William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AndShe__Was

New

Re: William and Mary c/o 2015 (2011-2012 Cycle)

Post by AndShe__Was » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm

nini11 wrote:Hello everyone, I got accepted a couple of weeks ago, with a little, very little scholarship. I was not able to attend the admitted students day. I have other options such as a full ride at Hofstra, and an admission at Northwestern with no money, so I'm still debating...
Some of you guys seem to have WM as a top choice, can you please help me learn more about the school so I can decide if I will see you guys in the fall?

I also loved the town; seemed like the perfect mix of smaller bars, cute shops, and that whole colonial section was pretty cool to me. But the school itself was also comfortable and really pretty. The library has a jungle outside its huge windows and there's a ton of trees and green everywhere you look. It has a good reputation and strong alumni all over the country so that's a big plus. I personally liked that there wasn't an emphasis on huge business but a lot of opportunities for public interest law. And everyone seemed really nice too! Hope this helped :D

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:26 pm

WL'ed on 3/23. Very friendly atmosphere during my visit and strong military/veteran base. I will keep hope alive and keep FFE with the LOCIs.

2Lbliss

New

Post by 2Lbliss » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Just a heads up. For any of you who received the Graduate Research Fellowship from W&M, run. Run as far away as you can. As a 2L I can tell you that the GrF scholarship is the biggest bait and switch I have ever seen and is a horrible experience.

anan

New

Post by anan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

how is doing easy extra work in return for scholarship money a bait and switch?

AndShe__Was

New

Post by AndShe__Was » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 am

2Lbliss wrote:Just a heads up. For any of you who received the Graduate Research Fellowship from W&M, run. Run as far away as you can. As a 2L I can tell you that the GrF scholarship is the biggest bait and switch I have ever seen and is a horrible experience.

Yeah, could you explain why? I've heard only good things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 pm

AndShe__Was wrote:
2Lbliss wrote:Just a heads up. For any of you who received the Graduate Research Fellowship from W&M, run. Run as far away as you can. As a 2L I can tell you that the GrF scholarship is the biggest bait and switch I have ever seen and is a horrible experience.

That account is clearly a troll don't feed them. GrF isn't bait and switch, its straight forward, as you have to meet the stipulations one of which is working your necessary hours. You need to maintain grades in appx the top 66% to maintain the GrF.

AndShe__Was

New

Post by AndShe__Was » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 pm

byronmullens wrote:
AndShe__Was wrote:

That account is clearly a troll don't feed them. GrF isn't bait and switch, its straight forward, as you have to meet the stipulations one of which is working your necessary hours. You need to maintain grades in appx the top 66% to maintain the GrF.
It seems like a great opportunity, especially when you get to research your second year. Maybe some people just aren't used to working while in school? Regardless, I'm excited to take part and make some cash$

DMBFan

New

Post by DMBFan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:53 am

byronmullens wrote:
AndShe__Was wrote:

Current 1L here. This is credited. Several of my friends a GrFs and while no one likes doing extra work, the consensus is that it's a great opportunity. In addition to getting more scholarship money, GrFs also get to work with professors and have some increased opportunities to be TAs. Also a fellowship is considered an honor and should be listed as such on your resume. If any of you are seriously debating whether to accept it, PM me and I can put you in touch with a current GrF.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

Negotiated to a decent scholarship- looks like this admissions cycle is over for me! (short of a T14 WL opening) W&M here I come!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Nammertat wrote:Negotiated to a decent scholarship- looks like this admissions cycle is over for me! (short of a T14 WL opening) W&M here I come!
Welcome to the club!

kgus22

New

Post by kgus22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:28 am

I was just wondering what the seat deposit deadlines were for W&M. I'm waitlisted and I just want a very vague idea of when any action might start taking place.

eringobragh

New

Post by eringobragh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:32 am

kgus22 wrote:I was just wondering what the seat deposit deadlines were for W&M. I'm waitlisted and I just want a very vague idea of when any action might start taking place.
May 1st, $500.

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Did anyone else get the car decal from WM? I'm such a dork and was so excited lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mrslaw2014

New

Post by mrslaw2014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 pm

DMBFan wrote:
byronmullens wrote:
AndShe__Was wrote:

Current 1L here. This is credited. Several of my friends a GrFs and while no one likes doing extra work, the consensus is that it's a great opportunity. In addition to getting more scholarship money, GrFs also get to work with professors and have some increased opportunities to be TAs. Also a fellowship is considered an honor and should be listed as such on your resume. If any of you are seriously debating whether to accept it, PM me and I can put you in touch with a current GrF.
Yeah, that is a bunch of bullshit. GRFs suck because it is a job, and like most jobs, they suck. GRF sucks especially hard, because you have to work on top of law school, but it sure beats just about every job other students have. Beats my job, for sure. Some GRF jobs are better than others, but when it comes down to it, it is all library/administrative work your first year and a little more substantive your second year. It just isn't that bad. And you can study during your library hours, anyway. If you aren't worried about taking out loans, or someone is funding your education, or if you are just plain lazy/whiny/bitchy, then don't take a GRF. If you want to reduce your loan burden by $30K and make some spending money, then take it. The only people I know who have dropped GRFs did not need them in the first place. Only law students would bitch about a program like the GRF program. #firstworldproblems

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Is there a group for people actually attending W&M yet? I've got housing / logistical questions that would likely be better suited there?!

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:52 pm

There is the facebook group, but that is only for people who have sent their deposit in. But there this this group, but its not too active http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=176101

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:55 pm

AndShe__Was wrote:
byronmullens wrote:
AndShe__Was wrote:

It seems like a great opportunity, especially when you get to research your second year. Maybe some people just aren't used to working while in school? Regardless, I'm excited to take part and make some cash$
I think there is some credit to saying that GRF is not always the best idea, because it prevents you from getting in-state tuition in the future. For example, without the GRF, you might be offered a tuition scholarship in your first year, say $8k. Then, if you get residency your second year, your tuition drops to in-state, and you retain your additional $8k off. Then you're paying even less than GRFs, and over the 2nd and 3rd years, it becomes really cheap. I guess it's only a matter of whether you received a tuition scholarship besides the GRF, which a lot of people do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:58 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:There is the facebook group, but that is only for people who have sent their deposit in. But there this this group, but its not too active http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=176101
TY- Definitely quiet in that group, I'll hold on till the FB group opens up for me. Likely sending my deposit next week.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:44 pm

AP-375 wrote: I think there is some credit to saying that GRF is not always the best idea, because it prevents you from getting in-state tuition in the future. For example, without the GRF, you might be offered a tuition scholarship in your first year, say $8k. Then, if you get residency your second year, your tuition drops to in-state, and you retain your additional $8k off. Then you're paying even less than GRFs, and over the 2nd and 3rd years, it becomes really cheap. I guess it's only a matter of whether you received a tuition scholarship besides the GRF, which a lot of people do.
Virginia is known as a difficult state to establish residency in and I would not count on it happening.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:34 pm

splitsplat wrote:
AP-375 wrote: I think there is some credit to saying that GRF is not always the best idea, because it prevents you from getting in-state tuition in the future. For example, without the GRF, you might be offered a tuition scholarship in your first year, say $8k. Then, if you get residency your second year, your tuition drops to in-state, and you retain your additional $8k off. Then you're paying even less than GRFs, and over the 2nd and 3rd years, it becomes really cheap. I guess it's only a matter of whether you received a tuition scholarship besides the GRF, which a lot of people do.
Virginia is known as a difficult state to establish residency in and I would not count on it happening.
It all depends on how you go about it. I've done significant research, and these are some deal-breaker items:

VA Drivers License
VA vehicle registration
Job of some sort paying VA state taxes
"Intent" to stay in VA

There are LOTS of people who have been able to navigate this process successfully. Those who haven't almost always have missed one of these key items.

splitsplat

Silver

Post by splitsplat » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 pm

There are states where it is easy to establish residency (like California) and states where there are tons of restrictions and rules (like Virginia). All I'm saying is be prepared to jump through hoops.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 pm

splitsplat wrote:There are states where it is easy to establish residency (like California) and states where there are tons of restrictions and rules (like Virginia). All I'm saying is be prepared to jump through hoops.
VA is not an easy state to establish residency, also one will note that their scholarship are dependent on residency status, so if you become instate your scholarship will decrease, so the above hypo of 8k isn't the scholarship amount you would have in years 2 and 3. Betting on instate, is almost like betting on your class rank its unpredictable even if you can control it to a point. I know first hand of many who have been rejected. Personally I didn't even try b/c I knew if I got it it would be a wash for scholly money as it would be adjusted downward.
AP-375 wrote: For example, without the GRF, you might be offered a tuition scholarship in your first year, say $8k. Then, if you get residency your second year, your tuition drops to in-state, and you retain your additional $8k off. .
This is not true, read your scholarship letter your award amount is dependent on your residency, you become instate it will go down and possibly disappear.

TL;DR
Take the GrR unless you are loaded with dolla dolla billz.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:21 am

byronmullens wrote:
splitsplat wrote:There are states where it is easy to establish residency (like California) and states where there are tons of restrictions and rules (like Virginia). All I'm saying is be prepared to jump through hoops.
VA is not an easy state to establish residency, also one will note that their scholarship are dependent on residency status, so if you become instate your scholarship will decrease, so the above hypo of 8k isn't the scholarship amount you would have in years 2 and 3. Betting on instate, is almost like betting on your class rank its unpredictable even if you can control it to a point. I know first hand of many who have been rejected. Personally I didn't even try b/c I knew if I got it it would be a wash for scholly money as it would be adjusted downward.
AP-375 wrote: For example, without the GRF, you might be offered a tuition scholarship in your first year, say $8k. Then, if you get residency your second year, your tuition drops to in-state, and you retain your additional $8k off. .
This is not true, read your scholarship letter your award amount is dependent on your residency, you become instate it will go down and possibly disappear.

TL;DR
Doesn't disappear, just reduces to be the same proportion of tuition, so still substantive. But yeah, take the GRF unless they offer you a lot of scholarship money without it.

eringobragh

New

Post by eringobragh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:34 am

AP-375 wrote:
byronmullens wrote:

TL;DR
Doesn't disappear, just reduces to be the same proportion of tuition, so still substantive. But yeah, take the GRF unless they offer you a lot of scholarship money without it.
AP, where is your info coming from? On my award letter it doesn't say it explicitly, but heavily implies that you can only get the 8k if you remain OOS.

AP-375

Bronze

Post by AP-375 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 pm

eringobragh wrote:
AP-375 wrote:
byronmullens wrote:

TL;DR
AP, where is your info coming from? On my award letter it doesn't say it explicitly, but heavily implies that you can only get the 8k if you remain OOS.
Email from Dean Shealy confirming prior to matriculation. Current 1L. Maybe things have changed. No reason not to email or call to inquire and confirm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”