Santa Clara 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oopseedaisy

Re: Santa Clara 2012

Postby oopseedaisy » Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 am

I just got a general e-mail from the financial aid office saying they will forward my e-mail along to the director of financial aid. No other response as yet...

fashiongirl wrote:Were you successful at getting money?

surefire88

Postby surefire88 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 am

So I was officially dinged back in late March, no wait-list, just a flat out rejection letter. Now, I just received an email from Admissions today telling me that they reconsidered my app and offering me $13k/year (not sure what the stips are). Anyone else have anything similar happen? I was very surprised and not sure what to think of it since I'm committed to attending U Oregon right now. I'm assuming a bunch of people that were originally offered admission didn't end up matriculating.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed May 09, 2012 10:00 am

surefire88 wrote:So I was officially dinged back in late March, no wait-list, just a flat out rejection letter. Now, I just received an email from Admissions today telling me that they reconsidered my app and offering me $13k/year (not sure what the stips are). Anyone else have anything similar happen? I was very surprised and not sure what to think of it since I'm committed to attending U Oregon right now. I'm assuming a bunch of people that were originally offered admission didn't end up matriculating.

Wow, never heard of that before. Wish that would happen with me and USD! I'd say that $13k a year is generous.. I can't even get them to budge on giving me ANY money.

Jaytray

Postby Jaytray » Wed May 09, 2012 11:52 am

surefire88 wrote:So I was officially dinged back in late March, no wait-list, just a flat out rejection letter. Now, I just received an email from Admissions today telling me that they reconsidered my app and offering me $13k/year (not sure what the stips are). Anyone else have anything similar happen? I was very surprised and not sure what to think of it since I'm committed to attending U Oregon right now. I'm assuming a bunch of people that were originally offered admission didn't end up matriculating.

LOL. That's hilarious/terrifying. If that's true, you need to report this to abovethelaw.com

Fashiongirl, you are missing the point here big time. When people keep telling you stuff about this school instead of thinking "Boo, why didn't I get that?" you should be thinking "Thank God these people told me that before I potentially ruined my life." Based on info in the past couple of pages in this thread, this school is a trainwreck. Run.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 pm

I withdrew from Santa Clara. I hope somebody who doesn't mind earthquakes gets my spot.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed May 09, 2012 1:24 pm

I ended up being offered quadruple the scholarship offer from a T20 as a did from Santa Clara (#96). Spoke with admissions and they upped it from 6k to 9k.... Not even in the conversation at this point. Will be withdrawing today. Good luck to everyone!

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Jaytray wrote:

LOL. That's hilarious/terrifying. If that's true, you need to report this to abovethelaw.com

Fashiongirl, you are missing the point here big time. When people keep telling you stuff about this school instead of thinking "Boo, why didn't I get that?" you should be thinking "Thank God these people told me that before I potentially ruined my life." Based on info in the past couple of pages in this thread, this school is a trainwreck. Run.

I don't need you telling me what I should do or what I should be thinking. If I was asking for advice about whether to go to this school or not, your reply would be welcomed. However this is the Santa Clara 2012 thread and I know you mean well, but I'm not asking for your advice.

organic muskrat

Postby organic muskrat » Wed May 09, 2012 3:17 pm

nonetheless, it sounds like solvent advice. =)

miy

Postby miy » Wed May 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Well, SCU has been nothing short of NBCsitcom-worthy entertainment. Glad my interests sorted themselves out, haha.

darkphoenix323

Postby darkphoenix323 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 pm

I just finished up 2L at SCU and I am willing to answer any questions about SCU, summer employment, post-grad prospects, etc.

But also, check this out:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/worst-law-schools-employment-statistics.html

This is pretty much spot on.

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT believe ANY of the employment statistics the school gives out. They are creative writing, plain and simple.

noogooyen

Postby noogooyen » Wed May 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Do you regret choosing scu?

darkphoenix323

Postby darkphoenix323 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:19 pm

noogooyen wrote:Do you regret choosing scu?

I would have to say yes, I do regret attending SCU. Not solely because of the employment statistics. I knew I wasn't going to a T-14 and never expected to be handed a job. But SCU has just been a nightmare. Every fall the school has been late disbursing loan refunds, which has placed me in financial binds. The staff that handle financial aid and administrative issues are simply atrocious. I had comically horrendous professors for three of my doctrinal courses 1L. Despite all of the school's self-proclaimed accolades about being one of the most diverse law schools in the country, the student body is woefully homogenous. The Law Career services department is a joke. The law library and the law school buildings are sad, low-tech relics of the 70's, despite the school being marketed at the high-tech law school of Silicon Valley. COL in Santa Clara/San Jose is insane. That being said, I have networked, done well in classes, participated in moot court, etc., and have tried to make the most of my time at SCU. But I truly feel like I'm just a number to the school. Like once they got my money, I no longer mattered. If I had to redo everything, I would have sat out and retaken the LSAT and attempted to go to a better school. SCU is pretty on the outside and rotten on the inside.

But, above all, please don't let any part of your decision whether or not to attend SCU be based on employment statistics. They are just false. I know numerous people who graduated my 1L year who are STILL unemployed. Most of the 3L's I know who are graduating this year have no jobs lined up. So unless you have advanced post-grad degrees in a hard science and are using them to pursue IP, you will not be making 160K, if you ca get a job at all.

I'm not saying SCU is the most horrible school, because I am sure most TTT are pretty similar. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you commit.

VanillaCola

Postby VanillaCola » Wed May 09, 2012 11:01 pm

darkphoenix323 wrote:I just finished up 2L at SCU and I am willing to answer any questions about SCU, summer employment, post-grad prospects, etc.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/worst-law-schools-employment-statistics.html

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT believe ANY of the employment statistics the school gives out. They are creative writing, plain and simple.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but you have to be careful of your sources.

First of all that's a blog, one of the least reputable sources of information. The link they provide as a source for that list doesn't seem much more reputable than the blog that linked it.

Second, these are UNDERemployment statistics. It can be very misleading, especially if someone quickly reads it as unemployment.

That said you provide some very important advice.

darkphoenix323

Postby darkphoenix323 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

VanillaCola wrote:
darkphoenix323 wrote:I just finished up 2L at SCU and I am willing to answer any questions about SCU, summer employment, post-grad prospects, etc.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but you have to be careful of your sources.

First of all that's a blog, one of the least reputable sources of information. The link they provide as a source for that list doesn't seem much more reputable than the blog that linked it.

Second, these are UNDERemployment statistics. It can be very misleading, especially if someone quickly reads it as unemployment.

Here is the page I meant to link to:

http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1644:employment-scores-the-fracked-fifteen&catid=42:news&Itemid=71

This breaks the numbers down a little further.

I know I have to be careful with my sources. The reason I even linked to this article is because it confirms what I have seen in my two years at SCU. And I am far more inclined to believe LST's statistics than anything provided by the school.

We received an email from the school today, telling us they were contesting the ranking with LST (which has subsequently been pulled from LST's website pending "discussion" with the school). However, even with the numbers SCU thinks it should have, we're still among the schools with the lowest employment scores... somewhere in line with Whittier and Florida Coastal.

And while there is a distinction between underemployed and unemployed, it still equals a difficult financial situation for recent SCU grads.

Best of luck to those still deciding. So as not to hijack this thread, I've started another thread to answer any further questions about SCU:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184634&p=5488516#p5488516

matth213

Postby matth213 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:17 am

darkphoenix323 wrote:
VanillaCola wrote:

http://www.constitutionaldaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1644:employment-scores-the-fracked-fifteen&catid=42:news&Itemid=71

I know I have to be careful with my sources. The reason I even linked to this article is because it confirms what I have seen in my two years at SCU. And I am far more inclined to believe LST's statistics than anything provided by the school.

We received an email from the school today, telling us they were contesting the ranking with LST (which has subsequently been pulled from LST's website pending "discussion" with the school). However, even with the numbers SCU thinks it should have, we're still among the schools with the lowest employment scores... somewhere in line with Whittier and Florida Coastal.

And while there is a distinction between underemployed and unemployed, it still equals a difficult financial situation for recent SCU grads.

Best of luck to those still deciding. So as not to hijack this thread, I've started another thread to answer any further questions about SCU:

From the constitutional daily link, it looks like someone from SCU administration posted the following comment:

"
Julia Yaffee • 7 hours ago • Edit
Law School Transparency used incomplete data when they initially applied their algorithm to determine an "Unemployment Score" for Santa Clara. We are providing them additional employment data for the class of 2010 and expect them to post a revised - and more accurate score early next week
"

I am sure your observations are correct; however, I would like to see how SCU and LST address and resolve the issue before passing complete judgement. I am an admit at SCU with a pretty good scholly, and will certainly follow up with them on this issue at their admitted students reception on Friday.

SoCow

Postby SoCow » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 am

hello all, i'm also a current 2L at SCU. Just thought it would be good to provide another perspective.

Although I can't say that I absolutely love the school, I do not despise it or regret my decision. Let's face it, if you're considering SCU, then it's very likely you really don't have any better options out there. It is what it is. It's not a tier 1 power house nor is it a TTT. Is a majority of my class employed? of course not, and that is how I suspect it is at any other school that is similarly ranked. I would say about 80% of the class is either unemployed or have shitty "internships" at small firms or tech companies. I was fortunate to do well enough in my classes and put in the grind outside the classroom to secure a non-OCI job that pays well over the summer. I had a tough time finding a job even though i was near top of my class and on law reveiw. It wasn't because SCU is a horrible TTT that firms stay away from. Rather it is because there's no jobs out there, period. However, I was able to secure interviews and received a few offers when a firm was actually seeking to fill a position. Basically, if you can get into Hastings then I woudl suggest you go. But if it's between USF or McGeorge or something, then i'd go with SCU.

As for the professors, I had a great experience with mine so far. It's probably really hit or miss, depending on teaching and learning preferences. I also feel like i've walked away from class with a good understanding of the subject and there have been some engaging discussions in the classes. there are occasional dumb questions and tangents here and there. but overall i think the professors are quite capable.

I got to agree with the facilities. I mean are you kidding me? What the heck are they doing with our tuition money. The library and law building are not even worthy for many community college campuses. teh worse part is that there's constantly new undergrad buildings popping up left and right! oh well, until they get a new library, a lot of students just use the undergrad library which is quite nice.

darkphoenix323

Postby darkphoenix323 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

matth213 wrote:
darkphoenix323 wrote:
VanillaCola wrote:

From the constitutional daily link, it looks like someone from SCU administration posted the following comment:

"
Julia Yaffee • 7 hours ago • Edit
Law School Transparency used incomplete data when they initially applied their algorithm to determine an "Unemployment Score" for Santa Clara. We are providing them additional employment data for the class of 2010 and expect them to post a revised - and more accurate score early next week
"

I am sure your observations are correct; however, I would like to see how SCU and LST address and resolve the issue before passing complete judgement. I am an admit at SCU with a pretty good scholly, and will certainly follow up with them on this issue at their admitted students reception on Friday.

I will tell you that they they have released the corrected employment numbers to current students via an email from Julia Yaffee and they are, while not as bad as LST reported, dismal.

But, please do bring this up at admitted students day. I would be very interested to see how they spin this to the new admits.

quiksilver21af

Postby quiksilver21af » Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey does anyone know what good academic standing is. I just received a $13,000 scholly with that stip. Wondering how hard it is to maintain. Thanks guys.

2012lawhopeful

Postby 2012lawhopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi. I will be going to SCU in the fall. I'm from the Bay Area and people have high regards for SCU law graduates. Co-workers and others speak well of their friends who have graduated from law school at SCU. So, I'm excited to go to SCU in the fall.

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:59 pm

2012lawhopeful wrote:Hi. I will be going to SCU in the fall. I'm from the Bay Area and people have high regards for SCU law graduates. Co-workers and others speak well of their friends who have graduated from law school at SCU. So, I'm excited to go to SCU in the fall.

I'm from the bay area too.. moving up from San Diego. See ya there!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”