U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 pm

seancris wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Oh, we've had O.A.R, Lynyrd Sknyrd and The Goo Goo Dolls too.


I thought the Goo Goo Dolls sucked.

Protip: if you go to gator growl, get a seat near the aisle so you can exit easily if you want to. The only good part about growl IMO is the stand-up act (this year it was Joel McHale). You can get trapped depending on where you sit. I was on top of the "THIS IS THE SWAMP" wall in the very furthest seat from the aisle and had to end up sitting through the whole concert. I probably could've gotten out if I wanted to disturb 100+ people and risk falling over the wall lol.


I didn't go last year, but from what I heard over the stadium wall (I was admittedly a bit drunk that night), they sounded alright to me.

That tip is solid advice though. The stadium can become a prison when it is packed.

jlz111
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jlz111 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:12 pm

To the people admitted:

Was the deposit number changed when the letter was in transit?

TopBanana
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby TopBanana » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm

jlz111 wrote:To the people admitted:

Was the deposit number changed when the letter was in transit?


No.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 am

Okay, just booked my flight. Not going to ASD, but will be there the following week. Sadly, given that it's after April 15, I'll have my deposit in at another school, so UF needs to blow my mind!

NoleGirl12
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby NoleGirl12 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Officially withdrew, hopefully someone will get my seat that's still waiting! GL everyone!

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby noleknight16 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:21 am

Accepted 160, 3.6

mwilson37
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby mwilson37 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Anyone still on hold at U of F? Ive been on File Reviewed, No Decision Reached status since March 29th.

jlz111
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jlz111 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Have there been any mixed batches this cycle ? With asd being next week can't see how this batch isn't anything buy acceptances #please

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:54 pm

jlz111 wrote:Have there been any mixed batches this cycle ? With asd being next week can't see how this batch isn't anything buy acceptances #please


I sincerely doubt that it's occurred to anyone in UF admissions that they should speed up their process or schedule their admits so that more people can attend ASD.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:10 pm

I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.


What are your options?

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.


What are your options?


I'm from New Jersey, so it's either here with a way to get residency for my 2L or Seton Hall with a huge scholarship, where I already put my deposit in - as it's due this Sunday.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.


What are your options?


I'm from New Jersey, so it's either here with a way to get residency for my 2L or Seton Hall with a huge scholarship, where I already put my deposit in - as it's due this Sunday.


Why are you interested in FL, being from NJ?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.


What are your options?


I'm from New Jersey, so it's either here with a way to get residency for my 2L or Seton Hall with a huge scholarship, where I already put my deposit in - as it's due this Sunday.


Do you have a scholarship from UF that will put your first year at in-state price?

Do you have ties to the state of Florida?

Where do you want to practice?

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
KibblesnBitts wrote:I really hope visiting in a little over a week will lead me to my decision.


What are your options?


I'm from New Jersey, so it's either here with a way to get residency for my 2L or Seton Hall with a huge scholarship, where I already put my deposit in - as it's due this Sunday.


Do you have a scholarship from UF that will put your first year at in-state price?

Do you have ties to the state of Florida?

Where do you want to practice?


1. I wish

2. Ties as in connections? I know a couple of people who practice around Jacksonville

3. Away from New Jersey if possible.

I'll be honest, it doesn't look too good as of yet, Florida has to win me over, but when I made my PS about getting out of New Jersey, I pretty much meant it. But I really like their Tax Law program...yes, I am highly considering going into tax law. Go figure. And as an undergrad right now, my prelaw advisor told me to narrow it down to an in-state school and an out of state school. After traveling to schools in Oregon, California, and even Hawai'i - I've eliminated all of those choices and Florida is the last one standing.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:45 pm

TLS common wisdom would say that going to UF for the reasons you laid out is a bad idea.

People here will tell you that professional connections don't constitute ties, so you will look like a flight risk to FL firms. And specialty rankings (#2 tax lawl w00t) don't mean anything.

BTW going to Hawaii on a "law school visit" sounds great right about now.
Last edited by seancris on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:47 pm

seancris wrote:TLS common wisdom would say that going to UF for the reasons you laid out is a bad idea.

People here will tell you that professional connections don't constitute ties, so you will look like a flight risk to FL firms. And specialty rankings (#2 tax lawl w00t) don't mean anything.


Trust me, I've been on TLS since I prepped for the LSAT, which is why I was hesitant at posting a response. Regardless, I'm going to check out the school in a little over a week, if I can see myself there more so than at Seton Hall with an avenue to gain residency for my 2L, then I may end up at UF. Otherwise, I'll be staying around my roots for what may be the rest of my life. C'est la vie.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Kibbles, I'll PM you in a bit, but unless your family is financing your legal education you shouldn't attend either school under the current circumstances. Wait a year and retake.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Wait a year and retake.


This is always the answer until you hit 170.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Kibbles, I'll PM you in a bit, but unless your family is financing your legal education you shouldn't attend either school under the current circumstances. Wait a year and retake.


I just preemptively PM'ed you discussing my circumstances with Seton Hall and my overall expenses. I'd like to keep it private and away from the boards if that's okay with you.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

seancris wrote:TLS common wisdom would say that going to UF for the reasons you laid out is a bad idea.

People here will tell you that professional connections don't constitute ties, so you will look like a flight risk to FL firms. And specialty rankings (#2 tax lawl w00t) don't mean anything.

BTW going to Hawaii on a "law school visit" sounds great right about now.



I would disagree with the bolded above. Tax is a legitimate specialization (as opposed to international UFO law), and the UF tax program is well known and graduates often do very well.

Kibbles, you will definitely be seen as a flight risk, but you can modify that by working in Florida during your summers, getting a license here etc. It's difficult, but doable.

Ultimately, I'm with FeelTheHeat and Seancris on this one. Going to law school in Florida just because you want to get away from Jersey isn't a great reason. I would wait a year and retake as well.

User avatar
KibblesnBitts
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby KibblesnBitts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:08 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
seancris wrote:TLS common wisdom would say that going to UF for the reasons you laid out is a bad idea.

People here will tell you that professional connections don't constitute ties, so you will look like a flight risk to FL firms. And specialty rankings (#2 tax lawl w00t) don't mean anything.

BTW going to Hawaii on a "law school visit" sounds great right about now.



I would disagree with the bolded above. Tax is a legitimate specialization (as opposed to international UFO law), and the UF tax program is well known and graduates often do very well.

Kibbles, you will definitely be seen as a flight risk, but you can modify that by working in Florida during your summers, getting a license here etc. It's difficult, but doable.

Ultimately, I'm with FeelTheHeat and Seancris on this one. Going to law school in Florida just because you want to get away from Jersey isn't a great reason. I would wait a year and retake as well.


Haha. I feel the need to clear a few things up (I've had quite a bit o' wine in the past couple hours.)

1. Hawai'i for a "law school visit" was amazing but definitely foolish

2. I picked UF as the last school between the rest of the schools I've applied to (and have been accepted to) because they seemed to be the most impressive of the schools I have yet to visit...and its very late deposit date made it worthwhile to check out.

3. I do want to get out of Jersey, but I will probably end up at Seton Hall anyway. Just because I want to leave doesn't mean I'll feel that way in the long term. I just feel stuck in a rut is all, and I feel after I visit Florida, I'll say "That was nice, but not for me," and will be content in staying back in Jersey.

4. I'd rather not discuss my financial situation, but ultimately I will almost end up at Seton Hall given the fact that my overall expenses will actually be less than my undergraduate expenses. Go figure.

5. Well crap, sorry to FeelTheHeat, I basically gave my scholarship information away on the board anyway.

TL;DR - Florida is going to be a fun little trip, and unless my mind is blown by every aspect of it, I'm going to choose a school near home, be content with it, and be in very little debt.

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby seancris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm

KibblesnBitts wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
seancris wrote:TLS common wisdom would say that going to UF for the reasons you laid out is a bad idea.

People here will tell you that professional connections don't constitute ties, so you will look like a flight risk to FL firms. And specialty rankings (#2 tax lawl w00t) don't mean anything.

BTW going to Hawaii on a "law school visit" sounds great right about now.



I would disagree with the bolded above. Tax is a legitimate specialization (as opposed to international UFO law), and the UF tax program is well known and graduates often do very well.

Kibbles, you will definitely be seen as a flight risk, but you can modify that by working in Florida during your summers, getting a license here etc. It's difficult, but doable.

Ultimately, I'm with FeelTheHeat and Seancris on this one. Going to law school in Florida just because you want to get away from Jersey isn't a great reason. I would wait a year and retake as well.


Haha. I feel the need to clear a few things up (I've had quite a bit o' wine in the past couple hours.)

1. Hawai'i for a "law school visit" was amazing but definitely foolish

2. I picked UF as the last school between the rest of the schools I've applied to (and have been accepted to) because they seemed to be the most impressive of the schools I have yet to visit...and its very late deposit date made it worthwhile to check out.

3. I do want to get out of Jersey, but I will probably end up at Seton Hall anyway. Just because I want to leave doesn't mean I'll feel that way in the long term. I just feel stuck in a rut is all, and I feel after I visit Florida, I'll say "That was nice, but not for me," and will be content in staying back in Jersey.

4. I'd rather not discuss my financial situation, but ultimately I will almost end up at Seton Hall given the fact that my overall expenses will actually be less than my undergraduate expenses. Go figure.

5. Well crap, sorry to FeelTheHeat, I basically gave my scholarship information away on the board anyway.

TL;DR - Florida is going to be a fun little trip, and unless my mind is blown by every aspect of it, I'm going to choose a school near home, be content with it, and be in very little debt.


For what it's worth, my godparents both went to Seton Hall and are making bank. One is in-house at an investment firm pulling 200k+ and the other is a lead PD in a big city in Jersey making 125k after 30 years.

jlz111
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby jlz111 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:57 am

In via admittance email and admissions day invitation

genius5432
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:28 am

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby genius5432 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

Although I haven't yet received anything in the mail despite it being sent last Tuesday, I just received an email entitled, "UF Law: Admitted Students Newsflash, #1 Congratulations" so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that I was admitted.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, ellielaw, margaretmitchell, MSNbot Media, nslaw123, potterotter, sonyco, Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests