Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stillwater

Gold

Re: Boston College Applicants 2011-2012 Cycle, c/o2015

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 pm

BKCentral wrote:Aw man I'm still at 2/6. I bet you all have acceptances coming your way! My 167/3.3x is probably gunna get me WL/dinged & BC was one of my top choices :(
+1

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 pm

stillwater wrote:
BKCentral wrote:Aw man I'm still at 2/6. I bet you all have acceptances coming your way! My 167/3.3x is probably gunna get me WL/dinged & BC was one of my top choices :(
+1
+2, im stuck at 1/27.
Last edited by freaknroll on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I emailed about when I will receive Agora credentials and $$$ news a couple days ago with no response yet :( anyone that is non URM hear about $$$ yet? Anyone get Agora info yet?

hurricane12345

New

Post by hurricane12345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

lrslayer wrote:I emailed about when I will receive Agora credentials and $$$ news a couple days ago with no response yet :( anyone that is non URM hear about $$$ yet? Anyone get Agora info yet?
No and nope. The waiting sucks. Very interested to hear what the admissions office says when they get back to you.

confusedlaw

Silver

Post by confusedlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Stuck at 1223 with 167 3.7

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:00 pm

hurricane12345 wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I emailed about when I will receive Agora credentials and $$$ news a couple days ago with no response yet :( anyone that is non URM hear about $$$ yet? Anyone get Agora info yet?
No and nope. The waiting sucks. Very interested to hear what the admissions office says when they get back to you.
i will report back if they ever email me :)

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Finally some movement, just updated to 2/10.

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

lrslayer wrote:
hurricane12345 wrote:
Also interested in this. I remember reading in some of the materials when the Agora information was released, but I honestly forget when it said. (Guess I'm off to hunt for it now.)

Definitely let us know, though, please!

Edit: That was easier than I thought. On the admitted students page (and in the packet), it says on the Financial Aid sheet. Merit scholarships were supposed to start going out in January. Need based aid letters are going to start going out early March. Since this is what you can view on Agora, I'm guessing that is when we can access it. However, obviously their email response will be more accurate than the mass mailing information!

hurricane12345

New

Post by hurricane12345 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I think both merit and need based awards show up on Agora

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 pm

landla wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
hurricane12345 wrote:
Also interested in this. I remember reading in some of the materials when the Agora information was released, but I honestly forget when it said. (Guess I'm off to hunt for it now.)

Definitely let us know, though, please!

Edit: That was easier than I thought. On the admitted students page (and in the packet), it says on the Financial Aid sheet. Merit scholarships were supposed to start going out in January. Need based aid letters are going to start going out early March. Since this is what you can view on Agora, I'm guessing that is when we can access it. However, obviously their email response will be more accurate than the mass mailing information!
"Agora ...begins in early March. The Public
Service Scholarship committee has begun its review process, .... applicants
may begin receiving ...status in the coming weeks...."

tadlbb

Bronze

Post by tadlbb » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Held in December, updated to UR 2/10. 3.7/168.

pedroia

New

Post by pedroia » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:59 am

tadlbb wrote:Held in December, updated to UR 2/10. 3.7/168.
I have very similar numbers to you, and to confusedlaw (and like him/her, I am stuck on 12/23 still!). I don't know if they're doing YP for people with numbers a bit above their range assuming they'll get in at higher ranked schools, or if there's something in each of our applications that might have come across poorly despite our credentials which in themselves would ostensibly qualify us for admission (less likely, I'd think). Or maybe they have to be cautious about the number of 168's they admit because they know they'll have to offer $$ and can't afford to do so for everyone. I really have no idea! Anyone have thoughts? It's funny that there are 3 of us with similar stats (on a relatively unfrequented message board) who are on the high end of their range who have been deliberately set aside for a few months now....

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 am

pedroia wrote:
I have very similar numbers to you, and to confusedlaw (and like him/her, I am stuck on 12/23 still!). I don't know if they're doing YP for people with numbers a bit above their range assuming they'll get in at higher ranked schools, or if there's something in each of our applications that might have come across poorly despite our credentials which in themselves would ostensibly qualify us for admission (less likely, I'd think). Or maybe they have to be cautious about the number of 168's they admit because they know they'll have to offer $$ and can't afford to do so for everyone. I really have no idea! Anyone have thoughts? It's funny that there are 3 of us with similar stats (on a relatively unfrequented message board) who are on the high end of their range who have been deliberately set aside for a few months now....
I don't know exactly how true this is, but I was a BC undergrad, and I know a few readers at BC Law. They definitely YP strong applicants. Unless you specifically mentioned something about why BC is awesome and you just have to go there, they're likely to hold your decision, thinking you'll withdraw to accept an offer elsewhere. And if they are anything like undergrad, they definitely don't give a lot of $$ to entice those stronger applicants to stay. Take that as you will, it's just what I've gathered from talking to different people at the law school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to you all though! I hope you make it in!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 am

Updated from UR 2/6 to 2/10.

aad05001

New

Post by aad05001 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

I went complete 1/23 and have yet to see any movement. I'm at their 25% for LSAT and over their 75% for GPA, with 3 years of somewhat relevant W/E. Also a MA resident.

Questions:

1.) Is the fact that I haven't updated a bad thing (its been 3 weeks)/ has anyone that applied as late in the cycle as me seen movement.
2.) Does the fact I haven't updated mean they haven't looked at my app yet.

I mean BC is my top choice, and I figured the fact that my LSAT isn't that strong it would be pretty easy to reject/waitlist (God willing) sooner than this. If anyone has anything to add, please do so, I'm new to the forum and everyone on here seems to know what they're talking about.

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 am

1/13 complete. Still no movement.

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:15 am

aad05001 wrote:I went complete 1/23 and have yet to see any movement. I'm at their 25% for LSAT and over their 75% for GPA, with 3 years of somewhat relevant W/E. Also a MA resident.

Questions:

1.) Is the fact that I haven't updated a bad thing (its been 3 weeks)/ has anyone that applied as late in the cycle as me seen movement.

I mean BC is my top choice, and I figured the fact that my LSAT isn't that strong it would be pretty easy to reject/waitlist (God willing) sooner than this. If anyone has anything to add, please do so, I'm new to the forum and everyone on here seems to know what they're talking about.
Hey, I know some people at BC who said that they review files in order of submission date unless it's an auto-admit. I went complete on 12/6 and didn't update to my second complete until 2/2. They said they are trying to move through the apps quicker now though, so hopefully you won't have to wait so long! Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pedroia

New

Post by pedroia » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 am

martorem wrote:
pedroia wrote:
I don't know exactly how true this is, but I was a BC undergrad, and I know a few readers at BC Law. They definitely YP strong applicants. Unless you specifically mentioned something about why BC is awesome and you just have to go there, they're likely to hold your decision, thinking you'll withdraw to accept an offer elsewhere. And if they are anything like undergrad, they definitely don't give a lot of $$ to entice those stronger applicants to stay. Take that as you will, it's just what I've gathered from talking to different people at the law school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to you all though! I hope you make it in!
Thanks man that's really helpful - I suspected they did YP - not just from my own experience but from those of people with better numbers than mine on this thread - so it's nice to have it confirmed and know for sure. It's frustrating for me though because BC really is at the top of my list for schools to go to, especially with some $$ (and I do think law school is pretty different from undergrad in that respect, incidentally). So the question is what to do now. Is anyone who didn't write a Why BC essay thinking of sending a LOCI now, before getting WL'ed? I know that sounds weird, but it also seems foolish not to express additional (and genuine) interest if we know that's something they're concerned about. Thanks again for this response martorem. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

barbaraeliz

Bronze

Post by barbaraeliz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am

aad05001 wrote:I went complete 1/23 and have yet to see any movement. I'm at their 25% for LSAT and over their 75% for GPA, with 3 years of somewhat relevant W/E. Also a MA resident.

Questions:

I am in the same boat as you, just not a MA resident ( would this have any bearing anyway, as BC is not a public school?) BC is one of my top 3 schools, as well and I have been UR since 1/19/12. BTW, are you URM?

aad05001

New

Post by aad05001 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

Wait a second, did people write a Why BC essay?

I wrote one for my application (I thought it was pretty good and touched upon an outside interest and how it would be amplified by a BC legal education) but there was no place to put it. The "Optional" part was something about overcoming socioeconomic, or cultural circumstances, which I haven't.

Did people just attach their Optional Essay there? Should I notify the admissions department and send it it asking them to consider it part of my application?

freaknroll

Bronze

Post by freaknroll » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:23 am

pedroia wrote:
martorem wrote:
pedroia wrote:
Thanks man that's really helpful - I suspected they did YP - not just from my own experience but from those of people with better numbers than mine on this thread - so it's nice to have it confirmed and know for sure. It's frustrating for me though because BC really is at the top of my list for schools to go to, especially with some $$ (and I do think law school is pretty different from undergrad in that respect, incidentally). So the question is what to do now. Is anyone who didn't write a Why BC essay thinking of sending a LOCI now, before getting WL'ed? I know that sounds weird, but it also seems foolish not to express additional (and genuine) interest if we know that's something they're concerned about. Thanks again for this response martorem. Anyone else have thoughts about this?
I have thought about doing it, and probably will by the end of the week. I sent a LOCI to BU last week as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:27 am

aad05001 wrote:Wait a second, did people write a Why BC essay?

I wrote one for my application (I thought it was pretty good and touched upon an outside interest and how it would be amplified by a BC legal education) but there was no place to put it. The "Optional" part was something about overcoming socioeconomic, or cultural circumstances, which I haven't.

Did people just attach their Optional Essay there? Should I notify the admissions department and send it it asking them to consider it part of my application?
I hope I didn't confuse/scare people! For the Why BC part, I meant like catering your PS to BC. I don't think there was a spot to put it on the application. If you're seriously concerned, a LOCI might help...I suppose I can email and ask...I'll try and see and get back to you guys. Don't panic!

martorem

Bronze

Post by martorem » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

martorem wrote:

I hope I didn't confuse/scare people! For the Why BC part, I meant like catering your PS to BC. I don't think there was a spot to put it on the application. If you're seriously concerned, a LOCI might help...I suppose I can email and ask...I'll try and see and get back to you guys. Don't panic!
Wow, she's fast:

"Funny you write, I was about to write you at lunch to ask if you heard anything. At the moment, they are asking me to re-read pending applications that were first read in December, sometimes I am the fourth reader!!! If I were you I would write a note to Rita Jones, dean of admission and mention how much you want to come to BC and what it means to you. I noticed sometimes in the files, there are letters sent after the application telling us how much they want to come,it can't hurt!!!"

Do it up!

barbaraeliz

Bronze

Post by barbaraeliz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am

Now what to say... :?

pedroia

New

Post by pedroia » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

martorem wrote:
martorem wrote:

Wow, she's fast:

"Funny you write, I was about to write you at lunch to ask if you heard anything. At the moment, they are asking me to re-read pending applications that were first read in December, sometimes I am the fourth reader!!! If I were you I would write a note to Rita Jones, dean of admission and mention how much you want to come to BC and what it means to you. I noticed sometimes in the files, there are letters sent after the application telling us how much they want to come,it can't hurt!!!"

Do it up!
Martorem, you are fantastic. Thanks so much for this. So helpful!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”