IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brupe

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by brupe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 pm

They'll email you

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:04 pm

CaptainJack wrote:Just got the letter on my scholarship info. $137,520 as well as the research position the second two years. Although I'm surprised at the amount, I've seen in numerous times now. The stip of top 37.5% makes me think things could be ruthless among competing students as to not lose the money. Is there any knowledge of how many lose their scholarship?
see the first page, there is a little bit of talk about the top third stip in the intro that Type3 provided
Also - not to take anything away from Captain Jack, because full ride is awesome, but could Captain Jack's award be an indication that maybe full scholarships will go down a little further into the class this year? I ask because Capt. J's LSAT/GPA Formula score is 179.125, which would have been 3rd level Full Ride consideration in 2011, but appears to be auto full ride this year. Unless, we just aren't seeing many of the full scholarship awards on this thread.
Again, my purpose here is both fingers crossed, maybe I am in the running for a full scholarship when I thought I had no chance. Not trying to bash anyone.
Thoughts?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:
CaptainJack wrote:Just got the letter on my scholarship info. $137,520 as well as the research position the second two years. Although I'm surprised at the amount, I've seen in numerous times now. The stip of top 37.5% makes me think things could be ruthless among competing students as to not lose the money. Is there any knowledge of how many lose their scholarship?
see the first page, there is a little bit of talk about the top third stip in the intro that Type3 provided
Also - not to take anything away from Captain Jack, because full ride is awesome, but could Captain Jack's award be an indication that maybe full scholarships will go down a little further into the class this year? I ask because Capt. J's LSAT/GPA Formula score is 179.125, which would have been 3rd level Full Ride consideration in 2011, but appears to be auto full ride this year. Unless, we just aren't seeing many of the full scholarship awards on this thread.
Again, my purpose here is both fingers crossed, maybe I am in the running for a full scholarship when I thought I had no chance. Not trying to bash anyone.
Thoughts?
I hope so! I'm a 177.604.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Opie wrote:
Thoughts?
I am a 176.85, which would put me in the third group with the Captain Jack
I wonder if it is just the Formula, or if it is the formula with GPA or LSAT walls?
The only commonality I can pick out from past full scholarships is one number over the 75th

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Opie wrote:
Thoughts?
I am a 176.85, which would put me in the third group with the Captain Jack
I wonder if it is just the Formula, or if it is the formula with GPA or LSAT walls?
The only commonality I can pick out from past full scholarships is one number over the 75th
I hope to god this is correct. I have an above-75th LSAT, but I'm slightly below median in the GPA department.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Opie wrote:I hope to god this is correct. I have an above-75th LSAT, but I'm slightly below median in the GPA department.
I am also above 75th LSAT, but below 25th for last years GPA - I guess that makes me a splitter
I am hoping 2011's GPA numbers were anomalous, 2010 and 2009 I would be right at the 25th on GPA
We can hope, right?

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 pm

I can't lie, I clicked on this thread thinking it was the Iowa caucus thread :oops:

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 pm

thederangedwang wrote:I can't lie, I clicked on this thread thinking it was the Iowa caucus thread :oops:
Haha!! We can have a Chat 'n' Chew too if you want! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Opie wrote:I hope to god this is correct. I have an above-75th LSAT, but I'm slightly below median in the GPA department.
I am also above 75th LSAT, but below 25th for last years GPA - I guess that makes me a splitter
I am hoping 2011's GPA numbers were anomalous, 2010 and 2009 I would be right at the 25th on GPA
We can hope, right?
I'm only slightly below median, so I'm really hoping they'll basically view it as median. Did you write a GPA addendum?

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 am

Opie wrote:
We can hope, right?
I'm only slightly below median, so I'm really hoping they'll basically view it as median. Did you write a GPA addendum?
I had a 2.8 first year and ended up on Dean's List Junior year, but then I let it slip a little on the back stretch (senioritis). I didn't write an addendum. I did a Why Iowa as part of my PS. Y tu?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 am

Opie wrote:
We can hope, right?
I had a 2.8 first year and ended up on Dean's List Junior year, but then I let it slip a little on the back stretch (senioritis). I didn't write an addendum. I did a Why Iowa as part of my PS. Y tu?
No I didn't write one. My LSDAS GPA is 3.57, so I thought it would sound like I was making excuses. My GPA is basically due to classes I took while still in high school that I got mediocre grades in and two Ds I got in "real college". I didn't even address Why Iowa? :)

CaptainJack

New

Post by CaptainJack » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 am

Thoughts?
Don't worry about offending me. I was pretty shocked as well. That Iowa would give me that much more than Tulane (75k). But I also just got into UVA so this entire process is kind of throwing me for a loop.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 am

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:45 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:
No I didn't write one. My LSDAS GPA is 3.57, so I thought it would sound like I was making excuses. My GPA is basically due to classes I took while still in high school that I got mediocre grades in and two Ds I got in "real college". I didn't even address Why Iowa? :)
Ugh. I took 2 summer history courses at the same time (dumb) when I was 15. Nothing like starting your degree with a 2.5 :|
Ouch! At my HS you could get out of gym if you took 7 hours of academic classes so I loaded them on. I took comp I and II, western civ I and II, psych, and sociology all during the school year junior and senior years. I didn't do terribly bad, but I got Bs and Cs instead of the As and A-s I get now.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:
Ugh. I took 2 summer history courses at the same time (dumb) when I was 15. Nothing like starting your degree with a 2.5 :|
Ouch! At my HS you could get out of gym if you took 7 hours of academic classes so I loaded them on. I took comp I and II, western civ I and II, psych, and sociology all during the school year junior and senior years. I didn't do terribly bad, but I got Bs and Cs instead of the As and A-s I get now.
I think I wanted to be Val Kilmer in Real Genius, I was too busy trying to be the cool smart guy - idiot! It was ten years ago, so I am a little bit wiser. I think.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:
I think I wanted to be Val Kilmer in Real Genius, I was too busy trying to be the cool smart guy - idiot! It was ten years ago, so I am a little bit wiser. I think.
Haha! I'm a lot wiser now. Class of 2000. I literally was just trying to get out of gym and though free college credits were nice. Wouldn't have been a bad deal if I hadn't picked this career.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm

To any Iowa personnel reading this thread:
I will not, I repeat, I will not fill the dorm with foam, freeze the floors in the dorm for ice skating, or fill the Dean's home with popcorn.
If you need me to I can put this in an addendum.
Sincerely,
Flaps

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Flappy Scribbleneck wrote:To any Iowa personnel reading this thread:
I will not, I repeat, I will not fill the dorm with foam, freeze the floors in the dorm for ice skating, or fill the Dean's home with popcorn.
If you need me to I can put this in an addendum.
Sincerely,
Flaps
Nice. No promises on foam from me. :mrgreen:

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote: Haha! I'm a lot wiser now. Class of 2000. I literally was just trying to get out of gym and though free college credits were nice. Wouldn't have been a bad deal if I hadn't picked this career.
*fistbumpfortheoldpeopleclub*
also class of 2000, but I graduated early, so I'm not 30 :D
I'm not either!
For the next 18 days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flappy Scribbleneck

Bronze

Post by Flappy Scribbleneck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote: Haha! I'm a lot wiser now. Class of 2000. I literally was just trying to get out of gym and though free college credits were nice. Wouldn't have been a bad deal if I hadn't picked this career.
I'm not either!
For the next 18 days.
Whoa there! Did you guys graduate high school in 2000? I graduate college in 2000!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
I'm not either!
For the next 18 days.
Whoa there! Did you guys graduate high school in 2000? I graduate college in 2000!
Yep. HS.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:
I'm not either!
For the next 18 days.
Lol I haven't even graduated yet!

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”