U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 am

Have any admitted students here not recieved scholarships at this point? And if you haven't, would you mind PM'ing me your numbers?

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

I got an email today stating they matched me with an alumni to help answer questions I may have. They matched me with an assistant state attorney, which is nice since that is what I want to do. I appreciate them taking the time to match me with someone in that position.

Seancris- I'm sorry you haven't heard about scholarships yet. I can't remember- did you send them your other offers yet?

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Seancris- I'm sorry you haven't heard about scholarships yet. I can't remember- did you send them your other offers yet?

I sent in a cover letter, new resume and my full-tuition offer from Stetson which is my only offer so far on the day that everyone else got their letters, meaning that the committee hasn't seen any of that yet... Emory seems to be getting back to people who applied when I did and they're giving out schollys with the admit letters so maybe I'll get that letter in soon and fax it in to UF as well.

Ms. Adorno says the scholly committee meets once every two weeks from now until April. So since people had letters on Saturday, they probably last met around Feb 9th-ish and will next meet on Feb 23rd-ish. Unclear whether new letters should be expected immediately after the scholly committee meets, but at any rate I would say it's going to be Feb 25th at the earliest before we hear about new scholarships.

LOL and when I went to check on the mail on Tuesday expecting an offer, I opened it up and there was literally a box of razor blades (gillette, they're cheaper online) and a Cooley fee waiver. What a terrible omen. :lol:

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm

seancris wrote:LOL and when I went to check on the mail on Tuesday expecting an offer, I opened it up and there was literally a box of razor blades (gillette, they're cheaper online) and a Cooley fee waiver. What a terrible omen. :lol:

Wow- you just made me lol at work!

I guess it makes sense if they only meet every two weeks that you haven't hears anything since the last batch. People on LSN seem to be doing a good job updating their profiles. Have you looked there for who has received money?

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
seancris wrote:LOL and when I went to check on the mail on Tuesday expecting an offer, I opened it up and there was literally a box of razor blades (gillette, they're cheaper online) and a Cooley fee waiver. What a terrible omen. :lol:

Wow- you just made me lol at work!

I guess it makes sense if they only meet every two weeks that you haven't hears anything since the last batch. People on LSN seem to be doing a good job updating their profiles. Have you looked there for who has received money?

Meh, I don't want to look. It's not going to change my above-median-but-apparently-still-not-good-enough LSAT score. Last year people around my numbers seemed to post that they had recieved scholarship offers in the amounts of 6 & 8k/yr. At this point I would be thrilled with that. Not too many people had my exact numbers, of course, but in the "cloud" around my numbers... half of those people got offers in the above amounts.

This batch it seems pretty clear that people are getting $$ at 164+. Sitting at 163, it kills to think that the difference of one question on the LSAT could be the difference between $21-27k and $0. Only one person I'm aware of with a 162 got an offer this batch (URM).

I feel like an idiot for skipping the October LSAT.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:46 pm

I just checked LSN... NO ONE in the 163 column got an offer and EVERYONE in the 164 column (above a 3.7) got an offer. One question. FML.

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm

seancris wrote:I just checked LSN... NO ONE in the 163 column got an offer and EVERYONE in the 164 column (above a 3.7) got an offer YET.

I fixed that for you ;)

Maybe the last batch was focused on LSAT, and this next one will be more GPA focused.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
seancris wrote:I just checked LSN... NO ONE in the 163 column got an offer and EVERYONE in the 164 column (above a 3.7) got an offer YET.

I fixed that for you ;)

Maybe the last batch was focused on LSAT, and this next one will be more GPA focused.

I'm glad that we seem to have found the logic behind the scholarship decisions so far. It's no coincidence that all 164/3.7s have offers and no 163/3.7s do. Makes it less frustrating when the process doesn't seem as random.

In the mean time, all you 164+ scholly recipients, please withdraw immediately. You are far too smart, pretty, handsome and overall just too good for Florida.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Last edited by gatorlaw on Thu May 23, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 pm

gatorlaw wrote:
seancris wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:

I fixed that for you ;)

I'm glad that we seem to have found the logic behind the scholarship decisions so far. It's no coincidence that all 164/3.7s have offers and no 163/3.7s do. Makes it less frustrating when the process doesn't seem as random.

In the mean time, all you 164+ scholly recipients, please withdraw immediately. You are far too smart, pretty, handsome and overall just too good for Florida.

I don't mean to burst your bubble but I'm a 162/ 3.7+ and I was offered 9k/year. You'll probably get money, don't sweat it.

Mentioned that earlier. I was taking URM's out of the equation.

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 pm

I just want to get accepted :(

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Are asians considered URM? The only reason I'm using the term "asians" is b/c that's what the applicant I'm wondering about self-identified as on LSN.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm white. I'm also hispanic, but not Mexican nor Puerto Rican. Plus...hispanic URMs aren't in short supply at FL law schools.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

gatorlaw wrote:I'm white. I'm also hispanic, but not Mexican nor Puerto Rican. Plus...hispanic URMs aren't in short supply at FL law schools.

I don't know why, but I could've sworn you said you were AA earlier ITT. My bad. Bubble partially burst.

What else about your application might explain why you got $$ rather than someone with 4.0/163? Didn't you also say you were admitted to Duke? No offense or anything, obviously you deserve it, it's just I'm trying to make sense of the numbers vs. the results. 162/3.8 aren't traditionally Duke numbers.

There's got to be something else that put you over the top in both cases.

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm

seancris wrote:
gatorlaw wrote:I'm white. I'm also hispanic, but not Mexican nor Puerto Rican. Plus...hispanic URMs aren't in short supply at FL law schools.

I don't know why, but I could've sworn you said you were AA earlier ITT. My bad. Bubble partially burst.

What else about your application might explain why you got $$ rather than someone with 4.0/163? Didn't you also say you were admitted to Duke? No offense or anything, obviously you deserve it, it's just I'm trying to make sense of the numbers vs. the results. 162/3.8 aren't traditionally Duke numbers.

There's got to be something else that put you over the top in both cases.

Last edited by gatorlaw on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolf

Postby wolf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:12 pm

seancris wrote:Have any admitted students here not recieved scholarships at this point? And if you haven't, would you mind PM'ing me your numbers?

Last edited by wolf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 am

gatorlaw wrote:Yeah, no worries. When I tell people I've been admitted to various T14s they assume I'm URM. In my app I said I was hispanic, though I also checked the "white" box. I have an interesting life story, and I think, perhaps, that's what did it for me. If you want any personal info you can PM me but, I was born and raised abroad where I had to escape my home country. I've also worked for various international non-profits in South American countries, etc. I think my softs are a bit different from other people's. Also, I learned English when I was about 13, so in my opinion, my LSAT score isn't too reflective of my capacity. Perhaps schools felt that way too?

I think it's clear by numbers vs. results, as well as the extremely unique softs, that your application is an anomaly and not indicitive of overall trends.

wolf wrote:
seancris wrote:Have any admitted students here not recieved scholarships at this point? And if you haven't, would you mind PM'ing me your numbers?

I have not received a scholarship offer yet. 3.78 / 167

Not sure how to explain that, given the trends we've seen. Is UF your top choice? With those numbers you're probably competitive for T14.

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Finally rejected after having been NDR since November. I was beginning to worry that they might actually accept me.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm

EuroDisney wrote:Finally rejected after having been NDR since November. I was beginning to worry that they might actually accept me.

How were you notified?? By mail??

benburns214

Postby benburns214 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:17 pm

EuroDisney wrote:Finally rejected after having been NDR since November. I was beginning to worry that they might actually accept me.

Waitlisted at Denver but Accepted at Miami? Thats odd... I'd expect the other way around.

When did you apply to UF? just curious so I can get a reasonable estimate of when i should be receiving a decision

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 am

benburns214 wrote:

Waitlisted at Denver but Accepted at Miami? Thats odd... I'd expect the other way around.

When did you apply to UF? just curious so I can get a reasonable estimate of when i should be receiving a decision

Judging by by Miami's admission rates, all I think you need to be accepted by them is an okay GPA, an okay LSAT, and a pulse, not necessarily in that order.

I applied here way back in the last week of September, didn't see any movement on the file until November, then got a rejection email this morning. I'm not too bummed out by their decision; I've already been accepted by my top choice.

bobbofett89

Postby bobbofett89 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:36 pm

EuroDisney wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

Judging by by Miami's admission rates, all I think you need to be accepted by them is an okay GPA, an okay LSAT, and a pulse, not necessarily in that order.

I applied here way back in the last week of September, didn't see any movement on the file until November, then got a rejection email this morning. I'm not too bummed out by their decision; I've already been accepted by my top choice.

I thought UF only sent official responses via snail mail, not email...

KibblesnBitts

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm

EuroDisney wrote:
benburns214 wrote:

UMiami was the first law school I got accepted into, and therefore received over 200 Facebook Likes for. Therefore, UMiami has a special place in my heart.

EuroDisney

Postby EuroDisney » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 pm

bobbofett89 wrote:I thought UF only sent official responses via snail mail, not email...

Here's the text of the email I got on Friday…

"Dear Your Name Here:

After a thorough evaluation of your admissions file, we regret to inform you that your application for admission to the Fall 2012 entering class at the University of Florida Levin College of Law was denied by the Admissions Committee. Please note that this email serves as the only official notice of your final decision.

A number of criteria are employed in evaluating each individual application.  These criteria include undergraduate academic performance, the score(s) on the Law School Admissions Test, and all other relevant materials presented in the applicant's file, including, but not limited to, the applicant's admission statement, resume, and letters of evaluation.

Please be assured that this decision is in no way a reflection of your ability to succeed in the study of law. Because of the competition for a limited number of seats, we must deny admission to a large number of well-qualified applicants. Please be advised that the procedure to petition for reconsideration is outlined in the 2012 UF Law Prospectus and on our web site.

We very much appreciate your interest in our law program.  We wish you success in your future.
Sincerely,       

Michelle Adorno
Assistant Dean for Admissions
KibblesnBitts wrote:UMiami was the first law school I got accepted into, and therefore received over 200 Facebook Likes for. Therefore, UMiami has a special place in my heart.

Miami was also the first law school I got accepted into. I applied there in late September, and was accepted a mere two and a half weeks later. I visited the campus a few weeks ago, and I liked it a lot, and was planning on enrolling until I got better news last week. My jibe about their admissions standards was a comment on their acceptance rates, 47% last year, and 52% the year before that.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else still waiting to hear back from Florida.

mcr2011

Postby mcr2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

My status just changed to Final Decision Reached, Noticed Issued. Does that mean I'll be notified by snail mail? And does this mean I'm in, or no?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”