

neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:Still not in review neeko? I'm dying for a decision. I'm really hoping for tomorrow.
Nope, no review for me. Complete 10/31.
Hmmm... That sucks. I bet the first round of acceptances will come out and then you'll go to review.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 am

Okay everybody. If you get an acceptance today, you need to text me right away at... Just kidding! I'm really hoping for an acceptance today though.

Keep us updated if you get one!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 am

Opie wrote:Okay everybody. If you get an acceptance today, you need to text me right away at... Just kidding! I'm really hoping for an acceptance today though.

See the good thing about not being in review with everybody else is I don't even have to stress about this today.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:44 am

Been in review since 11/8. Hoping for a decision today!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:03 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:
Opie wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:I'm clearly too old for barhopping, because the only place on that list that doesn't sound completely terrible to me is Joe's Place. Your mileage may vary.

Get off my lawn!
I used that phrase earlier today. We can be old together. How old are you?
Ugh. Don't make me *say* it.

I'm 35.
Umm we have someone in our class who is that age with kids and a wife who still has managed to make it out for a few bar hopping events. 1.) he must have a wonderful wife. 2.) your colleagues in law school will most likely be between 22-26 so you might limit your opportunities to network if you don't go out with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:21 pm

typ3 wrote: Umm we have someone in our class who is that age with kids and a wife who still has managed to make it out for a few bar hopping events. 1.) he must have a wonderful wife. 2.) your colleagues in law school will most likely be between 22-26 so you might limit your opportunities to network if you don't go out with them.
Well, of course I'll still go out. I wouldn't let my curmudgeonry (?) interfere with any networking opportunities. Also, I happen to love Joe's Place. :)

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Serious question. What about kids that don't really go out? My socially awkward nature combined with my hatred for bars means I'm pretty bad at meeting others. I've always known this would hurt my networking opportunities, but how bad would it be if a student didn't ever go out drinking? I'd much rather spend my weekend with my girlfriend playing Modern Warfare 3. If it's any indication, I have never drank and I have never gone out to a bar in my 4 years of college (other than for music). The idea of spending my night paying to get into loud rooms full of drunk people sounds miserable.

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Opie wrote:Okay everybody. If you get an acceptance today, you need to text me right away at... Just kidding! I'm really hoping for an acceptance today though.

Help me understand why we're thinking today's the day? I'm all for it, of course, but I'm not sure what the reasoning is. I know we're in the 4th week of November, and the chart on the first page shows zero on that week 2009-2010, and many on the first week of December.

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Serious question. What about kids that don't really go out? My socially awkward nature combined with my hatred for bars means I'm pretty bad at meeting others. I've always known this would hurt my networking opportunities, but how bad would it be if a student didn't ever go out drinking? I'd much rather spend my weekend with my girlfriend playing Modern Warfare 3. If it's any indication, I have never drank and I have never gone out to a bar in my 4 years of college (other than for music). The idea of spending my night paying to get into loud rooms full of drunk people sounds miserable.
I suspect that networking with other students outside of school - while fun, and potentially useful - is less important than doing well in school and in OCI's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:

Help me understand why we're thinking today's the day? I'm all for it, of course, but I'm not sure what the reasoning is. I know we're in the 4th week of November, and the chart on the first page shows zero on that week 2009-2010, and many on the first week of December.
Because status checker says this: "The Admissions Committee does not anticipate reviewing applications and releasing decisions until mid to late November."

Then people can tell their relatives over Thanksgiving dinner!

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:22 pm

nickjive wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:

Because status checker says this: "The Admissions Committee does not anticipate reviewing applications and releasing decisions until mid to late November."

Does yours still say that? Mine has no such banner any more, or at least not since I went into review.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:35 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:
nickjive wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:

Does yours still say that? Mine has no such banner any more, or at least not since I went into review.
No banner for me. My estimation came from when the first wave was last year. Also, the length of time from going complete until decision. And it's almost always on a Monday. Plus I think if I were them I would want the first wave done before Thanksgiving.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 pm

It's still on my review-less checker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm

neeko wrote:It's still on my review-less checker.
Yup, got the quote from my review-less checker. :x

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Serious question. What about kids that don't really go out? My socially awkward nature combined with my hatred for bars means I'm pretty bad at meeting others. I've always known this would hurt my networking opportunities, but how bad would it be if a student didn't ever go out drinking? I'd much rather spend my weekend with my girlfriend playing Modern Warfare 3. If it's any indication, I have never drank and I have never gone out to a bar in my 4 years of college (other than for music). The idea of spending my night paying to get into loud rooms full of drunk people sounds miserable.
I suspect that networking with other students outside of school - while fun, and potentially useful - is less important than doing well in school and in OCI's.
They aren't mutually exclusive. Although I can't prove this, the more social 2L's seem to be the ones towards the top of their class. I do know that I've gotten a lot of old outlines through going out and meeting people. So to each their own.

You guys are acting like you won't have any free time in law school-- spoiler until 2L year and late November/December you will have plenty of it. The average workload is 20/25 pages a night per class your first semester. You will have substantive classes 2 or 3 days a week depending on your schedule. That is a lot of free time to do other stuff. Some people spend their free time blowing through videos on netflix or on the web.. other people do social things.

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 pm

typ3 wrote:
40_Minus_1 wrote:
They aren't mutually exclusive. Although I can't prove this, the more social 2L's seem to be the ones towards the top of their class. I do know that I've gotten a lot of old outlines through going out and meeting people. So to each their own.

You guys are acting like you won't have any free time in law school-- spoiler until 2L year and late November/December you will have plenty of it. The average workload is 20/25 pages a night per class your first semester. You will have substantive classes 2 or 3 days a week depending on your schedule. That is a lot of free time to do other stuff. Some people spend their free time blowing through videos on netflix or on the web.. other people do social things.
Thank you for the info on workload, that's helpful! :)

I don't think anyone was necessarily worried about not having time to go out. He was saying that he doesn't like to go out (and so was I, earlier). I was just saying it's probably not something to worry too much about.

I have no doubt that there's a strong correlation between high interpersonal skills and doing well in school, but I don't think the former is necessary for the latter - though it surely couldn't hurt. :)

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks for the responses! As 40_Minus_1 said, I'm not worried about having free time, it's just a matter of how it will be spent. I know I'm in the minority with my social preferences, but I was just making sure I wouldn't be screwing myself over by being introverted. It would obviously help to go out frequently, but I don't think it's something I could change.

What about studying? Do lots of people study on their own or does it tend to be a social thing? I know this varies by person, but I didn't know if lots of people do study groups in law school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:31 pm

Go to a different school? :D

In all seriousness though... There are people who never go out in our class. They are also the ones that look most lonely around the law school building. There are also people that don't love to go out, but do so once in a while (especially at the beginning) to meet people in a social setting. There are a handful of people in our class that don't drink and still go to the bar. It's cheap (most bars have no cover except home games) and it really isn't the animal house atmosphere that you may imagine. Especially with bars like TCB (pool hall), Joe's (more grad students), and Blue Moose/The Mill (live music), you can find a place that fits your personality.

Then, of course, there's those of us that show up to a 10:30am class 10 minutes late wearing a ball cap and sunglasses. But check in with me when grades come out before we decide for sure how bad that does for me. :D

Social skills are going to be more useful for getting a job than for getting good grades. Yeah, you may get an outline, or a study group, or yadda yadda, but it's just as possible to get good grades without any help from anyone else. A job, on the other hand, is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get if you don't know how to be social. And beyond that... Getting promoted in a legal environment will have a lot to do with your social skills, which probably will include going to bars with your coworkers/superiors, even if you don't drink.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Study groups are pretty common in law school, but some people go solo. I'm more of a solo person for detailed studying, but I like to get together and argue about the material on a more high level basis.

If it helps, I can set up a 1L D&D night for next year. ;)

40_Minus_1

New

Post by 40_Minus_1 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Opie wrote:Study groups are pretty common in law school, but some people go solo. I'm more of a solo person for detailed studying, but I like to get together and argue about the material on a more high level basis.

Nerd!

PM me when you get it started

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:50 pm

40_Minus_1 wrote:
Opie wrote:Study groups are pretty common in law school, but some people go solo. I'm more of a solo person for detailed studying, but I like to get together and argue about the material on a more high level basis.

Nerd!

PM me when you get it started
Haha! Will do. Who better to study law than people who have been rules lawyering for 20 years?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Just don't pull any crap like making people wander around for weeks because they forgot to say they wanted to search for a false bottom on a treasure chest. That stuff is infuriating.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 pm

typ3 wrote:Just don't pull any crap like making people wander around for weeks because they forgot to say they wanted to search for a false bottom on a treasure chest. That stuff is infuriating.
ITT: We all out ourselves as shameless nerds.

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 pm

You're going to have a rough time convincing future employers that you can bring in business.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:05 pm

I just thought of this: Gabe's. It's one of the best live music venues in the country. Shred can go there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”