U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Silver

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28 pm

I didn't say my softs were "unremarkable" I said I don't know if they are compared to someone elses. Someone else referenced my work experience, thats what I meant was not extraordinary. I work at a law firm, isn't that most people that want to go to law school and take a year off do?
Not really. Most of the people I know who are retaking are just getting jobs wherever they can.

I think that working at a law firm for a year would be a pretty significant soft. It's not like most of us are curing cancer or anything, so aside from PI stuff that adcomms seem to really value, I can't think of anything better than that as far as work experience. It shows that you know what you're getting into and it probably shows more professionalism than working a reglar non-law jerb.
Last edited by seancris on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:32 pm

seancris wrote:
I didn't say my softs were "unremarkable" I said I don't know if they are compared to someone elses. Someone else referenced my work experience, thats what I meant was not extraordinary. I work at a law firm, isn't that most people that want to go to law school and take a year off do?
Not really. Most of the people I know who are retaking are just getting jobs wherever they can.

I think that working at a law firm for a year would be a pretty significant soft.
:lol:

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Interview with UF Dean of Admissions:

http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... lle-adorno

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:50 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
seancris wrote:

I think that working at a law firm for a year would be a pretty significant soft.

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN
wtf?

Its Always Sunny

New

Post by Its Always Sunny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Soo... ASD brunch is at 1045, but the program starts at 12 correct? A previous email said 11, but I'm sure it changed since then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amparra

New

Post by amparra » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:58 pm

seancris wrote:

I think that working at a law firm for a year would be a pretty significant soft. It's not like most of us are curing cancer or anything, so aside from PI stuff that adcomms seem to really value, I can't think of anything better than that as far as work experience. It shows that you know what you're getting into and it probably shows more professionalism than working a reglar non-law jerb.
It is PI...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:15 pm

seancris wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
seancris wrote:

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN
wtf?
In case you are not aware, I am LMMN. I also have law firm experience. It is not significant in the same way that having extracurriculars is not significant.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:20 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
seancris wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote: :lol:

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN

PAGING LMMN
wtf?
In case you are not aware, I am LMMN. I also have law firm experience. It is not significant in the same way that having extracurriculars is not significant.
Um. Alright. So in one post I'm condemned as offensive for assuming URM boost when stats don't account for a scholarship, and when I backtrack and concede that PI firm softs could account for the discrepancy, I'm corrected that law firm experience is "not significant." Welcome to TLS.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:26 pm

What does lmmn mean and why are you paging yourself

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:28 pm

seancris wrote:
Um. Alright. So in one post I'm condemned as offensive for assuming URM boost when stats don't account for a scholarship, and when I backtrack and concede that PI firm softs could account for the discrepancy, I'm corrected that law firm experience is "not significant." Welcome to TLS.
Or, as I have been saying since the very fucking beginning (you're starting to piss me off now, can you tell?) the scholarships are given out without ANY rhyme or reason whatsoever. There is literally nothing about last year's scholarship recipients that indicates any sort of pattern. As someone that has "read through three years of past threads," it really doesn't seem that way. 1) because the lack of a pattern has been addressed before and 2) because you've already been corrected for giving out false scholarship negotiation info.

What does lmmn mean and why are you paging yourself
LMMN is an abbreviation of my username, and FTH (FeelTheHeat) was paging me because I have first hand experience with the issue of law firm experience being a relatively unimportant soft.

ETA: God DAMN, I hate when I have to repeat myself.
Last edited by LSATmakesMeNeurotic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

sorry
also, when i read what you write, I imagine you as the girl with the dragon tattoo, and it's pretty rad

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:40 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Or, as I have been saying since the very fucking beginning (you're starting to piss me off now, can you tell?) the scholarships are given out without ANY rhyme or reason whatsoever. There is literally nothing about last year's scholarship recipients that indicates any sort of pattern. As someone that has "read through three years of past threads," it really doesn't seem that way. 1) because the lack of a pattern has been addressed before and 2) because you've already been corrected for giving out false scholarship negotiation info.
Oh yes, I am sure that this is it. LMMN has said it, therefore it is true. Sorry for not taking your word on it.

In fact, when you check LSN for this cycle there is a pretty damn clear numbers-based pattern until you get to the 163s. I described this pattern a few days ago, and while you seized upon one or two exceptions to what was presented as a generalized pattern, that doesn't constitute "being corrected for giving out false info."

I'm sure that there is a pattern for the 163s and under for this cycle. It's totally illogical to think that there is absolutely nothing, and that there's just some monkey pressing buttons or a lottery system. There's no reason for UF to have such a system. So if I reject the premise of randomness, it's not unreasonable to assume the pattern that they have for the 163s and under for this cycle is probably softs-based, which is why I've been inquiring about that.

Turns out, this poster has WE working with a PI firm and self-identifies as a non-URM minority. One of the previous posters (162/3.8 ) was a war refugee. Might be a pattern after all.

Stop being a douche.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:42 pm

In 2010, UF placed 16% of those reporting in 501+ law firms and 19.6% in 51-250 firms. (--LinkRemoved--)

In 2010, FSU put 5.8% of those reporting in 501+ law firms and 11.7% in 51-250 firms.(--LinkRemoved--)

I may be in Gainesville in the fall. Even as a ultra mega huge Nole fan, it's hard ignore these numbers given my goals in private practice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:53 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Are you allowed to park your car at the law school overnight if you are going to ASD on Friday?
Yeah. Just make sure you have a parking pass for Friday from the Student Affairs office.
Thank you; it actually said in the email though that parking is lifted on Friday. Does anyone know if you still to obtain some sort of verification for parking? Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I really don't want to get my car towed.
Last edited by Dream Machine on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 pm

noleknight16 wrote:In 2010, UF placed 16% of those reporting in 501+ law firms and 19.6% in 51-250 firms. (--LinkRemoved--)

In 2010, FSU put 5.8% of those reporting in 501+ law firms and 11.7% in 51-250 firms.(--LinkRemoved--)

I may be in Gainesville in the fall. Even as a ultra mega huge Nole fan, it's hard ignore these numbers given my goals in private practice.
27/384 is still only 7% of the class, though. And only 33 (8.5% of the class) is in 51-250. So only 15.5% of the total class met the goal of securing work at a 51+ firm. Is that right? And it says prepared in June 2011 for the c/o2010, so that's data from 9 months rather than at graduation?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:56 pm

seancris wrote: Stop being a douche.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:06 pm

seancris wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:In 2010, UF placed 16% of those reporting in 501+ law firms and 19.6% in 51-250 firms. (--LinkRemoved--)

27/384 is still only 7% of the class, though. And only 33 (8.5% of the class) is in 51-250. So only 15.5% of the total class met the goal of securing work at a 51+ firm. Is that right? And it says prepared in June 2011 for the c/o2010, so that's data from 9 months rather than at graduation?
Fair point. To give the same comparison to FSU 6/242 is 2.5% and 12/242 is 4.9%. 7.4% securing work 51+.

Both school seem to be very low. The FL legal market must be dreadful right now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

seancris wrote: Oh yes, I am sure that this is it. LMMN has said it, therefore it is true. Sorry for not taking your word on it.

In fact, when you check LSN for this cycle there is a pretty damn clear numbers-based pattern until you get to the 163s. I described this pattern a few days ago, and while you seized upon one or two exceptions to what was presented as a generalized pattern, that doesn't constitute "being corrected for giving out false info."

I'm sure that there is a pattern for the 163s and under for this cycle. It's totally illogical to think that there is absolutely nothing, and that there's just some monkey pressing buttons or a lottery system. There's no reason for UF to have such a system. So if I reject the premise of randomness, it's not unreasonable to assume the pattern that they have for the 163s and under for this cycle is probably softs-based, which is why I've been inquiring about that.

Turns out, this poster has WE working with a PI firm and self-identifies as a non-URM minority. One of the previous posters (162/3.8 ) was a war refugee. Might be a pattern after all.
Stop being a douche.

seancris wrote: No luck whatsoever. Been trying since December with great offers from much higher ranked schools as leverage and numbers above both medians. Plus I've been following the UF admit thread for the past two years (lame, I know) and I haven't heard of them upping an offer.
Direct quote from you. That warranted correction, because while it is improbable, it is most certainly possible. Don't be one of the know-it-all 0L's that everyone hates.

Next, I would expect a 162/3.8 to get a scholarship normally (because of the high GPA), but being a war refugee is certainly more of a significant soft than working in a law firm is. If you've taken a year off, they expect you to have been working, and it doesn't matter if it was a law firm or not. If you feel like expounding on the similarities between the two, then please do so, because one has significant softs, and the other does not. Granted, the self-identified minority could have been one that UF is particularly interested in having for diversity purposes, but there is (according to UF) no URM boost.

Now let me rephrase my "no rhyme or reason" rhetoric. First, yes, THIS year, there there seems to be an obvious pattern in that if you have super high numbers (above the 75th%), then you're likely getting a scholarship. Likewise, if you are below the 25%, you are likely not going to get a scholarship barring some weird circumstances. When it comes to the middle/high end of the pack however (which is where you fall, and you are the one I have been addressing about this for the entire year), there does not seem to be any sort of pattern. Only half of the 164's on LSN have scholarship offers (and there are only 14). Now direct your attention to last year's LSN grid. You will see that there is no pattern at all. None. someone with a 180/3.79 did not get a scholarship. Don't call something illogical if you haven't looked at all of the numbers from years past. Same is true for the 2009 application year. So while I owe you an apology because this year is looking like UF actually has their shit together for once, you need to realize that it is entirely possible that they threw the applications down a set of stairs and the ones that came out on top got scholarships.

ETA: If you stop being insufferable, I will stop being a douche.
Last edited by LSATmakesMeNeurotic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Dream Machine wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Are you allowed to park your car at the law school overnight if you are going to ASD on Friday?
Yeah. Just make sure you have a parking pass for Friday from the Student Affairs office.
Thank you; it actually said in the email though that parking is lifted on Friday. Does anyone know if you still to obtain some sort of verification for parking? Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I really don't want to get my car towed.
If parking is lifted, then you should be okay. They've probably alerted the Parking and Transportation people on campus about this event, and they ticket before they tow. Parking is lifted after 4pm in the lot, so the overnight parking would be okay at any rate.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:33 pm

seancris wrote: No luck whatsoever. Been trying since December with great offers from much higher ranked schools as leverage and numbers above both medians. Plus I've been following the UF admit thread for the past two years (lame, I know) and I haven't heard of them upping an offer.
Direct quote from you. That warranted correction, because while it is improbable, it is most certainly possible. Don't be one of the know-it-all 0L's that everyone hates.
Really? You're upset over an improbable/impossible distinction when I didn't even say that it was impossible? It's cool to point out that I had forgotten something from over a year ago (one or two negotiating offers up), but your reaction is pretty incongruent. And to date no one has reported successfully negotiating with UF during this cycle.
Next, I would expect a 162/3.8 to get a scholarship normally (because of the high GPA), but being a war refugee is certainly more of a significant soft than working in a law firm is. If you've taken a year off, they expect you to have been working, and it doesn't matter if it was a law firm or not. If you feel like expounding on the similarities between the two, then please do so, because one has significant softs, and the other does not. Granted, the self-identified minority could have been one that UF is particularly interested in having for diversity purposes, but there is (according to UF) no URM boost.
CSB. We agree that there are some soft factors (at the very least being non-URM minorities) that may have elicited the scholarships this year. And... wait... holy fuck! That's exactly what I was saying earlier that prompted you to douchefully confront me, insisting that "the scholarships are given out without ANY rhyme or reason whatsoever."
Meh. It's not inconceivable that amparra looked like a more merit-worthy candidate than I did due to her work experience, despite me having higher stats. In fact, it's apparent from the results. This randomness standard that you have is just dumb for any year, but particularly for this year where the scholarships seem to have a consistent pattern.
When it comes to the middle/high end of the pack however (which is where you fall, and you are the one I have been addressing about this for the entire year), there does not seem to be any sort of pattern. Only half of the 164's on LSN have scholarship offers (and there are only 14).
Alright. Half of the 164s have offers... and practically all of that half of the 164s are at the top half of the GPA spectrum. And then go to the 163 column. Only one has an offer (or had, last I checked). So that's what I'm trying to figure out. How to maximize your chances when you're an outlier.

And all I've been doing is inquiring into those outliers who got offers to maybe get some insight into the reasoning behind selecting the lone 163/158/162 etc.
Now direct your attention to last year's LSN grid. You will see that there is no pattern at all. None. someone with a 180/3.79 did not get a scholarship. Don't call something illogical if you haven't looked at all of the numbers from years past. Same is true for the 2009 application year. So while I owe you an apology because this year is looking like UF actually has their shit together for once, you need to realize that it is entirely possible that they threw the applications down a set of stairs and the ones that came out on top got scholarships.
I'll take your word for it. I remember that I saw a pattern last year in the thread, I remember talking with Barbie and others about my chances (which, must have been based on a pattern of some kind), and I remember going through LSN and chancing myself with my current LSAT score and deciding not to retake because I liked my chances.

But I didn't reject your randomness idea because of the data, I rejected it because it's not logical. Why would it be random? There is a committee, which meets and decides who gets money and who doesn't. This committee must have some basis for their decisions. And the committee is interested in attracting the best qualified candidates while spending the least amount of money to do it. And clearly there is a pattern for this cycle. Those are the reasons that I called it illogical/rejected it.

I'm just trying to figure out the merit-aid process. If you think it's random and I'm wasting my time, that's fine. But you don't need to condescend and act like you've schooled me on the process. I didn't ask you for any input. Provide your own point of view if you want to, but we don't need TLS drahms and interpersonal conflict ITT where people are just trying to learn about/discuss the process.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:50 pm

seancris wrote:I remember talking with Barbie
I'll let you figure out why I chose to pick this out.

I'm done. Let's move on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 pm

seancris wrote:I remember talking with Barbie
I'll let you figure out why I chose to pick this out.

I'm done. Let's move on.
Lost on me. Did she get a scholly with lower stats or something?

Deal. We can be bros until the next time you inspire everyone to call me out on being a dick.

Fletcher Reed

New

Post by Fletcher Reed » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Financial aid info? I guess I should figure out how to log onto the UF online system...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Fletcher Reed wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:$21.5k as of next year IIRC. And rising, I'm sure.
I just got my financial aid info updated online. As of now, it says my total COA will be about 37k, up from last years 34k, to put it in perspective.
Did everyone get their financial aid info updated or are some people still waiting??
I don't think my financial aid for 1L updated until mid summer, so if yours hasn't updated (or you haven't gotten any information at all), I wouldn't worry about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”