2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DULaw13

New

Re: 2011-2012 Cycle: University of Denver c/o 2015

Post by DULaw13 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 am

RaiderBlue17 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Trouble with SLU is that: A. You'll have to live/work in St. Louis; and (bigger than A), B. You'll be competing with WUSTL (ranked at 19 against SLU's >100). At least DU is 77 against CU's 47.

If you love Denver, the choice seems fairly obvious.

I DO LOVE Denver, but I BELIEVE that if EVERYBODY is as smart as everybody else in law school, then the coin flip scenario applies. I am a wee bit older than kids just out of college, but I cannot guarantee that I'd be in the top half of DUs class. I hope that nobody could be THAT confident, LOL

My last concern with DU is the idea of a lack of true alumni support and connections. I haven't gotten a great feel for their employment stats relevant to Colorado. And Im not sure I'd really be competing with WashU kids at SLU seeing as im GUESSING they're looking for big law or top firms everywhere on the east coast.

I always hear 'everybody is as smart as you are' regarding law school so I can never feel COMPLETELY comfortable with a 3.0 stipulation, but HOPEFULLY after a visit to all of these schools one will stand out.

Thank You all, You have all been quite gracious.
I have been following this thread and thought I would throw you my two cents. I am a 2L at DU, and also considered SLU prior to coming to DU. First, SLU is a decent school, but as someone who spent many years in St. Louis I can say with 1000% confidence that the quality of life in Denver is significantly better (of course you know this already). Also, the Denver legal market is slightly larger, but far more diverse then you will find in STL. On a more important note, you can question DU for the high tuition and the less than stellar starting salary figures (although this is the case in most places), but I don't think you can question its alumni connections. Over 50% of all members of the Denver bar association, and the Colorado bar association are DU grads. That means that chances are, no matter what area of law, or what kind of practice (big firm, small firm, public interest, etc) you are interested in, there is an alumni network there for you. I understand being hesitant of the 3.0 stip. Yes not everyone can be in the top 50% of the class...but 3.0 really is a not at all difficult. Study, commit yourself, make it your job, and have a plan. I turned down money at other schools, and turned down significantly higher ranked schools to come to DU. I am not the "ra-ra" go DU type, but I can say that I am more than happy with my decision. Feel free to PM me if you would like more insight or have specific questions.

un-vordox

Bronze

Post by un-vordox » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 am

DULaw13 wrote:
RaiderBlue17 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Trouble with SLU is that: A. You'll have to live/work in St. Louis; and (bigger than A), B. You'll be competing with WUSTL (ranked at 19 against SLU's >100). At least DU is 77 against CU's 47.

If you love Denver, the choice seems fairly obvious.

I DO LOVE Denver, but I BELIEVE that if EVERYBODY is as smart as everybody else in law school, then the coin flip scenario applies. I am a wee bit older than kids just out of college, but I cannot guarantee that I'd be in the top half of DUs class. I hope that nobody could be THAT confident, LOL

My last concern with DU is the idea of a lack of true alumni support and connections. I haven't gotten a great feel for their employment stats relevant to Colorado. And Im not sure I'd really be competing with WashU kids at SLU seeing as im GUESSING they're looking for big law or top firms everywhere on the east coast.

I always hear 'everybody is as smart as you are' regarding law school so I can never feel COMPLETELY comfortable with a 3.0 stipulation, but HOPEFULLY after a visit to all of these schools one will stand out.

Thank You all, You have all been quite gracious.
I have been following this thread and thought I would throw you my two cents. I am a 2L at DU, and also considered SLU prior to coming to DU. First, SLU is a decent school, but as someone who spent many years in St. Louis I can say with 1000% confidence that the quality of life in Denver is significantly better (of course you know this already). Also, the Denver legal market is slightly larger, but far more diverse then you will find in STL. On a more important note, you can question DU for the high tuition and the less than stellar starting salary figures (although this is the case in most places), but I don't think you can question its alumni connections. Over 50% of all members of the Denver bar association, and the Colorado bar association are DU grads. That means that chances are, no matter what area of law, or what kind of practice (big firm, small firm, public interest, etc) you are interested in, there is an alumni network there for you. I understand being hesitant of the 3.0 stip. Yes not everyone can be in the top 50% of the class...but 3.0 really is a not at all difficult. Study, commit yourself, make it your job, and have a plan. I turned down money at other schools, and turned down significantly higher ranked schools to come to DU. I am not the "ra-ra" go DU type, but I can say that I am more than happy with my decision. Feel free to PM me if you would like more insight or have specific questions.
Thank you.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:26 am

DULaw13 wrote: I have been following this thread and thought I would throw you my two cents. I am a 2L at DU, and also considered SLU prior to coming to DU. First, SLU is a decent school, but as someone who spent many years in St. Louis I can say with 1000% confidence that the quality of life in Denver is significantly better (of course you know this already). Also, the Denver legal market is slightly larger, but far more diverse then you will find in STL. On a more important note, you can question DU for the high tuition and the less than stellar starting salary figures (although this is the case in most places), but I don't think you can question its alumni connections. Over 50% of all members of the Denver bar association, and the Colorado bar association are DU grads. That means that chances are, no matter what area of law, or what kind of practice (big firm, small firm, public interest, etc) you are interested in, there is an alumni network there for you. I understand being hesitant of the 3.0 stip. Yes not everyone can be in the top 50% of the class...but 3.0 really is a not at all difficult. Study, commit yourself, make it your job, and have a plan. I turned down money at other schools, and turned down significantly higher ranked schools to come to DU. I am not the "ra-ra" go DU type, but I can say that I am more than happy with my decision. Feel free to PM me if you would like more insight or have specific questions.
Thanks.

Pm'd

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Messaged as well...

tfleming09 wrote:
DULaw13 wrote: I have been following this thread and thought I would throw you my two cents. I am a 2L at DU, and also considered SLU prior to coming to DU. First, SLU is a decent school, but as someone who spent many years in St. Louis I can say with 1000% confidence that the quality of life in Denver is significantly better (of course you know this already). Also, the Denver legal market is slightly larger, but far more diverse then you will find in STL. On a more important note, you can question DU for the high tuition and the less than stellar starting salary figures (although this is the case in most places), but I don't think you can question its alumni connections. Over 50% of all members of the Denver bar association, and the Colorado bar association are DU grads. That means that chances are, no matter what area of law, or what kind of practice (big firm, small firm, public interest, etc) you are interested in, there is an alumni network there for you. I understand being hesitant of the 3.0 stip. Yes not everyone can be in the top 50% of the class...but 3.0 really is a not at all difficult. Study, commit yourself, make it your job, and have a plan. I turned down money at other schools, and turned down significantly higher ranked schools to come to DU. I am not the "ra-ra" go DU type, but I can say that I am more than happy with my decision. Feel free to PM me if you would like more insight or have specific questions.
Thanks.

Pm'd

zapcaz

Bronze

Post by zapcaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Accepted today! Hurray!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 am

:D
Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 am

R86 wrote:
RaiderBlue17 wrote:My last concern with DU is the idea of a lack of true alumni support and connections. I haven't gotten a great feel for their employment stats relevant to Colorado. And Im not sure I'd really be competing with WashU kids at SLU seeing as im GUESSING they're looking for big law or top firms everywhere on the east coast.
I live in Denver and will be applying to DU next cycle. I also work at a mid-sized law firm downtown and a good third of our attorneys are DU grads. There is a lot of support.
Thanks - how many of them are recent hires though?

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am

Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 am

R86 wrote:Of our three most recent hires, two.
Thanks for the quick response!

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 am

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 am

R86 wrote:No worries.

It's certainly just my narrow perspective, working where I happen to work with the people I happen to work with, but I'm really only considering Colorado & Denver, and some days I find myself leaning towards Denver despite the higher cost and lower ranking. The DU folks here are serious supporters of the school and I've seen the connections really work for people.
That's good to hear. If you're good enough to get into Colorado you'll be good enough for money at DU I would think. It's also not as if CU is a T14 and DU is a TTTT so the rankings distinction is fairly minimal I would think.

RaiderBlue17

Bronze

Post by RaiderBlue17 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am

anybody know how DU jumped so much in the rankings. I am quite happy to see this, as UTK and DU are now equal and money is better at DU currently.

Just asking as an outsider, not to stir the pot... Yes I know 'rankings' dont matter, but if part of rankings comes from perception an increase of a schools academic/professional perception should matter some what for potential employers/employees.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:14 am

Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:54 pm

RaiderBlue17 wrote:anybody know how DU jumped so much in the rankings.
There's a huge focus now on producing practice-ready lawyers, reducing student/faculty ratios, reducing class size (used to be ~330 entering class, now below 300, day and night programs combined), probably some upward movement in LSAT/GPA numbers, and a benefactor that is willing to spend a ton of money to help the school continue climbing the ranks...

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:and a benefactor that is willing to spend a ton of money to help the school continue climbing the ranks...
I think this is the biggest part, honestly. That dude is putting in serious work/money for DU.

VREBEL

New

Post by VREBEL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Any DU updates? I am waiting to be notified that I was rejected and then I plan to start preparing for the October LSAT and re-apply!

My status went Application Complete/Ready for Review on 3/13 any idea if I am going to have to wait it out the suggested 6 to 8 weeks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scubasteve1315

New

Post by Scubasteve1315 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:42 pm

When do people think we will hear about the Chancellor? A thread on this site from last year shows the emails coming out March 22 last year. Well, I cant stop checking my email.

VREBEL

New

Post by VREBEL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Wow...this thread is really dead!!! I would love some predictions on when I will receive a decision! It will more than likely be a rejection but I am still anxious and curious. My application went complete/ready for review on 3/13.

I read the same post regarding the Chancellor Scholarship results being released on March 22 in a prior year. I have been in contact with the school the past couple of days regarding the status of mine and from what I was told I assumed the “first round” review has already been complete. There should be results released soon I would suspect. I was also informed that the committee plans to make ALL their decisions regarding the Chancellor Scholarship before the end of March. I am not sure if they do a second round of reviews, if that is also done before the end of March or how that works.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

R86 wrote:
Scholarship recipients typically have an exemplary academic record (3.2 GPA or higher and LSAT of 158 or higher) and can demonstrate, through academic or professional history, significant public service activities prior to coming to law school.
http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/student ... r-scholars

Wow. Some of the current recipients have done some seriously impressive work.
Good fuck.

Also, I'll be at the ASD tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VREBEL

New

Post by VREBEL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I know! I read through most of the information regarding the current scholarship recipients and I was very impressed. I have never served in the Peace Corps or traveled to another country to assist under privileged children…very intimidating. I thought my public interest involvement was somewhat unique and personal and that is the only reason I thought I had a chance and applied. Unfortunately I didn’t do well enough on the LSAT to even get admitted let alone a full scholarship!#$%#$

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Last edited by R86 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VREBEL

New

Post by VREBEL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:11 pm

I should have waited until next cycle to apply like you. I decided in December...oh I think I will apply to law school and Fall 2013 was just too far away. Bad idea. I have always wanted to go to law school but I thought it was too expensive until I researched the Chancellor Scholarship and other scholarships available in December lol.

VREBEL

New

Post by VREBEL » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Has anyone received an email regarding the Chancellor Scholarship yet???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”