IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Silver

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by Opie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 pm

typ3 wrote:Requesting to join so I can spam information about events this year and next.
I think I just added you. I'm assuming it's you from the name. :mrgreen:

LizLemon7

New

Post by LizLemon7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 am

Hi All ---

I know I'm late to the posting, but I have been following this thread quite a bit through the process. Question for you all -- any luck in getting stips removed from scholarships? Have any of you talked to admissions?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 am

LizLemon7 wrote:Hi All ---

I know I'm late to the posting, but I have been following this thread quite a bit through the process. Question for you all -- any luck in getting stips removed from scholarships? Have any of you talked to admissions?
They said no way.

LizLemon7

New

Post by LizLemon7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:23 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:

They said no way.

Across the board? Regardless of circumstances? I'm debating even asking, but the thought of not knowing my rank until the year is over and then losing my scholarship is TERRIFYING.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:25 am

LizLemon7 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

They said no way.

Across the board? Regardless of circumstances? I'm debating even asking, but the thought of not knowing my rank until the year is over and then losing my scholarship is TERRIFYING.
It wouldn't hurt to ask, but they made it sound like they considered altering them across the board this year but then decided against it. This would imply that it was a policy decision rather than just an individual decision for me. It's not like they're gonna revoke your scholarship for asking though so I think it's worth a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LizLemon7

New

Post by LizLemon7 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
LizLemon7 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

They said no way.

It wouldn't hurt to ask, but they made it sound like they considered altering them across the board this year but then decided against it. This would imply that it was a policy decision rather than just an individual decision for me. It's not like they're gonna revoke your scholarship for asking though so I think it's worth a shot.
Thanks. Good to know. Do you know if they have any "tiered"-type system of scholarships -- that is, if you're not top 1/3, but you stay in top 1/2 you can keep x amount of scholarship, etc? One of my other offers has that tied to it (which is a little more reassuring).

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 am

LizLemon7 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
LizLemon7 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
They said no way.

Thanks. Good to know. Do you know if they have any "tiered"-type system of scholarships -- that is, if you're not top 1/3, but you stay in top 1/2 you can keep x amount of scholarship, etc? One of my other offers has that tied to it (which is a little more reassuring).
As far as I know, they don't. I have a tiered scholarship offer elsewhere as well, but my Iowa offer (and all the other offers I've seen) are all or nothing.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:57 am

LizLemon7 wrote:
LizLemon7 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

I'm pretty sure if your outside the top 37% then you just lose the scholarship completely. Hence why it is a pretty big gamble. Although you can still gain in-state residency after the first year so you could come out with somewhat manageable debt. I think when I was looking at the numbers you would be somewhere around 102k in debt if you lost the scholly the first year or 76k if you lost it after the second year. I also don't think the stipulations are negotiable. Everyone I've talked to has gotten the same generic response back. I emailed them at like 10pm and got a response back by 8am the following day, so I doubt they even looked at my application before responding back.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:12 am

Two questions about ASW transportation:
1. Which shuttle from the Cedar Rapids Airport is cheapest into Iowa City?
2. Can you pay cash to board buses in IC?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:50 am

No tiered scholarships - But from what I understand, if you slip below the top 37.5% but then climb back into the top 37.5% you can pick your scholarship back up for the following semesters.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:Two questions about ASW transportation:

Yes, but I would discourage it since the buses in Iowa City are free.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 pm

typ3 wrote:

The CamBus run by the University is free and will likely get you almost everyweher you need to go. Iowa City has its own busses with reasonable fares that can be paid in cash upon boarding.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:44 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

The CamBus run by the University is free and will likely get you almost everyweher you need to go. Iowa City has its own busses with reasonable fares that can be paid in cash upon boarding.
Sweet, thanks guys. So does anyone know the answer to the first question? I don't want to break the bank on transit from the airport to IC.

P.S. DocHawkeye, I submitted my petition last week in my hometown and they said I should be able to have everything ready to transfer to Iowa by August.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:54 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Sweet, thanks guys. So does anyone know the answer to the first question? I don't want to break the bank on transit from the airport to IC.

P.S. DocHawkeye, I submitted my petition last week in my hometown and they said I should be able to have everything ready to transfer to Iowa by August.
I've heard IC has a great Lodge.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

What time do you get in? I can pick you up from the airport and give you a quick tour of Iowa City if you want since I will for sure be gone on Thursday night :/

might as well save a few extra bucks

I am done with class at 3:30 but I have a break from 10:10-1:00 P.M.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I always use Marco's Taxi. It's $35.25 to Iowa City but you should call ahead and let them know your flight number. Not sure if there is anything cheaper. I havent ever checked. For ASW last year I just found a cab sitting outside the airport and they charge around $70 to IC. So...I wouldnt recommend that.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

typ3 wrote:
ilovehalusky wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:
typ3 wrote:

What time do you get in? I can pick you up from the airport and give you a quick tour of Iowa City if you want since I will for sure be gone on Thursday night :/

might as well save a few extra bucks

I am done with class at 3:30 but I have a break from 10:10-1:00 P.M.
That would help a ton, I'll PM you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 am

skirschner1 wrote:
I always use Marco's Taxi. It's $35.25 to Iowa City but you should call ahead and let them know your flight number. Not sure if there is anything cheaper. I havent ever checked. For ASW last year I just found a cab sitting outside the airport and they charge around $70 to IC. So...I wouldnt recommend that.

Be careful not to slam their doors too hard - the vans are fragile, and they will charge you.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 pm

chrisbru wrote:
skirschner1 wrote:

Be careful not to slam their doors too hard - the vans are fragile, and they will charge you.
haha good times

theothertiffany

New

Post by theothertiffany » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:41 am

I usually use these guys http://www.crshuttle.com

Airport Shuttle Service
Eastern Iowa Airport
1-800-725-8460

I think it's typically about $40 to IC but you might want to call and get a rate. It's really convenient because you can go grab one at the airport counter by baggage claim.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 am

Looking forward to meeting a few of you tonight and tomorrow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 am

Slimpee wrote:Looking forward to meeting a few of you tonight and tomorrow!
Holler. +1.

Btw - I will try to convince all of you to come to lawlawpalooza. So just give in.

funlaws

New

Post by funlaws » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Has anyone on the "preliminary waitlist" received a decision?

imbored25

Bronze

Post by imbored25 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 pm

funlaws wrote:Has anyone on the "preliminary waitlist" received a decision?
no, the deposit at my state school is due april 1st too, should i email iowa and ask for a decision or just forget it

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm

imbored25 wrote:
funlaws wrote:Has anyone on the "preliminary waitlist" received a decision?
no, the deposit at my state school is due april 1st too, should i email iowa and ask for a decision or just forget it
Just because you deposit elsewhere doesn't mean you can't go to Iowa. You just lose that money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”