U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am

Sent an email to admissions asking them to check my file for an award. No award, and yet another explanation that the process for recieving merit-aid is "highly competitive."

I guess to win the competition for a max scholly I had to have a slightly lower GPA.

Not to mention the only criteria that UF lays out on its website for merit-aid is that "preference is given to in-state applicants," and the LSN profile that I'm referring to is OOS.

Four years of perfect grades and not a dime of merit-aid as an undergrad, and not a dime offered at the LS. Pretty much done with UF at this point, it's gotten insulting.

curiousnole

Postby curiousnole » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 am

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't offered you a scholly. I'd agree that's a bit insulting honestly. I've seen your other posts; you are right, another few points on the lsat and you could go anywhere with your gpa. Screw UF.

Figure.N9ne

Postby Figure.N9ne » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm

seancris wrote:Sent an email to admissions asking them to check my file for an award. No award, and yet another explanation that the process for recieving merit-aid is "highly competitive."

I guess to win the competition for a max scholly I had to have a slightly lower GPA.

Not to mention the only criteria that UF lays out on its website for merit-aid is that "preference is given to in-state applicants," and the LSN profile that I'm referring to is OOS.

Four years of perfect grades and not a dime of merit-aid as an undergrad, and not a dime offered at the LS. Pretty much done with UF at this point, it's gotten insulting.

That's really surprising, and makes no sense. I had a similar experience with FIU, which I currently attend for undergrad. I was auto-accepted within 1 day of submitting my application. My LSAT score is well above the 75th percentile. My GPA is competitive for the school. Yet the same day I get the UF scholarship, I get a letter from FIU telling me about all the loans I can apply for. I called to ask about a merit scholarship and they said I didn't qualify for one. I'd consider FIU on a scholarship so I wouldn't have to move away from home, but like you feel about UF, it's just insulting.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 pm

seancris wrote:Sent an email to admissions asking them to check my file for an award. No award, and yet another explanation that the process for recieving merit-aid is "highly competitive."

This is pretty surprising, especially since you told them about your money from Emory.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:46 pm

As I've said before, same thing happened to me. I got jack first semester, but got a grant this semester. There is really no rhyme or reason so you should stop worrying about it. It sounds like you want to wait a year and try for T14 anyway.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

LSATmake Me Neurotic- Is it common for someone to be offered a grant in the second semester? Any idea when we should expect to hear if we were offered a grant? April/May?? I mailed in my Need-Based application a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm with you. I'm a UF undergrad, I've already been accepted, way back in November, at the other Florida schools I applied to: FSU, UM, FIU. Acceptances also from G'town, GW, and Vandy -- and nothing from UF, not a word. If they were yield protecting, they could have rejected me a while back. I'm disappointed.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:47 pm

MichNole19 wrote:LSATmake Me Neurotic- Is it common for someone to be offered a grant in the second semester? Any idea when we should expect to hear if we were offered a grant? April/May?? I mailed in my Need-Based application a couple of weeks ago. Thanks!

I know of at least two other people that received grants this semester that did not get anything the first semester, and they were all fairly substantial amounts. I'm not sure if it is common but it was certainly appreciated! I got an email right after New Years that said my financial aid had been adjusted and saw the grant listed in addition to my loans. As for grants and scholarships for the Fall, I assume they are done awarding merit stuff by May (I think that's when I was told by Carol Huber to give up hope haha) but need-based might be a bit later.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:12 pm

salsahips wrote:

I'm with you. I'm a UF undergrad, I've already been accepted, way back in November, at the other Florida schools I applied to: FSU, UM, FIU. Acceptances also from G'town, GW, and Vandy -- and nothing from UF, not a word. If they were yield protecting, they could have rejected me a while back. I'm disappointed.

That really blows my mind. We have a similar GPA, you've got me beat by 4 points on the LSAT, and I applied mid-Jan with an acceptance two weeks later. It seems totally random. I did put a lot of work into maximizing the appeal of my softs through my PS, but it isn't like I have post-undergrad work experience or military or something...

seancris

Postby seancris » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Geaux12 wrote:That really blows my mind. We have a similar GPA, you've got me beat by 4 points on the LSAT, and I applied mid-Jan with an acceptance two weeks later. It seems totally random. I did put a lot of work into maximizing the appeal of my softs through my PS, but it isn't like I have post-undergrad work experience or military or something...

It's gotta be yield protection. Check out LSN. Only 2 170s have reported acceptances, and they both have below median GPAs. No one with a 171+ has reported an acceptance. Seems like UF might be afraid of admitting applicants who have chances at T6.

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey guys, hope this isn't considered spamming. I have the inside track on a 1 bedroom apartment across from UF. 610/month. New appliances, very large rooms. It's available for summer sublease if any of you gators-to-be would like to get to Gville early. You could then renew and keep it through 1L. Would be open to dropping the price a bit for the summer months or paying your utilities or both. PM if interested. Thanks and remember, the last thing you need during 1L is roommates :D

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 pm

^ That sounds like a pretty good deal.

I got a letter from UF financial aid today, recommending a scholarship for me. Not an offer, just recommending that I apply for a pretty narrow scholarship since I guess they saw that I qualified for it after reviewing my file.

Good looking out on their part. I think there's a good chance that my SO will get the scholarship since it looks like I'm taking a year off and won't be eligible, and the scholarship seems to be specific enough and poorly-advertised enough to have a very low number of applicants.

Combined with the need-based grants that some one-L's have been offered, there seems to be some evidence to indicate that UF might be a cheaper option than the sticker price would indicate for those of you who are still in the game.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:29 pm

seancris wrote:^ That sounds like a pretty good deal.

I got a letter from UF financial aid today, recommending a scholarship for me. Not an offer, just recommending that I apply for a pretty narrow scholarship since I guess they saw that I qualified for it after reviewing my file.

Good looking out on their part. I think there's a good chance that my SO will get the scholarship since it looks like I'm taking a year off and won't be eligible, and the scholarship seems to be specific enough and poorly-advertised enough to have a very low number of applicants.

Combined with the need-based grants that some one-L's have been offered, there seems to be some evidence to indicate that UF might be a cheaper option than the sticker price would indicate for those of you who are still in the game.

Thanks for the heads up about that scholarship applicaion. I think I may call the admissions office tomorrow and inquire about it since I haven't been offered any monies yet.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:34 pm

FreeLolita wrote:
seancris wrote:^ That sounds like a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the heads up about that scholarship applicaion. I think I may call the admissions office tomorrow and inquire about it since I haven't been offered any monies yet.

NP. It's one of the county-specific ones. You had to graduate from a public high school in a specific county in Florida. I don't know if every county has them or what, but you can ask Ms. Huber generally about some scholarship apps and she'll probably hook you up.

This one was for 1k btw. A drop in the bucket if you're looking at sticker, but I think it's a good sign that the fin aid office is looking out for admitted students.

Sspinner

Postby Sspinner » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm

FR;NDR since 2/13

I'm probably somewhat of a long-shot at 160 3.3-3.4 but I remain hopeful :)

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 pm

seancris wrote:
NP. It's one of the county-specific ones. You had to graduate from a public high school in a specific county in Florida. I don't know if every county has them or what, but you can ask Ms. Huber generally about some scholarship apps and she'll probably hook you up.

This one was for 1k btw. A drop in the bucket if you're looking at sticker, but I think it's a good sign that the fin aid office is looking out for admitted students.

To add onto that, they send out scholarship notifications all the time. Most of them don't apply to me (must be from Brevard County was a recent one), but it's nice that everyone is getting sent the notifications.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:To add onto that, they send out scholarship notifications all the time. Most of them don't apply to me (must be from Brevard County was a recent one), but it's nice that everyone is getting sent the notifications.

Is it true that you can only get one scholarship at a time, or something like that? I vaguely remember reading something along those lines last semester.

jc326

Postby jc326 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 pm

I was held at no decision reached forever, got in on 2/20, and just got a scholarship offer in the mail this past weekend.

Has me thinking they may be keeping people in no decision reached limbo while they are under scholarship review? Had me scared I might not even get in for a while...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

seancris wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:To add onto that, they send out scholarship notifications all the time. Most of them don't apply to me (must be from Brevard County was a recent one), but it's nice that everyone is getting sent the notifications.

Is it true that you can only get one scholarship at a time, or something like that? I vaguely remember reading something along those lines last semester.

hmmm, not that I know of. I know that your loans + scholarships can't exceed the total COA. Do you mean UF scholarships specifically? Or scholarships in general?

ETA: You can only get one UF scholarship at a time (they'll give you the largest one), but as far as I know, you can have as many private scholarships as you can get.

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:04 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:ETA: You can only get one UF scholarship at a time (they'll give you the largest one), but as far as I know, you can have as many private scholarships as you can get.

This is what I was referring to. The UF/private distinction wasn't as clear in the fin aid info I read.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 am

UF and FSU dropped a spot in the rankings, UM and FIU made sizable jumps

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 am

salsahips wrote:UF and FSU dropped a spot in the rankings, UM and FIU made sizable jumps

Don't let that put any stock into your decisions.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:44 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
salsahips wrote:UF and FSU dropped a spot in the rankings, UM and FIU made sizable jumps

+1 At least not for UF or FSU.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 am

salsahips wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

+1 At least not for UF or FSU.

And unless the other two are giving you a full ride, they shouldn't factor into a decision regarding these two

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 am

Seems strange to me that FIU was ranked higher than Stetson. It seems to me that Stetson has a much better reputation in-state. Also seems embarassing since Stetson has been around for 100+ years and FIU as been accredited for what... 10 years? Less?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”