U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Geaux12

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:42 am

curiousnole wrote:Hey LSATmakesmeneurotic or other current law students at UF, how is the parking around the law school? Bad enough to be worth the extra cost of living within walking distance? or easy enough to find parking that I could live at a cheaper place, commute and find parking in under 5 minutes?

thanks

Shitty enough to the point where they would actively encourage carpooling. Picking looked slim when I went on my viist.

beachy

Postby beachy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 am

mwilson37 wrote:Anyone still on hold at U of F? Ive been on File Reviewed, No Decision Reached status since March 29th.

Ive been stuck on File Reviewed, No Decision Reached since march 22...so frustrating. Ive already paid my seat deposit to FSU seeing as the deadline is 6 days away, but I was trying to hold out because I went to UF for my undergrad. My numbers are a 160/3.3 so its hard to tell whether my alumna status and ties will help out my underwhelming gpa.

Should I email to ask whats going on with my app? Obv, I dont want to appear pushy but I would like to know if its worth waiting for.

amparra

Postby amparra » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 am

beachy wrote:
mwilson37 wrote:Anyone still on hold at U of F? Ive been on File Reviewed, No Decision Reached status since March 29th.

Ive been stuck on File Reviewed, No Decision Reached since march 22...so frustrating. Ive already paid my seat deposit to FSU seeing as the deadline is 6 days away, but I was trying to hold out because I went to UF for my undergrad. My numbers are a 160/3.3 so its hard to tell whether my alumna status and ties will help out my underwhelming gpa.

Should I email to ask whats going on with my app? Obv, I dont want to appear pushy but I would like to know if its worth waiting for.

I called an expressed my interest after being NDR since January, the NDR date had even just refreshed to March which meant that it had been reviewed again and still no decision. The person I spoke to was really nice and told me that she didn't review the files but to hang in there. She also asked me for my last name and no joke by the end of the day my status changed to decision reached, by Monday I had my acceptance letter.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 am

Geaux12 wrote:
curiousnole wrote:Hey LSATmakesmeneurotic or other current law students at UF, how is the parking around the law school? Bad enough to be worth the extra cost of living within walking distance? or easy enough to find parking that I could live at a cheaper place, commute and find parking in under 5 minutes?

thanks

Shitty enough to the point where they would actively encourage carpooling. Picking looked slim when I went on my viist.

The parking situation is actually deceiving. If you get to school in the morning before 9, you will have no problem. If you get to school around 11:50 right before your class, you likely won't find a spot in the main parking lot, but frat row always has spots open, and it's right across the street. I've never had a problem.

seancris wrote:
Did you consider retaking at all when you didn't get a scholarship?

No. I was tired of the whole process, and I didn't feel like continuing to work for the law firm I was at for a year while I retook. I also have a few personal reasons for wanting to get this over with as soon as possible, that I won't really go into on the board.

beachy

Postby beachy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 am

amparra wrote:
beachy wrote:

I called an expressed my interest after being NDR since January, the NDR date had even just refreshed to March which meant that it had been reviewed again and still no decision. The person I spoke to was really nice and told me that she didn't review the files but to hang in there. She also asked me for my last name and no joke by the end of the day my status changed to decision reached, by Monday I had my acceptance letter.

Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with a woman in admissions who told me that all decisions should be final by the end of the month. I told her that FSU was my second choice and the seat deposit was due by the 15 so she recommended that I go ahead and pay the deposit just in case. I guess they are reviewing all of the files again and then compiling the wait list in the next few weeks so I dont have much hope of my app being reviewed as quickly as yours, sadly.

lynzl84

Postby lynzl84 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 am

beachy wrote:
amparra wrote:
beachy wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with a woman in admissions who told me that all decisions should be final by the end of the month. I told her that FSU was my second choice and the seat deposit was due by the 15 so she recommended that I go ahead and pay the deposit just in case. I guess they are reviewing all of the files again and then compiling the wait list in the next few weeks so I dont have much hope of my app being reviewed as quickly as yours, sadly.

I must have been on the phone with admissions as you wrote this post. I will second what was said above, as according to Beth in Admissions, they are continually doing admits and denials, as well as forming a wait-list. She said they are hoping to have it all completed by the end of the month if not sooner.

seancris

Postby seancris » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

beachy wrote:Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with a woman in admissions who told me that all decisions should be final by the end of the month. I told her that FSU was my second choice and the seat deposit was due by the 15 so she recommended that I go ahead and pay the deposit just in case. I guess they are reviewing all of the files again and then compiling the wait list in the next few weeks so I dont have much hope of my app being reviewed as quickly as yours, sadly.

I hate how little UF cares about prospective students' money/time. It reflects so poorly on UF. Most of the people that are borderline for UF and are willing to attend at sticker are going to be FSU admits, and admissions doesn't give enough of a shit to get decisions out by the seat deposit deadline.

Definitely will be withdrawing, barring a surprise 42k scholarship offer in the next week or so. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm

where r u going

Oblivion426

Postby Oblivion426 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Does anyone know anything about The Continuum complex for graduate students? I inquired as to the pricing for the units via email but have not yet visited to see how they look in person.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Who is going to ASD?

UMiamiCane

Postby UMiamiCane » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 pm

Oblivion426 wrote:Does anyone know anything about The Continuum complex for graduate students? I inquired as to the pricing for the units via email but have not yet visited to see how they look in person.

I've never been inside, but I like the outside and the area it's in- it's the area where they've started building "Innovation Square," a huge retail, business, apartment area connecting downtown to campus. It's a quick walk to downtown restaurants and bars, but a bit far to walk to campus, especially the law school, about 20 blocks or so.

jlz111 wrote:Who is going to ASD?

I was planning on it, but now I'm going to be out of town Friday.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Try to live near the school. Best decision I've made up here.

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm

From what I've seen, the Continuum is expensive. I don't know if the amenities make up for the prohibitive costs.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:57 pm

sorry if this has been addressed but is it easy to gain residency for your 2 and 3L?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:sorry if this has been addressed but is it easy to gain residency for your 2 and 3L?

Yes.
http://www.flbog.org/forstudents/ati/re ... ements.php

georgia32

Postby georgia32 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:23 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:sorry if this has been addressed but is it easy to gain residency for your 2 and 3L?

Yes.

Doesn't look easy for a dependent student.

beachy

Postby beachy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 pm

seancris wrote:
beachy wrote:Thanks for the advice. I called and spoke with a woman in admissions who told me that all decisions should be final by the end of the month. I told her that FSU was my second choice and the seat deposit was due by the 15 so she recommended that I go ahead and pay the deposit just in case. I guess they are reviewing all of the files again and then compiling the wait list in the next few weeks so I dont have much hope of my app being reviewed as quickly as yours, sadly.

I hate how little UF cares about prospective students' money/time. It reflects so poorly on UF. Most of the people that are borderline for UF and are willing to attend at sticker are going to be FSU admits, and admissions doesn't give enough of a shit to get decisions out by the seat deposit deadline.

Definitely will be withdrawing, barring a surprise 42k scholarship offer in the next week or so. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot.

I agree, I wish they could have to courtesy to do that as well. Esp since UF is basically saying "lets see if we can find anyone better than you in the meantime". Oh well, I guess Im the sucker thats still waiting on them, not the other way around.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 pm

beachy wrote:

Im in the same boat, so frustrating. I have a feeling Im going to be put on the waitlist. Of course they could just deny me my gpa is a 2.5 with a LSAT of 162. But I am an URM and have a couple of good softs. But looking at last years thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=149048
just for our no decision reached people they are probably going to send out a bunch on Friday and then again after the admitted students weekend after they get a better idea of the amount of students that are going to be in the c/o 2015.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 pm

georgia32 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

Yes.

Doesn't look easy for a dependent student.

Once you're in grad school, you're considered independent.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I think I will attending UF next fall.. Some advice from friends re: living:

The Estates on Sorority Row: Pretty cheap, nice, comfortable, close enough to school and far enough from "the shitshow that is midtown.

Wildflower: near law school and a nice place with singles. Its a bit pricey (relative to gainesville standards) and its probably the nicest place close to the school and you will be away from all the partying etc.

"i'd definitely goto the Trimark hotel office on 13th. They own a ton of property and are always building new stuff"

beachy

Postby beachy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm

jlz111 wrote:I think I will attending UF next fall.. Some advice from friends re: living:

The Estates on Sorority Row: Pretty cheap, nice, comfortable, close enough to school and far enough from "the shitshow that is midtown.

Wildflower: near law school and a nice place with singles. Its a bit pricey (relative to gainesville standards) and its probably the nicest place close to the school and you will be away from all the partying etc.

"i'd definitely goto the Trimark hotel office on 13th. They own a ton of property and are always building new stuff"

Both of those places are on the opposite side of the school from the law school. Id prob recommend finding something along University and 34th if possible since the law school is on the northwest side of campus and those apts are on the southeast side of campus. Then again, there are always a bunch of buses, itll just take you longer.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 pm

beachy wrote:
jlz111 wrote:I think I will attending UF next fall.. Some advice from friends re: living:

Both of those places are on the opposite side of the school from the law school. Id prob recommend finding something along University and 34th if possible since the law school is on the northwest side of campus and those apts are on the southeast side of campus. Then again, there are always a bunch of buses, itll just take you longer.

^This. Your friends gave you advice re: living as an undergrad. Living for law school is completely different.

jlz111

Postby jlz111 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 pm

One is a 2L, One is in the B-school

Figure.N9ne

Postby Figure.N9ne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 am

beachy wrote:

Same here. I went up to visit yesterday and the only place I'd consider is along 34th and I guess it's 2nd ave? I want multiple options on how I get to class and living there means I'm a 5 minute bike ride or 10 minute walk away from class. If I over sleep I can just hope on the bike and be there in 5 minutes and not worry about parking. If it's raining then I can drive. If I forget something at home, I might have a chance of going back to get it. I like having all those options.

I asked in the other UF thread but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any opinions of Cazabella or Camelot? I liked Cazabella the best out of everything I saw, but the reviews all mention that the walls are thin and you can hear everything around you. Anyone have first hand experience?

beachy

Postby beachy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

Figure.N9ne wrote:
beachy wrote:

Same here. I went up to visit yesterday and the only place I'd consider is along 34th and I guess it's 2nd ave? I want multiple options on how I get to class and living there means I'm a 5 minute bike ride or 10 minute walk away from class. If I over sleep I can just hope on the bike and be there in 5 minutes and not worry about parking. If it's raining then I can drive. If I forget something at home, I might have a chance of going back to get it. I like having all those options.

I asked in the other UF thread but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any opinions of Cazabella or Camelot? I liked Cazabella the best out of everything I saw, but the reviews all mention that the walls are thin and you can hear everything around you. Anyone have first hand experience?

34th st runs north/south and university ave and 2nd ave run east/west. The law school is on 2nd ave and 24th street so the best places to live would be anywhere between 34th st and 13th st on unversity ave or 2nd ave. Its a big grid system, basically. Ive never lived in those apts but been to both and they are your basic college apt. The thing about gville is that most apts are old and very student oriented so they arent top of the line. The top of the line complexes arent really worth your money unless you have no qualms about blowing 1200 a month which is super expensive for there. You can find a decent apt for about 500/mo in a 2/2 or 2/1. Try to live on the top floor because in most apts you can hear footsteps from above.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”