Texas 2011-2012 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
T00L

Silver

Re: Texas 2011-2012 Applicants

Post by T00L » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:29 am

ASAP wrote:What do we need to do after we pay a deposit?

I know we need face picture and letter of intent but that's done in the summer right?
Correct. Or you can just do it now if you don't want to think bout it then

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Deposit paid :wink:

MissJewsbury

New

Post by MissJewsbury » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Deposit done!!!!!!!! I couldn't wait another day after that stern email warning...

I still can't believe I'm going to be a Longhorn!

eaper

Silver

Post by eaper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:Deposit paid :wink:

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:37 pm

In general, what are you guys doing for housing? Neighborhood? On-campus or off-campus? Anyone know of some nice apartment complexes that are walking distance?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomorrowperson

New

Post by tomorrowperson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:In general, what are you guys doing for housing? Neighborhood? On-campus or off-campus? Anyone know of some nice apartment complexes that are walking distance?
Off-campus apartment in Far West and taking the UT shuttle every day. I've heard of popular apartments/neighborhoods north of campus that are in walking distance but I don't know much about them.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:52 pm

UT Law T Shirt bought today. Nice and burnt orange. What's more official than that?

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:29 am

Deposit in.

I've been having serious cold-feet about law school lately. But today, right now, I feel kind of good about it... I am excited to be in lovely Austin soon.

In terms of housing: I don't get back to the US until mid-June and will be traveling again in the States until mid-July so probably won't be able to look for apartments until then, ugh!

Hopefully there still some good stuff left in mid-July (and then hopefully some of those places allow German Shepherds?!)?

kcf2012

New

Post by kcf2012 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 am

Angrygeopolitically wrote:In general, what are you guys doing for housing? Neighborhood? On-campus or off-campus? Anyone know of some nice apartment complexes that are walking distance?
Absolutely do not waste your time even thinking about living on-campus for a second. UT doesn't even have enough housing for undergraduate freshmen--they threw some people in converted trash rooms or study rooms. Plus, it breaks down to several hundred dollars more to what you could be doing while living off campus with no rules like a proper grown person. If you're looking to live by yourself, you probably won't find anything within walking distance less than $900-$1000... but if you find 1 or 2 people to live with, there are thousands upon thousands of apartments for $700 or less, depending on what you're looking for. West Campus is mostly undergrad/frats/sororities/party/luxury apartments, but the biggest bang for your buck in terms of amenities and distance. You can get some stuff along Dean Keeton and Red River, but they're all pretty old. Going to Far West, East Austin/Manor, North Campus/Hyde Park or Enfield Rd. may be your best bet (or even places like The Triangle, The Domain, PostWest, etc... that have the big luxury apt. feel). Those are all definitely located on UT shuttles, but driving would take less than 5-10 mins each day and UT sells parking garage passes for a lot cheaper if you only want them during the daytime hours for school, plus biking is easily done. There are dozens of realty companies around here, so if you do a quick search you'll be able to find a good idea of what you're looking at. If you want any more specific advice, I'm an undergrad here now and have lived here for the whole 4 year (now looking for the next 3) so feel free to message me!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EKR11

New

Post by EKR11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree with pretty much everything kcf2012 said. More specifically, however, I recently went back to Austin to do some apartment hunting and got a better idea of what my options are. I visited the Venue on Guadalupe and The Circle West (still under construction) and those are 2 of which I am considering. The Circle is on the edge of west campus so it makes it a little more livable for a law student not wanting a bunch of distractions. Also, The Venue is suppose to have a decent amount of graduate students compared to some of the surrounding apartment complexes so I imagine it's not too bad either. I also visited The Triangle (North Campus/Hyde Park), The Gables ((North Campus/Hyde Park), and Mosaic at Mueller. I loved all three, although Mueller seems a bit further than it is simply because its going toward Airport. Lastly, I made a few quick stops around the Far West area and found nothing. If you're looking for something with a bit more of a luxury feel you may not find much Far West.

Kcf2012 mentioned this, but because law school is expensive enough I want to emphasize that if you're looking to stay in West Campus or North Campus/Hyde Park be prepared to pay at least $1,200 for a 1bedroom or or find a roommate to lower the cost (approx. $800) in a 2x2 or 2x1.

Are you guys considering living alone or with roommates? Right now I'm torn on the issue. Although I recently graduated from UT for undergrad I'm not sure if living with friends who are completing their B.S. will be the best plan.

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Dear UT,

I'm coming. I got shots in the arm. I'm emailing you the paperwork today. Please lay off on the "urgent" Meningitis reminders. It's not even due until like August anyway.

Thanks,

T

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 pm

EKR11 wrote:
I agree with pretty much everything kcf2012 said. More specifically, however, I recently went back to Austin to do some apartment hunting and got a better idea of what my options are. I visited the Venue on Guadalupe and The Circle West (still under construction) and those are 2 of which I am considering. The Circle is on the edge of west campus so it makes it a little more livable for a law student not wanting a bunch of distractions. Also, The Venue is suppose to have a decent amount of graduate students compared to some of the surrounding apartment complexes so I imagine it's not too bad either. I also visited The Triangle (North Campus/Hyde Park), The Gables ((North Campus/Hyde Park), and Mosaic at Mueller. I loved all three, although Mueller seems a bit further than it is simply because its going toward Airport. Lastly, I made a few quick stops around the Far West area and found nothing. If you're looking for something with a bit more of a luxury feel you may not find much Far West.

Kcf2012 mentioned this, but because law school is expensive enough I want to emphasize that if you're looking to stay in West Campus or North Campus/Hyde Park be prepared to pay at least $1,200 for a 1bedroom or or find a roommate to lower the cost (approx. $800) in a 2x2 or 2x1.

Are you guys considering living alone or with roommates? Right now I'm torn on the issue. Although I recently graduated from UT for undergrad I'm not sure if living with friends who are completing their B.S. will be the best plan.
I went to UT for undergrad and didnt pay over 700/month in both Hyde Park and West Campus. You need to get on it now though. Also, be aware that West Campus is fratdaddy central and can get incredibly loud at times. In general, unless you are in one of the high rises on west campus, the apartments are pretty crappy and massively overpriced and if you are paying $800 you got hosed.

droctii

New

Post by droctii » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm IN!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Angrygeopolitically

Bronze

Post by Angrygeopolitically » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 pm

EKR11 wrote:

I was thinking about living with a friend there but she is a bartender and I think she just parties every night. I plan on having my nose in a book for the most part. It would be much cheaper to live with a roommate. And it is silly to think I need a place to myself when I will just be studying most the time anyways. Do you think craigslist is a little too shady? Anyone here looking for a roommate?

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:53 pm

droctii wrote:I'm IN!

WHA!? How! of waitlist or late app?

Congrats btw!

Rdubs

New

Post by Rdubs » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:00 am

Anyone from the waitlist hear back yet?

sgills

New

Post by sgills » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:56 am

Rdubs wrote:Anyone from the waitlist hear back yet?
I did. Got in off the waitlist a few weeks ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am

sgills wrote:
Numbers? In State or Out Of State?

sgills

New

Post by sgills » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:59 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:
sgills wrote:
In-state, 4.0/mid-160s

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:02 pm

sgills wrote:
unlicensedpotato wrote:
sgills wrote:
In-state, 4.0/mid-160s
Thanks and Congratulations!

sgills

New

Post by sgills » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Does UT have a second deposit and if so, when is it due?

PrincetonLaw

Bronze

Post by PrincetonLaw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Does UT have a second deposit and if so, when is it due?
No second deposit. Just have to sign a commitment letter and mail it in. They haven't given us a date yet, but I remember them saying June in th fb group...I think.

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:38 am

I'm the only person STILL waiting for something to appear in CASH, aren't I?

I didn't file taxes this year so I wonder if that's the problem?!

Magnifique1908

Silver

Post by Magnifique1908 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:53 am

Olive wrote:I'm the only person STILL waiting for something to appear in CASH, aren't I?

I didn't file taxes this year so I wonder if that's the problem?!

You did the FAFSA right? Taxes or no taxes, you still have to file the FAFSA to get aid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”