Texas 2011-2012 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eaper

Silver

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Post by eaper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm

imadude wrote:
PigBodine wrote:I just talked with the financial aid office, and they were able to tell me the exact gpa/lsat cutoff point at which they start offering scholarships. I assumed that it wasn't a holistic, 'he seems like a 78k kind of guy' sort of thing, but I was surprised that, number one, there's no leeway (3.59/180 gets no-offered), and number two, that they were so open about where it is. It's 3.6/168 for non-URMs, by the way.
So if you have a 167 does that mean you'll never get a dime, even after negotiation? Im 3.8 Gpa so that limit seems super arbitrary, and kind of unfair. Oh well.
Hmm, well, I think texas is known to negotiate some, but I don't know if this cut off applies to this.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

imadude wrote:
PigBodine wrote:I just talked with the financial aid office, and they were able to tell me the exact gpa/lsat cutoff point at which they start offering scholarships. I assumed that it wasn't a holistic, 'he seems like a 78k kind of guy' sort of thing, but I was surprised that, number one, there's no leeway (3.59/180 gets no-offered), and number two, that they were so open about where it is. It's 3.6/168 for non-URMs, by the way.
So if you have a 167 does that mean you'll never get a dime, even after negotiation? Im 3.8 Gpa so that limit seems super arbitrary, and kind of unfair. Oh well.
That's what they told me, but it might be a good idea to take it with a grain of salt. A lot of schools, when you request a fee waiver, will say that they don't give merit-based fee waivers out, period. Except that a lot of times, these schools do. They just give them to stronger candidates. So maybe it's just a starting point in that they're obligated to give you a scholarship if you meet that requirement, unless they happen to like your face. Or that's the brightline for the standard, merit-based aid, but they have separate funds that they give out for 'leadership,' or something, like Michigan.

Bottom line, though, I'd be expecting to get something if you're 3.6/168, and expecting sticker if you're not.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm

eaper wrote:
imadude wrote:
Hmm, well, I think texas is known to negotiate some, but I don't know if this cut off applies to this.
They'll consider meeting scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools, but I think they're mostly going to play hardball otherwise. They didn't seem the slightest bit interested that I couldn't possibly take UT at sticker over NYU or Columbia, even though I'm a Texas resident and UT undergrad. I get the feeling that they have strict guidelines for exactly what kind of scholarships they're allowed to offer, and the type of numbers they're allowed to offer them to.

Elric

Bronze

Post by Elric » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Missed the phone call!! Didn't check my voicemail until now, but hey! I'm in!! :D

Good luck to everyone on the Wait List and those still waiting to hear back.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 am

PigBodine wrote:
eaper wrote:
imadude wrote:
They'll consider meeting scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools, but I think they're mostly going to play hardball otherwise. They didn't seem the slightest bit interested that I couldn't possibly take UT at sticker over NYU or Columbia, even though I'm a Texas resident and UT undergrad. I get the feeling that they have strict guidelines for exactly what kind of scholarships they're allowed to offer, and the type of numbers they're allowed to offer them to.
Found someone on LSN who might beg to differ... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jennic

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:47 am

Greenandgold wrote: Found someone on LSN who might beg to differ... http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jennic
That just looks like they made up the difference between IS and OOS, which, I think, gets done differently than pure merit aid. Again, though, I'm just repeating what I heard. I already suggested a lot of reasons why you might want to take it with a grian of salt.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you. Seeing as how that was the only person on LSN who didn't fit within those cutoffs it seems like you're right. It's just frustrating because with a good scholarship I would have been very likely to choose to go to UT, but I don't see how I can justify it at sticker, being in at a T6 already.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Just got rejected on a Saturday morning that's kind of low, but at least I can happily carry on my personal vendetta against UT.

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Greenandgold wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I didn't believe you. Seeing as how that was the only person on LSN who didn't fit within those cutoffs it seems like you're right. It's just frustrating because with a good scholarship I would have been very likely to choose to go to UT, but I don't see how I can justify it at sticker, being in at a T6 already.
Haha, right on. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong. If anyone gets anything outside that zone, I'll definitely be the first one to congratulate them 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 pm

PigBodine wrote:
imadude wrote:
That's what they told me, but it might be a good idea to take it with a grain of salt. A lot of schools, when you request a fee waiver, will say that they don't give merit-based fee waivers out, period. Except that a lot of times, these schools do. They just give them to stronger candidates. So maybe it's just a starting point in that they're obligated to give you a scholarship if you meet that requirement, unless they happen to like your face. Or that's the brightline for the standard, merit-based aid, but they have separate funds that they give out for 'leadership,' or something, like Michigan.

Bottom line, though, I'd be expecting to get something if you're 3.6/168, and expecting sticker if you're not.
I'm 168, 3.8 and only got 21k... At least it is something, but I would prefer more

ASAP

New

Post by ASAP » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
imadude wrote:

I'm 168, 3.8 and only got 21k... At least it is something, but I would prefer more
I think everyone would prefer more no matter what they got...

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm

ASAP wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
imadude wrote: So if you have a 167 does that mean you'll never get a dime, even after negotiation? Im 3.8 Gpa so that limit seems super arbitrary, and kind of unfair. Oh well.

I think everyone would prefer more no matter what they got...
lolol +1

tadlbb

Bronze

Post by tadlbb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:00 pm

Dinged. The 2 AM email on a Sunday wasn't desirable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Anyone looking for a place to live yet? I have a rental property that currently has law students in it, very nice. New real hardwood floors, landscaped back yard with a pool and large decks, and brand new high-end appliances. I could put you in touch with the current tenants if you'd like to talk about commute times. I used to live there and I worked downtown, which was another two miles on the drive, and I could get from my garage to work in 12-15 minutes. Can be shorter depending on the traffic, and there is also a bus route nearby the house that takes you very close to the law school..

House has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. I'm hoping to move the rent up just slightly to $2100 or $2200 for the whole place. It's still a really great price for what you get-- the renovations on the home that were completed 8 months ago ran around 30k. Maybe something like $800 for the large master w/bath, and $700 for the other two rooms. House is near the Dell Children's Hospital/new businesses in that area for Austinites wanting to get a feel for the location. Please PM me and I'll email you with pics, other details, and answer any questions you might have.

I'll be back in Austin to show the house from March 24th-28th. If it doesn't rent I can arrange showings up through early May.

Thanks.

cch24

Bronze

Post by cch24 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Got a nice call from a 2L today. He had some pretty impressive summer jobs lined up and he's out of state like me so that was comforting. Going to visit in a couple weeks because I can't make ASW. Excited!

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Has anyone received word of a travel scholarship/stipend yet?

Robst

New

Post by Robst » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Waitlisted today via email.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ucbkenn

Bronze

Post by ucbkenn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Accepted today. I was shocked... but really excited!

kingofspain

New

Post by kingofspain » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Just got a call, and "a scholarship offer will be arriving next week"! Yesssssss

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 pm

kingofspain wrote:Just got a call, and "a scholarship offer will be arriving next week"! Yesssssss
Grats!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:Has anyone received word of a travel scholarship/stipend yet?
No, but I would like to have one in order to attend ASW. Would this question be best directed towards fin aid?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Magnifique1908 wrote:Has anyone received word of a travel scholarship/stipend yet?
No, but I would like to have one in order to attend ASW. Would this question be best directed towards fin aid?
Dean Ingram posted about it on FB and said individual students would be notified. Maybe ask admissions when they plan to start notifications?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Also, is UCLA a peer school to UT?

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Also, is UCLA a peer school to UT?
I would think so. I would also throw GTown and Vandy in as peer schools. But dats just me

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 pm

eaper wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:Also, is UCLA a peer school to UT?
I would think so. I would also throw GTown and Vandy in as peer schools. But dats just me
I know that UT will "match" peer school merit offers so I am currently seeing how much I can squeeze out of its peers

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”