IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shroeder

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am

Does anyone know what the cut off is thus year for the full scholly??? I'm thinking 164, 165, or 166.

jsvaughn

Postby jsvaughn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 am

^i got 10k a year with a 167

however i do have a 2.5 to go along with it

JMoore33

Postby JMoore33 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:45 am

My status checker still says decision rendered and under mailings it says admit packet but I still havent heard anything from the school and I haven't gotten anything in the mail. I would really like it to come today since i get denied at UMN this morning...

shroeder

Postby shroeder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:46 am

jsvaughn wrote:^i got 10k a year with a 167

however i do have a 2.5 to go along with it

Wow, I need some hot sauce to go with this foot!! Sorry.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Excuse my rant...but, I wish IU actually checked and replied to the e-mails. Has anyone had luck calling their main office? The one day I attempted to call, I consistently received an individual's voicemail (after calling over the course of three hours).

blaze_2123

Postby blaze_2123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm

7ate9 wrote:Excuse my rant...but, I wish IU actually checked and replied to the e-mails. Has anyone had luck calling their main office? The one day I attempted to call, I consistently received an individual's voicemail (after calling over the course of three hours).

Same thing has happen to me. I have tried to call them a couple of times. Also, I have emailed them 3 or 4 times and tried both the admissions office and Kelly Compton. Not sure what their deal is, but they certainly have lost points in my mind. In other news, my application is in review as of yesterday so I guess that is good.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:03 pm

7ate9 wrote:Excuse my rant...but, I wish IU actually checked and replied to the e-mails. Has anyone had luck calling their main office? The one day I attempted to call, I consistently received an individual's voicemail (after calling over the course of three hours).

Ya, I never got a reply when I asked for a fee waiver (and applied anyway), and I haven't received a reply to my email about negotiating a scholarship (and you can be damn sure I will not be attending without an increase).

I've been very disappointed with my alma mater, and their conduct has been pretty unprofessional for a top-25 law school.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:30 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote:

Ya, I never got a reply when I asked for a fee waiver (and applied anyway), and I haven't received a reply to my email about negotiating a scholarship (and you can be damn sure I will not be attending without an increase).

I've been very disappointed with my alma mater, and their conduct has been pretty unprofessional for a top-25 law school.

It has been annoying, to say the least. Perhaps they received more applications this year, which is straining their infrastructure.

I'll probably attempt my phone calls again next week.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I will be attending IUB this fall. I'm a deferral from last year so thankfully I don't have to go through the anxiety of waiting for a decision.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Theyre taking longer than some other schools and the residency form didnt make sense, but theyve been really nice when I called them. Unprofessional is the wrong word fersure. Definitely not worth getting mad about

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:41 pm

in review 2/14 167 3.7 what ytou all think

SteelersGal90

Postby SteelersGal90 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:44 pm

mrmojojak wrote:Is it just me or are a lot of Pittsburgh fans posting in this thread. Come to IU I need people to watch the games with!

SteelersGal90 wrote:I have heard back from almost every school that I've applied and am right now trying to figure out which of the schools I would like to go visit/seriously consider, especially because I applied to all out-of-state schools. I was wondering what any of you guys thought about a full-ride scholarship at IU vs. no scholarship at Boston U or Boston College (as of yet, but BC is historically really late in the game on scholarships). The starting salary job stats at IU just don't seem to fit with its ranking. I know that location has something to do with it...but I am most concerned with getting a good job in three years! Thoughts?

I think you might want to post this in the choosing a law school forum. I think IU is worth the visit. It doesn't have a giant metro home market though so big law will be limited. IU's ranking right now is decent, but rankings in any one given year don't matter. It has been ranked closer to the 40s for an extended period of time, so, it's employment data reflects that. It'll take IU a long time of being consistently ranked in the top 25 and pulling in good applicants before employers take notice and its data looks more like Notre Dame's.

On to your question. If you're someone who needs big law to be happy I would look closer at one of the Boston law schools. The nice thing about your full scholarship is you don't need big law to pay back your student loans. To me, that is what is pushing me closer to IU.

I think this is essentially what I was thinking...as much as the name game means a lot in terms of law schools...the full-ride is really making me lean toward IU. As for the Steelers games, I devote every Sunday to NFL football. Cheering for the Steelers and against Tom Trump Supporter Brady.

mrmojojak

Postby mrmojojak » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:16 pm

SteelersGal90 wrote: As for the Steelers games, I devote every Sunday to NFL football. Cheering for the Steelers and against Tom Trump Supporter Brady.

There's another reason to stay away from Boston. :wink: I would visit if you're considering it. I called Barbara Burke and she set things up for me. I'm pretty confident about my decision after my visit.

If I was considering it, I'd probably also visit Boston around St. Patrick's day, if not for anything more than to see how they compare with Pittsburgh's own festivities.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:43 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Theyre taking longer than some other schools and the residency form didnt make sense, but theyve been really nice when I called them. Unprofessional is the wrong word fersure. Definitely not worth getting mad about

I'm pretty sure not returning emails is the definition of unprofessional. Seriously, of the ten schools i asked about fee waivers, IUB was the only one to never return an email about it- no email saying yes, no wmail saying no, no email at all. But w/e, I probably won't be attending anyway.

This isn't gym class, its admission to a professional school. I've conducted myself professionally and I expected the schools to act the same.

EDIT: And all that nonsense about the broken status checker was just icing on the cake. And, I guess the no response to my inquiry about scholarship negotiation was the icing on the icing....

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:56 pm

For those wondering about the "cut-off" for full ride, i had a 172 and a GPA over 3 and got 10k a year. They clearly have fewer funds to go around this year.

Also, COMPLETE unprofessionalism from the admissions office. As an accepted student with numbers that suggest I should be going to a better school I was expecting full-on courting from them - ESPECIALLY when I reached out to them but alas, this has not been the case. Compton has never once responded to an email or messages Ive left with his secretary. Dean Motley has also recently joined the ranks of non-responsive admins. Unbelievable that schools I'm waitlisted at give me 10x the courtesy that Indiana has...

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 pm

I had a 177, GPA over 3, and got 5k per year. I haven't seen anyone else with 15,000 total, but a lot of 30,000. I wonder what it was about my app they didn't like. Maybe my undergrad? (LOL)

PopTorts13

Postby PopTorts13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:For those wondering about the "cut-off" for full ride, i had a 172 and a GPA over 3 and got 10k a year. They clearly have fewer funds to go around this year.

Also, COMPLETE unprofessionalism from the admissions office. As an accepted student with numbers that suggest I should be going to a better school I was expecting full-on courting from them - ESPECIALLY when I reached out to them but alas, this has not been the case. Compton has never once responded to an email or messages Ive left with his secretary. Dean Motley has also recently joined the ranks of non-responsive admins. Unbelievable that schools I'm waitlisted at give me 10x the courtesy that Indiana has...

Hm, I received Dean's scholarship +3k a year and the whole Summer start thing. They always get back to me immediately via-email. They are busy, perhaps overwhelmed with trying to get things straight over there. My assumption is that once they declare you as a top priority they respond to you immediately, but if they feel as though you're replaceable they simply continue to admit highly qualified applicants, trying to raise their medians and moreover their rank. Sounds rude and hurtful, but it is a business. Once you are there you will receive undivided attention. My fiance is a 2L there and it really is a phenomenal school. No sense in being worked up over things. If it is a big problem withdraw and go to these other highly ranked schools you speak of. No love lost, no love found.

rocketman299

Postby rocketman299 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:55 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
Hm, I received Dean's scholarship +3k a year and the whole Summer start thing. They always get back to me immediately via-email. They are busy, perhaps overwhelmed with trying to get things straight over there. My assumption is that once they declare you as a top priority they respond to you immediately, but if they feel as though you're replaceable they simply continue to admit highly qualified applicants, trying to raise their medians and moreover their rank. Sounds rude and hurtful, but it is a business. Once you are there you will receive undivided attention. My fiance is a 2L there and it really is a phenomenal school. No sense in being worked up over things. If it is a big problem withdraw and go to these other highly ranked schools you speak of. No love lost, no love found.

^^^^ This. It would be difficult not to attend if offered a full-ride + 3k a year.

SteelersGal90

Postby SteelersGal90 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 pm

mrmojojak wrote:
SteelersGal90 wrote: As for the Steelers games, I devote every Sunday to NFL football. Cheering for the Steelers and against Tom Trump Supporter Brady.

There's another reason to stay away from Boston. :wink: I would visit if you're considering it. I called Barbara Burke and she set things up for me. I'm pretty confident about my decision after my visit.

If I was considering it, I'd probably also visit Boston around St. Patrick's day, if not for anything more than to see how they compare with Pittsburgh's own festivities.

True, but I'm no stranger to haters...I am from Browns territory and there are no haters quite like Browns fans. I am only a few hours drive from Bloomington so I was planning on making a trip sometime within the next week or two...after I call the office that is! My spring break includes St. Patty's Day...so Boston for St. Patty's may be a good idea, except for the probably ridiculously expensive airfare/hotel rooms. Nothing compares to Pittsburgh!

B986

Postby B986 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 am

PopTorts13 wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:For those wondering about the "cut-off" for full ride, i had a 172 and a GPA over 3 and got 10k a year. They clearly have fewer funds to go around this year.

I meannnnn... I'm sure if a school gave me full tuition and money on top of that, I'd have a hard time harboring or expressing any frustration or negative feelings toward them, too. That doesn't mean the admissions office isn't a complete and utter mess. This isn't their first rodeo, so I'm just confused as to how and why they are so all over the place. Anyway, congrats on your scholarship, that's awesome!

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 am

My experience was completely different last year. There was a student ambassador that reached out to me, asking me to apply and acting as a point of contact the entire admissions cycle and the office always responded to my emails within probably two hours. I know at least two things changed - the director of recruiting left and is now the director of admissions at another school and they enabled a status checker and are trying to create a system that is more in line with a lot of other schools.

The director left in October 2011, which was probably a rough time to lose such a key person. I imagine losing somebody like that would create a lot of the havoc some of you are experiencing right now.

I know it's frustrating when you don't feel like you're being taken care of, but hang in there. For what it's worth, if you're frustrated at IUB's timeline, never apply to Arizona State.....hooolycow. good luck to all those still waiting.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:17 pm

TommyK wrote:My experience was completely different last year. There was a student ambassador that reached out to me, asking me to apply and acting as a point of contact the entire admissions cycle and the office always responded to my emails within probably two hours. I know at least two things changed - the director of recruiting left and is now the director of admissions at another school and they enabled a status checker and are trying to create a system that is more in line with a lot of other schools.

The director left in October 2011, which was probably a rough time to lose such a key person. I imagine losing somebody like that would create a lot of the havoc some of you are experiencing right now.

I know it's frustrating when you don't feel like you're being taken care of, but hang in there. For what it's worth, if you're frustrated at IUB's timeline, never apply to Arizona State.....hooolycow. good luck to all those still waiting.

I received a phone call this year from a student ambassador - essentially called to see if I had any questions, concerns, etc.

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

I just updated today and it says "decision mailed." It says nothing about admit packet under mailings, and I didn't get an acceptance email. Does this mean I'm rejected?

btw384

Postby btw384 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:47 pm

7ate9 wrote:
TommyK wrote:My experience was completely different last year. There was a student ambassador that reached out to me, asking me to apply and acting as a point of contact the entire admissions cycle and the office always responded to my emails within probably two hours. I know at least two things changed - the director of recruiting left and is now the director of admissions at another school and they enabled a status checker and are trying to create a system that is more in line with a lot of other schools.

I received a phone call this year from a student ambassador - essentially called to see if I had any questions, concerns, etc.

+1

The student ambassador has actually been very helpful so far. I appreciate the schools that do this (Indiana, Illinois, etc..) It is nice to have someone to give you one-on-one assistance and answer your questions. I agree, though, that Indiana has been pretty slow for the most part.

clarion

Postby clarion » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:55 pm

nellie_bly wrote:I just updated today and it says "decision mailed." It says nothing about admit packet under mailings, and I didn't get an acceptance email. Does this mean I'm rejected?

+1 same. We'll see what happens I guess. Maybe an email is coming later today? :\

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”