U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
genius5432

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Dream Machine wrote:^This. Especially based upon last year's thread. They haven't followed their their traditional action thus far. Although there is no reason to completely rule this week out.

Wow, you are a genius? What are your numbers bro?

I'm as much of a genius as you are a dream machine.

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Dream Machine wrote:^This. Especially based upon last year's thread. They haven't followed their their traditional action thus far. Although there is no reason to completely rule this week out.

Wow, you are a genius? What are your numbers bro?

I'm as much of a genius as you are a dream machine.

seancris

Postby seancris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Just calm down.

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Sorry. My internet was wigging out and made the post several times.

ValerOn1820

Postby ValerOn1820 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Just got: No decision reached...
1st UR 1/10

seancris

Postby seancris » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:35 pm

It seems like it's been since the 9th or so since anyone has seen any movement. FRNDR updates don't count as movement since it's the default status that everyone gets when the file goes complete.

So basically we've had no scholarship movement since early December, and no admissions in weeks either. Pretty odd.

corvid

Postby corvid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:11 pm

woo initial review! I hope they actually read my app as opposed to washington, which looks like they put about 0 effort into reading beyond the numbers.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

corvid wrote:woo initial review! I hope they actually read my app as opposed to washington, which looks like they put about 0 effort into reading beyond the numbers.

I don't think any schools look beyond the numbers besides some T14s or if you are borderline or URM. UF seems very number based when reviewing last cycles. Unless URM I think a 160 is the floor maybe 159

pret

Postby pret » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:
corvid wrote:woo initial review! I hope they actually read my app as opposed to washington, which looks like they put about 0 effort into reading beyond the numbers.

I don't think any schools look beyond the numbers besides some T14s or if you are borderline or URM. UF seems very number based when reviewing last cycles. Unless URM I think a 160 is the floor maybe 159

I believe many (most?) part-time programs are more lax with numbers.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 pm

pret wrote:
Its Always Sunny wrote:

I believe many (most?) part-time programs are more lax with numbers.

Part time programs are lax compared to full time numbers, but if you are applying part time you must compare you numbers to the part time numbers which are different. Example if 162 is full time and 159 is part time then having a 156 won't help you. It's all irrelevant anyways since UF doesn't have a part time program.

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am

I read on here that this year law schools may not have easier numbers for their part-time programs, as they are now required to report those numbers along with their full-time numbers.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:17 pm

I checked my status today (as I do everyday religiously!), said "file reviewed, NDR", and I started to freak out. But it looks like everyone sees this, so thanks TLS :)

166 3.43 white male FL resident. I guess this qualifies me as a "splitter". I'm still freaking out, UF is at the top of my list.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm starting to get antsy. It seems like UF has accepted less than 50 ppl or at most 100 based on TLS and LSN. I believe last year they accepted 800 or so people. It's weird to think they will send out 700 acceptances in the next 2 months. Also doesn't UF say you will have a decision by the end of April. Assuming that is the case I would have to pay a seat deposit to another shool to be safe because it is due march 15 at FSU

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:I'm starting to get antsy. It seems like UF has accepted less than 50 ppl or at most 100 based on TLS and LSN. I believe last year they accepted 800 or so people. It's weird to think they will send out 700 acceptances in the next 2 months. Also doesn't UF say you will have a decision by the end of April. Assuming that is the case I would have to pay a seat deposit to another shool to be safe because it is due march 15 at FSU

If it comes down to sending a seat deposit to FSU, email Michelle Adorno or another admissions official. I bet you'll have your admit soon after that. IIRC that exact senario happened in the 2011 or 2010 cycle on TLS.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:31 pm

I think FSU does that on purpose, although you are allowed to break your seat deposit with them. They also gave me a bit more time to send in the seat deposit when I told them I was torn between the two schools. That's some food for thought, because I have no idea how UF would have reacted if the situation were reversed.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:I'm starting to get antsy. It seems like UF has accepted less than 50 ppl or at most 100 based on TLS and LSN. I believe last year they accepted 800 or so people. It's weird to think they will send out 700 acceptances in the next 2 months. Also doesn't UF say you will have a decision by the end of April. Assuming that is the case I would have to pay a seat deposit to another shool to be safe because it is due march 15 at FSU

My seat deposit at FSU isn't due to April 15th, I wonder why we have different dates. Anyways I have to imagine UF has to start sending out a decent amount of decision soon... or at least I hope so.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 pm

What was everyone's time frame between applying and receiving their decision? It seems like the early birds applied in when it was first available and heard back by the holidays?

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Geaux12 wrote:What was everyone's time frame between applying and receiving their decision? It seems like the early birds applied in when it was first available and heard back by the holidays?

Not really. Of the "early birds" who applied, the only ones who hear back by the holidays are auto-admits. No one else has heard back. There have been no rejections and should be no rejections until March.

Auto-admits started recieving admissions notices around Nov. 15th and continued to recieve admit notices through mid-December, when school closed for the holidays. Since then it seems like there has only been one batch of admissions IIRC, which was apx. January 9th.

So don't think so much about decision being related to your app date as much as the strength of your numbers. If you have borderline or lower numbers, you will hear back in March/April most likely. You will only likely hear back before then if you are a particularly strong applicant.

Also, I just wanted to post as an admitted student about the sudden increase in recruiting emails. Two UF-affiliated recruiting people emailed me this week, one alum and one current 1L student. Usually I get nothing except a monthly or biweekly AS newsletter that advertises one of their certificate programs or something like that... Maybe the increase is a sign that they're going to be sending scholarships out soon? It's about time that they send out a second batch of scholarships based on last year's schedule. It would make sense that they would do a little extra advertising/recruiting before sending out scholly offers.

Probably wishful thinking, but that's what this thread is for lol.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:40 am

seancris wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:What was everyone's time frame between applying and receiving their decision? It seems like the early birds applied in when it was first available and heard back by the holidays?

Not really. Of the "early birds" who applied, the only ones who hear back by the holidays are auto-admits. No one else has heard back. There have been no rejections and should be no rejections until March.

Auto-admits started recieving admissions notices around Nov. 15th and continued to recieve admit notices through mid-December, when school closed for the holidays. Since then it seems like there has only been one batch of admissions IIRC, which was apx. January 9th.

So don't think so much about decision being related to your app date as much as the strength of your numbers. If you have borderline or lower numbers, you will hear back in March/April most likely. You will only likely hear back before then if you are a particularly strong applicant.

Also, I just wanted to post as an admitted student about the sudden increase in recruiting emails. Two UF-affiliated recruiting people emailed me this week, one alum and one current 1L student. Usually I get nothing except a monthly or biweekly AS newsletter that advertises one of their certificate programs or something like that... Maybe the increase is a sign that they're going to be sending scholarships out soon? It's about time that they send out a second batch of scholarships based on last year's schedule. It would make sense that they would do a little extra advertising/recruiting before sending out scholly offers.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to tackle the enormous amount of information on TLS, looks like I should be completing FAFSA now regardless of whether I've been admitted to schools or not.

Like I posted earlier, I'm a 166-3.43. Hopeful!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 am

seancris wrote:Also, I just wanted to post as an admitted student about the sudden increase in recruiting emails. Two UF-affiliated recruiting people emailed me this week, one alum and one current 1L student. Usually I get nothing except a monthly or biweekly AS newsletter that advertises one of their certificate programs or something like that... Maybe the increase is a sign that they're going to be sending scholarships out soon? It's about time that they send out a second batch of scholarships based on last year's schedule. It would make sense that they would do a little extra advertising/recruiting before sending out scholly offers.

SRTs are matched to an accepted student and send out an email welcoming them to the school. They have us do it in the spring so they can match each of us with an accepted student, and also probably so we actually send out the email because it's not finals time.

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 am

MichNole19 wrote:

My seat deposit at FSU isn't due to April 15th, I wonder why we have different dates. Anyways I have to imagine UF has to start sending out a decent amount of decision soon... or at least I hope so.

Your probably right on the date. I was going based off memory and knew it was the 15th lol. I figure most Florida residents in this thread applied to FSU also and I know this gets brought up every year, but for applicants this cycle do you still feel that UF is superior to FSU. Idk if it is because UF has a better undergrad, but most people I talk to say go to UF if you have the choice. I personally only feel that UF has an upper leg on the lay prestige and the larger alumni network. I plan on touring both schools to see where I like atmosphere and location better, but just wanted other applicants opinions.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:
MichNole19 wrote:

Your probably right on the date. I was going based off memory and knew it was the 15th lol. I figure most Florida residents in this thread applied to FSU also and I know this gets brought up every year, but for applicants this cycle do you still feel that UF is superior to FSU. Idk if it is because UF has a better undergrad, but most people I talk to say go to UF if you have the choice. I personally only feel that UF has an upper leg on the lay prestige and the larger alumni network. I plan on touring both schools to see where I like atmosphere and location better, but just wanted other applicants opinions.

Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but my mom's friend in Tampa who attended UF law back in the day works for a large, national firm, and he objectively told me without even knowing where I'd gotten in, that they reavily recruit UF and FSU grads, with no preference for one or the other, and that that they generally do a great job. Recruitment has obviously decreased he told me, given the state of the legal market, but take that for what it's worth. This is of course one firm out of many in the state of Florida, but it's some perspective nonetheless.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 pm

You should probably go ahead and make a thread for that. I know TLS is emphasizing avoiding these types of discussions on the admissions boards because they inevitably end up in flaming and butthurt.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:30 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:You should probably go ahead and make a thread for that. I know TLS is emphasizing avoiding these types of discussions on the admissions boards because they inevitably end up in flaming and butthurt.

Says the person who brought up a VERY similar discussion last year ;)

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:You should probably go ahead and make a thread for that. I know TLS is emphasizing avoiding these types of discussions on the admissions boards because they inevitably end up in flaming and butthurt.

Lol WTF

"Teacher, teacher, you forgot to give us homework!"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”