IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cphal

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby cphal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

on another note, does anyone know how hard it is to gain residency in Indiana (i am from nj)... idk if paying ~45k for tuition with 5k a year scholly will cut it haha

rijed

Postby rijed » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

cphal wrote:on another note, does anyone know how hard it is to gain residency in Indiana (i am from nj)... idk if paying ~45k for tuition with 5k a year scholly will cut it haha

It is extremely hard. I am an Indiana resident and just had to go through the process, and it was a real pain. If you are not a resident, I would count on not getting it while you are there.

cphal

Postby cphal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm

rijed wrote:
cphal wrote:on another note, does anyone know how hard it is to gain residency in Indiana (i am from nj)... idk if paying ~45k for tuition with 5k a year scholly will cut it haha

It is extremely hard. I am an Indiana resident and just had to go through the process, and it was a real pain. If you are not a resident, I would count on not getting it while you are there.

bummer... thanks though!

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Got an email from Compton saying (more or less) "I'll let you know when I do". Time to stop nagging. But based on other responses I'm expecting to not get anything extra.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:20 pm

sdphill wrote:How long are people usually UR? I've been UR since 2/9...

I think they're going through waves of acceptances. Essentially their auto-admit folks. I have an earlier date from yours. So until it's a no, I'm riding it out.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:40 pm

About the Spring Law Day thing in a couple of weeks... Has anybody received information about accommodations?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

TommyK wrote:About the Spring Law Day thing in a couple of weeks... Has anybody received information about accommodations?

Not yet. Just registration and facebook group so far.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Accepted today via email. 5k per year scholarship, 171 LSAT 2.9 gpa. Will have to consider.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:56 pm

givemea170 wrote:Accepted today via email. 5k per year scholarship, 171 LSAT 2.9 gpa. Will have to consider.

Congrats! Are you looking at any other schools?

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:19 pm

iowalum wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Accepted today via email. 5k per year scholarship, 171 LSAT 2.9 gpa. Will have to consider.

Congrats! Are you looking at any other schools?

Thanks! Looking at Illinois, Indiana, Depaul, LUC, Chicago-Kent, University of Tennessee as the places I've been accepted to. Still waiting for a decision from Northwestern and Notre Dame and some others.

vaguephoenix

Postby vaguephoenix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:38 pm

In via email yesterday. 164, 3.24 gpa OOS. 10g/year.

alitoalitoalito

Postby alitoalitoalito » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 pm

iowalum wrote:
rijed wrote:
alitoalitoalito wrote:
iowalum wrote:Still waiting to hear back about my scholly negotiation!! Emailed Compton late Friday - hopefully a response soon b/c I'm getting anxious to accept and be done with it.... but I also want more money. Just demanding I guess.

i got no response from compton for like a week, so i emailed sam kwak instead. good news: he responded pretty quickly. bad news: he's not negotiating.

better luck to you!

Do you mind letting us know what he said exactly?

I'd be interested in this too. And what was your original offer/what did you ask for? I just want to know either way so I can accept and be done with it.

He said he hoped I would consider the school based on its program and location, but that he understood if I did not. Was offered 10k/year originally. Was hoping for far more, but it looks like they're being far more conservative with scholarships this year. Oh well. Will definitely be throwing that 10k back in the pot. Good luck to all.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Withdrew my application today... I've been under review at 2/9 and their track record of scholly this year is not appealing to me. Good luck everyone! :)

cphal

Postby cphal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey guys, I was admitted the other day and have a question. I am currently planning on coming back to the east coast to work (nyc or dc area specifically) after law school, and am curious if anyone knows of friends or "friends of friends" who have been able to successfully do this once they graduated from IU-B? Thanks in ahead and best of luck to those still waiting! :lol:

rijed

Postby rijed » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 pm

cphal wrote:Hey guys, I was admitted the other day and have a question. I am currently planning on coming back to the east coast to work (nyc or dc area specifically) after law school, and am curious if anyone knows of friends or "friends of friends" who have been able to successfully do this once they graduated from IU-B? Thanks in ahead and best of luck to those still waiting! :lol:

I recently visited the school and was told that last year DC placement was 2nd (with of course 1st being Indiana). Based off of that, I would say it seems very possible. Hope that helps.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 pm

iowalum wrote:App complete, waiting to submit until I see my Oct. score, debating whether or not to ED. suspense!

I'm a 2L at IU-B. I don't think that DC is the second largest placement of graduates after Indiana. Irrespective, coming to IU-B with the hope of moving back east is a risky proposition. The school's placement is embarrassing and we do a particularly poor job of placing people on the east coast.

rijed

Postby rijed » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
iowalum wrote:App complete, waiting to submit until I see my Oct. score, debating whether or not to ED. suspense!

I'm a 2L at IU-B. I don't think that DC is the second largest placement of graduates after Indiana. Irrespective, coming to IU-B with the hope of moving back east is a risky proposition. The school's placement is embarrassing and we do a particularly poor job of placing people on the east coast.

It was Michael Keller, Assistant Dean for Career and Professional Development, who told me that. He specifically said that last year it was there second highest. If that is not true, then he lied.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:08 pm

rijed wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

It was Michael Keller, Assistant Dean for Career and Professional Development, who told me that. He specifically said that last year it was there second highest. If that is not true, then he lied.

To be fair, he is in the line of "selling" his program. Don't assume anything about the schools. Nothing is a given. Right now, in this economy, logic says that it's "better" to choose an East Coast-based option versus one in the Midwest because you will be able to begin forming relationships with local attorneys on the East coast more readily than you may be able to form those same relationships in the Midwest.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:11 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
rijed wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

To be fair, he is in the line of "selling" his program. Don't assume anything about the schools. Nothing is a given. Right now, in this economy, logic says that it's "better" to choose an East Coast-based option versus one in the Midwest because you will be able to begin forming relationships with local attorneys on the East coast more readily than you may be able to form those same relationships in the Midwest.

I think what he meant was that D.C. was the 2nd largest outside of Indiana last year, which is true. However, probably 60%+ end up working in Indiana and those that don't are scattered and not concentrated in one spot. 1st largest outside of Indiana was Chicago, but probably <10% of IUB graduates end up there, and <5% probably end up in D.C.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Also, is anyone looking for a roommate?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm a 2L at IU-B. I don't think that DC is the second largest placement of graduates after Indiana. Irrespective, coming to IU-B with the hope of moving back east is a risky proposition. The school's placement is embarrassing and we do a particularly poor job of placing people on the east coast.[/quote]

It was Michael Keller, Assistant Dean for Career and Professional Development, who told me that. He specifically said that last year it was there second highest. If that is not true, then he lied.[/quote]

To be fair, he is in the line of "selling" his program. Don't assume anything about the schools. Nothing is a given. Right now, in this economy, logic says that it's "better" to choose an East Coast-based option versus one in the Midwest because you will be able to begin forming relationships with local attorneys on the East coast more readily than you may be able to form those same relationships in the Midwest.[/quote]

I think what he meant was that D.C. was the 2nd largest outside of Indiana last year, which is true. However, probably 60%+ end up working in Indiana and those that don't are scattered and not concentrated in one spot. 1st largest outside of Indiana was Chicago, but probably <10% of IUB graduates end up there, and <5% probably end up in D.C.[/quote]

This seems like a fair assessment given my limited knowledge about the law school in general but with how I thought that it would "fair" with my understanding of how the UG operated. Do a lot of IUB folks work in Indy in the Summer or is it really all over?

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

BearsGrl wrote:This seems like a fair assessment given my limited knowledge about the law school in general but with how I thought that it would "fair" with my understanding of how the UG operated. Do a lot of IUB folks work in Indy in the Summer or is it really all over?

I really don't know, you will have to ask a current student. I would guess that most work in Indy.

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm

COME ON Compton - I want my scholly info back!! Just tell me no or make it rain so I can accept either way, apparently I'm not picky. UGH.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

iowalum wrote:
TommyK wrote:About the Spring Law Day thing in a couple of weeks... Has anybody received information about accommodations?

Not yet. Just registration and facebook group so far.

Still nothing on my end. I wonder if I was mistaken in my assumption that the law school was going to cover the lodging accommodations. I just emailed Kwak to see if it's something we should be coordinating or if there will be something more coming from his office.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:40 pm

TommyK wrote:Still nothing on my end. I wonder if I was mistaken in my assumption that the law school was going to cover the lodging accommodations. I just emailed Kwak to see if it's something we should be coordinating or if there will be something more coming from his office.

Just got an email back from Kwak.

He indicated that we are to arrange our own lodging accommodations.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”