Santa Clara 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
noogooyen

New

Re: Santa Clara 2012

Post by noogooyen » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 pm

when the status is changed to "decision rendered," are you notified via email of the status change?

Need to hear from them before the 4/15 seat deposits!

VanillaCola

New

Post by VanillaCola » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 pm

noogooyen wrote:when the status is changed to "decision rendered," are you notified via email of the status change?

Need to hear from them before the 4/15 seat deposits!
No notification via email, but it should say at the top of the status checker if you got in once the decision has been rendered.

Also, the seat deposit due date for me was May 1st for the first deposit.

quiksilver21af

New

Post by quiksilver21af » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Just went from in review 10/xx/2011 to in committee 4/10/2012... Too bad I already committed somewhere else but ill take my decision since I payed the application fee.

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 am

Admitted yesterday. Packet in the mail, guys did $$ come in the initial packet?

Thanks,

T

mertle

New

Post by mertle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:35 pm

I didn't pay my initial deposit on April 2 because I'm considering other schools but I received an email last week stating that SCU will go over my file again and offer more financial aid and has extended my deposit due date to April 27. Had anyone else received this email and have you been awarded a significant amount of $$ more? I would consider SCU if they offered a good amount more money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bulldoglaw

New

Post by bulldoglaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I wonder when/if I'll ever hear anything from Santa Clara...I went complete 11/21, In Committee 12/20, held for second review in January, went back to In Committee 3/17. Nothing yet... :(

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 am

Weird stuff going on.. I have been in committee since 2/7 and then the date changed to 4/14... a Saturday. Has anyone gotten a decision after the dates have changed?

I'm seriously considering SCU now since my family lives up there. I can live with them for free. I'm studying to retake the LSAT in June and I was going to reapply to USD but I'm a bit over this applying process...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Weird stuff going on.. I have been in committee since 2/7 and then the date changed to 4/14... a Saturday. Has anyone gotten a decision after the dates have changed?

I'm seriously considering SCU now since my family lives up there. I can live with them for free. I'm studying to retake the LSAT in June and I was going to reapply to USD but I'm a bit over this applying process...
Mine changed on 4/14 then it said admitted later that day.

oopseedaisy

New

Post by oopseedaisy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Same thing happened to me.
fashiongirl wrote:Weird stuff going on.. I have been in committee since 2/7 and then the date changed to 4/14... a Saturday. Has anyone gotten a decision after the dates have changed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Think these new updates are a good thing. I updated on 4/3 from being in committee 11/16 and was accepted on 4/13.

So hopefully good news soon

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Has anyone committed to SCU yet? Funny thing is I was born and raised in Santa Clara but have never visited the campus. Would like to hear if anyone has visited and their thoughts.

Would a Santa Clara degree be beneficial in San Diego if I wanted to work here in the future? Not talking about biglaw or anything... I want to work at a company in-house as legal counsel

kokorozukai

New

Post by kokorozukai » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:14 pm

fashiongirl wrote:Has anyone committed to SCU yet? Funny thing is I was born and raised in Santa Clara but have never visited the campus. Would like to hear if anyone has visited and their thoughts.

Would a Santa Clara degree be beneficial in San Diego if I wanted to work here in the future? Not talking about biglaw or anything... I want to work at a company in-house as legal counsel
You would have a better chance with biglaw than in-house counsel. In-house counsel jobs are extremely rare and usually only come to people with years of post-law school experience. And to be honest, it will be hard to land ANY legal job with a Santa Clara JD, let alone a job in SD, where there are not many legal jobs to begin with. Santa Clara Law has seriously depressing employment statistics...you should really only go if you get a substantial amount of money or plan to work in the immediate area. If you have an advanced science/technical degree, and are interested in IP, then it may also be a good school if you can pull of a good class ranking and/or network well.

In short, no, a Santa Clara JD will NOT be beneficial to you in SD at all.

pillowpet

New

Post by pillowpet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 am

fashiongirl wrote:Has anyone committed to SCU yet? Funny thing is I was born and raised in Santa Clara but have never visited the campus. Would like to hear if anyone has visited and their thoughts.

If you plan on going to SCU then you should expect to be in the Bay Area for a few years (maybe your entire life?). So, I would not recommend going to SCU if you seriously plan on going to San Diego in the near future. This is the case for many law schools, not just SCU. I have a lot of friends who went down to Loyola/USD/Pepp with plans on coming back north and were not able to. Also as the above poster stated, SD is a tiny legal market, and even USD kids have a very hard time finding jobs there.

the campus: it is a nice small campus. however, the law school buildings are really outdated. I was told that there are plansfor a new law building in teh future, but i'm not sure if it'll be in the next 3 years though. The campus, as a whole, is beautiful. they have a brand new "undergrad" library which is pretty modern. The student who gave me a tour told me that most of his classmates study there instead of the law library, which i can see happening since it is a whole lot nicer and right next to the law buildings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

Hmm.. thanks for the insight. Well, I have family there and I wouldn't mind living there. I just have to convince my BF to move up north from SD where he is already established. He said he could see himself in the bay in the future so I may take the plunge. I was officially admitted via status checker yesterday.

Still debating on whether to retake in June and reapply to USD and SCU as a back-up this Oct.

Has anyone applied to SCU twice in a row and gotten admitted twice?

Anyone commit to attend for sure yet?

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 pm

It's weird how around this time last cycle the Santa Clara thread had over 30 pages! Now it's deaddddd

Jaytray

New

Post by Jaytray » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:40 pm

fashiongirl wrote:It's weird how around this time last cycle the Santa Clara thread had over 30 pages! Now it's deaddddd
The fact that they sent out a "Hey guys, just kidding about the deposit deadline. Oh, and if you want more money just let us know" Email pretty much says it all.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Jaytray wrote:
fashiongirl wrote:It's weird how around this time last cycle the Santa Clara thread had over 30 pages! Now it's deaddddd
The fact that they sent out a "Hey guys, just kidding about the deposit deadline. Oh, and if you want more money just let us know" Email pretty much says it all.
Oh I never got that email. Lame.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kokorozukai

New

Post by kokorozukai » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Don't forget that in the most recent employment stats, only 14% of Santa Clara grads were employed as full-time practicing attorneys =(

Go to lawschooltransparency.com and look at the NLP Form for Santa Clara Law. It's a scary reality for anyone considering SCU....almost 50% in part-time jobs, and another 18% unemployed.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Super long wait but I'm in FT as of 4/17 on status tracker. :lol: No package in the mail yet.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:35 pm

kokorozukai wrote:
Don't forget that in the most recent employment stats, only 14% of Santa Clara grads were employed as full-time practicing attorneys =(

Go to lawschooltransparency.com and look at the NLP Form for Santa Clara Law. It's a scary reality for anyone considering SCU....almost 50% in part-time jobs, and another 18% unemployed.
There's got to be an error in that data... 14% is practically worse than every other school in the nation. I briefly looked at most of the TTT schools for kicks to see what numbers they were putting up and they all report 40-50% FT legal. 14% makes absolutely no sense at all even for a school barely in the T2...
I'd take that data with a grain of salt.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:49 pm

ashen wrote:Super long wait but I'm in FT as of 4/17 on status tracker. :lol: No package in the mail yet.
congrats!!! are you thinking of attending?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

naw

Bronze

Post by naw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Withdrew from school and consideration for the full-tuition scholarship. Really hoping this helps someone else out.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Withdrawing this week. Hope someone else who is awesome gets my money and spot. I hope is name is Maximilian. :)

kokorozukai

New

Post by kokorozukai » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

ashen wrote: There's got to be an error in that data... 14% is practically worse than every other school in the nation. I briefly looked at most of the TTT schools for kicks to see what numbers they were putting up and they all report 40-50% FT legal. 14% makes absolutely no sense at all even for a school barely in the T2...
I'd take that data with a grain of salt.
lol...did you see the NALP report? The data is even consistent with what Santa Clara Law reports on their own website, so there is nothing that should lead you to believe there is a mistake. Overall, 60% of students ended up in part-time positions, only 17% employed full time (13% of which were actually attorneys) and then the remaining 20% unemployed.

Anyways, I think you basically explained to yourself why SCU is a waste of 3 years.

estrellaz

New

Post by estrellaz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:23 pm

Admitted full-time today after being in committee 5 different times

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”