IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cedarseoul

New

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by cedarseoul » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 pm

ionoiforgot wrote::) In! It's 4:50 AM so I think it's not really sinking totally in yet. (I'm in Korea.)

It'll be a tragedy I can't make it to Iowa most likely for ASW cause I'm stuck in Korea till June... but definitely going to spend hours and more hours pouring over information about Iowa.
I'm also in Korea, ionoiforgot...

And to others...I also got the OOS tuition / RA offer, but I'm very skeptical about a 37.5% stipulation. I also have full tuition at Michigan State, with a more reasonable top 50%ish. MSU may not rank as highly, but I'd hate to attend anywhere and end up paying sticker for 2L+...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 pm

cedarseoul wrote:
ionoiforgot wrote::) In! It's 4:50 AM so I think it's not really sinking totally in yet. (I'm in Korea.)

It'll be a tragedy I can't make it to Iowa most likely for ASW cause I'm stuck in Korea till June... but definitely going to spend hours and more hours pouring over information about Iowa.
I'm also in Korea, ionoiforgot...

And to others...I also got the OOS tuition / RA offer, but I'm very skeptical about a 37.5% stipulation. I also have full tuition at Michigan State, with a more reasonable top 50%ish. MSU may not rank as highly, but I'd hate to attend anywhere and end up paying sticker for 2L+...
Sticker at Iowa is less than most places at 50%. IIRC, you can get in state with that RA job.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Englander742 wrote:I just received a scholarship by e-mail! $137,520, out of state + Research Assistant offer. Comes with stips of top 37.5% Any word on being able to get those stips removed?
Stips are not negotiable, as far as I know. Although if you have another full ride from a peer school, you might as well try.

I second what Opie said... OOS can get an RA position, and therefore pay in-state tuition which is like 24. Top 37.5% vs top 50% really isn't a big difference.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:26 pm

<== This guy over here? He's starting to think he's the only one who didn't get a note. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:19 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:<== This guy over here? He's starting to think he's the only one who didn't get a note. :?
Aww, Opie. It was just a little P.S. at the bottom about a course I'll enjoy. (A nice touch considering some other deans don't hand sign acceptances.)
I'm only kidding. I'm very happy to have even been accepted.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:So, who is planning on attending ASW? The hubs and I looked at plane tickets today, and it looks like I'll have to go solo. $$$
I'll be there unless Drake knocks my socks off before then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickjive

Bronze

Post by nickjive » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:04 am

Opie wrote:
apeopleshistory wrote:So, who is planning on attending ASW? The hubs and I looked at plane tickets today, and it looks like I'll have to go solo. $$$
I'll be there unless Drake knocks my socks off before then.
Will be there with bells on!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am

Where are you coming from? Megabus goes to Iowa City and it's CHEAP. Also, it's not like Greyhound. The busses are nice, there's wifi and power outlets, and they have decent bathrooms.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Got my scholarship information today via email! It looks like it is for full tuition. I was awarded a $74,046 merit scholarship over three years (with a top 37.5 stipulation), totaling $24,682 a year.

Very excited!

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:16 pm

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Nice! So it's Iowa for free with no housing cost (other that utilities) OR Drake for free and they pay you $10k a year.

Any thoughts on what you'll do?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:47 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
Opie wrote:
Where are you coming from? Megabus goes to Iowa City and it's CHEAP. Also, it's not like Greyhound. The busses are nice, there's wifi and power outlets, and they have decent bathrooms.
Bus won't work. I'm oh, 21ish hours away :lol:
Nonsense! I took greyhound from Iowa to FL and it only took 43 hours. NBD :)
I DID have to spend the night in East St Louis though.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Opie wrote:Nice! So it's Iowa for free with no housing cost (other that utilities) OR Drake for free and they pay you $10k a year.

Essentially. I really have no idea though. It's a great dilemma to have, but it'll be a hard choice. I've always loved Drake and thought I'd do well there, but I really need to go visit both schools more seriously and meet with people. It will also depend on where my girlfriend (who is graduating with her teaching license in May) can get a job. She has offers in Cedar Falls already, but that is pretty well in the middle of the two lol.

I think I know the response this question will get, but is it crazy to assume top third at Drake would be easier to maintain than top third at Iowa? I realize that worse school =/= easier to be top of class, but isn't it safe to assume that the competition at a school like Drake is less stiff considering their admissions requirements?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
I think I know the response this question will get, but is it crazy to assume top third at Drake would be easier to maintain than top third at Iowa? I realize that worse school =/= easier to be top of class, but isn't it safe to assume that the competition at a school like Drake is less stiff considering their admissions requirements?
Let's all take a moment to feel sorry for shredder and his difficult decision :lol:
Haha!! Well-played. I've spent a lot of time at Drake, and I do think the competition is easier. I think in your shoes I'd probably take Iowa though because IF you lose the scholarship, it's way cheaper at Iowa.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Opie wrote:Nice! So it's Iowa for free with no housing cost (other that utilities) OR Drake for free and they pay you $10k a year.

Essentially. I really have no idea though. It's a great dilemma to have, but it'll be a hard choice. I've always loved Drake and thought I'd do well there, but I really need to go visit both schools more seriously and meet with people. It will also depend on where my girlfriend (who is graduating with her teaching license in May) can get a job. She has offers in Cedar Falls already, but that is pretty well in the middle of the two lol.

So your drake schollie has a top-third stip?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:00 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That was my assumption based in the standard features of that schollie, but I've never heard of anyone not having the stip.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Opie wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

That was my assumption based in the standard features of that schollie, but I've never heard of anyone not having the stip.
Yeah both scholarships have a top third stipulation. My Drake offer, however, has an interesting setup as far as stipulations go (my Iowa one may as well, but I have yet to receive the full information). In order to retain the Drake scholarship and stipend, I only need to be in the top third for one of the two semesters my first year. If I fail to do this, I can still receive the full scholarship minus the stipend if I was top 35% one of the two semesters. If I fail to do this, I get a 50% scholarship so long as I was top half in one of the two semesters.

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm going to be in review for an eternity. This is my purgatory.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:31 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Yeah both scholarships have a top third stipulation. My Drake offer, however, has an interesting setup as far as stipulations go (my Iowa one may as well, but I have yet to receive the full information). In order to retain the Drake scholarship and stipend, I only need to be in the top third for one of the two semesters my first year. If I fail to do this, I can still receive the full scholarship minus the stipend if I was top 35% one of the two semesters. If I fail to do this, I get a 50% scholarship so long as I was top half in one of the two semesters.
All in all, you have a MUCH lower chance of losing the Drake scholarship. It's tempting if you want to stay in Des Moines.

jbabs

New

Post by jbabs » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
Yeah both scholarships have a top third stipulation. My Drake offer, however, has an interesting setup as far as stipulations go (my Iowa one may as well, but I have yet to receive the full information). In order to retain the Drake scholarship and stipend, I only need to be in the top third for one of the two semesters my first year. If I fail to do this, I can still receive the full scholarship minus the stipend if I was top 35% one of the two semesters. If I fail to do this, I get a 50% scholarship so long as I was top half in one of the two semesters.
Say what you will about Drake vs. Iowa, but Drake's scholly sounds like a solid offer. Guaranteed money (more or less) goes a long way in my mind; Iowa's top 1/3 stipulation does make me a tad leery of their $$$.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”