U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
skirkland

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Well, I got my scholarship offer today. 14K/year with a 2.8 stipulation. I wasn't expecting that and this certainly makes my decision harder. I sort of had my heart set on William and Mary with 20k/Year.

My status checker updated late last night, it was only the addition of a "seat deposit paid" check box. It stills says "decision reach, notification sent" under status.

I was a little sad when I opened the big manilla envelope and found no scholarship information. I felt like an idiot when I realized I was also holding a regular envelope from UF with scholarship information.

Congrats to those out there, and good luck to those waiting.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:00 pm

beezy08 wrote:
Added: if anyone has a clue as to what the curve at UF is, or how hard it is to maintain a 2.8, that info would be very much appreciated

Curve is supposed to be set around 3.2.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Grats on the scholarships, guys. I'm glad to hear that the awards are going up with the tuition increases. Max scholly used to be 12k IIRC.

There is no additonal application for merit-based scholarships, right? We're just waiting on letters?

I find this pretty strange though, because yesterday I did recieve a packet in the mail from UF which only included a "congratulations" letter from Dean Jerry and a UF Law "Superpowers" magazine. No scholly info, which I am of course expecting. Last year someone with my numbers reported 8k/year. And beezy and I got in with the same batch so I'm thinking 9k this year with the apparent scholly/tuition increases.

If I got a scholly offer for 9k a year at UF I'd be sending my seat deposit in today.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:22 pm

For those who've gotten scholarship offers, can you check your status checker and tell me what the most recent "mailing" is for you?

skirkland

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

seancris wrote:For those who've gotten scholarship offers, can you check your status checker and tell me what the most recent "mailing" is for you?

12/6/2011 - Welcome Letter from Dean Jerry

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:29 pm

skirkland wrote:
seancris wrote:For those who've gotten scholarship offers, can you check your status checker and tell me what the most recent "mailing" is for you?

12/6/2011 - Welcome Letter from Dean Jerry

That's exactly what mine says. Wondering if I should call and ask where my scholly offer is.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm

skirkland wrote:I felt like an idiot when I realized I was also holding a regular envelope from UF with scholarship information.

Reading comp fail on my part. The scholly offer comes in a regular envelope, not the big packet with the "welcome letter." So I'm just waiting on the regular letter.

Good to know.

vguerra

Postby vguerra » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm

skirkland wrote:Well, I got my scholarship offer today. 14K/year with a 2.8 stipulation. I wasn't expecting that and this certainly makes my decision harder. I sort of had my heart set on William and Mary with 20k/Year.

My status checker updated late last night, it was only the addition of a "seat deposit paid" check box. It stills says "decision reach, notification sent" under status.

I was a little sad when I opened the big manilla envelope and found no scholarship information. I felt like an idiot when I realized I was also holding a regular envelope from UF with scholarship information.

did your offer come with your acceptance then/same day?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:21 pm

skirkland wrote:Well, I got my scholarship offer today. 14K/year with a 2.8 stipulation. I wasn't expecting that and this certainly makes my decision harder. I sort of had my heart set on William and Mary with 20k/Year.

Wouldn't W&M with 20k/yr still be cheaper than UoF with 14k/yr? Plus isn't W&M technically the better school?

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:29 pm

got 14k a year got it in the mail today.

skirkland

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:38 pm

JoeMo wrote:

Wouldn't W&M with 20k/yr still be cheaper than UoF with 14k/yr? Plus isn't W&M technically the better school?

I am a Florida resident so my 14k brings me down to 4k tuition.
William and Mary is 38k-10k in state waiver-4k fellowship -6k scholarship brings me down to 18k

W&M is ranked 27, UF is ranked 47

Im not sure the 20 point jump is worth the 42k difference. I have to decide if I want to work in FL I guess. The degree from UF could be of the same value here in Florida as the William and Mary degree, possibly more since UF is so highly regarded within the state.
Last edited by skirkland on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skirkland

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:41 pm

vguerra wrote:

did your offer come with your acceptance then/same day?

Acceptance came right after thanksgiving. The scholarship came today. The welcome letter was in a big manilla envelope. The scholarship offer was in a regular UF envelope separately, but both the welcome letter and scholarship letter came on the same day.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Talked to admissions and financial aid. Don't expect a scholarship letter until 2012 if you didn't get one in this batch. They said that they've only sent one batch of scholarship letters, and that they won't be sending any others until after the holidays.

If anyone has recieved an offer and doesn't plan to attend UF, let them know so that they can free up the $ for the rest of us.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

skirkland wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

I am a Florida resident so my 14k brings me down to 4k tuition.
William and Mary is 38k-10k in state waiver-4k fellowship -6k scholarship brings me down to 18k

Im not sure the 20 point jump is worth the 42k difference. I have to decide if I want to work in FL I guess. The degree from UF could be of the same value here in Florida as the William and Mary degree, possibly more since UF is so highly regarded within the state.

I see, I didn't think they were giving you that much $ as an in-state resident given the already super cheap tuition. That's a tough one. I guess you better start looking at employment prospects and what you really want to do. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. It's half a dozen in one hand and six in the other. EEEESH

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:24 pm

skirkland wrote:I am a Florida resident so my 14k brings me down to 4k tuition.

I wouldn't assume that a 14k scholly = 4k tuition each year. In fact, current tuition is 18.7k a year which makes it closer to 5k based on this year's numbers. UF is also increasing tuition at a rate of 15% annually, which means that the Fall 2012 entering class is going to pay 21.5k a year in tuition which means that you'll be paying 7.5k a year minimum, nearly double your estimate, even with the scholly.

That assumes that they will cap tuition increases at 21.5k, which is not necessarily going to be the case either. If they continue to increase tuition at 15% a year throughout our time in law school, we'll be paying around 27k sticker by 3L.

skirkland

Postby skirkland » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:33 pm

seancris wrote:
skirkland wrote:I am a Florida resident so my 14k brings me down to 4k tuition.

I wouldn't assume that a 14k scholly = 4k tuition each year. In fact, current tuition is 18.7k a year which makes it closer to 5k based on this year's numbers. UF is also increasing tuition at a rate of 15% annually, which means that the Fall 2012 entering class is going to pay 21.5k a year in tuition which means that you'll be paying 7.5k a year minimum, nearly double your estimate, even with the scholly.

That assumes that they will cap tuition increases at 21.5k, which is not necessarily going to be the case either. If they continue to increase tuition at 15% a year throughout our time in law school, we'll be paying around 27k sticker by 3L.

Thank you for that valid point. I guess I have to research the tuition increases for William and Mary to see if there is a similar trend. If not, the William and Mary devil on my shoulder may win this one.

I'm grateful for both opportunities either way. This time last year I had just scored a 148 on my first LSAT practice exam and I cried for an hour thinking I'd never even get into law school.

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm

skirkland wrote:Thank you for that valid point. I guess I have to research the tuition increases for William and Mary to see if there is a similar trend. If not, the William and Mary devil on my shoulder may win this one.

I'm grateful for both opportunities either way. This time last year I had just scored a 148 on my first LSAT practice exam and I cried for an hour thinking I'd never even get into law school.

Ohh btw, when I spoke with financial aid at UF this morning, they recommended sending admissions any informations regarding scholarship offers at other schools so that the scholarship committee could consider them. Seems like you may be able to use the UF scholly as a bargaining chip with W&M to negotiate an even better offer.

Best of luck with your decision either way, and congrats!

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Congrats everyone on your scholarships offers!!!!

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 pm

I regret not paying attention before, but have "Seat deposit" and "orientation fee" always been under fees in the status checker? I could have sworn that it said application fee before. What does this mean? My status is still "file reviewed- no decision reached".

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm

ash0117 wrote:I regret not paying attention before, but have "Seat deposit" and "orientation fee" always been under fees in the status checker? I could have sworn that it said application fee before. What does this mean? My status is still "file reviewed- no decision reached".

Not sure if those fees have always been listed, but I wouldn't read into it either way. You'll be notified as soon as you're in.

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:48 am

ash0117 wrote:I regret not paying attention before, but have "Seat deposit" and "orientation fee" always been under fees in the status checker? I could have sworn that it said application fee before. What does this mean? My status is still "file reviewed- no decision reached".

Those have always been there for me :( Hopefully we'll get good news this upcomming week!

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm

any decisions?/status changes?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:39 am

To whoever was caring about the rankings difference, it doesn't matter. Weigh the total costs and, more importantly, where you want to practice

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:To whoever was caring about the rankings difference, it doesn't matter. Weigh the total costs and, more importantly, where you want to practice

I simply said IMO that W&M is the better school which was counterpointed by arguing the #27 to #47 difference. I think there's way more that goes into what makes the school a better school.

I do agree that where you want to practice makes a huge difference outside of the T14 but so should the quality of the education you're going to receive and the potential for being employable after you graduate.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:23 pm

JoeMo wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:To whoever was caring about the rankings difference, it doesn't matter. Weigh the total costs and, more importantly, where you want to practice

I simply said IMO that W&M is the better school which was counterpointed by arguing the #27 to #47 difference. I think there's way more that goes into what makes the school a better school.

I do agree that where you want to practice makes a huge difference outside of the T14 but so should the quality of the education you're going to receive and the potential for being employable after you graduate.

lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”