IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BearsGrl

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:47 pm

TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:Still nothing on my end. I wonder if I was mistaken in my assumption that the law school was going to cover the lodging accommodations. I just emailed Kwak to see if it's something we should be coordinating or if there will be something more coming from his office.

Just got an email back from Kwak.

He indicated that we are to arrange our own lodging accommodations.

This seems standard with how other ASDs have operated. I'm sure it's possible for them to be different as you go up the rankings meter, but the school generally provides a list of hotel options (some they have relationships with) and you plan accordingly.

I'd be interested in the swag that IU gives. I still have apps out at IU/Indy (among others) but I recently saw Indy and am familiar with IU since it is my UG. I picked them to be in the Final for March Madness too - haha.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 pm

If offered a scholarship, IU pays for flight/airport trans/hotel for ASW.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Nammertat wrote:If offered a scholarship, IU pays for flight/airport trans/hotel for ASW.

Hmm, I'm on a full oos scholly, but I deferred from last year so maybe that's why.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:35 pm

BearsGrl wrote:This seems standard with how other ASDs have operated. I'm sure it's possible for them to be different as you go up the rankings meter, but the school generally provides a list of hotel options (some they have relationships with) and you plan accordingly.

Eh, last year they paid for the hotel for all admitted students, but last year it seems everybody was on scholarship so maybe it's different? No worries... I was just planning on coming up to firm up plans for the apartment and meet some people. I'm okay with IUB not being keen on paying for a hotel for me twice.

FWIW, last year, all three schools for which I attended admitted student days for provided lodging and flight. But again... maybe because they did it last year.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 pm

TommyK wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:This seems standard with how other ASDs have operated. I'm sure it's possible for them to be different as you go up the rankings meter, but the school generally provides a list of hotel options (some they have relationships with) and you plan accordingly.

Eh, last year they paid for the hotel for all admitted students, but last year it seems everybody was on scholarship so maybe it's different? No worries... I was just planning on coming up to firm up plans for the apartment and meet some people. I'm okay with IUB not being keen on paying for a hotel for me twice.

FWIW, last year, all three schools for which I attended admitted student days for provided lodging and flight. But again... maybe because they did it last year.

Hmmm - I remember reading last year's thread and some people were surprised back then with how "stingy" they were with money offered. Or maybe that was this year, it was one of the years. I could seem them going both ways. But yeah, maybe they have a limit of one time per applicant which would make sense.

IU is one of the most gorgeous campuses so I'd be totally cool with paying the amount. As far as apartments and living, just avoid anything close to Assembly Hall. IU has an excellent bus system so you can find stuff that will take you into campus. I certainly miss my time at IU.

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Just got accepted! In review since 2/24. Some late e-mail to be sending out on a Friday night!

30K, 167/3.3

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Congrats, Banana dancer.

Still waiting to go complete, let alone have any chance of getting a decision.

Is Bloomington a top choice?

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 pm

BKCentral wrote:Just got accepted! In review since 2/24. Some late e-mail to be sending out on a Friday night!

30K, 167/3.3

Ditto almost exactly, except 167/3.2

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Congrats, Banana dancer.

Thanks, and yeah, I sat on incomplete from 12/9 - 2/24. It seems like once you go under review they usually roll out the decision within a couple weeks. Hopefully you'll hear soon!! I'm waiting on 2 other schools still and it's almost getting to the point that I wouldn't be able to visit even if I do get in!

And it would have been probably in past years, but unfortunately with IUB giving scholly preference to high GPA now rather than higher LSAT as they did in previous years, it leaves me with still high tuition. I'd like to visit and I still might, but right now I have very good offers from 3 similarly ranked schools, so not sure if I can justify it. I'd be interested in hearing about negotiations if anyone has tried though.

honeynutt

Postby honeynutt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 am

BKCentral wrote:
BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Congrats, Banana dancer.

Thanks, and yeah, I sat on incomplete from 12/9 - 2/24. It seems like once you go under review they usually roll out the decision within a couple weeks. Hopefully you'll hear soon!! I'm waiting on 2 other schools still and it's almost getting to the point that I wouldn't be able to visit even if I do get in!

And it would have been probably in past years, but unfortunately with IUB giving scholly preference to high GPA now rather than higher LSAT as they did in previous years, it leaves me with still high tuition. I'd like to visit and I still might, but right now I have very good offers from 3 similarly ranked schools, so not sure if I can justify it. I'd be interested in hearing about negotiations if anyone has tried though.

I don't really think they are a giving preference to high GPA.... I have a 3.9 and only got 5k a year. I know I have a considerably low LSAT, but it still doesn't seem to me that they are giving preference to GPA for scholarships. It kinda sucks too because I would consider Indiana but I've definitely gotten more money at other good schools.

pbfoot

Postby pbfoot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 am

in fri 3/9 w/30k...non URM, OOS, 164/3.3. Waiting to hear from Stanford, USC, UNC, W&M and WashU before making final decision-probably end up being between UNC/IUB though

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:08 am

In via email, 30k over three years. And thus my cycle comes to a (probable) end.

efcaley

Postby efcaley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:36 am

:shock: In shock....in via email w/ 30K. 2.7 GPA / 166 LSAT

sums

Postby sums » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

In with 30k, stats in profile. Will be withdrawing Monday. Good luck everyone!!

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:45 pm

efcaley wrote::shock: In shock....in via email w/ 30K. 2.7 GPA / 166 LSAT

damn nice work, doubled my scholly with lower gpa/lsat

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Sweet 16 Bound!!!!!!!!!!

Ogresmash

Postby Ogresmash » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 am

Hey all,

I applied in February, and my application became complete with the February LSAT score on March 7th. Problem is, I've not gotten one email from them saying they even received my application, or giving me a way to check my status. Anyone know if that's normal for IU?

btw384

Postby btw384 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:28 am

Ogresmash wrote:Hey all,

I applied in February, and my application became complete with the February LSAT score on March 7th. Problem is, I've not gotten one email from them saying they even received my application, or giving me a way to check my status. Anyone know if that's normal for IU?

You can try emailing the admissions office, but to be honest, they are horrible communicators. I applied in November, and I never got anything at all from them until my acceptance email in early February. I still haven't recieved my acceptance packet. They just aren't much for communicating.

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Good luck...

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Congratulations! You are way ahead of me... I just checked my status on Friday and it read: "Incomplete- still waiting for LSAT score."

C'mon, Indiana! I even watch your basketball games! LOL.. :lol:

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:

Congratulations! You are way ahead of me... I just checked my status on Friday and it read: "Incomplete- still waiting for LSAT score."

C'mon, Indiana! I even watch your basketball games! LOL.. :lol:

You definitely need to call them. I just haven't had the same "problems" that others have had. I still don't have a decision though. But I at least had a general date change to in review. Did you turn in the residency form? Some people have said that held them up.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Hey. Yeah, I handed in the residency form. Everything is good to go.

I am a little gun-shy about contacting law school admissions offices, though. I contacted Colorado over the same basic "problem" and received a pretty terse email in reply. Not rude, but very short in tone, basically saying, "We are busy. Everything is fine. Don't contact us again. Thanks." Lol...

I'll wait till mid-week before I contact Indiana...

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:43 pm

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Hey. Yeah, I handed in the residency form. Everything is good to go.

I am a little gun-shy about contacting law school admissions offices, though. I contacted Colorado over the same basic "problem" and received a pretty terse email in reply. Not rude, but very short in tone, basically saying, "We are busy. Everything is fine. Don't contact us again. Thanks." Lol...

If you're shy about it then expect to wait a long time and maybe not get the answer you want. I've never had a problem getting a hold of or communicating with the admissions office - they have always been friendly when you are respectful about it. Calling > email.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 am

BarcaCrossesTheAlps wrote:Hey. Yeah, I handed in the residency form. Everything is good to go.

Understood, but I try my best to not take personal offense to this type of stuff. I "get" that they're busy but I think some Admissions just have a more friendly tone. I mean, think about it, do you want to be on an Ad Comm. now? IU did take longer than other folks to respond to me via email, but at least it happened. Plus, IU's gorgeousness off-sets the mean vibes.

bisonprawn

Postby bisonprawn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 am

Yep. Same deal with me. No confirmation email after I sent in my application. So I waited about 2-3 weeks after I knew all my stuff went through, and then emailed admissions to confirm. They responded with a status check email.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”