U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Silver

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:59 am

jlz111 wrote:Have all dings been e-mails?
All dings reported in this thread have been emails.

drunkewok28

New

Post by drunkewok28 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 pm

I just wanted to say... Best Mexican in Gainesville: La Tienda

La Fiesta by the Oaks Mall is also pretty good.
I haven't been, but I've heard Las Margaritas is good.
Boca Fiesta recently opened downtown and provides decent fare. Hipsters patrol the area, though.

Genny

New

Post by Genny » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 pm

drunkewok28 wrote:I just wanted to say... Best Mexican in Gainesville: La Tienda

Boca Fiesta recently opened downtown and provides decent fare. Hipsters patrol the area, though.

Boca Fiesta has amazing fried mac n cheese and awesome margaritas IMO.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:20 pm

drunkewok28 wrote:I just wanted to say... Best Mexican in Gainesville: La Tienda

There's a new La Nopalera in Gainesville.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Anyone got any questions? Don't feel like studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:27 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Anyone got any questions? Don't feel like studying.
What do you do for fun in Gainesville? Besides being a huge FSU fan, my only complaint is the lack of fun things to do.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
What do you do for fun in Gainesville? Besides being a huge FSU fan, my only complaint is the lack of fun things to do.
Admittedly, I drink a lot. Midtown can be a good time, you can find me at Cantina on the weekends. Downtown is great, but I live across the street from the school so it's a bit of an adventure to get down there. More appealing for graduate students.

I use the gym a lot, the golf courses are cheap, and there is every type of recreational activity you could imagine (skate parks, tennis, beach volleyball, softball fields, TONS of soccer, you name it). These generally comprise most of my time I don't spend studying or watching sports.

There are plenty of movie theaters and food options. More food options than you can know what do with, although what's available at the law school sucks. They've been bringing in Panda Express and Pollo once a week though, which is nice.

LOTS of places for hiking, gun ranges, Ginny springs.

Not the greatest place in the world, but you'll definitely be able to keep yourself entertained.

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Admittedly, I drink a lot. Midtown can be a good time, you can find me at Cantina on the weekends. Downtown is great, but I live across the street from the school so it's a bit of an adventure to get down there. More appealing for graduate students.

I use the gym a lot, the golf courses are cheap, and there is every type of recreational activity you could imagine (skate parks, tennis, beach volleyball, softball fields, TONS of soccer, you name it). These generally comprise most of my time I don't spend studying or watching sports.

There are plenty of movie theaters and food options. More food options than you can know what do with, although what's available at the law school sucks. They've been bringing in Panda Express and Pollo once a week though, which is nice.

Not the greatest place in the world, but you'll definitely be able to keep yourself entertained.

How's the music scene? Any decent concerts? I seem to remember Tally getting more good shows than Gville...

Dc2136

New

Post by Dc2136 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

The good thing about Gainesville as well is the location in the state. You are and hour and a half ride from Jax or Orlando, and two hours from Tampa. You are 4 hours from Tampa and Orlando in Tallahassee. Tally is off in BFE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Geaux12 wrote: How's the music scene? Any decent concerts? I seem to remember Tally getting more good shows than Gville...
Eh, I'll defer to others on that. I know Drake and Brad Paisley performed here this past year, and piano bar, with their live music, can definitely be a good time. Other than that I can't say I know too much.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Geaux12 wrote: How's the music scene? Any decent concerts? I seem to remember Tally getting more good shows than Gville...
Eh, I'll defer to others on that. I know Drake and Brad Paisley performed here this past year, and piano bar, with their live music, can definitely be a good time. Other than that I can't say I know too much.
We had Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Drake and BOB in the past two years at the o-dome.
Last edited by seancris on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Slightly Stoopid played at the bandshell on campus, but it was canceled after one song (way more people than expected showed up for the free show). My husband saw The Expendables and State Radio at Common Grounds, which is now closed, and Pepper at The Venue.

I really enjoy living in Gainesville. There's tons of outdoorsy things to do (hiking trails, springs, canoeing, etc) and more and more street fairs Downtown, like the art festivals in the spring and fall, Friday nights before home games they serve beer and food in the streets and have vendors selling Gator things. I never go out to Midtown, I much prefer the restaurants and bars Downtown. There's several great beer pubs now- Stubbies of course, Tall Paul's, Alcove, House of Beers (haven't been to this one), and Swamphead Brewery off of Archer Rd has a tasting room now. My favorite restaurants are The Top, Dragonfly, and Manuels or Amelias for special occassions.

jlz111

New

Post by jlz111 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

4 hours from Miami if your naming places that for to venture off to.

What are the NICEST places to live on campus either apartment or house areas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:46 pm

jlz111 wrote:4 hours from Miami if your naming places that for to venture off to.

What are the NICEST places to live on campus either apartment or house areas.

yeah, if you average 85mph+ the whole way :wink:

I don't know much about apartments, but the houses in the neighborhood north along W University Ave (between about 22nd St and 34th St) and south to SW 2nd Ave are really nice. It's a great place to live. Just east of that, north of Midtown (between 22nd St and 13th St) is nice too- the closer to University there the more student ghetto-like it is- but several blocks north is great.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Camelot isn't bad, living across the street from the school is the tits.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Camelot isn't bad, living across the street from the school is the tits.

I know I'm not that much older than you people, but the first time this expression was used here, I thought it meant it was bad- like the pits- but I guess it's a good thing, lol.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:12 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Camelot isn't bad, living across the street from the school is the tits.

I know I'm not that much older than you people, but the first time this expression was used here, I thought it meant it was bad- like the pits- but I guess it's a good thing, lol.
I am 20 and that expression does not exist, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geaux12

Bronze

Post by Geaux12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:31 pm

seancris wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:

I am 20 and that expression does not exist, lol.

"The tits"? It definitely exists. I hear it used on a regular basis. The tits is the tits.

curiousnole

New

Post by curiousnole » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm

haha I guess seancris is not a Southpark fan.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Maybe at 20 he is too young for Southpark? :wink:

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am

seancris wrote: We had Bob Dillion
:shock:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
seancris wrote: We had Bob Dillion
:shock:
LOL epic fail on my part. Bob Dylan. I'm in a Rock and Roll history course this semester, so that is extra inexcusable.

WTF is a Dillion? :lol:

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh, we've had O.A.R, Lynyrd Sknyrd and The Goo Goo Dolls too.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Oh, we've had O.A.R, Lynyrd Sknyrd and The Goo Goo Dolls too.
I thought the Goo Goo Dolls sucked.

Protip: if you go to gator growl, get a seat near the aisle so you can exit easily if you want to. The only good part about growl IMO is the stand-up act (this year it was Joel McHale). You can get trapped depending on where you sit. I was on top of the "THIS IS THE SWAMP" wall in the very furthest seat from the aisle and had to end up sitting through the whole concert. I probably could've gotten out if I wanted to disturb 100+ people and risk falling over the wall lol.

Favre4Prez

Bronze

Post by Favre4Prez » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

How's the music scene? Any decent concerts? I seem to remember Tally getting more good shows than Gville...
Hey I did my undergrad at UF and can maybe answer this question. The music scene is pretty decent I would say (surprisingly), depending on what you are into, and the local band scene is pretty active. Some reputable alternative/independent bands have made their stops in Gainesville over the past few years (Minus the Bear, Reel Big Fish, Rebellution to name a few). UFSG has brought in Bob Dylan and Billy Joel recently. The biggest thing in Gainesville, as far as the local music scene is concerned, is the contemporary punk scene. The bands Against Me and Less than Jake actually got there starts and first gained their followings in Gainesville. The ex-bassist from Against Me was actually doing his graduate work at UF and taught one of my classes (pretty cool guy). And this past year, The Fest, which you may have heard of, is a huge punk fest, drew tons of people. That was an awesome time, although the price of PBR literally tripled that weekend lol. Downtown was totally mobbed.
Last edited by Favre4Prez on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”