William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
droctii

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Postby droctii » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 am

kroakstool wrote:Just took a tour of the school with a 3L. It was great. The small town feel is nice and she answered all of my questions. She seems to love the school and the town. William and Mary may be moving into the lead.

Got accepted earlier in the week. Can you give a few more details on what you saw, heard or learned on the visit?

kroakstool

Postby kroakstool » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 am

droctii wrote:
kroakstool wrote:Just took a tour of the school with a 3L. It was great. The small town feel is nice and she answered all of my questions. She seems to love the school and the town. William and Mary may be moving into the lead.

Got accepted earlier in the week. Can you give a few more details on what you saw, heard or learned on the visit?

Just took a tour of the school. Really peaceful. Seems like a great place to focus and actually study as opposed to being distracted by parties. Short walk to colonial Williamsburg and there are a bunch of cool shops and restaurants. THe library was pretty nice and had a lot of study space. Also, everybody seemed to get along really well which is nice and everyone seemed involved with the school.

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:38 am

kroakstool wrote:
droctii wrote:

Just took a tour of the school. Really peaceful. Seems like a great place to focus and actually study as opposed to being distracted by parties. Short walk to colonial Williamsburg and there are a bunch of cool shops and restaurants. THe library was pretty nice and had a lot of study space. Also, everybody seemed to get along really well which is nice and everyone seemed involved with the school.

I just went today, too! Except I just drove there with a friend and looked around; I didn't get a tour with a student. The law school is cute and nice (I took pictures if anyone wants to see) and the Gradplex is literally a stone's throw away. I went to a few different apartment complexes in Williamsburg, and I found that to be the most disappointing part. Overpriced, no washer/dryer, and not very safe looking. While Colonial Williamsburg and the undergrad campus are beautiful, I'm skeptical about living off campus. ALSO, I went to the gym (Student Rec Center) and I was underwhelmed. I'm not trying to be a brat, but health and fitness is a big part of my life. I'm not trying to put W&M down; it's really just the surrounding area that I found disappointing.

I did see something directly across the street from the law school called "Campus Court" - they didn't have a phone number listed, and when I stopped to ask a student, she told me there was a number on the sign to call. NOPE. Does anyone have any information about this place?

droctii

Postby droctii » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:02 am

aeiouy wrote:
kroakstool wrote:
droctii wrote:

I just went today, too! Except I just drove there with a friend and looked around; I didn't get a tour with a student. The law school is cute and nice (I took pictures if anyone wants to see) and the Gradplex is literally a stone's throw away. I went to a few different apartment complexes in Williamsburg, and I found that to be the most disappointing part. Overpriced, no washer/dryer, and not very safe looking. While Colonial Williamsburg and the undergrad campus are beautiful, I'm skeptical about living off campus. ALSO, I went to the gym (Student Rec Center) and I was underwhelmed. I'm not trying to be a brat, but health and fitness is a big part of my life. I'm not trying to put W&M down; it's really just the surrounding area that I found disappointing.

I did see something directly across the street from the law school called "Campus Court" - they didn't have a phone number listed, and when I stopped to ask a student, she told me there was a number on the sign to call. NOPE. Does anyone have any information about this place?

Hmmm...seems like a mixed bag. What do you consider overpriced for housing? Also, can you post some of those pics?

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:15 am

droctii wrote:Hmmm...seems like a mixed bag. What do you consider overpriced for housing? Also, can you post some of those pics?

Well, keep in mind that I was just wandering around on my own. I'm sure I would have found better things faster if I had someone with me who knew the area. I am still keeping W&M on my list because in the end, I'm choosing the school because of the school, not because of a lackluster housing selection. I was looking for 1 bed/1 bath (I'm very picky about roommates), so that's why it was overpriced. For example, one place I looked at was $830, 1bed/1bath, only ground floor available (I would prefer an upper level for safety reasons), no washer and dryer, and the community laundromat was far enough away that I would have to drive from my complex. In addition, I was looking for student-heavy complexes, and they told me it's an even mix of students and "townies".

If you can rent a house/townhouse with roommates, your rent will be more than reasonable and you will be able to live in a nice place. This would be ideal for me, but I don't have a roommate to look for housing with.

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:39 am

Also, here's a direct link to an album of the few pictures I took there: http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o495/aeiouy22/

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 am

aeiouy wrote:
I went to a few different apartment complexes in Williamsburg, and I found that to be the most disappointing part. Overpriced, no washer/dryer, and not very safe looking.

I currently live in the Hampton Roads area...and I can assure you there are no unsafe areas in the Williamsburg area. Sure, there can be shady looking housing, but I would never call it unsafe. Only if you try to find housing in Newport News or Hampton will you run into "bad" areas.

As for overpriced housing, I've been looking at Williamsburg housing for a while, and I've come to a few conclusions. A one bed one bath apartment at a professionally managed complex will probably run you in at least the $750-850 range. However, these apartments tend to be relatively nice (that is, much better than what you were probably living in during undergrad). Yes, you can find cheaper housing. You need to look on Craigslist and other similar sites to find individual property owners that are renting out their houses or converted apartment houses. Their prices are usually a good $100+ cheaper than the managed complexes.

HTH people in decision making

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:05 pm

kaftka juice wrote:
aeiouy wrote:
I went to a few different apartment complexes in Williamsburg, and I found that to be the most disappointing part. Overpriced, no washer/dryer, and not very safe looking.

I currently live in the Hampton Roads area...and I can assure you there are no unsafe areas in the Williamsburg area. Sure, there can be shady looking housing, but I would never call it unsafe. Only if you try to find housing in Newport News or Hampton will you run into "bad" areas.

As for overpriced housing, I've been looking at Williamsburg housing for a while, and I've come to a few conclusions. A one bed one bath apartment at a professionally managed complex will probably run you in at least the $750-850 range. However, these apartments tend to be relatively nice (that is, much better than what you were probably living in during undergrad). Yes, you can find cheaper housing. You need to look on Craigslist and other similar sites to find individual property owners that are renting out their houses or converted apartment houses. Their prices are usually a good $100+ cheaper than the managed complexes.

Thank you for your input. I could only make that generalization based on the particular complexes I saw and on what one of the leasing agents told me. She said things like, "Oh, I wouldn't live on the first floor alone; you're a girl." and "I would suggest trying to find a roommate if you'll be coming in late." - These statements are true of any place you live, though. There are crazies everywhere.

I don't believe Williamsburg is at all dangerous; I think it's cute and there are plenty of things to do and restaurants you would see in any major city, but since I am alone, I personally want a student-heavy area. On campus may be the option for me until I find a roommate.

jhw219

Postby jhw219 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:28 pm

so when i was filling out my need access form, william & mary was not one of the options for a school that i could send it to. obviously, they mailed the scholarships with the acceptance packets but does this mean that i would not get any additional need based loans apart from federal ones through FAFSA?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 pm

jhw219 wrote:so when i was filling out my need access form, william & mary was not one of the options for a school that i could send it to. obviously, they mailed the scholarships with the acceptance packets but does this mean that i would not get any additional need based loans apart from federal ones through FAFSA?

Did you look under College of William and Mary? I've had this issue before.

jhw219

Postby jhw219 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Opie wrote:
jhw219 wrote:so when i was filling out my need access form, william & mary was not one of the options for a school that i could send it to. obviously, they mailed the scholarships with the acceptance packets but does this mean that i would not get any additional need based loans apart from federal ones through FAFSA?

I did and it's not there

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm

jhw219 wrote:
Opie wrote:

I did and it's not there

Sorry, that's all I got. :|

ETA: Just checked wm.edu and their code is 003705, HTH

hokielaw12

Postby hokielaw12 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:17 pm

kaftka juice wrote:
aeiouy wrote:

My parents have lived in Williamsburg for many years now and I must say there are certainly rough areas of Williamsburg. There are definitely very wealthy areas and the colonial part is obviously nice, but to say there are NO unsafe areas isn't correct. If you want to be near the upscale part of Williamsburg (Newtown, etc) it will cost a lot of money. W&M doesn't benefit from being in a college town so everything is just more expensive than at traditional universities. There is nothing wrong with Williamsburg and it's a great place to live, but you will have to pay more money in order to enjoy it.

leagle1

Postby leagle1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I had actually forgotten that I applied here in November, and now that I see I'm still "complete", I see no reason why I should have remembered.

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 pm

hokielaw12 wrote:
kaftka juice wrote:
aeiouy wrote:

My parents have lived in Williamsburg for many years now and I must say there are certainly rough areas of Williamsburg. There are definitely very wealthy areas and the colonial part is obviously nice, but to say there are NO unsafe areas isn't correct. If you want to be near the upscale part of Williamsburg (Newtown, etc) it will cost a lot of money. W&M doesn't benefit from being in a college town so everything is just more expensive than at traditional universities. There is nothing wrong with Williamsburg and it's a great place to live, but you will have to pay more money in order to enjoy it.

I agree. When I'm not at university in the state of Kansas, I live in Williamsburg. There are nicer parts and not as nice parts, obviously the nicer parts will be expensive (NewTown, High Street). If you go a little south of the city more towards newport news, there is probably more affordable housing but you will have a further drive to class. You just have to weigh the pro's and con's but overall Williamsburg is a pretty safe place (except for the fact that john hinckley often visits...joke...but he really does visit often, his mother lives in Williamsburg).

ap613

Postby ap613 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Anyone going to the admitted student's reception in DC on Thursday?

ClassyKelly

Postby ClassyKelly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Did anyone receive a scholarship offer AFTER their acceptance package? I'm really hoping for some money, but I received my package a week ago and no $$. :? :?

abstract

Postby abstract » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:29 pm

ClassyKelly wrote:Did anyone receive a scholarship offer AFTER their acceptance package? I'm really hoping for some money, but I received my package a week ago and no $$. :? :?

I did. Received a letter with a scholarship, a fellowship, and an out-of-state waiver. And I had been convinced that because I had nothing in my acceptance letter, nothing would be offered. Fingers crossed for you.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:46 am

Anyone still waiting? W/M seems to have gone dark with decisions. I applied late-ish January. I hope to hear back soon so I can give W/M strong consideration, since it's one of my more preferable destinations.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:32 pm

fakemoney wrote:Anyone still waiting? W/M seems to have gone dark with decisions. I applied late-ish January. I hope to hear back soon so I can give W/M strong consideration, since it's one of my more preferable destinations.

by lsn it looks like a lot of people are still waiting, including myself, ive been stuck at complete since 11/28

CwallXC322

Postby CwallXC322 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm thinking around March 13-15 we'll get a big batch of decisions. That's around the time where most people got theirs last cycle.

fakemoney

Postby fakemoney » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:25 pm

That would be okay with me. I just hope they give scholarship info out at roughly the same time as admissions decisions. It's kinda interesting how some people who applied got almost instant acceptance -- and it can't just be chalked up to auto-admit numbers, either, as the numbers of these people are all over the place. I wonder what the x-factor was -- if any.

johnpizzo

Postby johnpizzo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:25 pm

I am also waiting but I took the LSAT again in Feb and they said they weren't even going to review my file until after they got the results. That's fine with me since I need to improve to have hopes of admittance anyway. I just in a holding pattern.

Postby 1693 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:25 pm

anjmissy wrote:
fakemoney wrote:Anyone still waiting? W/M seems to have gone dark with decisions. I applied late-ish January. I hope to hear back soon so I can give W/M strong consideration, since it's one of my more preferable destinations.

by lsn it looks like a lot of people are still waiting, including myself, ive been stuck at complete since 11/28

I have been waiting since 11/18. I am currently an undergrad at W&M, however, and I know several people who have and haven't gotten decisions from the school.

If anyone has any questions of Williamsburg and the College in general, ask away. I'll comment upon what I know from my 4 years here.

Oftranch

Postby Oftranch » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:33 pm

1693 wrote:
I have been waiting since 11/18. I am currently an undergrad at W&M, however, and I know several people who have and haven't gotten decisions from the school.

If anyone has any questions of Williamsburg and the College in general, ask away. I'll comment upon what I know from my 4 years here.

How have u enjoyed Williamsburg? Is there enough to do on the weekends to keep you busy or is it pretty slow?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”