U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Silver

Re: U. of Florida c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by seancris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:10 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:...my only issue is that I am not actually in my house in florida, and my mother is very quick with the "throw away everything in the mail that's not for her." lol,
lol that would be terrible

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 pm

I had mine mailed on the 9th. I'm not sure if this is new, though. In the bottom of my status checker page, it says under "Fees" , "Fee Type" and includes

Seat Deposit Paid 0.00 (Amt Due) 0.00 (Amt Paid)
Orientation Fee Paid 0.00 0.00

Anyone know if this does mean I got in, because I have not gotten my letter yet...

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:39 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:I had mine mailed on the 9th. I'm not sure if this is new, though. In the bottom of my status checker page, it says under "Fees" , "Fee Type" and includes

Anyone know if this does mean I got in, because I have not gotten my letter yet...
Mine says those things as well.

EDIT: And I'm still under review.

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

georgia32 wrote:
broncos_fan_26 wrote:I had mine mailed on the 9th. I'm not sure if this is new, though. In the bottom of my status checker page, it says under "Fees" , "Fee Type" and includes

Mine says those things as well.

EDIT: And I'm still under review.
k... good thing i didn't jump to conclusions

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:27 pm

broncos_fan_26 wrote:Anyone know if this does mean I got in, because I have not gotten my letter yet...
The fact that you have a decision in January is what indicates that you got in. No denials until March or so, if history is an indicator. Congrats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 am

How long did it take to get the status checker? I made a gatorlink account and everything, but no status checker email yet.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:56 pm

corvid wrote:How long did it take to get the status checker? I made a gatorlink account and everything, but no status checker email yet.
I think it was a couple of days. It might be the next business day or something. If you don't have a status checker password by wednesday, I would send an email to ask.

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:00 pm

"5.80+ gets you in
5.749 - 5.65 gets you in March/April
5.649 - 5.60 gets you wait listed"

If I'm at 5.689, with what I believe to be good softs, should I be feeling optimistic? Or is that borderline based out previous years?

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:56 pm

anyone sent on the 9th also not received their letter yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:56 pm

seancris wrote:
corvid wrote:How long did it take to get the status checker? I made a gatorlink account and everything, but no status checker email yet.
I think it was a couple of days. It might be the next business day or something. If you don't have a status checker password by wednesday, I would send an email to ask.
Ok, thanks. By the formula, I am >5.61 so hopefully the softs make up for my apparent lacking in numbers.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Everyone speaking in terms of index numbers tends to confuse things, I think. I'm not sure what a 5.67 or 5.61 translates to in terms of LSAT and GPA. Plus this is a new index system this year so we can't use the index to predict where an applicant stands based on past cycles. The only pattern with regards to index for this cycle has been that auto-admits were all 5.8+.

If you want chances I would say that it's more useful tp post your LSAT and GPA than index number. That said, personally I would only feel "optimistic" if I was at median or above in both GPA and LSAT (162/3.6), or otherwise in the top 25% in one category. Better to be in the top 25% in LSAT rather than GPA... meaning a 2.8/165 would be better than a 3.9/156.

And so far we've seen no real evidence that UF (or any law school, for that matter) really cares about softs.

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:14 pm

seancris wrote:Everyone speaking in terms of index numbers tends to confuse things, I think. I'm not sure what a 5.67 or 5.61 translates to in terms of LSAT and GPA. Plus this is a new index system this year so we can't use the index to predict where an applicant stands based on past cycles. The only pattern with regards to index for this cycle has been that auto-admits were all 5.8+.

If you want chances I would say that it's more useful tp post your LSAT and GPA than index number. That said, personally I would only feel "optimistic" if I was at median or above in both GPA and LSAT (162/3.6), or otherwise in the top 25% in one category. Better to be in the top 25% in LSAT rather than GPA... meaning a 2.8/165 would be better than a 3.9/156.

And so far we've seen no real evidence that UF (or any law school, for that matter) really cares about softs.
Well, crap. 158/3.6.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 pm

corvid wrote:Well, crap. 158/3.6.
LSP considers those stats to equate to a 5.626 and predicts a ding... with a 160/3.6 LSP considers it a 5.68 and gives it a "weak consider" so for those of you who are looking at indexes as predictors, 5.7 seems to be the floor for a reasonably optimistic outlook according to LSP. This is assuming that LSP is using a current index formula.

That said, I would've thought that a 3.6/160 should be admit at UF. Maybe a March admit, but from what I saw from glancing over (read: stalking) the forum last cycle, my impression is that a lot of people with those numbers were getting in.

My impression is that 3.6/158 could be waitlist territory rather than an outright ding, in which case your softs will become factors. And for the record, I know that one of the students who got in off the waitlist last cycle is now in a position to possible grade on to LR. That person seems to have gotten the best grades of any TLSer that posted about them despite having lower numbers.

For anyone that might not have used LSP before: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:44 am

seancris wrote:Everyone speaking in terms of index numbers tends to confuse things, I think. I'm not sure what a 5.67 or 5.61 translates to in terms of LSAT and GPA. Plus this is a new index system this year so we can't use the index to predict where an applicant stands based on past cycles. The only pattern with regards to index for this cycle has been that auto-admits were all 5.8+.

I agree with most of what you're saying. I would give softs a little more credit, but not all that much. Softs can tip the scales if you're a borderline candidate, but it won't get a LSAT/GPA reject in (though I'm pretty sure they can get an auto-admit rejected).

What I would say is that if you have borderline numbers, really strong softs can work in your favor. If you're a statistical long shot then I wouldn't count on it.

FWIW I got to school with a 4.0/163 applicant that just got into Harvard. Had a hell of a story though, political refugee, and from a non-URM ethnic background. The GPA is stellar, but that alone would never get you into Harvard with a 163.

Also, based on law school predictor, I'm a "weak consider" at both Vanderbilt and Georgetown, but both accepted me pretty quickly (relatively), G'town took 4 weeks to decide and Vandy took 5 weeks. I really do think it was my softs that tipped the scales, I had really great letters, and a solid PS.

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 am

I agree. I posted about the index because I thought it was the same as last year (didn't look at the year on LSAC) and thought it would be a good way to gauge the timeline for acceptances. But since it is different than last year, we really don't know what a certain index means until that number starts getting pulled.

If I calculated my index based on last year's formula, I should hear back soon. But it seems like the formula this year puts more emphasis on GPA. I'm a splitter, so this pulled my index down to 5.68. Doesn't sound great, but when I look at LSN for people with my numbers (LSAT and GPA), they are all acceptances and most were accepted in Jan/Feb.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm starting to get antsy about the lack of scholarship offers. It looks like UF has only sent one batch of merit-based offers so far. People with my numbers got decent offers last cycle according to LSN, and with these tuition increases it's imperitive that I get some merit aid, otherwise I don't think I can justifty the expense. If they cap the increases at 21k (which a student recruiter told me was the plan... take it with a grain of salt), we're looking at 63k on tuition alone, plus probably another 5k for educational expenses for 68k on school, without considering living expenses for three years.

That would put CoA at around 100k. In this market I just don't see how that's a good investment, assuming it's all student debt.

Hopefully they will be sending out a lot of merit-aid to offset these tuition increases... does anyone recall from last year's cycle when more merit-aid offers started to go out in the mail (after the first batch)?

broncos_fan_26

Bronze

Post by broncos_fan_26 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Mailed on 1/9, but I still haven't received it. I called U of F today to see if they could tell me my result over the phone. They insisted on re sending the letter, with instructions to have me call back if I still haven't received it in a week. Ironically, my job basically entails me telling people to do the same thing. FML #1stworldproblems

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:34 pm

seancris wrote:I'm starting to get antsy about the lack of scholarship offers. It looks like UF has only sent one batch of merit-based offers so far. People with my numbers got decent offers last cycle according to LSN, and with these tuition increases it's imperitive that I get some merit aid, otherwise I don't think I can justifty the expense. If they cap the increases at 21k (which a student recruiter told me was the plan... take it with a grain of salt), we're looking at 63k on tuition alone, plus probably another 5k for educational expenses for 68k on school, without considering living expenses for three years.

That would put CoA at around 100k. In this market I just don't see how that's a good investment, assuming it's all student debt.

Hopefully they will be sending out a lot of merit-aid to offset these tuition increases... does anyone recall from last year's cycle when more merit-aid offers started to go out in the mail (after the first batch)?
Looking at the people that got money in my class, I think UF just put everyone into a bag and chose names at random. I got passed over while others with lower numbers got money. To be honest, I think the estimated CoA is a bit high, and you can get by without taking out the full amount in loans. That being said, I am NOT looking forward to next year's tuition increase. I DID get a need based grant this semester which helped out a lot.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:50 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Looking at the people that got money in my class, I think UF just put everyone into a bag and chose names at random. I got passed over while others with lower numbers got money. To be honest, I think the estimated CoA is a bit high, and you can get by without taking out the full amount in loans. That being said, I am NOT looking forward to next year's tuition increase. I DID get a need based grant this semester which helped out a lot.

Definitely this

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

seancris wrote:
LSP considers those stats to equate to a 5.626 and predicts a ding... with a 160/3.6 LSP considers it a 5.68 and gives it a "weak consider" so for those of you who are looking at indexes as predictors, 5.7 seems to be the floor for a reasonably optimistic outlook according to LSP. This is assuming that LSP is using a current index formula.

That said, I would've thought that a 3.6/160 should be admit at UF. Maybe a March admit, but from what I saw from glancing over (read: stalking) the forum last cycle, my impression is that a lot of people with those numbers were getting in.

My impression is that 3.6/158 could be waitlist territory rather than an outright ding, in which case your softs will become factors. And for the record, I know that one of the students who got in off the waitlist last cycle is now in a position to possible grade on to LR. That person seems to have gotten the best grades of any TLSer that posted about them despite having lower numbers.

For anyone that might not have used LSP before: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm
Also, the girl who was number 2 in the whole 1L class last year was let in off of the waitlist within one week before classes started. Reverse splitters sometimes do really well because the entire time they're there they think they're the dumbest kid in the entire class only to find out they can make up for a lackluster LSAT with hard work (and some smarts...). I think law school is learnable. Corvid, if you have the time and desire, retake. You never know what the outcome will be and you might get in with your 158. It just might take a little bit longer. I also think softs do matter if they are truly unique or very special. Not everything is. Quality is more important than quantity.

corvid

New

Post by corvid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 pm

alicrimson wrote:
seancris wrote:

Also, the girl who was number 2 in the whole 1L class last year was let in off of the waitlist within one week before classes started. Reverse splitters sometimes do really well because the entire time they're there they think they're the dumbest kid in the entire class only to find out they can make up for a lackluster LSAT with hard work (and some smarts...). I think law school is learnable. Corvid, if you have the time and desire, retake. You never know what the outcome will be and you might get in with your 158. It just might take a little bit longer. I also think softs do matter if they are truly unique or very special. Not everything is. Quality is more important than quantity.
I was thinking about a retake, as I was getting timed practice LSATs to 165 consistently, but it is either feb or june...feb gives me really very little time to study and prepare, and I am not sure on how useful a June retake would be since classes fill up and decisions get sent months prior to the exam (not to mention getting the scores). That is, unless a retake can't hurt me...but I think it could, should I get a lower score.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Just out of curiosity... Have they accepted anyone in their middle 50 percent yet? The lowest LSAT I have heard among people that I know who have been admitted that is a 165. Meanwhile, it seems like FSU has dipped down to 160 already, which is below their median. I know they are the best school in Florida, and many people have their hearts set on this place, but what gives? Schools that are much more prestigous have already accepted people at the top and bottom of their middle 50%.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Just out of curiosity... Have they accepted anyone in their middle 50 percent yet? The lowest LSAT I have heard among people that I know who have been admitted that is a 165. Meanwhile, it seems like FSU has dipped down to 160 already, which is below their median. I know they are the best school in Florida, and many people have their hearts set on this place, but what gives? Schools that are much more prestigous have already accepted people at the top and bottom of their middle 50%.
I was admitted in November with a 163/4.0.

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

corvid wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
seancris wrote:

I was thinking about a retake, as I was getting timed practice LSATs to 165 consistently, but it is either feb or june...feb gives me really very little time to study and prepare, and I am not sure on how useful a June retake would be since classes fill up and decisions get sent months prior to the exam (not to mention getting the scores). That is, unless a retake can't hurt me...but I think it could, should I get a lower score.
I had a lower retake and was still accepted off the wait list. My higher LSAT was abysmal and I thought it was the end of the world when I scored even lower because UF supposedly averages scores...I doubt they really do.

Softs didn't have any impact on my admission. I don't think UF cares about anything but numbers. After they play their numbers game they scurry around in a mad dash to fill all the seats before classes begin. In all likelihood you are going to be accepted off the wait list in May. See you in the fall.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:I had a lower retake and was still accepted off the wait list. My higher LSAT was abysmal and I thought it was the end of the world when I scored even lower because UF supposedly averages scores...I doubt they really do.
I really don't think UF averages scores... could swear I heard Ms. Adorno say that they take the highest.

Sweet avatar btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”