2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TxRenegade2012

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Withdrawing and staying in Tx. Hope y'all get some of the money and some folks who want to go there gets my spot.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey, all! I've been absent from TLS for a month or so. Just wondering if anyone is seeing the same thing as I am:

Current Status Date: 1/9/2012

Last year, DU got back to me (with a ding) two weeks after going complete. It's been over a month. Anyone have any insight?? Are they waiting for Feb. scores or do you think they dinged me and forgot to email me? haha

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:06 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
Status checker went blank, come on DU, give me some news!

Mine did too before a decision came via email. I would give it 3 days.

So is blank a good sign? Or does it just mean they've made their decision and I have to sweat it out for another weekend? GAH! I'm at the point where I just want to know either way.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:36 pm

LittlePete83 wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:

So is blank a good sign? Or does it just mean they've made their decision and I have to sweat it out for another weekend? GAH! I'm at the point where I just want to know either way.

It just means a decision is coming. I would give it 3 to 4 days via email (which is at least good). But it doesn't necessarily mean acceptance or denial.

LittlePete83

Postby LittlePete83 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:
LittlePete83 wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:

It just means a decision is coming. I would give it 3 to 4 days via email (which is at least good). But it doesn't necessarily mean acceptance or denial.

Ah gotcha. I was hoping it was like CU (I think). You knew you were accepted once dates and amounts showed up for seat deposits. Oh well! Best wishes to everyone!

rma

Postby rma » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:41 am

LittlePete83 wrote:Hey, all! I've been absent from TLS for a month or so. Just wondering if anyone is seeing the same thing as I am:

Current Status Date: 1/9/2012

Last year, DU got back to me (with a ding) two weeks after going complete. It's been over a month. Anyone have any insight?? Are they waiting for Feb. scores or do you think they dinged me and forgot to email me? haha

Same boat. My status checker date has been stuck on 1/13.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 am

Any chancellors yet?

rma

Postby rma » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Status checker went blank today, as well.

rma

Postby rma » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Accepted via email.

Stats in profile.

Also, I live in Denver and am quite familiar with the law school. I studied for the LSAT there, took the LSATs there, and am now preparing for the patent bar there. So if any of you have questions about the facilities or the surround area, feel free to post questions here or PM me.

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I can't believe how this thread just died after all the early excitement. It's like everyone applying to DU decided not to go to law school, put it off, or go somewhere else.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:02 pm

un-vordox wrote:I can't believe how this thread just died after all the early excitement. It's like everyone applying to DU decided not to go to law school, put it off, or go somewhere else.

Ha! I was excited to go to DU, and then I didn't get any aid... So, I'm probably writing off DU's $50K a year in loans for $20K at another school.

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:01 am

CaptAdams wrote:
un-vordox wrote:I can't believe how this thread just died after all the early excitement. It's like everyone applying to DU decided not to go to law school, put it off, or go somewhere else.

Ha! I was excited to go to DU, and then I didn't get any aid... So, I'm probably writing off DU's $50K a year in loans for $20K at another school.

+1 With no $ its hard to pay sticker at $50K

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:22 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

+ another. Estimated COA is $55,655. Not worth sticker to try for a chance to be in the 50% of grads who actually wind up doing legal work. For half off or better, I'd take that chance just to stay in CO, but not more than that.

lmaccaro

Postby lmaccaro » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

DON'T WRITE IT OFF COMPLETELY. Just because you didn't get aid on the first go doesn't mean they wont give you any. Like I posted earlier... you might as well ask for money. I couldn't hurt. I got in at sticker and asked for money, and now I have a 21K/yr scholarship. Come on y'all, at least try a little if you are so excited about Denver and think its a good fit. Nothing is life worth having comes easy...and no one is certainly going to hand you money if you don't try/ask for it.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 am

YankeeFan2 wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

I'm probably attending but if I didn't have a scholarship, I wouldn't. Paying 50k a year is insane for a school in this territory.

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:42 pm

lmaccaro wrote:
YankeeFan2 wrote:
CaptAdams wrote:

DON'T WRITE IT OFF COMPLETELY. Just because you didn't get aid on the first go doesn't mean they wont give you any. Like I posted earlier... you might as well ask for money. I couldn't hurt. I got in at sticker and asked for money, and now I have a 21K/yr scholarship. Come on y'all, at least try a little if you are so excited about Denver and think its a good fit. Nothing is life worth having comes easy...and no one is certainly going to hand you money if you don't try/ask for it.

I'm in the same boat as these guys, there is no way I can justify paying sticker and taking on that insane amount of debt. As much as I would absolutely love to be in Denver and go to DU, it's just not possible without substantial aid. I sent them a well thought out email last week requesting aid, and although they very quickly sent it to the scholarship committee and got back to me, they ultimately shot me down. So unless a miracle happens and they come back to me after seat deposits with an offer, I won't be attending. :(

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:21 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
I'm in the same boat as these guys, there is no way I can justify paying sticker and taking on that insane amount of debt. As much as I would absolutely love to be in Denver and go to DU, it's just not possible without substantial aid. I sent them a well thought out email last week requesting aid, and although they very quickly sent it to the scholarship committee and got back to me, they ultimately shot me down. So unless a miracle happens and they come back to me after seat deposits with an offer, I won't be attending. :(

Yeah I'm on board with that too, but I'm retaking, most likely moving to Denver this year, and will probably end up at DU in 2013. Hoping for $$$ next cycle.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

My status changed from under review to nothing. I'm assuming this blank will be filled in with a decision soon?

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Well that was fast. Accepted!!! :) first acceptance of the cycle. Thanks Denver, it means a lot!

Stefyhead

Postby Stefyhead » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Well that was fast. Accepted!!! :) first acceptance of the cycle. Thanks Denver, it means a lot!

Congrats! It's a nice school. :)

OhioRider22

Postby OhioRider22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 am

un-vordox wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:

Yeah I'm on board with that too, but I'm retaking, most likely moving to Denver this year, and will probably end up at DU in 2013. Hoping for $$$ next cycle.

Not a bad plan at all, good luck! I wish DU was a public school and we could just move there for a year and enroll for 2013 with reasonable in state tuition. Or I could just wish my numbers were good enough for CU. Actually, there's all kinds of shit I could wish for.... oh well.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Got accepted to DU as well asking for aid information as well. Was told that I would get info soon enough.

Interested in Denver the whole city and the school. Not so much in full price though. Good luck all

un-vordox

Postby un-vordox » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:19 pm

OhioRider22 wrote:
un-vordox wrote:
OhioRider22 wrote:

Not a bad plan at all, good luck! I wish DU was a public school and we could just move there for a year and enroll for 2013 with reasonable in state tuition. Or I could just wish my numbers were good enough for CU. Actually, there's all kinds of shit I could wish for.... oh well.

Haha. Thanks, and agreed.

I talked to admissions today and they don't defer without an "exceptional situation like joining the Peace Corps". So, deferring and re-negotiating is out.... Yep, pretty sure I'm re-applying next year.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Ginj wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Congrats to everyone accepted!

I'm a DU 1L, killing time while I wait for the rest of my grades (and avoiding the work I have to do...) Open for questions if anyone's interested.

Competition with CU. Tell me about it.

That's a strange thing, actually. Before I started at DU, I was considering CU, but found that a lot of the folks there were really down on DU - in an almost oversensitive way. At DU, everyone plays down any sort of competition between the two. And, really, when you're slogging through 500 pages of reading in a week, it's not like there's time to think about what another school is doing!

As far as job competition, it depends on what you're going for. A lot of firms in Denver have DU alumni in their ranks, and they tend to be fiercely loyal to DU. It's not an in, but it's a bump.

The conventional wisdom is that DU tends to have an edge over CU in the Denver firm market, whereas CU has an edge when it comes to clerkshipsI .

Before I add my two cents, a little about me.
I almost went to DU on a full ride last year, but they wouldn't tell me their detailed employment numbers when I asked for them. I felt that this was a bad sign, so I didn't attend. Full disclosure: I now attend CU.

I've never heard the conventional wisdom about DU having an edge over CU in the Denver firm market, because that would be akin to saying that DU>CU for private employment as Denver is the only firm market in CO. I don't think the numbers bear this out, but really, the best info to give an 0L about either school must focus on the fact that there are way too many lawyers in CO. Saying CU has an edge in this and DU an edge in that is just missing the point.

Employment info on the two schools in 2009-- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681
CU - 30% over 60k or Art. III clerks
DU - 6% over 55k or Art. III clerks

I could say CU>DU, but lets face it both of these numbers are really, really bad. From a purely financial standpoint, both of these schools are currently very poor decisions. So why draw distinctions? If you are called to be an attorney and you are ok being broke your whole life (assuming you will want to have a family, own a home, etc.) and relying on LRAP or IBR, then either one of these schools will provide you with a great education and a super network in CO. If you are independently wealthy and want a JD, go for it, either school is respected in CO. If not... Maybe don't go to either school. I fall into one of the two categories above, but I have classmates who do not. I speak for them and I am only trying to help. Good luck.

RaiderBlue17

Postby RaiderBlue17 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Ok guys: I need a bit of help... If you must skewer me for my lack of knowledge so be it, but please give me honest help as well.

I was just offered a good amount of money at DU, Over half tuition a year, BUT the big thing is that I need to keep a 3.0 GPA to keep this award.

NOW: I have heard law schools grade on a curve, but Im not REALLY sure what that means ... SO I consider myself a good student BUT does a 3.0 stipulation ask TOO much of an individual? Or does a 3.0 stipulation really seem doable with so many other good students in the class etc.

I guess bottom line is this: If offered a deal like this would you consider the Offer as asking too much? I.E. a catch in the deal?

I hope I got out what I was asking about: is this a good deal or simply something that will get me interested in the school and DISSAPEAR after one semester b/c the stipulation is so too high etc.

Thank you

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”