IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
buckythebadger

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by buckythebadger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:54 am

So does FAFSA have to be filled out before they consider you for scholarships at Iowa? The way they word it on their website makes it easy to interpret it that way

tzombus

New

Post by tzombus » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 am

buckythebadger wrote:So does FAFSA have to be filled out before they consider you for scholarships at Iowa? The way they word it on their website makes it easy to interpret it that way
I think the answer to this question is yes, but I'm nowhere near certain. If you haven't filled it out yet, though, it might not be a bad idea to get it completed pretty soon here, just in case.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm

I was admitted! :)
There was a notice on the page that individuals may not receive scholarship information until March. How long a period of time were recipients waiting before they received information in that regard?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Volake wrote:I was admitted! :)
There was a notice on the page that individuals may not receive scholarship information until March. How long a period of time were recipients waiting before they received information in that regard?
Must. Fight. Urge...

This has been discussed sev.. er, a few times before. It's on a rolling basis and it varies widely. More qualified candidates will also get theirs earlier.

Volake

New

Post by Volake » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Sorry I wasn't aware that this had been discussed a lot Opie, I've been trying to keep track of several of the admission threads and I must have forgotten that issue. In any case, good luck to you and other applicants for this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Opie wrote:
Volake wrote:I was admitted! :)
Must. Fight. Urge...

This has been discussed sev.. er, a few times before. It's on a rolling basis and it varies widely. More qualified candidates will also get theirs earlier.
Lol we should post the answer to that question at the top of each page as the first post. On one hand I can't blame people for not searching through all the old pages, but on the other, it gets old answering the same question every 20 posts.

burndtscorcho

New

Post by burndtscorcho » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Anybody get an application refund check in the mail from Iowa? I'm still in review, so kind of curious as to what's going on.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:01 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Anyone else get the email saying they'll cover your travel expenses (iirc it was up to $300) to visit the school? I didn't read it super closely, but I'm assuming this is only if you matriculate?
I didn't get that email (probably because I'm only like 180 miles away), but I would guess that they do this to get you to visit so that you'll want to matriculate.
Lol my parents live in IC (my hometown) and I currently live an hour and a half away and am in the city every couple of months. That's why I found it so strange lol. I alway wanted to check out Hotel Vetro though...might beat staying with my parents if I can make it down to ASW :lol: .
I asked and they said that you get reimbursed first day of classes. So yes, after you matriculate.

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:03 pm

buckythebadger wrote:So does FAFSA have to be filled out before they consider you for scholarships at Iowa? The way they word it on their website makes it easy to interpret it that way
I got a scholarship offer before my fafsa was complete so no. I think that subsidized loans are what you need the fafsa for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Accepted today via status checker! Looking forward to reading through this thread to get some answers to my questions... :wink:

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm

tzombus wrote:
I think the answer to this question is yes, but I'm nowhere near certain. If you haven't filled it out yet, though, it might not be a bad idea to get it completed pretty soon here, just in case.
Scholarships at Iowa seem to be pretty murky territory. I was accepted over a month ago, and I filled out my FAFSA on Jan. 1. Still no word on scholarship money. They even sent me some form to verify that I was a self-supporting student, which is odd since I obviously am self-supporting based on my FAFSA.

Despite my experience, it seems like some people got scholarship information pretty soon after being accepted, even without filling out the FAFSA. I would be concerned that I wasn't getting a scholarship, but I'm above one 75% and at median for the other, which I would think would be good for something. Hopefully they give some news soon, because I am starting negotiations and looking to make a decision!

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Withdrew from the preliminary waitlist.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 pm

FWIW, I got my scholarship before doing anything at all with FASFA. To be honest, I don't know the first thing about FASFA (my parents took care of finances when I went to UG). Is FASFA for getting loans? I'm just curious if I need to worry about it if I don't plan on taking any loans out for law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:FWIW, I got my scholarship before doing anything at all with FASFA. To be honest, I don't know the first thing about FASFA (my parents took care of finances when I went to UG). Is FASFA for getting loans? I'm just curious if I need to worry about it if I don't plan on taking any loans out for law school.
I'm pretty sure it is for need-based aid and for government loans of any kind. Anything government related uses the FAFSA. I would fill it out just in case the school were to offer you some kind of need-based aid, but I don't know that it is mandatory if you are 100% sure you won't be taking out loans.

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:59 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:FWIW, I got my scholarship before doing anything at all with FASFA. To be honest, I don't know the first thing about FASFA (my parents took care of finances when I went to UG). Is FASFA for getting loans? I'm just curious if I need to worry about it if I don't plan on taking any loans out for law school.
You might as well file. You can always deny any and all loan money and it would be a good safety net just in case your other finances don't work out.

It's pretty damn easy. I filled out my FAFSA after I did my taxes and it only took me about 10 minutes.

bigpig

New

Post by bigpig » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:06 pm

burndtscorcho wrote:Anybody get an application refund check in the mail from Iowa? I'm still in review, so kind of curious as to what's going on.
I know they give refunds for veterans...

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:41 pm

I've only 50% kept up with this thread, so my apologies if this has been asked within the past couple of weeks, but has anyone heard back from the prelim waitlist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 pm

You need it in order to collect that scholarship. They have to have it to create your award letter.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'll fill it out ASAP!

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:38 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for the responses! I'll fill it out ASAP!
Btw, nice pic. :lol:

BERBA!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 pm

btw384 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Thanks for the responses! I'll fill it out ASAP!
Btw, nice pic. :lol:

BERBA!
Haha everyone who recognizes Berbatov (ecspecially outside of the Futbol thread) gets a thumbs up in my book! :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 pm

So, is it rationale to assume that if they aren't bugging me about FAFSA then I'm looking at a scholarship of 0 dollars?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:04 pm

EMAW12 wrote:So, is it rationale to assume that if they aren't bugging me about FAFSA then I'm looking at a scholarship of 0 dollars?
I don't think so. I haven't even heard the word FASFA mentioned by Iowa and I got a full-tuition scholarship.

tzombus

New

Post by tzombus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:50 am

So I was admitted to Iowa via status checker and e-mail ten days ago, but I just realized that my "current status date" was updated to 2/10/2012 earlier today...I wonder if that means they completed my financial aid review. Probably just wishful thinking, but a guy can hope :)

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Anyone else get the email saying they'll cover your travel expenses (iirc it was up to $300) to visit the school? I didn't read it super closely, but I'm assuming this is only if you matriculate?
Yup, they only do this for scholarship recipients. Up to $300, must provide receipts. I'm not sure if they reimburse mileage, but airfare and hotel for sure.

And yes, only if you matriculate. You can submit receipts first day of orientation I believe, my refund check came in mid-September.

tyro wrote:Withdrew from the preliminary waitlist.
Thank you for this. I don't really ever want to meet you IRL.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”