William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
magicbunny
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby magicbunny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Me too! not so excited about the one-day train ride though...

But hopefully it's worthy :)

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I like Amtrak. It's certainly roomier than a bus/plane, and if you can grab the window seat the view is awesome. Plus if you're traveling with friends you can all grab a table in the dining car and just chill the whole time.

User avatar
magicbunny
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby magicbunny » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah but not if you're coming from Chicago... that means depressing cornfields for the majority of the trip :(

The dining car/lounge car is certainly awesome though

Ogresmash
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Ogresmash » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:52 am

Hey all,

I got into W & M with an 8K/year scholarship, and I'm OOS. I just wanted to know if anyone has had success in negotiating scholarships? I'd like to get the full 10K difference between in and out of state, which makes the college more doable with my GI Bill. So, again, anyone had luck getting a little more?

gatorapplicant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby gatorapplicant » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 am

Ogresmash wrote:Hey all,

I got into W & M with an 8K/year scholarship, and I'm OOS. I just wanted to know if anyone has had success in negotiating scholarships? I'd like to get the full 10K difference between in and out of state, which makes the college more doable with my GI Bill. So, again, anyone had luck getting a little more?


i did, they were very nice about it

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:49 am

Do state schools tend to give bigger scholarships to out of state students?

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:53 pm

I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .

KPHOOPS24
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby KPHOOPS24 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:47 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .



You should probably go in state.

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 pm

KPHOOPS24 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .



You should probably go in state.


Well, that isn't the topic that I asked about in general, I just asked about fellowships, my mind is already made up on WM. I'm not a fan of the state of Florida nor any of the schools, so moot point; but thanks.

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby hichvichwoh » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:18 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:
KPHOOPS24 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .



You should probably go in state.


Well, that isn't the topic that I asked about in general, I just asked about fellowships, my mind is already made up on WM. I'm not a fan of the state of Florida nor any of the schools, so moot point; but thanks.


I think what he meant, (giving him the benefit of the doubt here) is that you have a better chance of requesting they give you an OOS waiver than asking about a fellowship.

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:37 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:
KPHOOPS24 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .



You should probably go in state.


Well, that isn't the topic that I asked about in general, I just asked about fellowships, my mind is already made up on WM. I'm not a fan of the state of Florida nor any of the schools, so moot point; but thanks.


I think what he meant, (giving him the benefit of the doubt here) is that you have a better chance of requesting they give you an OOS waiver than asking about a fellowship.



Ohhhhhhh pardon my misunderstanding! Yeah the OOS waiver is what I already got and I kind of wanted to up the amount of aid I got with a fellowship, prob should have clarified.

KPHOOPS24
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby KPHOOPS24 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

You should probably go in state.[/quote]

Well, that isn't the topic that I asked about in general, I just asked about fellowships, my mind is already made up on WM. I'm not a fan of the state of Florida nor any of the schools, so moot point; but thanks.[/quote]

I think what he meant, (giving him the benefit of the doubt here) is that you have a better chance of requesting they give you an OOS waiver than asking about a fellowship.[/quote]


Ohhhhhhh pardon my misunderstanding! Yeah the OOS waiver is what I already got and I kind of wanted to up the amount of aid I got with a fellowship, prob should have clarified.[/quote]

No I am sorry. I was lazy and didn't elaborate fully. :)

User avatar
ap613
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ap613 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:14 am

NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .


Are you talking about the fellowships you apply for? (Election law, Tech, Bill of Rights Institute) Those ones you could have applied for with your original app and you can apply after you're accepted but they've already made at least some offers for them so I don't know if they're filled or what. If you're talking about the fellowships that are essentially just W&M's version of a scholarship where people work in the library or whatever you can ask but I'm guessing they would have offered you that with the OOS waiver if they were going to.

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 pm

ap613 wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:I initially hadn't received any money from WM and so I sent an e-mail basically saying that WM was my top choice but I couldn't afford it b/c I'm out of state. They were great and responded within a day and I received 10,000/year. Would it be taboo if, in a thank you email, I mentioned something about fellowships? I'll be attending next year, but would hurt to ask to be considered additionally for fellowships as they come about?

Let me know what you guys think .


Are you talking about the fellowships you apply for? (Election law, Tech, Bill of Rights Institute) Those ones you could have applied for with your original app and you can apply after you're accepted but they've already made at least some offers for them so I don't know if they're filled or what. If you're talking about the fellowships that are essentially just W&M's version of a scholarship where people work in the library or whatever you can ask but I'm guessing they would have offered you that with the OOS waiver if they were going to.


Yeah, that's what I figured (that they would have offered it). I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Does anyone know of anyone that accepted the offer/paid the deposit and received extra financial aid afterwards?

B986
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby B986 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Please hurry up, W&M! How can it take almost 5 months to review an application? I think I am definitely within their range, too. I just want to know where I will be living in a few months' time. Is that so much to ask?

User avatar
EMH99
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby EMH99 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

B986 wrote:Please hurry up, W&M! How can it take almost 5 months to review an application? I think I am definitely within their range, too. I just want to know where I will be living in a few months' time. Is that so much to ask?


+1000.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby wvu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm

EMH99 wrote:
B986 wrote:Please hurry up, W&M! How can it take almost 5 months to review an application? I think I am definitely within their range, too. I just want to know where I will be living in a few months' time. Is that so much to ask?


+1000.

LawStudent89
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby LawStudent89 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 pm

wvuchip wrote:
EMH99 wrote:
B986 wrote:Please hurry up, W&M! How can it take almost 5 months to review an application? I think I am definitely within their range, too. I just want to know where I will be living in a few months' time. Is that so much to ask?


+1000.


Last year, March 18th was the day that basically everyone heard who was still waiting. So I had high hopes for today. I should stop having high hopes.

_jack
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby _jack » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm

LawStudent89 wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
EMH99 wrote:
B986 wrote:Please hurry up, W&M! How can it take almost 5 months to review an application? I think I am definitely within their range, too. I just want to know where I will be living in a few months' time. Is that so much to ask?


+1000.


Last year, March 18th was the day that basically everyone heard who was still waiting. So I had high hopes for today. I should stop having high hopes.


It could still happen! Don't give up hope yet - for all of us.

User avatar
AndShe__Was
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby AndShe__Was » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

Anyone going to visit next weekend?

User avatar
Nammertat
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby Nammertat » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:46 pm

AndShe__Was wrote:Anyone going to visit next weekend?


I'll be there Friday, but am going to the W&L ASW Sat/Sun.

User avatar
ap613
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby ap613 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

AndShe__Was wrote:Anyone going to visit next weekend?


I'm going, can't wait

User avatar
AndShe__Was
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby AndShe__Was » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

ap613 wrote:
AndShe__Was wrote:Anyone going to visit next weekend?


I'm going, can't wait


Me too! Can't wait to finally see this place. Hope it's love at first sight.

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I wish I was going :( I just visited two weeks ago during Spring Break, everyone have fun!

honeynutt
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:17 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby honeynutt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:59 pm

AndShe__Was wrote:Anyone going to visit next weekend?


I'm going! Not looking forward to the long trip from the West Coast, but excited to finally see the school.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”