IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TommyK

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby TommyK » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Hmmm. Judging by the graph on the first page, most people still waiting after the 1st are getting dinged. Also, it looks like virtually no one makes it off the WL. Oh, well. Good luck to all!

last year was weird. They over-admitted splitters early on and because of the large schollies, they over-admitted those students. There was a spike of admittances late in the cycle, though for high gpa students. Since they seemed to have taken a more balanced approach on both the student profile and the scholarships, last year might not be a good guide to judge IUB's actions this year.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Summer start begins 3 months from tomorrow...

chamuc

Postby chamuc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Has anyone heard anything from IU lately?

Wrote IU and Vandy today asking bout my applications as deposit deadlines for other law schools are approaching. Vandy got back in 5 mins detailing bout the process and the stage the review process is at right now - feel better even though literally they can't give me the answer. IU: (sigh) nope - the third email I've written to Compton. Latest status update: 3/1 - in review.

B986

Postby B986 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:22 pm

chamuc wrote:Has anyone heard anything from IU lately?

Wrote IU and Vandy today asking bout my applications as deposit deadlines for other law schools are approaching. Vandy got back in 5 mins detailing bout the process and the stage the review process is at right now - feel better even though literally they can't give me the answer. IU: (sigh) nope - the third email I've written to Compton. Latest status update: 3/1 - in review.

I emailed a few days ago asking for a status and was told on 3/29 that I should be receiving a decision "within two weeks." So much for expedited review! And so much for hearing back from IU before other deposits are due. Nice.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 pm

anyone know what the process for admittance to the 4yr JD/MBA program is like for students already in the law school? more lenient than if not in the law school? selective?

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

pbfoot wrote:anyone know what the process for admittance to the 4yr JD/MBA program is like for students already in the law school? more lenient than if not in the law school? selective?

Not sure if it helps, but...

I asked this regarding two other schools and was told it really doesn't help you unless the admissions in the other department get to a point where they are splitting hairs between you and another candidate. Basically, each department looks out for its own numbers. Either you have the numbers to get admitted or you don't.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:14 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:
pbfoot wrote:anyone know what the process for admittance to the 4yr JD/MBA program is like for students already in the law school? more lenient than if not in the law school? selective?

Not sure if it helps, but...

I asked this regarding two other schools and was told it really doesn't help you unless the admissions in the other department get to a point where they are splitting hairs between you and another candidate. Basically, each department looks out for its own numbers. Either you have the numbers to get admitted or you don't.

i'm not as worried about the numbers as i am about the old adage that its near useless to apply to b-school without at least two years of work experience

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 pm

pbfoot wrote:i'm not as worried about the numbers as i am about the old adage that its near useless to apply to b-school without at least two years of work experience

Yeah, b-school is way less numbers-intensive than law school. In contrast, they look for valuable work experience. This is less of a priority, though, for the 4 yr program. If you wanted to do the the 3yr jd/mba, then they would be targeting a profile much more similar to what the majority of their mba admits are. My understanding from what they said in response to a similar question when asked last year was that (particularly if you're doing the 4 yr), your chances are much better coming as an admitted jd student.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

TommyK wrote:
pbfoot wrote:i'm not as worried about the numbers as i am about the old adage that its near useless to apply to b-school without at least two years of work experience

Yeah, b-school is way less numbers-intensive than law school. In contrast, they look for valuable work experience. This is less of a priority, though, for the 4 yr program. If you wanted to do the the 3yr jd/mba, then they would be targeting a profile much more similar to what the majority of their mba admits are. My understanding from what they said in response to a similar question when asked last year was that (particularly if you're doing the 4 yr), your chances are much better coming as an admitted jd student.

That is very encouraging!

On the other hand, I've been "in review" since 3/19. C'mon, Indiana! You know you want me.

ninjaunderwear

Postby ninjaunderwear » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:55 am

Withdrawn.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

chamuc

Postby chamuc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:00 pm

B986 wrote:
chamuc wrote:Has anyone heard anything from IU lately?

I emailed a few days ago asking for a status and was told on 3/29 that I should be receiving a decision "within two weeks." So much for expedited review! And so much for hearing back from IU before other deposits are due. Nice.

Did you hear back from them? and when did your applicant go complete?

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 pm

just withdrew freed up 10 k a year

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 pm

being decision day...what happens if I verbally commit to IUB (as they don't have a seat deposit) and happen to get off a waitlist or something of the like? Not expecting to change my mind, but I still have yet to hear from a couple schools and MAY consider them if I were to be admitted.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 pm

pbfoot wrote:being decision day...what happens if I verbally commit to IUB (as they don't have a seat deposit) and happen to get off a waitlist or something of the like? Not expecting to change my mind, but I still have yet to hear from a couple schools and MAY consider them if I were to be admitted.

Nothing.

Qbinson

Postby Qbinson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

Wanted to add one more decision to your pile. :)

I'm a current 1L looking to sublet my room in a 3 bedroom (the other roommates are also 1Ls and really cool guys). It is literally a 2-3 minute walk to the law school. Here is the building:
http://www.burnhamrentals.com/index.php ... nity_cd=51

My portion of the rent is $625/month. It's available as soon as you need it until August 14th, with the possibility of leasing for the school year, and can be furnished with a full-sized bed and a desk or unfurnished. Please let me know if you're interested. Email me at dqrobins@indiana.edu.

Thanks for looking and good luck,

Dareus

PS: For what it's worth, I came to Bloomington from Oregon totally blind, I didn't even visit for spring law day. I feel like I definitely made the right choice. Bloomington is beautiful, and the people have been great. The faculty is pretty incredible as well and has been very approachable in my experience. I'm happy to be more specific if anyone has questions.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Qbinson wrote:Hi everyone,

Wanted to add one more decision to your pile. :)

I'm a current 1L looking to sublet my room in a 3 bedroom (the other roommates are also 1Ls and really cool guys). It is literally a 2-3 minute walk to the law school. Here is the building:
http://www.burnhamrentals.com/index.php ... nity_cd=51

My portion of the rent is $625/month. It's available as soon as you need it until August 14th, with the possibility of leasing for the school year, and can be furnished with a full-sized bed and a desk or unfurnished. Please let me know if you're interested. Email me at dqrobins@indiana.edu.

Thanks for looking and good luck,

Dareus

PS: For what it's worth, I came to Bloomington from Oregon totally blind, I didn't even visit for spring law day. I feel like I definitely made the right choice. Bloomington is beautiful, and the people have been great. The faculty is pretty incredible as well and has been very approachable in my experience. I'm happy to be more specific if anyone has questions.

Any suggestions on where (else) is a good place for law students to live? Would like to be able to walk to campus, somewhere not too isolated, but also not going to be parties until 2am.

Qbinson

Postby Qbinson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 pm

pbfoot wrote:
Any suggestions on where (else) is a good place for law students to live? Would like to be able to walk to campus, somewhere not too isolated, but also not going to be parties until 2am.

Burnham rentals has a few buildings really close to the school. Lots of Ls at Poolside, too. There are quite a few places in that neighborhood that are a very short walk to the law school, and it never gets TOO loud over there. Places range in size and quality, the apartments in my building are on the larger end.

And of course, craigslist always has options, but I've been surprised about how many rentals are NOT posted on craigslist.

Hope this helps.

starlaw89

Postby starlaw89 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Anyone still waiting to get a decision? Been under review for quite some time!

Spladle

Postby Spladle » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 am

starlaw89 wrote:Anyone still waiting to get a decision? Been under review for quite some time!

My file's been in review since 3/19.

chamuc

Postby chamuc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:18 am

Has been under review since 3/1

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Just take me, Indiana! The wait is killing me..... deposits due at other schools, etc. JUST TAKE ME!

YankeeFan2

Postby YankeeFan2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 pm

Have been under review since 1/17! When I called I was told I that I "should hear something from us in two to three weeks" -- what's another three weeks since they have had my application since October.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 pm

YankeeFan2 wrote:Have been under review since 1/17! When I called I was told I that I "should hear something from us in two to three weeks" -- what's another three weeks since they have had my application since October.

Makes me feel silly for complaining.

B986

Postby B986 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 pm

This school's admissions process is a joke. Just sayin.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:31 pm

B986 wrote:This school's admissions process is a joke. Just sayin.

+1000000000000000

They take years to answer emails (kcompto never answers!!!), when they answered me they called me by a totally different name (twice!) and I'm UR since november.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”