Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Geneva

Re: Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 am

cbcoop wrote:
Geneva wrote:
cbcoop wrote:I was trying to choose between BC, Notre Dame, and W&M over the last couple of months, but the scholarship tilted the scales in BC's favor, so I'll be sending in my deposit soon. Has anyone else decided yet?

i haven't heard back from bc yet, which makes it harder to decide. my application went complete 1/13, but no news since then. wonder if i should tell them bu offered me 105K (total) and i'd really appreciate it if they could give me as estimate of if i'll be accepted/how much merit aid i might get if so?

Yeah that's a tough situation. If you're accepted (and it seems you would have a really good shot) then you should certainly hit them with the BU scholarship offer right away to see what they give you. It's probably best to try to wait for the acceptance first though. Maybe give it about one more week, and if no reply, call them and try to get a response. Last year I applied really late (with a very poorly written PS) and I received a BC rejection letter in the mail that was postdated March 21st.

I've heard that BU is a little more generous with scholarships than BC, so they may not match the 105 exactly. However, I'll point out that every scholarship I received stipulated that I maintain a 3.0, but BC's stipulated that I maintain a GPA of 2.0, well below the median grading curve. Of course, not sure if they're all like that.

Thanks for the info! Thinking of just sending in a LOCI and letting the chips fall where they may. Congrats on making a final decision! I think making that decision is going to be the hardest part of this process. Just wondering, how did your app change to lead you from a rejection last year to a scholarship this year at BC? Congrats on that, BTW:)

cbcoop

Postby cbcoop » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:10 am

Well, I'm not sure if it was so much the app change as my poor timing. Last year I applied close to the deadline, whereas this year I applied in the first week of October. Originally, I really didn't research the application process very well. I took an adderol and wrote my PS several hours before I applied. When I read it a couple months later, I realized that it was ridiculous. This year I put much more effort into it. I emphasized personal problems that I have overcome in the past, my work in community service, etc. never mentioning why I want to be lawyer.

Anyways, Good Luck with whichever decision you make and keep me posted on BC!

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:26 am

cbcoop wrote:Well, I'm not sure if it was so much the app change as my poor timing. Last year I applied close to the deadline, whereas this year I applied in the first week of October. Originally, I really didn't research the application process very well. I took an adderol and wrote my PS several hours before I applied. When I read it a couple months later, I realized that it was ridiculous. This year I put much more effort into it. I emphasized personal problems that I have overcome in the past, my work in community service, etc. never mentioning why I want to be lawyer.

Anyways, Good Luck with whichever decision you make and keep me posted on BC!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Glad to hear your cycle worked out this time around. :) Will do! Think I'm going to send in a LOCI next week. Worst case scenario, the LOCI will only expedite the process of being rejected, but figure it can't hurt at this point.

landla

Postby landla » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:04 am

Moriarty wrote:Is anyone going to one of the open houses? I'm trying to decide if I want to fly up there on short notice.

I'm going to the second one. I think BC is something you need to see to decide on, personally. If you are seriously considering it, I'd suggest attending.

Ec84

Postby Ec84 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Has anyone who was on the waiting list heard back from BC yet?

cmd72215

Postby cmd72215 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm going to the first open house at BC, but I accidentally deleted the email about the open house does anyone still have it? If anyone does, would you mind posting the times and locations that were in the email? Thanks!

Moriarty

Postby Moriarty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 pm

landla wrote:
Moriarty wrote:Is anyone going to one of the open houses? I'm trying to decide if I want to fly up there on short notice.

I'm going to the second one. I think BC is something you need to see to decide on, personally. If you are seriously considering it, I'd suggest attending.

Thanks for the reply! I decided to go to the second one, too, because it makes my schedule less hectic. So excited!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Has anyone that applied in Jan. not herad anything yet?

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Has anyone that applied in Jan. not herad anything yet?

Yes, I've been under review since 1/18 and nothing since...

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Yeah, law school numbers show very few results for people who applied since about 1/5/12

looking at last years info a lot of people didn't hear until end of march/begining of april.

Complete since about 1/24
Last edited by mrjohnsterman on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juju96

Postby juju96 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

complete since 1/24

barbaraeliz

Postby barbaraeliz » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 pm

honeynutt wrote:

Same date and nothing. As a top choice, I just want the (likely) bad news. :oops:

rich_4

Postby rich_4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 pm

What's the normal time between acceptance and scholarship offers? I was accepted last week and received the entire acceptance package today, but it just says merit scholarships will be sent out starting in Feb.

I've received ~60k from a couple of comparable/higher ranked schools so I'm wondering if I should contact them yet, or wait it out a couple of weeks.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

rich_4 wrote:What's the normal time between acceptance and scholarship offers? I was accepted last week and received the entire acceptance package today, but it just says merit scholarships will be sent out starting in Feb.

I've received ~60k from a couple of comparable/higher ranked schools so I'm wondering if I should contact them yet, or wait it out a couple of weeks.

They come separately.

itsacanesthing

Postby itsacanesthing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm

honeynutt wrote:

Updated today- "Your application is being reviewed"

Went complete early Feb

NJDevilsfan

Postby NJDevilsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 pm

If we haven't heard back yet, should we expect wait list?

aad05001

Postby aad05001 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I applied on 1/19 and went from "Complete" to "Under Review" almost instantly (complete 1/22, UR 1/23). I actually forgot there was a "Complete" stage with BC for a moment. Are people actually in "complete" status for more than a day or two? I don't think it bodes well for me that I went UR so quick and haven't had any movement since...

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

rich_4 wrote:What's the normal time between acceptance and scholarship offers? I was accepted last week and received the entire acceptance package today, but it just says merit scholarships will be sent out starting in Feb.

+1 I'm very interested too... I was accepted in late Feb...

SteelersGal90

Postby SteelersGal90 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:21 pm

sdphill wrote:

From the e-mails to accepted students they've been sending out, it appears that they began sending out scholarships in February on a rolling basis. However, there was no word on anyone receiving scholarships until last week, when a handful of people on here reporting receiving a scholarship. From what I could find about last year's class, mid-March is about the earliest they start sending them out. I know they are beginning to review need-based scholarships soon (I think the deadline was today?) so that might interfere with the merit-based scholarships process (ie: slowing it down). The last e-mail they sent mentioned that we would be getting our Agora passwords sometime toward the middle/end of March once they start reviewing need-based scholarships. Students who have already received scholarships have received them through e-mail notifications but most merit-based scholarships showed up on students' Agora accounts last year without notification. I would wait until these Agora account username/passwords come out to investigate. Both BC and BU are typically behind the ball with their scholarships...maybe to weed out those who aren't 100% committed? They also are known for up-ing your scholarship amount once you send in your 1st deposit. I will be going for a visit next Thursday and plan on asking about a timeline for scholarships if I haven't heard anything by then. Money is essentially what is deciding whether I end up at BC or BU (granted I don't absolutely HATE one or the other when I visit next week) so I am anxious to find out as well. Again, this is essentially a compilation of my obsessive-compulsive law school research via the internet. This year's scholarhip info may not follow the same pattern as last year's or it may be 100% predictable by last year's data. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait...and know that many others are in the same boat as you!

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 pm

NJDevilsfan wrote:If we haven't heard back yet, should we expect wait list?

+1

pedroia

Postby pedroia » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm

SteelersGal90 wrote:
sdphill wrote:

From the e-mails to accepted students they've been sending out, it appears that they began sending out scholarships in February on a rolling basis. However, there was no word on anyone receiving scholarships until last week, when a handful of people on here reporting receiving a scholarship. From what I could find about last year's class, mid-March is about the earliest they start sending them out. I know they are beginning to review need-based scholarships soon (I think the deadline was today?) so that might interfere with the merit-based scholarships process (ie: slowing it down). The last e-mail they sent mentioned that we would be getting our Agora passwords sometime toward the middle/end of March once they start reviewing need-based scholarships. Students who have already received scholarships have received them through e-mail notifications but most merit-based scholarships showed up on students' Agora accounts last year without notification. I would wait until these Agora account username/passwords come out to investigate. Both BC and BU are typically behind the ball with their scholarships...maybe to weed out those who aren't 100% committed? They also are known for up-ing your scholarship amount once you send in your 1st deposit. I will be going for a visit next Thursday and plan on asking about a timeline for scholarships if I haven't heard anything by then. Money is essentially what is deciding whether I end up at BC or BU (granted I don't absolutely HATE one or the other when I visit next week) so I am anxious to find out as well. Again, this is essentially a compilation of my obsessive-compulsive law school research via the internet. This year's scholarhip info may not follow the same pattern as last year's or it may be 100% predictable by last year's data. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait...and know that many others are in the same boat as you!

Thanks so much for posting this. It's super helpful. I do wish BC would hurry up but you're right that it's good to know I'm not alone! I too will likely be deciding between BU and BC. From what I've seen on past years' threads, it would seem Agora info should come out any day now. I think one year it came out on the 15th, actually, but sadly it didn't come today, at least not to me. But yeah thanks so much for posting this, again. Best of luck to everyone!

ganggreen

Postby ganggreen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 pm

I feel like we're all banking on BC to release a mid-March massive wave of merit scholarships. But what if that never happens and they're just going to continue to slowly roll them out? Sorry if I sound pessimistic, admissions just hasn't given me much to hope for this cycle....

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 am

is it true that boston college doesn't yield protect?

cstan

Postby cstan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:33 am

SteelersGal90 wrote:
sdphill wrote:

we are all in the same boat! the suspense is killing me...i'm trying to figure my life out assuming neither will give me money, but i'm dying to end up at one of those schools!

MyPrecious

Postby MyPrecious » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 am

have been complete since 1/18 with no action since.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”