2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm

Scubasteve1315 wrote:I am with you that it is great of them to add something like that. I did find it slightly funny at the same time though.


Ha yeah that was the highlight of the page. Kudos for saying that, I think.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 pm

I got waitlisted, 163/2.7. A friend got a scholly with a 162 and better GPA. Damn my GPA. Anyone know when they'll look at the waitlist?

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 am

gobuffs10 wrote:I got waitlisted, 163/2.7. A friend got a scholly with a 162 and better GPA. Damn my GPA. Anyone know when they'll look at the waitlist?


I just think you applied too late in the cycle.

I got in with a 161/2.65

I'm currently on the CU waitlist, but most likely I'll end up at DU... which I am happy with.

I'd imagine they start looking at the waitlist after the first seat deposit deadline on 4/26.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:54 am

gobuffs10 wrote:I got waitlisted, 163/2.7. A friend got a scholly with a 162 and better GPA. Damn my GPA. Anyone know when they'll look at the waitlist?


Only go to DU at sticker if you can afford it.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 am

Don't pay sticker at DU unless you're part-time & your employer reimburses you for tuition & books.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 pm

rma wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:I got waitlisted, 163/2.7. A friend got a scholly with a 162 and better GPA. Damn my GPA. Anyone know when they'll look at the waitlist?


I just think you applied too late in the cycle.

I got in with a 161/2.65

I'm currently on the CU waitlist, but most likely I'll end up at DU... which I am happy with.

I'd imagine they start looking at the waitlist after the first seat deposit deadline on 4/26.


I sent my application January 27. I didn't realize that was so late. Good job, though. CU flat rejected me.

I have heard bad things about DU from current and former students. May just withdraw.

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:30 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:
rma wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:I got waitlisted, 163/2.7. A friend got a scholly with a 162 and better GPA. Damn my GPA. Anyone know when they'll look at the waitlist?


I just think you applied too late in the cycle.

I got in with a 161/2.65

I'm currently on the CU waitlist, but most likely I'll end up at DU... which I am happy with.

I'd imagine they start looking at the waitlist after the first seat deposit deadline on 4/26.


I sent my application January 27. I didn't realize that was so late. Good job, though. CU flat rejected me.

I have heard bad things about DU from current and former students. May just withdraw.


Yeah, I don't... I've been lucky I guess. My cycle has outperformed my numbers for whatever reason. Maybe schools think I'm a good writer, maybe my letters of rec were strong, maybe they cut me some slack for my poor GPA because I was an engineering major. I don't know. But whatever the reason is, I'm grateful.

As far as hearing bad things about DU, I think you just have to have realistic expectations. It's not a T14, and doesn't get you much beyond Denver. Also, I think being comfortably above median is a must.

With that being said, there isn't much competition in the Denver market beyond CU. And if you have a desire to be in Denver, it may be a fit for you. As far as student experiences, I've talked to alums and current 1Ls who just love it there.

No point in withdrawing, I think. Might as well stay on, and if you you do get off the WL... make a decision at that point.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 pm

I think I'll wait it out. I still have KU pending and Wisconsin somehow hasn't rejected me yet, so I guess it's best to wait and see how everything shakes out before I do anything drastic.

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I paid my seat deposit today!

Anybody else planning on attending?

robocall12
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby robocall12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

gobuffs10 wrote:I think I'll wait it out. I still have KU pending and Wisconsin somehow hasn't rejected me yet, so I guess it's best to wait and see how everything shakes out before I do anything drastic.


I see you got into Wisconsin and are planning to attend - Sweet! You should love Madison. I am still waiting for CU to admit me off of the waitlist but have not had any acceptances nearly as good as Wisconsin - Congrats, and Go Buffs!!

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:51 pm

robocall12 wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:I think I'll wait it out. I still have KU pending and Wisconsin somehow hasn't rejected me yet, so I guess it's best to wait and see how everything shakes out before I do anything drastic.


I see you got into Wisconsin and are planning to attend - Sweet! You should love Madison. I am still waiting for CU to admit me off of the waitlist but have not had any acceptances nearly as good as Wisconsin - Congrats, and Go Buffs!!


Thank you, that's very kind. Given the waitlist at SLU and DU and the rejection at CU, I'm not sure how I snuck into UW, but I'm fine with it.

I hope you hear from CU soon. I was hoping I would get waitlisted at least. I'm sure once they saw that I failed out of CU as a freshman, they weren't too keen on giving me another shot.

Boulder is a great place to live. If you have any questions about the town itself, or about Denver, feel free to PM me. Obviously I can't speak about the law schools at all, but I have lived in both cities, so I can help somewhat.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 pm

flem wrote:Withdrew yesterday. Couldn't justify the cost of attendance, even with 21K a year. Disappointed, really, really liked the school but the market is just too rough right now. Going to continue to gain work experience and retake the LSAT one last time.

Hope someone here gets my spot/money. Good luck!


I'm with you. I was comparing tuition today and saw I'll be paying roughly $56 at Wisconsin, and if I had stayed home and gone to DU I'd be paying $57. Crazy private schools.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:52 pm

flem wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
I'm with you. I was comparing tuition today and saw I'll be paying roughly $56 at Wisconsin, and if I had stayed home and gone to DU I'd be paying $57. Crazy private schools.


Total cost of attendance including interest and not accounting for tuition increases with a 21K/year scholarship is ~130K.

:shock:


Yeah it's absurd. I'm willing to take the debt for a top 40 school, but for DU I was not. Probably a good thing I got waitlisted. Where else did you get in?

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:42 pm

flem wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
Yeah it's absurd. I'm willing to take the debt for a top 40 school, but for DU I was not. Probably a good thing I got waitlisted. Where else did you get in?


I didn't apply very broadly. In at Umiami, held and waitlisted at Georgia State (I'm from Atlanta and it's super cheap). I didn't realize how shitty the market was. I'm retaking in October and shooting for UVA or Northwestern. I shit the bed on LSAT day and dropped 8-10 points from my practice tests so I'm confident I can get the score I need with more prep.


If you were PTing 8-10 points higher, it sounds like it was just a bad test day for you. Good luck next cycle.

User avatar
gobuffs10
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby gobuffs10 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Got off the waitlist and accepted today.

I'm pretty set on Madison, but I will miss Denver.

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 am

gobuffs10 wrote:Got off the waitlist and accepted today.

I'm pretty set on Madison, but I will miss Denver.


Congrats! Enjoy Madison. Wisconsin is a great school, but I sure hope you don't make the decision to attend there based solely on USNWR rankings. The rankings past the T14 are regional in nature, so you should go to school in a region you attend to practice after graduation.

Just my two cents. And again, congrats on both Wisconsin and DU!

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 pm

rma wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:Got off the waitlist and accepted today.

I'm pretty set on Madison, but I will miss Denver.


Congrats! Enjoy Madison. Wisconsin is a great school, but I sure hope you don't make the decision to attend there based solely on USNWR rankings. The rankings past the T14 are regional in nature, so you should go to school in a region you attend to practice after graduation.

Just my two cents. And again, congrats on both Wisconsin and DU!


+1

BizLawyer
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby BizLawyer » Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Has there been any movement on the waitlist lately? And did everyone on the waitlist get an email with an online inquiry to indicate whether or not they'd like to remain on the waitlist? Keeping my fingers crossed!

azalk
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby azalk » Sat May 19, 2012 1:22 am

I received the waitlist confirmation email, no other updates.

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Mon May 21, 2012 5:37 pm

flem wrote:
gobuffs10 wrote:
I'm with you. I was comparing tuition today and saw I'll be paying roughly $56 at Wisconsin, and if I had stayed home and gone to DU I'd be paying $57. Crazy private schools.


Total cost of attendance including interest and not accounting for tuition increases with a 21K/year scholarship is ~130K.

:shock:


Looking back on this, I'm not quite sure how you came up with that number. But I understand the total COA can be different for different people.

Granted, I am coming from a slightly different position since I can live at home and commute to DU, and my parents are willing to foot the bill as long as I pay them back.

So with my $15k/year scholarship, living at home, no interest... total COA is about $70k. Not bad, I don't think.

User avatar
R86
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby R86 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm

--LinkRemoved--

When you put in the total cost of attendance after a 24k/year scholly ($57,263 - 24,000 = 33263), without adding tuition increases, you get:

Approximate total payments (10-year level payments) $158,581 ($1,322/month)
Approximate total payments (25-year level payments) $244,131 ($814/month)


So tflem was actually low-balling his estimate :shock:

If you consider your situation, and eliminate all but the most essential costs (unlikely, but we'll go with it) you're looking at:

Tutition ($39,150 - 15k = $24,150) + Fees ($690) = $24,840 Total Cost = (about 75k - like you said)

Plugging that into the GULC calculator to get a sense of the real cost after interest (maybe you don't have to deal with it, but unless your parents have 75k cash at hand, they probably will - even then, for the sake of most people's situations, it's important to consider interest):

Approximate total payments (10-year level payments) $114,622 ($955/month)
Approximate total payments (25-year level payments) $174,535 ($582/month)


Edit: I thought tflem said 24k a year, not 21k a year. Even worse...
Last edited by R86 on Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
R86
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby R86 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:05 pm

While I've got it pulled up, let's look at someone coming in without a scholly who is likely to pay the full cost of attendance:

Cost of Attendance
$57,263


Source: http://www.du.edu/apply/gradfinaid/sturmcollegeoflaw/tutionandaid/index.html

Standard Student Loan Repayment Options

Approximate total payments (10-year level payments) $283,838 ($2,365/month)

Approximate total payments (25-year level payments) $442,433 ($1,475/month)

User avatar
R86
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby R86 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 pm

flem wrote:
R86 wrote:So tflem was actually low-balling his estimate :shock:


To be fair, I was calculating indebtedness at graduation, not total cost over the 10 year period. So what you did is a more accurate assessment.


Gotcha. When you said "including interest" I took it to mean after all is said and done.

rma
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby rma » Tue May 22, 2012 3:11 pm

As I said, COA is going to be different for different people. Since I'm not taking out any loans, and I am living it at home, my COA is simply tuition - my scholarship = roughly $22k per year.

I understand my situation is a little different from everyone else's. But my only point is that the COA given the same scholly can be different for different people.

Best of luck to both of you with your future plans!

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

rma wrote:As I said, COA is going to be different for different people. Since I'm not taking out any loans, and I am living it at home, my COA is simply tuition - my scholarship = roughly $22k per year.

I understand my situation is a little different from everyone else's. But my only point is that the COA given the same scholly can be different for different people.

Best of luck to both of you with your future plans!


This is why I always start off every "which school" thread asking if the OP is rich. TLS generally assumes a) everyone else is taking out max loans and b) law school decisions should be made 100% based on future earnings.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, AJ1010, Bob loblaw law blog, brinicolec, Google [Bot], malysh, notausername, pahuber2, potterotter, reillyg, Snowjon, studyingeveryday, ThorB and 22 guests