IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shredderrrrrr

Gold

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:07 pm

chrisbru wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:
In an effort to stem the wash-rinse-repeat of the forum I was wondering if any current students out there would mind talking about their favorite and least favorite parts of living in Iowa, specifically Iowa City.

Skipping everyone's comments so as to give you my first reactions. I'll do specifically Iowa City/Coralville (I live in Coralville).

Pros:
*The energy in this city is unbelievable. I've lived in other college towns, and nothing compares to it. Sure, the sidewalks aren't ALWAYS moving, and it slows down in the winter, but people here love to be here, and that shows
*The bar scene is intimate without getting stale. I feel like I'm familiar with most of the bars in town, I recognize the same bartenders working every weekend, I know where the bathrooms are, etc. But there are enough bars that I don't get bored if I go out 3 or 4 nights a week, because we can mix it up. No, it's not a big city with different districts, but for a college town it is great.
*Big Ten sports (especially football.) There is nothing like a football Saturday in Iowa City, even when the Hawks are mediocre at best. Some people may hate the traffic, but I love the support and energy that comes in for Hawkeye sports. Men's basketball is picking up steam this year, and the wrestling team is ALWAYS phenomenal.
*It's easy to get away from campus. If you get tired of the hustle and bustle, city campus feel of the university... Hey, hop in the car and drive 10 minutes to Coralville. I love living in Coralville, and I don't care who knows it. :D I have a fenced in yard, a park down the street from my house, and it's a short drive to everywhere I want to go. When it is nice out, I can walk to the mall in 5 minutes or so.... Sure, the mall is mediocre, but it's got everything I need - Food, best buy, sports store, and target.
*Options - There are a TON of food options as far as typical Iowa cities go. There is actually pretty good asian food - Indian, Thai, Chinese, Sushi. Plus there are typical college town options, delivery, upscale, etc.
*It's a young, liberal city... Which I feel like is easier to move to, because it feels more "open arms" for new people. And although its young and liberal, you're not out of place if you're an older, more conservative person by any means.
*Open-minded - You won't (in general) be judged for who you are. There's a thriving LGBT scene (with THE best gay bar in Iowa right in the Ped Mall), there's a thriving Hipster scene (I can't even walk into the Mill without being handed a Grain Belt or PBR), EDM/House/Dubstep/Electro scene (Gabe's and Blue Moose host electronic DJs at least once a week), Live music (from Radio Moscow to Childish Gambino to New Found Glory to William Elliot Whitmore, you can see everything here), and the list goes on, and on, and on. If there is something you are into, you bet your ass you can find people who share that interest with you without much searching.

Cons:
*It can feel small after a while. I moved from Des Moines to Ames, to Seattle, then to Iowa City... And coming back to Iowa everything feels smaller. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just not a good thing. You'll know the IC/Coralville area like the back of your hand by the time you graduate, but I love that. Also, Cedar Rapids is 30 minutes away, the Quad Cities are an hour away, Des Moines is 2 hours away, Madison and Milwaukee are 3 hours away, and Chicago is 3.5 hours away. It's VERY EASY to change the scenery, which is really nice.
*Midwest weather. Yes, it will be cold from mid-November until early-March. It's not that bad, but it depends on the year. I don't think we've been below 20 degrees yet, and have had no snow. It's a little better than being in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Chicago, and a little worse than being in Kansas City/St. Louis.

I'll try to think of more cons, but all-in-all I love Iowa to death. I left for over a year and just couldn't wait to get back here. Sure, the cities are smaller and we may be behind as far as social scene development goes... But the people are top notch, the values are good, it's easy to be who you want to be, and I, for one, am never bored.
I'd say Coral Ridge is more than mediocre. It may not be Jordan Creek, but for a small community, it is a nice mall. Sure beats Sycamore and Old Capital (although, they do have Sweets and Treats).

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
I'd say Coral Ridge is more than mediocre. It may not be Jordan Creek, but for a small community, it is a nice mall. Sure beats Sycamore and Old Capital (although, they do have Sweets and Treats).

I meant more in comparison to shopping in bigger cities. It does have quite a bit going on though.

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Admitted to Iowa via email. First acceptance and definitely one of my top schools.

:popscollar:

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:42 pm

EMAW12 wrote:Admitted to Iowa via email. First acceptance and definitely one of my top schools.

You'll fit in well with the undergrad crowd :D

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:03 pm

chrisbru wrote:
EMAW12 wrote:Admitted to Iowa via email. First acceptance and definitely one of my top schools.

I recommend he get a place within stumbling--nay, crawling distance of the Sports Column.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Pffffft...Well played.

Constructed my schedule this semester to only Tuesday and Thursday classes, so an extended weekend in Iowa City is on the horizon.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:46 pm

EMAW12 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Pffffft...Well played.

Constructed my schedule this semester to only Tuesday and Thursday classes, so an extended weekend in Iowa City is on the horizon.
Let me know when you come. Law night is on Thursdays and a good group of law students all congregate at the same bar. Other than that, we're usually out but scattered around more.

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm

chrisbru wrote: Let me know when you come. Law night is on Thursdays and a good group of law students all congregate at the same bar. Other than that, we're usually out but scattered around more.
Will do. Sounds awesome.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Anyone know about residency requirements?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Anyone else find it unusual that there are NO other scholly offers on LSN yet? I saw one, but I think he's listing a one-year amount.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Iowa does send out a few partial offers i think it's the difference between out of state and in state over 3 years. I'm not sure about partials for resident students though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:22 pm

typ3 wrote:Iowa does send out a few partial offers i think it's the difference between out of state and in state over 3 years. I'm not sure about partials for resident students though.
Hmm.. That really sucks. Makes me lean a lot more toward Drake.

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm liking all the positive and negative aspects about IC; getting some great perspective! If you only had one day to visit the city (specifically this Monday holiday), what are the top 5 things one HAS to do/see/eat?

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Eat Mesa Pizza for lunch. Seriously. You'll thank me

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm

What's up, snow? Since it's blowing around here, we have a half inch in some spots, and 6 inches in others.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:38 pm

nickjive wrote:I'm liking all the positive and negative aspects about IC; getting some great perspective! If you only had one day to visit the city (specifically this Monday holiday), what are the top 5 things one HAS to do/see/eat?
+1 to Mesa Pizza, it's delicious. If you're here on Monday, there's free pool at TCB. The ped mall will be quiet, but it will be easy to check out a handful of bars that day... Or, if you come Sunday night, I'll be going out most likely and can show you around. Almost all are open on Monday. Take a swing through Coralville on your way into town (I suggest getting off on Coral Ridge Ave - Exit 240, turning south, and then making a left on 2nd street which will bring you all the way to campus) and checking out what business are on those roads. Head over to main campus, check out the Memorial Union and the old capitol, then check out ped mall in the day to find the University Bookstore, a handful of cool shops/restaurants (including Mesa Pizza) and the old capitol mall. Also, drive past Kinnick if you've never been, its an awesome stadium... Carver Hawkeye arena is near there too.

I have to go out of town for an interview for a summer position about 2pm on Monday, but if you need anything Sunday night or Monday during the day (or a place to stay) let me know!

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 pm

chrisbru wrote:
nickjive wrote:I'm liking all the positive and negative aspects about IC; getting some great perspective! If you only had one day to visit the city (specifically this Monday holiday), what are the top 5 things one HAS to do/see/eat?
+1 to Mesa Pizza, it's delicious. If you're here on Monday, there's free pool at TCB. The ped mall will be quiet, but it will be easy to check out a handful of bars that day... Or, if you come Sunday night, I'll be going out most likely and can show you around. Almost all are open on Monday. Take a swing through Coralville on your way into town (I suggest getting off on Coral Ridge Ave - Exit 240, turning south, and then making a left on 2nd street which will bring you all the way to campus) and checking out what business are on those roads. Head over to main campus, check out the Memorial Union and the old capitol, then check out ped mall in the day to find the University Bookstore, a handful of cool shops/restaurants (including Mesa Pizza) and the old capitol mall. Also, drive past Kinnick if you've never been, its an awesome stadium... Carver Hawkeye arena is near there too.

I have to go out of town for an interview for a summer position about 2pm on Monday, but if you need anything Sunday night or Monday during the day (or a place to stay) let me know!
Thanks! Much appreciated!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:

+1 more to Mesa for lunch. It's cheap and has a very wide selection. If you're there for dinner you should hit Hamburg Inn. There are a lot of great restaurants, but Hamburg Inn is an IC legend. It is a local staple.

Definitely check out downtown. That is the best part of Iowa City. I've also always loved the residential area on the east side of town by City High School and Regina, but not really something you can "check out."

punkyg0608

Bronze

Post by punkyg0608 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:43 pm

In via status checker! I was shocked, I've been checking all month and have seen no movement, and all of a sudden it appeared! Status checking is not a waste of time after all :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 pm

punkyg0608 wrote:In via status checker! I was shocked, I've been checking all month and have seen no movement, and all of a sudden it appeared! Status checking is not a waste of time after all :D
Congrats! Traditionally they have emailed I think, but this year people are finding out by status checker. You'll probably get a letter int he mail next week.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 pm

I keep on checking my status too.

It never changes. :|

ionoiforgot

New

Post by ionoiforgot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has been asked before, but does anyone know when financial aid information is given? I recall some people noting earlier in the thread about scholarships they got, but so far I haven't gotten any information about it. Should I presume as an OOS I'm going to be stuck footing a big bill, or should I be waiting till February/March for additional information?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

ionoiforgot wrote:I'm sorry if I'm asking a question that has been asked before, but does anyone know when financial aid information is given? I recall some people noting earlier in the thread about scholarships they got, but so far I haven't gotten any information about it. Should I presume as an OOS I'm going to be stuck footing a big bill, or should I be waiting till February/March for additional information?
Oh nice! A new question for once!

Come on, this question has literally been answered at least 4 or 5 times. Just to make sure you don't have to do too much work, I'll give you a start. Page 45.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”