IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hawkeye22

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by hawkeye22 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Opie wrote:Anybody know how many Des Moines firms come to OCI? I realize there are only a few firms in Des Moines that will even be HIRING, but just curious about people's experience.
Four, I believe. Iowa firms frequently show up, but their SA classes are very small.

sebastian0622

Bronze

Post by sebastian0622 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
Opie wrote:Anybody know how many Des Moines firms come to OCI? I realize there are only a few firms in Des Moines that will even be HIRING, but just curious about people's experience.
Four, I believe. Iowa firms frequently show up, but their SA classes are very small.
I thought it was more than four this year. The problem is that most of them only hire one SA. I know Dickinson Mackaman and Faegre each just hired one this year (Faegre hired more for MN, but just one for DSM). So if there are 4-6 Des Moines firms at OCI, you're looking at fewer than 10 SA spots.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
I thought it was more than four this year. The problem is that most of them only hire one SA. I know Dickinson Mackaman and Faegre each just hired one this year (Faegre hired more for MN, but just one for DSM). So if there are 4-6 Des Moines firms at OCI, you're looking at fewer than 10 SA spots.
That's way helpful. I know a couple of people at Dickinson and some other firms around town, but they're not involved in hiring at all. I have strong ties to Des Moines though, so if I do well (and I know that's a giant if) I think I can get a Des Moines spot. I also interview well and have a lot of business connections around town.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:30 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
This will probably sound stupid, but what does SA stand for? I'm terrible with acronyms.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:36 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:
This will probably sound stupid, but what does SA stand for? I'm terrible with acronyms.
SA is summer associate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 pm

SA is summer associate
Ok thanks. I kept reading it as senior associate...hence leaving me quite confused.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Anyone know when we can expect to hear scholarship info from Iowa? Colins Byrd told me this summer they would like to have some out December 15th for a "Christmas-celebratory mood". Today I received a Drake full ride, in addition to full at both Nebraska yesterday and Creighton last week. Other acceptances in the young cycle include W&L, tOSU and Iowa. W&L sends out the first scholarship batch on Monday, and OSU said January.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm

DportIA wrote:Anyone know when we can expect to hear scholarship info from Iowa? Colins Byrd told me this summer they would like to have some out December 15th for a "Christmas-celebratory mood". Today I received a Drake full ride, in addition to full at both Nebraska yesterday and Creighton last week. Other acceptances in the young cycle include W&L, tOSU and Iowa. W&L sends out the first scholarship batch on Monday, and OSU said January.
It all depends on where you fall in the scholarship hierarchy. You may find out before Christmas, or it may not be until Feb or March.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
DportIA wrote:Anyone know when we can expect to hear scholarship info from Iowa? Colins Byrd told me this summer they would like to have some out December 15th for a "Christmas-celebratory mood". Today I received a Drake full ride, in addition to full at both Nebraska yesterday and Creighton last week. Other acceptances in the young cycle include W&L, tOSU and Iowa. W&L sends out the first scholarship batch on Monday, and OSU said January.
It all depends on where you fall in the scholarship hierarchy. You may find out before Christmas, or it may not be until Feb or March.
Do they pretty much send the scholarships to those with the best numbers first?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Do they pretty much send the scholarships to those with the best numbers first?
That's what it sounds like to me, then they send additional scholarships later to influence their numbers and residency quota.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 pm

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck on their finals. I know some are done already and there are probably more to come.

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 am

New week, new batch of acceptances?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 am

My date changed on Friday but it still says in review, I don't think that's good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

auburnbelle89

New

Post by auburnbelle89 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 am

neeko wrote:My date changed on Friday but it still says in review, I don't think that's good.
neeko wrote: Not necessarily. Mine changed review dates the day before I was admitted.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:06 am

Oh hai gaiz.

A little less than 4 hours before final #2, property. Anyone have questions about how finals work or anything while it's still fresh in our jumbled 1L minds?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 am

chrisbru wrote:Oh hai gaiz.

A little less than 4 hours before final #2, property. Anyone have questions about how finals work or anything while it's still fresh in our jumbled 1L minds?
If you want to procrastinate and give the rundown, I'd love to read it. I often wonder about the mechanics of course selection, finals, OCI, etc.; as well as how you find out how to do all of this.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 am

auburnbelle89 wrote:
neeko wrote:My date changed on Friday but it still says in review, I don't think that's good.
neeko wrote: Not necessarily. Mine changed review dates the day before I was admitted.
Really? You give me some hope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:18 am

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Oh hai gaiz.

If you want to procrastinate and give the rundown, I'd love to read it. I often wonder about the mechanics of course selection, finals, OCI, etc.; as well as how you find out how to do all of this.
I'll start with finals. Basically

*The exam calendar gets posted sometime mid-semester
*All 1L finals are taken at the same time, same day, by everyone (except second semester elective)
*Each prof typically writes their own final, and the curve is within your section, not the whole 1L class
*This year we had Torts on Wed Dec. 7th at 1pm, Property today at 1pm, and Contracts on Friday at 1pm.
*What's nice about this is you have 3 or 4 days between finals to prepare.
*Finals are 2.5-3.5 hours long, depending on the teacher, and can be made up of essay, short answer, multiple choice or (most likely) a combo of two or three of those
*One contracts prof is giving a take home final this semester, but that's only 2 out of 10 sections.

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:32 am

@Neeko when did you go in review?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 am

brupe wrote:@Neeko when did you go in review?
I cant remember the first date I had there, but it was the week before last.

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:37 am

Me tooo. I hope we hear this week

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 am

brupe wrote:Me tooo. I hope we hear this week
Me too. There was a waitlist posted on LSN, so it looks like we missed the boat today. Did your date change on Friday?

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:52 am

Nope, mine still says in review 9/30. I hope I missed the Waitlist boat (I was waitlist for 7 months last year) but I pray to God I'm not in the first round denial boat.

apeopleshistory

Bronze

Post by apeopleshistory » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by apeopleshistory on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 pm

apeopleshistory wrote:IN!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

eta: neeko-my date changed today! Go check your status!!!
Congrats! ~fingers crossed for Neeko and the others~

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”