Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ionoiforgot

Re: Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015

Postby ionoiforgot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

ru2486 wrote:Just withdrew with substantial scholly. Good luck to those still on the waitlist and I hope a deserving TLS-er gets the money!

If I get any money, I'll know who to thank! :D

uptowngirl22

Postby uptowngirl22 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Got off waitlist on Wednesday afternoon via e-mail.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 pm

uptowngirl22 wrote:Got off waitlist on Wednesday afternoon via e-mail.

I'm in off the WL too. E-mailed letter.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20 pm

how generous is BC with respect to merit scholarship? BU is pretty generous-- is BC on par with them?

martorem

Postby martorem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm

AlanShore wrote:how generous is BC with respect to merit scholarship? BU is pretty generous-- is BC on par with them?

I got 15/year from BU and 20/year from BC, no stips on either.

tebowforpresident

Postby tebowforpresident » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:25 pm

anyone get an email saying they "may be admitting some candidates from the wait list"?

Sandstorm

Postby Sandstorm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:29 pm

AlanShore wrote:how generous is BC with respect to merit scholarship? BU is pretty generous-- is BC on par with them?

BU is known for being very stingy with scholarship money. BC's normally always much better, so If you received money from BU its a good sign.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I think BC is completely out of money for the year.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 pm

westcoast wrote:I think BC is completely out of money for the year.

Based on?

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:22 pm

manofjustice wrote:

Based on?

I heard this from the school and a couple other applicants.

GoUBears

Postby GoUBears » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm

westcoast wrote:
manofjustice wrote:

Based on?

I heard this from the school and a couple other applicants.

Ditto. I was told this by admissions.

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm going to be a 1L at BC and I have been trying to find a place to live. I know that Cleveland Circle/Brighton are popular areas, but are there certain apartment buildings that a lot of students tend to live at. I'm looking for the mix of social and school, so I would like to be around students without spending $2,000/month for a room. Thanks

ionoiforgot

Postby ionoiforgot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:28 am

leafs1315 wrote:I'm going to be a 1L at BC and I have been trying to find a place to live. I know that Cleveland Circle/Brighton are popular areas, but are there certain apartment buildings that a lot of students tend to live at. I'm looking for the mix of social and school, so I would like to be around students without spending $2,000/month for a room. Thanks

Um, how are you spending $2,000/month on a room? Perhaps I'm being picky with your use of words, but I'm pretty sure you can get a room in the Newton area for $1000 easily, and probably less (including utilities).

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 am

leafs1315 wrote:I'm going to be a 1L at BC and I have been trying to find a place to live. I know that Cleveland Circle/Brighton are popular areas, but are there certain apartment buildings that a lot of students tend to live at. I'm looking for the mix of social and school, so I would like to be around students without spending $2,000/month for a room. Thanks

hey, former BC undergrad here. I lived in Cleveland Circle in a 2bedroom for $1875--this was a few HUNDRED dollars more than what any of my friends were paying. $2000 is a complete rip off. There are a ton of "student apartment buildings" but they're filled with raucous undergrads, and I'm not sure you would even want to consider that kind of lifestyle as a law student. Even as an undergrad when I was writing my thesis I found it hard to live with so many parties going on outside. Cleveland Circle is fun--it's where most BC students might go for drinks, so living close by would provide your "social" request. Given, I'm not familiar with the social make-up of the law school, but I will tell you that taking the newton bus from cleveland circle is the worst most evil thing in the world.

Newton is also nice, though it is suburban and the bars/restaurants lean more towards wealthy and older newton residents than you will find in Brighton. Also, Newton is expensive (I believe much more expensive than Cleveland Circle) because it's in one of the best school districts in the country. This might vary by neighborhood, but from what I understand, it's much more expensive to live in Newton as a general rule.

edit:

I forgot to add, start looking YESTERDAY. Cleveland Circle fills up fast, with some leases being signed as early as October for the following September. Start looking ASAP or else you might be stuck with once of the overpriced or otherwise undesirable apartments.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:04 am

avd90 wrote:

hey, former BC undergrad here. I lived in Cleveland Circle in a 2bedroom for $1875--this was a few HUNDRED dollars more than what any of my friends were paying. $2000 is a complete rip off. There are a ton of "student apartment buildings" but they're filled with raucous undergrads, and I'm not sure you would even want to consider that kind of lifestyle as a law student. Even as an undergrad when I was writing my thesis I found it hard to live with so many parties going on outside. Cleveland Circle is fun--it's where most BC students might go for drinks, so living close by would provide your "social" request. Given, I'm not familiar with the social make-up of the law school, but I will tell you that taking the newton bus from cleveland circle is the worst most evil thing in the world.

Newton is also nice, though it is suburban and the bars/restaurants lean more towards wealthy and older newton residents than you will find in Brighton. Also, Newton is expensive (I believe much more expensive than Cleveland Circle) because it's in one of the best school districts in the country. This might vary by neighborhood, but from what I understand, it's much more expensive to live in Newton as a general rule.

edit:

I forgot to add, start looking YESTERDAY. Cleveland Circle fills up fast, with some leases being signed as early as October for the following September. Start looking ASAP or else you might be stuck with once of the overpriced or otherwise undesirable apartments.

When you say that the Newton bus is the worst thing in the world, are you referring to the green line bus or the BC shuttle? The BC shuttle doesn't look to be too bad in terms of commute. From my understanding, the shuttle picks you up in Cleveland Circle, takes you to the main campus and drops you off in front of where the Newton shuttle picks up students at the Chestnut Hill main gate.

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, are there any certain buildings that students live in? Also, I'm not paying 2000/month, it's just I have seen a lot of places around that price. I've been searching craigslist trying to find a place in Brighton/Cleveland Circle, I'm assuming this is the best method.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 pm

JetsFan1990 wrote:
avd90 wrote:

edit:

When you say that the Newton bus is the worst thing in the world, are you referring to the green line bus or the BC shuttle? The BC shuttle doesn't look to be too bad in terms of commute. From my understanding, the shuttle picks you up in Cleveland Circle, takes you to the main campus and drops you off in front of where the Newton shuttle picks up students at the Chestnut Hill main gate.

I was on Newton Campus as a freshman, and waiting for the bus is so tedious and time consuming. At least now they have an app called transloc so you can sort of plan when to leave etc. BC definitely tries to downplay the inconvenience of the Newton Campus, but it really sucks getting from Main Campus to Newton. It is free, which is nice, but at the end of the day to get from Cleveland Circle to Newton Campus could take a very long time, and about 8 stops

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm

leafs1315 wrote:Thanks for the replies, are there any certain buildings that students live in? Also, I'm not paying 2000/month, it's just I have seen a lot of places around that price. I've been searching craigslist trying to find a place in Brighton/Cleveland Circle, I'm assuming this is the best method.

I would try a realtor if I were you. The convenience is definitely worth the extra expense. Also, are you looking to live alone or with a roommate? If you don't have a roommate picked out, check out BC's off campus housing listings. That's how I found my place/realtor in previous years and there are tons of people looking for someone to fill spots. You can search specifically for grad students if you want to avoid undergrads.

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Are there any realtors that you would recommend? I was talking to a potential roommate, but our budgets and some other random things were different. I was thinking of living by myself the first year then getting a roommate the 2nd and 3rd year. I'd rather not worry about anything the 1st year.

avd90

Postby avd90 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm

leafs1315 wrote:Are there any realtors that you would recommend? I was talking to a potential roommate, but our budgets and some other random things were different. I was thinking of living by myself the first year then getting a roommate the 2nd and 3rd year. I'd rather not worry about anything the 1st year.

I used: Ryan Kirby
Inbound Real Estate Inc
896 Beacon St, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
Cell.617-620-4376
Fax.617-266-0455

He was really great. I was living in Berlin while trying to arrange a place, and he was incredibly accommodating--went the extra mile to video tape walk throughs and coordinate with my family that was in the area. You will pay a lot more to live alone, but if that's not a big issue for you, I'm sure you'll be fine (fewer students opt to live alone, so there's less competition with studios/one beds). Good luck!

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:24 pm

avd90 wrote:
I used: Ryan Kirby
Inbound Real Estate Inc
896 Beacon St, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA 02215
Cell.617-620-4376
Fax.617-266-0455

He was really great. I was living in Berlin while trying to arrange a place, and he was incredibly accommodating--went the extra mile to video tape walk throughs and coordinate with my family that was in the area. You will pay a lot more to live alone, but if that's not a big issue for you, I'm sure you'll be fine (fewer students opt to live alone, so there's less competition with studios/one beds). Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be more expensive living on my own, but it seems that I'm a little late in finding a roommate and the only option didn't pan out. I didn't want to try to find another roommate now and then have to either live far away or pay a lot. I'm hoping to live close to other students, so I'll give your guy a call.

martorem

Postby martorem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:01 pm

avd90 wrote:
JetsFan1990 wrote:
avd90 wrote:

edit:

I was on Newton Campus as a freshman, and waiting for the bus is so tedious and time consuming. At least now they have an app called transloc so you can sort of plan when to leave etc. BC definitely tries to downplay the inconvenience of the Newton Campus, but it really sucks getting from Main Campus to Newton. It is free, which is nice, but at the end of the day to get from Cleveland Circle to Newton Campus could take a very long time, and about 8 stops

To add to this (another former BC undergraduate here) in the morning and the evening during the week I believe there are two buses that go directly from the Reservoir stop in Cleveland Circle all the way to Newton without stopping at Main Campus, so if you can time those buses it won't be as bad. But like avd90 was saying, if you miss that bus, you have to take the first bus to Main Campus and then catch the Newton bus - except before noontime, the first bus will drop you off at Lower Campus, and the Newton Bus only stops at the main gate - a 5 to 10 min walk depending on if you know the shortcuts. The transloc app is amazing though so hopefully you won't end up running to catch the bus too often!

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I''m concentrating all my searches to the Cleveland Circle area, since I won't have a car. Hopefully it works out and I can get to and from class easily.

leafs1315

Postby leafs1315 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:25 am

Hey everyone, so I have another question. I just got a place on Beacon Street, about 5 minutes away from Cityside. What's the best/quickest way to get the Law school? Thanks

The Fiend

Postby The Fiend » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

leafs1315 wrote:Hey everyone, so I have another question. I just got a place on Beacon Street, about 5 minutes away from Cityside. What's the best/quickest way to get the Law school? Thanks

Hey leafs... you a leafs fan?

PS - was admitted a little over a week ago with an updated LSAT from June, but no scholly money (well above the median LSAT, just over median GPA). I can confirm BC is already over budget for schollies.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”