IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jshyne

New

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:52 am

So I hear Iowa will begin to go to the waitlist tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 am

jshyne wrote:So I hear Iowa will begin to go to the waitlist tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
How did you hear that, exactly?

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

chrisbru wrote:
jshyne wrote:So I hear Iowa will begin to go to the waitlist tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
Hopefully contacted admissions...

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 pm

brotoss wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Hopefully contacted admissions...
Heard from the admission office.

brotoss

New

Post by brotoss » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Nice. You mean tomorrow as in today (7/11) right

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes. I believe it will be from 7/11 to 7/15.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:16 pm

jshyne wrote:Yes. I believe it will be from 7/11 to 7/15 whenever they have the class size they want for sure.
It's not like there's a window that opens. Once they go to the waitlist, they will bring in as many people as will come until they get too close to having medians drop.

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jshyne wrote:Yes. I believe it will be from 7/11 to 7/15 whenever they have the class size they want for sure.
It's not like there's a window that opens. Once they go to the waitlist, they will bring in as many people as will come until they get too close to having medians drop.
Right! During that time frame (7/11 - 7/15) they'll decide the size of the incoming class, and go to the list accordingly.

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

In other words, they'll determine the class size, and fill each seat till it's filled. I don't imagine that taking more than a day or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I did not hear anything today:-(

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:02 pm

jshyne wrote:In other words, they'll determine the class size, and fill each seat till it's filled. I don't imagine that taking more than a day or two.
That's not exactly how it works, though. They want to keep medians either consistent with, or a bit higher than, the previous class. So, assuming a median of 161 and 3.5ish, they can admit a 163/2.7 and a 155/3.8 without it affecting medians at all. So it's not so much setting the class size and filling it - it's the art of balance between who accepts waitlist offers and who doesn't. So they offer a couple people at a time, see who accepts, who doesn't, and how that balances, and then repeat the process. And if someone that had previously accepted a spot in the class jumps ship for a waitlist spot at a different school, then it changes things up again.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is don't assume that no offer by a week after 7/15 or something means you won't get one. They offered people spots all the way up to two days before orientation started last year.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 pm

^This.

Chris is right. Law school admissions is almost entirely a numbers game. In fact a lot of schools screen not with committees but merely software. :roll:

If you go to Iowa are from out of state and are paying sticker and do not have connections or employment waiting for you it's likely not worth the debt and opportunity cost. That's simple numbers.

The profession is going through a glut similar to what dentistry went through in the mid 80's. The problem is the ABA doesn't plan on closing law schools any time soon. IMHO the profession will switch away from the billable hour to commodity billing over the next 20-30 years.

Just remember that the billable hour only came about because the minimum fee was anti-competitive under the Sherman Act. While I don't contend that the billable hour will go away because it is anti-competitive, rather, it will be cast aside for commodity billing due to market forces.

jshyne

New

Post by jshyne » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:39 am

chrisbru wrote:
jshyne wrote:In other words, they'll determine the class size, and fill each seat till it's filled. I don't imagine that taking more than a day or two.
That's not exactly how it works, though. They want to keep medians either consistent with, or a bit higher than, the previous class. So, assuming a median of 161 and 3.5ish, they can admit a 163/2.7 and a 155/3.8 without it affecting medians at all. So it's not so much setting the class size and filling it - it's the art of balance between who accepts waitlist offers and who doesn't. So they offer a couple people at a time, see who accepts, who doesn't, and how that balances, and then repeat the process. And if someone that had previously accepted a spot in the class jumps ship for a waitlist spot at a different school, then it changes things up again.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is don't assume that no offer by a week after 7/15 or something means you won't get one. They offered people spots all the way up to two days before orientation started last year.
That's good info. Thanks! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Do you guys know what sections you're in yet? I have all my books from last year, and it looks like they are all being used again for at least some sections. Anyone want to buy them?

target

Silver

Post by target » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Damn, you are fast Chris. Although not sure if your books are the ones they need since most 1Ls books are 2012 edition.

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Hey I have one textbook everyone will need for orientation week: An Introduction to the Anglo-American Legal System...and I am selling it CHEAP! Email me if you are interested and I also have supplements for sale:

joshua-galgano@uiowa.edu

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:45 pm

target wrote:Damn, you are fast Chris. Although not sure if your books are the ones they need since most 1Ls books are 2012 edition.
Wait, people buy the latest version of books when they are told to? That's silly.

Guess to Amazon it is then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:53 am

Just got schedule:
MTW 8:00 AM Property Kurtz
MTW 11:10 AM Contracts Burton
MTW 12:40 PM Torts Bohannan
RF 11:00 AM Writing Sheerin
Anyone else on this track?

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

ilovehalusky wrote:Just got schedule:
sucks

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 am

skirschner1 wrote:
sucks
*QUICK NOTE - If you know your section number, it helps to tell people what section you are in. You will have all 4 classes plus your orientation class with the people in your section. You will likely have all three non-LAWR classes with your sister section (1 with 2, 3 with 4, etc.). The three non-LAWR classes will probably have one or two other section-pairings with you as well, but not always.*

I dunno man - I had the opposite schedule, and think I would have preferred this one. Done at 2:00 PM M-W, and only one hour of class from 11-noon on Thurs/Friday (a bunch of which get cancelled during the semester anyway.) Although, it really does frontload your reading since you have all three of your 4-credit classes Mon-Wed.

My thoughts on your professors (that I've had):

Burton - I really liked him, and think he really teaches the material well. He can get confusing at times but he's always helpful if you have questions. He may not be the most enthralling teacher, but he's interesting enough that it's not hard to pay attention... He's even funny from time to time. Final is difficult, but not too bad - I think it was 70 multiple choice questions (you get 2.5 hours) and one essay question (1.5 hours), weighted about 60% MC 40% essay for scoring. It will be open book, open notes, etc - anything except the internet you can bring in. I have a great outline for this class if you want it. This will be a big class, 60-80 people.

If you are a woman - forget everything I said about him, and expect to be ignored and/or berated.

Bohannan - I love Bohannan - she is very fair, and very kind, but she will make you feel like an asshole if you aren't prepared. Overall a very good teacher, and easy on the eyes. I did find her tests didn't treat me as well as other classes - her multiple choice is very tricky, and the issue-spotting essay is complicated. I had her for both Torts and Con Law I, and both semesters her tests were around 30 multiple choice questions and 1 essay with a 1500 word limit or so. You get 4 hours, but you can use the whole time as you see fit, not split like Burton's. It will be open book, open notes, etc - anything except the internet you can bring in. I have a great outline for this class if you want it.

Overall, I think you will enjoy both professors a lot.

skirschner1

New

Post by skirschner1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 am

chrisbru wrote:
skirschner1 wrote:
sucks
*QUICK NOTE - If you know your section number, it helps to tell people what section you are in. You will have all 4 classes plus your orientation class with the people in your section. You will likely have all three non-LAWR classes with your sister section (1 with 2, 3 with 4, etc.). The three non-LAWR classes will probably have one or two other section-pairings with you as well, but not always.*

I dunno man - I had the opposite schedule, and think I would have preferred this one. Done at 2:00 PM M-W, and only one hour of class from 11-noon on Thurs/Friday (a bunch of which get cancelled during the semester anyway.) Although, it really does frontload your reading since you have all three of your 4-credit classes Mon-Wed.

Burton - I really liked him, and think he really teaches the material well. He can get confusing at times but he's always helpful if you have questions. He may not be the most enthralling teacher, but he's interesting enough that it's not hard to pay attention... He's even funny from time to time. Final is difficult, but not too bad - I think it was 70 multiple choice questions (you get 2.5 hours) and one essay question (1.5 hours), weighted about 60% MC 40% essay for scoring. It will be open book, open notes, etc - anything except the internet you can bring in. I have a great outline for this class if you want it. This will be a big class, 60-80 people.

If you are a woman - forget everything I said about him, and expect to be ignored and/or berated.

Bohannan - I love Bohannan - she is very fair, and very kind, but she will make you feel like an asshole if you aren't prepared. Overall a very good teacher, and easy on the eyes. I did find her tests didn't treat me as well as other classes - her multiple choice is very tricky, and the issue-spotting essay is complicated. I had her for both Torts and Con Law I, and both semesters her tests were around 30 multiple choice questions and 1 essay with a 1500 word limit or so. You get 4 hours, but you can use the whole time as you see fit, not split like Burton's. It will be open book, open notes, etc - anything except the internet you can bring in. I have a great outline for this class if you want it.

Just kidding...I agree with Chris. I had all of these profs and liked them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:00 pm

chrisbru wrote:
skirschner1 wrote:
sucks

I had Kurtz and Sheerin:

Kurtz: This guy has been teaching at Iowa since before I was born...which is a long time. As a result, although still engaging and a great professor, I got the feeling he was quite bored at times. The man knows his stuff and expects you to know it as well. He can also be quite hilarious. The final is abour 70+ MC questions, with about 50-60% coming from his "Greenbook"; a 300 page hornbook expect to read at least 3 times. This is in addition to his textbook. You will come away knowing everything there is to know about future interests.

Sheerin: Very fun and as Chris would say, nice on the eyes. Also a fair professor who makes the class engaging and enjoyable. However, if you are looking for substantive feedback on your memo, you will be frustrated. Welcome to the world of the law school curve. Sheerin is serious when it comes to not giving anyone an edge to include letting you know what cases are right or wrong or what legal point is correct, until it is graded. Thing is everyone in your class will be in the same boat and like I said she is fair.

Good Luck

FYI, I do have another hornbook I can sell for Kurtz that has some pretty good explanations and practice questions. Also, his MC examples he has on Westlaw...know them. There were a couple that ended up verbatim on the final.

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Almost exact schedule I had last semester. Be careful with T and W. You will have 25-35 pages to prepare for each class and the last thing you want to do is read 105 pages for the next day (while finishing your legal memo)! :)

ilovehalusky

New

Post by ilovehalusky » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm

jgalgano wrote:
Almost exact schedule I had last semester. Be careful with T and W. You will have 25-35 pages to prepare for each class and the last thing you want to do is read 105 pages for the next day (while finishing your legal memo)! :)
Thanks guys, I am hoping that it will all go well. I would definitely be interested in all outlines since I plan to live at the law building haha.

jgalgano

New

Post by jgalgano » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:23 pm

ilovehalusky wrote:
jgalgano wrote:
Thanks guys, I am hoping that it will all go well. I would definitely be interested in all outlines since I plan to live at the law building haha.
Halusky? Are you from Pittsburgh?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”