U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UMiamiCane

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 am

Just want to clarify about the east side of town. Although the east side technically starts to the east of Main St, the area immediately to the east of Main St (and just north of downtown) is one of the most beautiful parts of town. This is the historic district, called Duck Pond. It's filled with beautiful Victorian houses, the Thomas Center (used to be an old hotel, now owned by the city available for functions- but is nice to just walk around). There's a small creek that winds through the middle of the neighborhood, where some of the nicest houses are. Some of the old houses are even broken down into apartments now, available for rent.

It starts to get a little funny to the east of NE 9th St and definitely to the east of Waldo Rd.

VanillaBear

Postby VanillaBear » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:32 am

Has anyone accepted last week received a scholarship offer :?: I know people who were admitted well before Christmas received notices not too long after their acceptance letters.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm

VanillaBear wrote:Has anyone accepted last week received a scholarship offer :?: I know people who were admitted well before Christmas received notices not too long after their acceptance letters.

No. *Some* auto-admits from November recieved scholarship offers apx. 3 weeks later. There has only been one batch of scholarship offers sent out to date, and it was only at that time in the beginning/middle of December. More scholarship offers should be sent out in the next few weeks if history is an indicator, but there is no relationship between admission date and scholarship offer (meaning the scholarship offer isn't going to come at a set time period after your admit letter).

UF is just going to keep sending out scholarship offers in batches (30 in a day, nothing for a month, 30 more, etc.), and only one batch has gone out so far.

Edit to add: last month I emailed Michelle Adorno to ask about merit-aid. Here's what she told me about the process. Hopefully it's alright to post here.

To give you some background on the scholarship review process, the Financial Aid Committee reviews and re-reviews files for scholarship consideration on an ongoing basis through April. Scholarship decisions are not necessarily made in the order in which a candidate is admitted. The review process is a comparative, holistic one and awards are determined by considering not only academic credentials and LSAT score, but also the non-quantitative factors in a file.

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:13 am

seancris wrote:Edit to add: last month I emailed Michelle Adorno to ask about merit-aid. Here's what she told me about the process. Hopefully it's alright to post here.

To give you some background on the scholarship review process, the Financial Aid Committee reviews and re-reviews files for scholarship consideration on an ongoing basis through April. Scholarship decisions are not necessarily made in the order in which a candidate is admitted. The review process is a comparative, holistic one and awards are determined by considering not only academic credentials and LSAT score, but also the non-quantitative factors in a file.

Thanks for sharing! That does clarify the seemingly random awards. I really was starting to think they picked them out of a hat.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 am

UMiamiCane wrote:Thanks for sharing! That does clarify the seemingly random awards. I really was starting to think they picked them out of a hat.

I STILL think that's how they do it.

NoleGirl12

Postby NoleGirl12 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:27 pm

I just visited the school yesterday and I have to say I was pretty impressed. The court room and the law library are great. the campus itself is really nice and everyone I came in contact with was great. My tour guide went to FSU for undergrad so I was able to get a more objective (well objective from an FSU student perspective) on Levin.

Price + Campus = UF on my short list.

seancris

Postby seancris » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:Thanks for sharing! That does clarify the seemingly random awards. I really was starting to think they picked them out of a hat.

I STILL think that's how they do it.

Went back over one or two scholarship recipients at random, it IS pretty random so far. If those anecdotes are any real indicator, there may be extreme preference given to non-trads or high LSAT scores. My index is considerably higher than an applicant who reported recieving a 14k/yr scholarship (whereas I have yet to recieve a dime), but that applicant also has been in the workforce for 8+ years whereas I'm applying as a senior ugrad.

I hope I at least get something meager. I would be thrilled with just half of that person's scholarship. I don't think there's anyway that I could justify paying sticker, considering these tuition increases. I'd rather work for a year and retake.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:57 pm

I too am in the "file reviewed, no decision reached" purgatory this late in the game (3.81, 162). It's been a few months. I hate to be downer, but I believe we're mostly rejects. On the previous UF threads, they don't start sending out reject letter until early March. I speculate that they will start at the top of our pile and make their way down based strictly on GPA and LSAT soon. However, they may be waiting long enough to consider December LSAT scores to see if the applicant pool becomes even marginally stronger. With record numbers of applicants, a school like UF should have no problem meeting their numbers goal for this year. The good news, I suppose, is that they could come up short in accepted students who actually decide to attend and pull a few out of the pile. All in all however, I think we're in the reject pile, but they're waiting until early March to let us know.

And with regard to them not averaging scores, a school like UF they probably receive so many 3.8/162s, they need some way to differentiate otherwise equal applicants.

Once again, this is all speculation.

wolf

Postby wolf » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I too am in the "file reviewed, no decision reached" purgatory this late in the game (3.81, 162). It's been a few months. I hate to be downer, but I believe we're mostly rejects. On the previous UF threads, they don't start sending out reject letter until early March. I speculate that they will start at the top of our pile and make their way down based strictly on GPA and LSAT soon. However, they may be waiting long enough to consider December LSAT scores to see if the applicant pool becomes even marginally stronger. With record numbers of applicants, a school like UF should have no problem meeting their numbers goal for this year. The good news, I suppose, is that they could come up short in accepted students who actually decide to attend and pull a few out of the pile. All in all however, I think we're in the reject pile, but they're waiting until early March to let us know.

And with regard to them not averaging scores, a school like UF they probably receive so many 3.8/162s, they need some way to differentiate otherwise equal applicants.

I have no idea what they are doing. I have been if the FRNDR for a while too. I have a 3.78 / 167 and I think I am just going to withdraw. I really want to work in the Southeast after graduation and UF with a big scholarship would have been tempting.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:08 pm

wolf wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:I too am in the "file reviewed, no decision reached" purgatory this late in the game (3.81, 162). It's been a few months. I hate to be downer, but I believe we're mostly rejects. On the previous UF threads, they don't start sending out reject letter until early March. I speculate that they will start at the top of our pile and make their way down based strictly on GPA and LSAT soon. However, they may be waiting long enough to consider December LSAT scores to see if the applicant pool becomes even marginally stronger. With record numbers of applicants, a school like UF should have no problem meeting their numbers goal for this year. The good news, I suppose, is that they could come up short in accepted students who actually decide to attend and pull a few out of the pile. All in all however, I think we're in the reject pile, but they're waiting until early March to let us know.

I have no idea what they are doing. I have been if the FRNDR for a while too. I have a 3.78 / 167 and I think I am just going to withdraw. I really want to work in the Southeast after graduation and UF with a big scholarship would have been tempting.

Damn, that's insane. doesn't give much hope for those of us below 167 lol.

seancris

Postby seancris » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Dream Machine wrote:I too am in the "file reviewed, no decision reached" purgatory this late in the game (3.81, 162). It's been a few months. I hate to be downer, but I believe we're mostly rejects...

No, I really don't agree with that. Firstly, this is not "late in the game" it's January, and there have only been a small handful of admits since before the holiday season. It's the middle of the cycle before the bulk of decisions have been made.

3.8/162 is a definite admit to UF, barring character issues. Check out last year's thread and you'll see what I mean. Last year people got in consistently with lower numbers. Based on last year it seems like even 3.8/160 would be a definite admit.

Even if you ignore history, 162 is median and 3.8 is above median. There's no way applicants with above median numbers are "mostly rejects."

Just chill. You'll get your letter soon.

broncos_fan_26

Postby broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

wolf wrote:

bro, send in LOCI. u r probably just YP

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:
wolf wrote:

bro, send in LOCI. u r probably just YP

Especially as an out-of-state student. Not many people with your stats would consider paying Out of State tutition at UF. My guess would be YP as well.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Last edited by salsahips on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaysgirl42671

Postby jaysgirl42671 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Fabulous. Just got the update that I am "FR/NDR". Thus begins my time in purgatory...

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Fabulous. Just got the update that I am "FR/NDR". Thus begins my time in purgatory...

Me as well... I'm still not sure if FRNDR is good or bad... I guess it's better than outright rejection.

seancris

Postby seancris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

georgia32 wrote:
jaysgirl42671 wrote:Fabulous. Just got the update that I am "FR/NDR". Thus begins my time in purgatory...

Me as well... I'm still not sure if FRNDR is good or bad... I guess it's better than outright rejection.

It's neutral. Everyone gets FRNDR.

pret

Postby pret » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi, I know a lot of people have discussed the "File Reviewed, No Decision Reached" status so please excuse me if I sound redundant.

I have one question: does necessarily EVERYONE get this update? The reason I'm asking is because I've received this update even though I have numbers that should make me an auto-reject. Even though I know what the outcome will be, I'd just like to know if I wasn't an auto-reject for this school.

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 pm

pret wrote:I have one question: does necessarily EVERYONE get this update?

Yes. Everyone gets FRNDR. Auto-admits and dings alike will get it.

disconnected

Postby disconnected » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:03 am

Decisions should be going out this week if history repeats itself.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:11 pm

disconnected wrote:Decisions should be going out this week if history repeats itself.

This post just made my day.

genius5432

Postby genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:34 pm

LawStudent89 wrote:
disconnected wrote:Decisions should be going out this week if history repeats itself.

It really shouldn't since it seems to be someone's prediction based on evidence which has not been proven to correlate to Florida's 2012 acceptance/rejection cycle. Awesome though it would be, I certainly would not grant it any weight simply because someone posted it on the TLS forum. Point is, don't get your hopes up.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 pm

genius5432 wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:

It really shouldn't since it seems to be someone's prediction based on evidence which has not been proven to correlate to Florida's 2012 acceptance/rejection cycle. Awesome though it would be, I certainly would not grant it any weight simply because someone posted it on the TLS forum. Point is, don't get your hopes up.

Sorry, nobody's gonna break my stride. Still made my day! But thank you.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:31 pm

genius5432 wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:

^This. Especially based upon last year's thread. They haven't followed their their traditional action thus far. Although there is no reason to completely rule this week out.

Wow, you are a genius? What are your numbers bro?

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:34 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:

^This. Especially based upon last year's thread. They haven't followed their their traditional action thus far. Although there is no reason to completely rule this week out.

It would be nice if there was any movement this week, but if we were basing it on last year there should have been acceptances the last few weeks as well. I don't know what UF is doing this year.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”