Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gavinstevens
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby gavinstevens » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Real Madrid wrote:The ironic thing is that they're trying so hard to boost those medians up significantly (and thus stay in the T14) that they're going to end up torpedoing their yield rate (another factor in USNWR rankings) because most people they've accepted will be matriculating at better schools.


+3

Rdubs
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby Rdubs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Held via email at 5 AM = / Also, I'm new to all of this.... what does "oos" mean?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Rdubs wrote:Held via email at 5 AM = / Also, I'm new to all of this.... what does "oos" mean?



Out of state.






I'm still trying to figure Texas out. 3.5, 168, in state, held. The way they're going I'm thinking I'm getting rejected in April.

User avatar
eaper
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby eaper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:06 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I'm still trying to figure Texas out. 3.5, 168, in state, held. The way they're going I'm thinking I'm getting rejected in April.


Have hope. My numbers were only a touch higher than yours and I still got in. You can do it as well!

advocate1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby advocate1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:07 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Rdubs wrote:Held via email at 5 AM = / Also, I'm new to all of this.... what does "oos" mean?



Out of state.






I'm still trying to figure Texas out. 3.5, 168, in state, held. The way they're going I'm thinking I'm getting rejected in April.



I'm the same except a 3.6. I wasn't held this morning and feel like a rejection is coming Thursday or Friday morning.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:08 pm

eaper wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I'm still trying to figure Texas out. 3.5, 168, in state, held. The way they're going I'm thinking I'm getting rejected in April.



Have hope. My numbers were only a touch higher than yours and I still got in. You can do it as well!


Were you IS or OOS?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby iamrobk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Rdubs wrote:Held via email at 5 AM = / Also, I'm new to all of this.... what does "oos" mean?



Out of state.






I'm still trying to figure Texas out. 3.5, 168, in state, held. The way they're going I'm thinking I'm getting rejected in April.

Could just be because they have no idea what their matriculation rates will be, so they're holding a lot of people to see if they can be as selective as they apparently want to be.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:29 pm

I would be optimistic if I got held/waitlisted. It seems like they're getting really aggressive with their medians, trying to pass or stay tied with Georgetown. If you look at who has been accepted/rejected, it looks more like Duke, Michigan, UVA maybe, etc. As others have said this may lead to them having poor matriculation and thus letting a lot of people in off the waitlist.

Who knows though, Texas is a great school on the way up. Best of luck to everyone.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:I would be optimistic if I got held/waitlisted. It seems like they're getting really aggressive with their medians, trying to pass or stay tied with Georgetown. If you look at who has been accepted/rejected, it looks more like Duke, Michigan, UVA maybe, etc. As others have said this may lead to them having poor matriculation and thus letting a lot of people in off the waitlist.

Who knows though, Texas is a great school on the way up. Best of luck to everyone.


They might catch up to Cornell, but there's no way their median LSAT is gonna go up 3 points (i.e. to match Georgetown) in one cycle, despite what they may think.

bobbyh1919
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:I would be optimistic if I got held/waitlisted. It seems like they're getting really aggressive with their medians, trying to pass or stay tied with Georgetown. If you look at who has been accepted/rejected, it looks more like Duke, Michigan, UVA maybe, etc. As others have said this may lead to them having poor matriculation and thus letting a lot of people in off the waitlist.

Who knows though, Texas is a great school on the way up. Best of luck to everyone.


They might catch up to Cornell, but there's no way their median LSAT is gonna go up 3 points (i.e. to match Georgetown) in one cycle, despite what they may think.


Right now they're tied with Georgetown for overall ranking (I forget what value they each had). They won't catch these other schools in medians in one cycle, but the fact that they can be tied with GTown and have much lower medians means that they're perceived to be stronger in the other factors that go into the overall ranking.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby paul34 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:36 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:39 pm

paul34 wrote:Rejected via early morning e-mail. I guess my GPA wasn't cool enough for the club. :(

Good luck to everyone else.

what were your numbers again (IIRC they were similar to mine is why I'm asking lol)

ucbkenn
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby ucbkenn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Sorry TLS. I'm not equipped with all the lingo. What does "in for ASW" mean?

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:46 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Sorry TLS. I'm not equipped with all the lingo. What does "in for ASW" mean?

Admitted students weekend

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby paul34 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 pm

.
Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Magnifique1908
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby Magnifique1908 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 pm

chem wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Cincinnati people? Ran here.


Most people I talk to when I lived in Cincinnati would talk about Texas like it was the promised land.

Going to split our new found community by throwing out subjective opinions
Skyline>Goldstar
Larosas> All other pizza
Graeters> all other ice cream


No other ice cream exists..... :lol:

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:00 pm

I dunno I don't think UT is going solely on numbers. I'm OOS and a non URM and ppl with way higher numbers than me were rejected but I was accepted... there has to be other factors

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I dunno I don't think UT is going solely on numbers. I'm OOS and a non URM and ppl with way higher numbers than me were rejected but I was accepted... there has to be other factors


Ok this is going to sound braggy and awful but if other factors are being considered, Texas why you no want an in-state Hispanic tfa? :(

User avatar
butchcassidy
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby butchcassidy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I dunno I don't think UT is going solely on numbers. I'm OOS and a non URM and ppl with way higher numbers than me were rejected but I was accepted... there has to be other factors


Ok this is going to sound braggy and awful but if other factors are being considered, Texas why you no want an in-state Hispanic tfa? :(


why you talking like you got rejected? you'll get in

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Yes you will Scarlet!

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:18 pm

butchcassidy wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I dunno I don't think UT is going solely on numbers. I'm OOS and a non URM and ppl with way higher numbers than me were rejected but I was accepted... there has to be other factors


Ok this is going to sound braggy and awful but if other factors are being considered, Texas why you no want an in-state Hispanic tfa? :(


why you talking like you got rejected? you'll get in


Thanks :-/ I'm just being a grumpy bear.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 pm

What sucks for us and what we have to consider... there is the human element.

Different people reviewed by different adcomms, adcomms in different moods, etc...

Obviously not usually a huge factor, but I can pretty much guarantee if a ls was given the exact same applicants on back to back years there would be a couple people who would have a different decision because of these factors

User avatar
6thbackstreetboy
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby 6thbackstreetboy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Just got a call from UT. I couldn't answer it because I'm in class. They left a voicemail though. I can't check for another hour and I really want to see what they said. Does this mean I may be in, or do they call to reject and WL you too?

User avatar
butchcassidy
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby butchcassidy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:26 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:Just got a call from UT. I couldn't answer it because I'm in class. They left a voicemail though. I can't check for another hour and I really want to see what they said. Does this mean I may be in, or do they call to reject and WL you too?


think this means your in. also, bathroom break? jesus i couldn't wait

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:30 pm

butchcassidy wrote:
6thbackstreetboy wrote:Just got a call from UT. I couldn't answer it because I'm in class. They left a voicemail though. I can't check for another hour and I really want to see what they said. Does this mean I may be in, or do they call to reject and WL you too?


think this means your in. also, bathroom break? jesus i couldn't wait

Yea, this definitely sounds like a time in which you have to go to the "Restroom"




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, Chipotle85, Christinabruin, JazzyMac, Long shot hero, PDX4343, ProductofUnreality, Rich Uncle Skeleton and 11 guests