U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 am

seancris wrote:
salsahips wrote:UF and FSU dropped a spot in the rankings, UM and FIU made sizable jumps
Seems strange to me that FIU was ranked higher than Stetson. It seems to me that Stetson has a much better reputation in-state. Also seems embarassing since Stetson has been around for 100+ years and FIU as been accredited for what... 10 years? Less?
Yup. FIU has a large UG alumni base backing it and in an excellent location. I went there for UG, and I can testify that they've done it right from the start. They know their reason for existence and don't try to do more. Although the recent tuition hikes are discouraging, I think they are doing the right thing in a state full of useless lawl schools

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

UF's admitted student emails are pretty useless.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:10 am

Anyone know of any good places to live 1L year at UF, preferably apartments near the law school? Also, is there some sort of a way to find roomates for the fall or some directory of places available?

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 am

I don't know if this would apply to graduate programs, but I think it's a great idea.

http://chalkboard.blogs.gainesville.com ... flat-rate/

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 am

UMiamiCane wrote:I don't know if this would apply to graduate programs, but I think it's a great idea.

This is a smokescreen. Bernie is trying to make increasing tuition popular by framing it in a pro-student way. They act like they're trying to protect students while they hike tuition to unreasonable rates and everyone turns a blind eye since they think it won't affect them... until Bernie and the legislature decide that current students need to pay the "market rate" like everyone else.

And even if it never affects me, I don't want to see my alma mater turn into a UCal. The point of Florida's university system is to maximize access IMO and these hikes minimize access. Even Rick Scott is saying that we should stop increasing tuition, and that's probably why Bernie has come out with this proposal to keep hiking it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 am

seancris wrote:
This is a smokescreen. Bernie is trying to make increasing tuition popular by framing it in a pro-student way. They act like they're trying to protect students while they hike tuition to unreasonable rates and everyone turns a blind eye since they think it won't affect them... until Bernie and the legislature decide that current students need to pay the "market rate" like everyone else.

And even if it never affects me, I don't want to see my alma mater turn into a UCal. The point of Florida's university system is to maximize access IMO and these hikes minimize access. Even Rick Scott is saying that we should stop increasing tuition, and that's probably why Bernie has come out with this proposal to keep hiking it.
In Spring 2010 (when I took 18 credits), my tuition was 2,600. In Spring 2011 (12 credits) it was about 2,000. Yes, that is a dramatic increase, but it's still only about 5k per year tuition. Round that up to even 10k in tuition per year, and UF is still ridiculously cheap. This is especially true when people choose useful majors. Do you think an engineer is going to care about 30k (without Prepaid or Bright Futures) down the line? Regarding LAW SCHOOL tuition however, I think the 18,600 that they are charging now is way too much. It's not right to allow so many schools to saturate the market and then expect the students to be 100k in the hole.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:In Spring 2010 (when I took 18 credits), my tuition was 2,600. In Spring 2011 (12 credits) it was about 2,000. Yes, that is a dramatic increase, but it's still only about 5k per year tuition. Round that up to even 10k in tuition per year, and UF is still ridiculously cheap. This is especially true when people choose useful majors. Do you think an engineer is going to care about 30k (without Prepaid or Bright Futures) down the line? Regarding LAW SCHOOL tuition however, I think the 18,600 that they are charging now is way too much. It's not right to allow so many schools to saturate the market and then expect the students to be 100k in the hole.
I never really understand students making the argument that UF undergrad was just too cheap. In 05-06, not all that long ago, I think tuition at UF Law was 6k/yr. I'm sure people in 06 made the argument that tuition increases were tolerable because it was "just too cheap" at the previous rate. One or two cycles later and students are going 100k+ in the whole hole for the #48 state school.

Even though we UF guys tend to have hugely inflated egos, none of us should be under the illusion that our alma mater is on par with UCLA or even UNC. Thus the appeal of UF is the high quality of education for the price. Up the tuition to the rates to what our legislature and leadership would like us to pay and we will go from being a best value education to just another overpriced, mediocre state school. Not to mention the brain drain that will come with that. It looks like I'm already headed out of state due to unaffordable tuition at the law school level, so it's already starting at least for some.

But yeah, we can agree wholeheartedly that law school tuition is out of hand at UF these days.
Last edited by seancris on Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:53 pm

seancris wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:In Spring 2010 (when I took 18 credits), my tuition was 2,600. In Spring 2011 (12 credits) it was about 2,000. Yes, that is a dramatic increase, but it's still only about 5k per year tuition. Round that up to even 10k in tuition per year, and UF is still ridiculously cheap. This is especially true when people choose useful majors. Do you think an engineer is going to care about 30k (without Prepaid or Bright Futures) down the line? Regarding LAW SCHOOL tuition however, I think the 18,600 that they are charging now is way too much. It's not right to allow so many schools to saturate the market and then expect the students to be 100k in the hole.
I never really understand students making the argument that UF undergrad was just too cheap. In 05-06, not all that long ago, I think tuition at UF Law was 6k/yr. I'm sure people in 06 made the argument that tuition increases were tolerable because it was "just too cheap" at the previous rate. One or two cycles later and students are going 100k+ in the whole for the #48 state school.

Even though we UF guys tend to have hugely inflated egos, none of us should be under the illusion that our alma mater is on par with UCLA or even UNC. Thus the appeal of UF is the high quality of education for the price. Up the tuition to the rates to what our legislature and leadership would like us to pay and we will go from being a best value education to just another overpriced, mediocre state school. Not to mention the brain drain that will come with that. It looks like I'm already headed out of state due to unaffordable tuition at the law school level, so it's already starting at least for some.

But yeah, we can agree wholeheartedly that law school tuition is out of hand at UF these days.

I agree. The argument is very risky in that you could keep running with it so long as your school's tuition is below average without considering that just because your school is cheaper than most of the rest doesn't mean the higher tuition is somehow "right." If most schools have an inflated cost without a comparable inflated quality, then the extra cost is really just inefficient and probably just making a few people a bit wealthier. For all we know, UF's "low-cost" could still technically be inflated beyond the cost necessary to provide the same quality education, but we'd never stop to ask that question simply because all the other schools charge more.

Very dangerous line of reasoning. The question of why are we increasing tuition should seldom be answered, even in part, by the fact that tuition is comparably low. Low tuition with quality education should be a point of pride, not a scapegoat.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm

salsahips wrote:Very dangerous line of reasoning. The question of why are we increasing tuition should seldom be answered, even in part, by the fact that tuition is comparably low. Low tuition with quality education should be a point of pride, not a scapegoat.
salsahips 2012!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 am

Current Status: Final Decision Reached, Notice Issued
Current Status Date: 3/13/2012

Too bad I'm on spring break, but hopefully it'll be an acceptance when I get back.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 am

UMiamiCane wrote:I don't know if this would apply to graduate programs, but I think it's a great idea.

I should clarify my post. I meant to say, if tuition hikes are going to happen, I think this is a better way to go about it. That way, entering students know what their tuition will cost.

I do agree though that raising tuition just for the sake of raising tuition is not a good reason.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:17 am

Had a letter in the mail today: I received $5k in need-based aid for next year. I'm pleasantly surprised; UF is looking like the best choice.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 am

Geaux12 wrote:Had a letter in the mail today: I received $5k in need-based aid for next year. I'm pleasantly surprised; UF is looking like the best choice.
Awesome! That's on top of your $9,000/yr if I remember correctly? That's a great deal!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am

UMiamiCane wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Had a letter in the mail today: I received $5k in need-based aid for next year. I'm pleasantly surprised; UF is looking like the best choice.
Awesome! That's on top of your $9,000/yr if I remember correctly? That's a great deal!

That's my understanding and I'm excited as hell. Granted, there is no guarantee I'll receive the same amount of need-based aid for 2L and 3L. But the idea of only paying $21k total tuition for my legal education is pretty awesome.

MichNole19

New

Post by MichNole19 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:49 am

I also recieved a need-based grant :) While I know there is no guarnatee that I'll recieve it for 2L or 3L, just curious if any of the current students could provide any insight if most students who recieve it for 1L tend to get reselected for 2L and 3L, if their financial situtation remains the same.

Either way I'm estatic, and this has really put UF in the driver's seat as FSU has still not offered me a penny.

Figure.N9ne

New

Post by Figure.N9ne » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:57 am

MichNole19 wrote:I also recieved a need-based grant :) While I know there is no guarnatee that I'll recieve it for 2L or 3L, just curious if any of the current students could provide any insight if most students who recieve it for 1L tend to get reselected for 2L and 3L, if their financial situtation remains the same.

Either way I'm estatic, and this has really put UF in the driver's seat as FSU has still not offered me a penny.

I was curious about the same thing. I also received a need-based grand yesterday which covers the rest of my tuition that the merit aid didn't cover. I hope it's the same for the 3 years, but even if it's only for one year, it's still a great deal. I'm going to wait another week to see if I get any other offers from other schools, but UF is pretty much locked in now.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Congrats to you too Figure!

My husband will be supporting us so I didn't request any need-based aid, considering I don't have to take out loans for living like most people. I am hoping that they'll increase my merit aid, even just a little bit though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jlz111

New

Post by jlz111 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Does anyone know when the last round of acceptances are going to come out ? I have gotten in to fsu, American, Miami, Cardozo already. It seems weird that I wouldn't get in. All schools are very comparable to UF. I was also WL at Fordham which is in top 30. UF is my top choice . Can i contact UF and say this?

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I got the $5000/year in needs-aid too. It's not enough to persuade me out of W&M though, especially if I can get an in-state waiver for W&M (fingers crossed).

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:I got the $5000/year in needs-aid too. It's not enough to persuade me out of W&M though, especially if I can get an in-state waiver for W&M (fingers crossed).
Where do you want to work?

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Um, my whole life I've wanted out of Florida. Family is from VA and I'd prefer VA to Florida. I was going to stay in state for cheaper prices, but idk if it's worth it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm

NoleGirl12 wrote:Um, my whole life I've wanted out of Florida. Family is from VA and I'd prefer VA to Florida. I was going to stay in state for cheaper prices, but idk if it's worth it.
If you have connections to the VA area and prefer it over FL, I definitely endorse W&M over Florida. Furthermore, I would recommend passing on UF entirely if I was in your position. Secure money at a good school in that area. I'm not nearly as well-versed in the VA market as the Florida one, but there are many on this board that are. I recommend seeking out their advice.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

granturismo72

New

Post by granturismo72 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Did UF offer need-based aid via snail mail or an e-mail?

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 pm

granturismo72 wrote:Did UF offer need-based aid via snail mail or an e-mail?
Snail mail.

NoleGirl12

New

Post by NoleGirl12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
NoleGirl12 wrote:Um, my whole life I've wanted out of Florida. Family is from VA and I'd prefer VA to Florida. I was going to stay in state for cheaper prices, but idk if it's worth it.
If you have connections to the VA area and prefer it over FL, I definitely endorse W&M over Florida. Furthermore, I would recommend passing on UF entirely if I was in your position. Secure money at a good school in that area. I'm not nearly as well-versed in the VA market as the Florida one, but there are many on this board that are. I recommend seeking out their advice.
Thanks for the advice!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”