IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 pm

ilovehalusky wrote: Thanks guys, I am hoping that it will all go well. I would definitely be interested in all outlines since I plan to live at the law building haha.

Please, don't do this. You will be immensely more frustrated when you inevitably get fucked by the curve of a class or two. Law school grades are important, but so is your sanity. It is ENTIRELY possible to do well in law school and still have a life.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm

jgalgano wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Just got schedule:
MTW 8:00 AM Property Kurtz
MTW 11:10 AM Contracts Burton
MTW 12:40 PM Torts Bohannan
RF 11:00 AM Writing Sheerin
Anyone else on this track?
Almost exact schedule I had last semester. Be careful with T and W. You will have 25-35 pages to prepare for each class and the last thing you want to do is read 105 pages for the next day (while finishing your legal memo)! :)
Or you could just plan to skip at least one class every Wednesday.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:22 am

jgalgano wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:
jgalgano wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:Just got schedule:
MTW 8:00 AM Property Kurtz
MTW 11:10 AM Contracts Burton
MTW 12:40 PM Torts Bohannan
RF 11:00 AM Writing Sheerin
Anyone else on this track?
Almost exact schedule I had last semester. Be careful with T and W. You will have 25-35 pages to prepare for each class and the last thing you want to do is read 105 pages for the next day (while finishing your legal memo)! :)
Thanks guys, I am hoping that it will all go well. I would definitely be interested in all outlines since I plan to live at the law building haha.
Halusky? Are you from Pittsburgh?
lol no, it's just my favorite food

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:27 am

chrisbru wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote: Thanks guys, I am hoping that it will all go well. I would definitely be interested in all outlines since I plan to live at the law building haha.

Please, don't do this. You will be immensely more frustrated when you inevitably get fucked by the curve of a class or two. Law school grades are important, but so is your sanity. It is ENTIRELY possible to do well in law school and still have a life.
I understand. I plan on this being like an 8-5 job and going home with my family afterwards. We'll see if I need more time at the school or if I need to take more time at home after the first few weeks. You think that's enough time to cover everything?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:11 am

ilovehalusky wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I understand. I plan on this being like an 8-5 job and going home with my family afterwards. We'll see if I need more time at the school or if I need to take more time at home after the first few weeks. You think that's enough time to cover everything?
I'll ignore the dichotomy of "I plan to live at the law building" and "8-5 job."

It depends on the week. You have to be adaptable, it's not really possible to plan everything out for the whole semester. LAWR assignment weeks will take more time. Non-LAWR assignment weeks for the first 2/3 of the semester won't need that much time (in my opinion). Closing in on finals will probably require more time than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I'll ignore the dichotomy of "I plan to live at the law building" and "8-5 job."

It depends on the week. You have to be adaptable, it's not really possible to plan everything out for the whole semester. LAWR assignment weeks will take more time. Non-LAWR assignment weeks for the first 2/3 of the semester won't need that much time (in my opinion). Closing in on finals will probably require more time than that.
Haha yeah 8-5 seems like living in the law building to me since undergrad was only a few hours a day and a job in the afternoons. I figured law school would need way more study time than undergrad though. I'm glad that it won't need much more than 9 hrs/day except for near the end of the semester.

What's the gym like that's near the law building? Anyone ever use it?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 pm

ilovehalusky wrote: Haha yeah 8-5 seems like living in the law building to me since undergrad was only a few hours a day and a job in the afternoons. I figured law school would need way more study time than undergrad though. I'm glad that it won't need much more than 9 hrs/day except for near the end of the semester.

What's the gym like that's near the law building? Anyone ever use it?
Depends which one you mean...

Fieldhouse is really close, like a block and a half away. It's old and pretty shitty, but gets the job done. Has open basketball courts that we play at sometimes.

The Campus Rec Center is a little bit further away, maybe a 5 minute walk, but is amazing. It's only a few years old, has a rock climbing wall, lazy river, tons of nice equipment, etc. But, also, lots more undergrads.

glabuz

New

Post by glabuz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm

does anyone want to call the admissions office to see what's going on? i've been bombarding them with emails and phonecalls all summer, so im a little hesitant to call again.

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 pm

glabuz wrote:does anyone want to call the admissions office to see what's going on? i've been bombarding them with emails and phonecalls all summer, so im a little hesitant to call again.
are u referring to the waitlist?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

UPDATE on Waitlist*

I spoke with the admission office today, and it seems like they may or may not go to the waitlist. The incoming class will be around 160. I hear they are already around that number, which means even if they do go to the waitlist, it won't be for many :/

Good luck everyone

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:52 pm

jshyne wrote:UPDATE on Waitlist*

I spoke with the admission office today, and it seems like they may or may not go to the waitlist. The incoming class will be around 160. I hear they are already around that number, which means even if they do go to the waitlist, it won't be for many :/

Good luck everyone
My prediction - they will go to their waitlist, but in the first full week of August (aug 6-11), because higher-ranked schools will poach at least a couple top incoming students and mess up the distribution.

Don't quote me on it, but it's likely.

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jshyne wrote:UPDATE on Waitlist*

Good luck everyone
My prediction - they will go to their waitlist, but in the first full week of August (aug 6-11), because higher-ranked schools will poach at least a couple top incoming students and mess up the distribution.

Don't quote me on it, but it's likely.
Oh isn't that just exciting!! :|

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 pm

jshyne wrote:
Oh aren't you just negative!! :|

I don't know what you want me to tell you - you're on the waitlist, and still interested, so I'd be happy with the fact that there is a chance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jshyne wrote:
Oh aren't you just negative!! :|

I don't know what you want me to tell you - you're on the waitlist, and still interested, so I'd be happy with the fact that there is a chance.
hahahaha I wasn't being negative. Relax lol I am thankful, and will be content with whatever happens :D

legallybrandt

New

Post by legallybrandt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 pm

I just got in from the wait list. I was offered admission and accepted today. See you all in the fall!

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm

legallybrandt wrote:I just got in from the wait list. I was offered admission and accepted today. See you all in the fall!
Congrats!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Hey, im a rising 3L and haven't checked TLS much since 1L year but I wish the best for all of you still waiting and I look forward to seeing those of you attending.

I'm an orientation leader so maybe i'll have a few of you in my group...one week!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 am

Looks like they'll know today if they're taking anyone else off of the waitlist.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Bumping this..

What is with the administration reaching out to scholarship students to go and attend banquets and alumni functions now to raise money for the law school?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 am

typ3 wrote:Bumping this..

What is with the administration reaching out to scholarship students to go and attend banquets and alumni functions now to raise money for the law school?
Gotta work for dat scholarship.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:46 pm

[Edit]

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sillygoose31

New

Post by Sillygoose31 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey Hawkeyes. Recently did a visit to the school with just a mild interest in the joint jd/mha program. Walked away from the meeting and tour thinking Iowa may be THE ONE. Anyone on the thread pursuing a jd/mha? Maybe know anyone who is? I promise it exists. Thanks!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Sillygoose31 wrote:Hey Hawkeyes. Recently did a visit to the school with just a mild interest in the joint jd/mha program. Walked away from the meeting and tour thinking Iowa may be THE ONE. Anyone on the thread pursuing a jd/mha? Maybe know anyone who is? I promise it exists. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I know a girl in our class doing it - PM me your email and I'll ask her to email you.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm

IMO a better path if you are thinking MBA is MBA/MHA or JD/MHA.

Assuming you're looking job security and an easy time getting a job.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 pm

typ3 wrote:IMO a better path if you are thinking MBA is MBA/MHA or JD/MHA.

Assuming you're looking job security and an easy time getting a job.
These aren't really related though. If you want to do law and get an MBA, do it. If you want to do health administration, do one of these suggestions. If you don't want to do health administration (like me) this would be stupid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”